Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Should Marvel ban Superman knockoffs characters?

• 84 results
    tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tigerkaya

In truth I have become sick and tired of the wash and repeat of Superman clones, their unoriginal and just an excuse for writer to showoff their talents in deconstructing the original character. They have become so large a focus I have grown tired off them and would rather have them banned. For me When I think DC powerhouse I think Superman, Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel and Marvel Silver Surfer, Thor, Thing and Hulk. Guys like Sentry I detest for their contrived origin and otherwise overpowered ability to give writers an excuse to showoff their love of Superman or a crazy evil Superman that has otherwise flooded the media to teeth grinding annoyance. In truth I think Marvel should ban writers from using Superman characters and and his overpowered abilities. Thats means no Hyperion, Sentry, Count Nefario, and even Gladiator.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

No... no... "don't do dhat"-Daylyt

(+)

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No... no... "don't do dhat"-Daylyt

(+)

Why they have no place in Marvel. 9 times out of ten they either predictably written to either being evil and overpowered. Say Good riddance if they are all wiped out.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@tigerkaya: So should Aquaman be banned from DC because of Namor? Should Black Mask be banned from DC because of Red Skull? Should Green Arrow be ban... never mind. I'm not even gonna.

*sigh*

I disagree and I'll leave it at that.

(+)

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PeppeyHare

No

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Fallschirmjager

If we banned every character that Marvel/DC made in response to a character DC/Marvel made...we'd literally have to destroy half of each company's characters.

Thanos for example? Peace. The Avengers? Peace.

So, no.

@tigerkaya: So should Aquaman be banned from DC because of Namor?

I know you're just trying to make a point (that I agree with) and that you're *technically* correct, however I will say that Aquaman only came out like a year after Namor and at the time Namor had appeared in only 10-12 issues (none of which were his own series) and was basically in limbo. He didn't get his own book and take off until after Aquaman came out :P

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: But the Superman one is the most common knockoff and repetitive knockoff I'm targeting from Marvel. Everything else from the two copying from each other I'm not bothered.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is extremely stupid. The Sentry and Superman have nothing in common. Their powers, personalities, origins and style are completely different. The only thing they have in common is the 'S' they wear, but who said that was exclusive to Superman? You would have more of a case with Hyperion who is suppose to be inspired by Superman.

But again like I said when does Superman have a copyright to powerhouses that fly??? Overpowered abilities??? They're are way more overpowered people than the Sentry in both Marvel and DC, don't even get me started. Again since when does Superman have a copyright on powerhouses that fly???

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is extremely stupid. The Sentry and Superman have nothing in common. Their powers, personalities, origins and style are completely different. The only thing they have in common is the 'S' they wear, but who said that was exclusive to Superman? You would have more of a case with Hyperion who is suppose to be inspired by Superman.

But again like I said when does Superman have a copyright to powerhouses that fly??? Overpowered abilities??? They're are way more overpowered people than the Sentry in both Marvel and DC, don't even get me started. Again since when does Superman have a copyright on powerhouses that fly???

I usually don't agree with the people who bash on character inspired by Superman, but he actually has a point. A lot of the characters he mentioned were spawned for the specific purpose of showing off how much a write is "better at Superman". Everybody was like "Yeah, Sentry is how Superman would actually be!"

Even though each one of these characters may have served purpose originally, I think it would be better if they didn't stick around for main ongoing continuities, because, since their origins and concept designs are what they are, they end up looking all the same.

If you notice, he's bashing characters who have distinctive winks at Superman, like Sentry and Hyperion, but didn't say anything about Wonder Man or Captain Marvel, two flying powerhouses (to your point) that are clearly designed for something else.

I think that the OP could have us think about why a writer decides to give so much space to a meta-character (a character that comments on a character).

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have completely different personalities. Ofcourse there would be subtle knock-offs. Superman was the first superhero!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Just because a character has super-strength, can fly, and has a cape doesn't make them a "Superman rip-off."

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they were just inspired sure theres a few differences between certain characters but that doesnt mean we can call every single one of them a ripoff

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tigerkaya

@matteopg said:

@king_stranglehold_da_first said:

I usually don't agree with the people who bash on character inspired by Superman, but he actually has a point. A lot of the characters he mentioned were spawned for the specific purpose of showing off how much a write is "better at Superman". Everybody was like "Yeah, Sentry is how Superman would actually be!"

Even though each one of these characters may have served purpose originally, I think it would be better if they didn't stick around for main ongoing continuities, because, since their origins and concept designs are what they are, they end up looking all the same.

If you notice, he's bashing characters who have distinctive winks at Superman, like Sentry and Hyperion, but didn't say anything about Wonder Man or Captain Marvel, two flying powerhouses (to your point) that are clearly designed for something else.

I think that the OP could have us think about why a writer decides to give so much space to a meta-character (a character that comments on a character).

Exactly, if I wanted to add Wonder Man and Captain Marvel I would have added them to the list but their not the issue. While I understand a writers obsession to deconstruct the Superman character I feel if he's just going to make them an insanely evil bastard why bother making them when so many writers before have already given us the evil Superman it becomes cycle more than an innovation and just writers excuse to showing off writing Superman slaughtering million in his wake. Its why I hate guys like Hyperion and Sentry nine out of ten their either a pure Superman knockoff or just plain evil.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kgb725

@tigerkaya: Sentry isnt evil and he has very few similarities to superman.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rubear

@kgb725 said:

///

That so much you now. I really hope you are not him...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Blame Bendis for ruining Sentry. Originally he had very little in common with Superman.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By HumanRocket

And again more needless hate towards the Sentry.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#18  Edited By Teerack

I love how people love to discredit themselves so quickly by jumping to throw in Sentry's name when talking about Superman clones. It's just like "Well he's strong, and can fly, and has an S on his outfits... SUPER MAN DUUUR" lol. The characters are nothing a like and are incredibly different in really almost every way you can think of other then being strong, flying, and wearing a cape.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Gladiator and Hyperion actually have way more in common with Superman, Hyperion I don't care about but we need more Gladiator if anything, Yes he is technically a knockoff but he's grown into his own and is IMO equally as interesting as the original Man of Steel. Plus he has awesome hair.

No Caption Provided

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Teerack
    @joshmightbe said:

Gladiator and Hyperion actually have way more in common with Superman, Hyperion I don't care about but we need more Gladiator if anything, Yes he is technically a knockoff but he's grown into his own and is IMO equally as interesting as the original Man of Steel. Plus he has awesome hair.

No Caption Provided

I like Hyperion because of how shamefully marvel ripped off DC. I mean it's not even just his looks, but the fact that he gets his powers from the sun, has all of superman's secondary powers like microscopic vision, and even shares the same origin being the last of his kind to escape his exploding home world as a baby in a rocket to be raised by some farmer on earth.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By joshmightbe

@teerack: I always considered Hyperion Marvel's big middle finger pointed directly at DC

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: I always considered Hyperion Marvel's big middle finger pointed directly at DC

Exactly that's why I find it so funny that Marvel is trying to give him a center stage role now.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Gladiator was given more of a pass since the entire Shi' Ar imperial guard were basically a LOSH knock off at first.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By z3ro180

No clearly you don't know what a knock off is. A knock off would be Marvel publishing superman under a different name. Sentry has nouthing in common and Hyperion yes he has a very very very similar origin and power set but like gladiator has come into his own.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By joshmightbe

Y'know DC and Image both have a pretty long list of Superman knock offs as well.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

DC themselves has "knock off Superman" characters, the fact is just because they were inspired by a certain character does not mean they shouldn't be used because you have a problem with it because obviously you're in the minority with your opinion. Sentry, Gladiator, Hyperion re all characters whose origin and personality differ from Clark, and they have grown into their own place as beloved characters that people enjoy, you don't like it don't pick up those comics.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingimmortalman: There are actually some pretty great characters that are technically Superman knock offs, like Majestic, Invincible and Omni-Man.

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingimmortalman: There are actually some pretty great characters that are technically Superman knock offs, like Majestic, Invincible and Omni-Man.

yea that was my point, just because they were inspired by Supes doesn't make them bad characters. I love Senry, I am a fan of Kallark, although I didn't read much of Mr. Majestic I have liked what little I read.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingimmortalman: I'm a big Gladiator fan, I like to think this is how Superman would be if he had landed on Thanagar instead of Earth or some other place with a dominant warrior culture.

TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingimmortalman: I'm a big Gladiator fan, I like to think this is how Superman would be if he had landed on Thanagar instead of Earth or some other place with a dominant warrior culture.

That makes a lot of sense, Glads is awesome

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@fallschirmjager said:

If we banned every character that Marvel/DC made in response to a character DC/Marvel made...we'd literally have to destroy half of each company's characters.

So, no.

@yung_ancient_one said:

I know you're just trying to make a point (that I agree with) and that you're *technically* correct, however I will say that Aquaman only came out like a year after Namor and at the time Namor had appeared in only 10-12 issues (none of which were his own series) and was basically in limbo. He didn't get his own book and take off until after Aquaman came out :P

I believe it's also said that Aquaman was royalty before Namor and most of Namor's origin ended up changing o be similar to AQ's.

Um Aquaman came out 2 years after Namor.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@justthatkid said:

@fallschirmjager said:

So, no.

@yung_ancient_one said:

I believe it's also said that Aquaman was royalty before Namor and most of Namor's origin ended up changing o be similar to AQ's.

Um Aquaman came out 2 years after Namor.

That doesn't mean anything in terms of origin and history with each character I'm aware of Namor-1939 and Aquaman-1941. The similarity between them is just powers and "Atlantis" which was mentioned first by DC.

Well Atlantis was mentioned first by the Romans but any way neither of these two characters are the first water based superhero anyway

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This. So much.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: If we want to get technical pretty much all of the Golden Age Super heroes were just knock offs of mythological archetypes and pulp novel characters.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: If we want to get technical pretty much all of the Golden Age Super heroes were just knock offs of mythological archetypes and pulp novel characters.

That's true and it still annoys me that somehow pepole don't consider pulp characters as superheroes

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
    youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By youmessinwithme

Current Hyperion acts more like Superman than new 52 Superman does... So i'm a fan of seeing him around since it's pretty much: what if Superman was in Marvel?

or more specifically what if pre-crisis Superman fell through inter or extra dimensional limbo and was pulled through to earth 616.

also a bunch of the Namor dissing in this thread just isn`t true, he was first, had his own series first, was royalty first and had telepathy with aquatic creatures first. BAM! AQ is a straight up Namor parody to the same degree Gladiator or the sentry are Superman parodys. and Gladiator`s name is taken from an even older character from whom superman is based off of(kinda) just to kinda say we know were ripping you guys off, but you ripped it off anyway so you can`t sue us.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe said:

That's true and it still annoys me that somehow pepole don't consider pulp characters as superheroes

I always considered the Shadow a sort of proto-super hero, basically he had all the ingredients he just came out before Super heroes were an actual genre so people assume he doesn't really count as one.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

@joshmightbe said:

I always considered the Shadow a sort of proto-super hero, basically he had all the ingredients he just came out before Super heroes were an actual genre so people assume he doesn't really count as one.

I mean if you combine Batman with Superman you get Doc Savage

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By joshmightbe

@jonny_anonymous: Speaking of pulp heroes, the name for Gladiator is actually a nod to a pulp hero novel many believe was the original inspiration for Superman.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Yea Hugo Danner.

But get this, on one hand Doc Svage is:

his worlds greatest detective

master strategist

master inventor

master martial artist

a millionaire philanthropist

used a special diet and training to become the peak of human potential

and on the other hand he was:

defender of truth, justice & the American way

beacon of hope

Named Clark

called the Man of Bronze and the Man of Tomorrow

had a secret base in the arctic called the Fortress of Solitude.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By joshmightbe

@jonny_anonymous: He was also the direct inspiration for pretty much every super scientist in modern fiction. Dr. Jonas Venture sr. from Venture Brothers is a pretty spot on parody of him but everyone from Benton Quest to Reed Richards owes a bit of their inspiration to Doc Savage, Doc Sampson's name was even a nod to him.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: He was also the direct inspiration for pretty much every super scientist in modern fiction. Dr. Jonas Venture sr. from Venture Brothers is a pretty spot on parody of him but everyone from Benton Quest to Reed Richards owes a bit of their inspiration to Doc Savage, Doc Sampson's name was even a nod to him.

It's a shame they don't get more credit

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
    HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No your wrong, Captain Marvel will be Infinitely better then Superman and will be an amazing movie ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.