Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Multiverse Vs Omniverse

• 143 results
    Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By Fire-brand
    @rbysjti: how did i defy the definition of people? you don't need to be a person to be in your own universe.
    rbysjti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By rbysjti
    @Fire-brand said:
    " @rbysjti: how did i defy the definition of people? you don't need to be a person to be in your own universe. "
    Because people in marvel comics are also people living here on earth

You are telling me that omniverse includes the real and unreal universe which shouldn't be the case.

If you have watched "The One" it has given us a clear idea of a multiverse.  It didn't include unreal universes like cartoon universes.
    Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Fire-brand

a multiverse doesn't need fictional characters. the omniverse, by definition, contains all universes. ALL. now if you wat to redefine marvel as not being a universe thats fine with me.

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Yumulu

Hmm why is this in editing & tool forum?

Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Fire-brand
    @Yumulu: no idea what so ever.
    gobstakid777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By gobstakid777
    @rbysjti said:
    " @Baldy said:
    "

How did this get to four pages? It's a fairly simple concept.

The term omni-verse literally means all universes. This includes all real and fictional universes, all of the ones in the past, future, and present. In comics, however, omni-verse generally refers to all of the universes that are owned by that specific company.

A multi-verse is even more simple as it merely refers to more than one universe. It could refer to only a couple to an infinite number of universes.

"
    I disagree with your definition of the word: omniverse  Marvel Comics has its own omniverse. So has DC. But since they had a crossover, we can also say DC's omniverse includes Marvel's multiverses. vice versa. But it won't include the real universe  which is our universe. Why  combine fiction from non-fiction?   The reality has its own omniverse. But it does not include universes created by man's imagination. "
    I really like this defintiion 

@courtney12490
    said:
    " @gobstakid777 said:
    " You know what! 
    Screw all this crap! 
    I'M Intervening 

First of all, omniverse, megaverse, and multiverse mean the exact same thing, because in the end, it just means infinite universes
    And Second, I'm creating a new catergory: The Pantoverse. Panto= "every"  Pantoverse= every omniverse, including the omniverse which we live  There. I did it! "
    Omniverse, Megaverse and Mulitverse don't all mean the same thing. A Megaverse and a Multiverse are debatably the same thing. An Omniverse, however, would contain all the Megaverses, Multiverse and any other universe. So don't intervene unless you actually know what you're talking about.
    I'm just saying that when you break it all down, all 3 terms equate to infinite universes
    gobstakid777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By gobstakid777
    @rbysjti said:
    " @Fire-brand said:
    " @courtney12490: theres a reason i was laughing as i wrote that. but yeah, although i like my definition more, a mega verse is a multiverse. "
    a megaverse is not a multiverse. They're different. I think mega = million. But multi can be at any numbers.

@Fire-brand said:
    " @courtney12490 said:
    " @rbysjti said:
    " @courtney12490 said:
    " @Fire-brand said:
    " so let me see if i have this straight.  universe= standard single verse such as marvel 616 multiverse= a group of universes such as the marvel multiverse megaverse= a really freaking big universe  omniverse= all multiverses and megaverses combined. all comic book realities spanning all brands and publishers. "
    I don't really know what place a megaverse has here, but the rest, with the exception of the omniverse are correct. The Omniverse is not  only all multiverse and megaverse and all brands and publishers, it is also our universe and any other universe out there.  

@rbysjti said:

It's fine that you disagree, but it doesn't make you correct. Marvel and DC don't have their own Omniverse, they each have multiverse. THERE IS ONLY ONE OMNIVERSE AND IT INCLUDES ANY AND ALL KNOWN AND UNKNOWN UNIVERSES/MULTIVERSE. I don't know how to make it any clearer than that. "
    I disagree with that. The omniverse can only be one. But since man can create imaginations, they can create there own universe, but fails to be part of the real omniverse. Fiction cannot be combined with non-fiction.  Tell me, who do you consider as the omnipotent in Marvel? "
    Again, it's fine if you disagree, but it doesn't make you correct. In fact, in this case, it makes you incorrect. If somebody "created" a universe in their minds, then it would be part of the Omniverse. The Omniverse does combine fiction and non-fiction, it is by definition every universe whether it's made up or real, like ours."
    that's assuming our universe is real. holy crap this thread just went from defining terms to a philosophy discussion. "
    Nope. A person creating his own universe is still not part of the real omniverse cos it doesn't really exist. It's just an IMAGINATION. But i'm not angry ok? I'm just emphasizing that word. You can't combine both. Tell me , if you're gonna be told to get the whole earth's population, are you going to include cartoon characters and anybody created by man's imagination? "
    Alright, well if imaganry beings aren't part of the omniverse, that means fiction is not part of the omniverse, meaning marvel is not part of the "real" omniverse. So why can't we give them their own omniverse?
    Waffle Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Waffle Fries

Here is a break down of Marvel's universe and the Omniverse.

The link to the source: 
     http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Multiverse-%28Marvel-Comics%29 

Everything below was copied from the above link/source.

"Universe/continuity

A Universe/continuity is a single reality, such as Earth-616, the mainstream Marvel Universe/Continuity. Note that in Marvel Comics, the concept of a continuity is not the same as "dimension" or "universe"; for example, characters like Mephisto and Dormammu hail from alternate dimensions and the Celestials from another universe, but they all nevertheless belong to Earth-616. A continuity should also not be confused with an imprint; for example, while the titles of some imprints, such as Ultimate Marvel, take place in a different continuity, some or all publications in other imprints, such as Epic Comics, Marvel MAX, and Marvel UK, take place within the Earth-616 continuity. Note that in context the Marvel Universe is often used to refer to the Marvel Multiverse or even the Marvel Megaverse. In the fictional Marvel Universe, Earth-616 or Earth 616 is the name used to identify the primary continuity in which most Marvel Comics titles take place. ... This article is about the Marvel Comics character. ... Dormammu is a fictional character in the Marvel Comics universe. ... Arishem towers in the distance and judges that a world shall die. ... For other uses, see Universe (disambiguation). ... This article is about imprints in publishing. ... The various characters of the Ultimate Marvel Universe, as seen on the cover of Ultimates (v2) #12. ... Epic Comics was a creator-owned imprint of Marvel Comics started in 1982, lasting through the mid-1990s, and being briefly revived on a small scale in the mid-2000s. ... MAX is an imprint of Marvel Comics intended for adult audiences, launched in 2001 after Marvel broke with the Comics Code Authority and established its own rating system. ... The Mighty World of Marvel #1: The very first Marvel UK title published in 1972. ... In the fictional Marvel Universe, Earth-616 or Earth 616 is the name used to identify the primary continuity in which most Marvel Comics titles take place. ... This does not cite any references or sources. ...

• Uni is the Latin prefix meaning "one."

Multiverse

A Multiverse is the collection of alternate universes with a similar nature and a universal hierarchy. The Marvel multiverse contains Earth-616, most of the What If? worlds, as well as the vast number of the alternate Earths seen in the Marvel Universe. A multiverse (or meta-universe) is the hypothetical set of multiple possible universes (including our universe) that together comprise all of physical reality. ...

The original term and concept were coined by Michael Moorcock for his " Eternal Champion" sequence where the lead characters are analogous to the Captain Britain Corps. Michael John Moorcock (born December 18, 1939, in London, England) is a prolific English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels. ... The Eternal Champion is a fictional creation of the author Michael Moorcock and is a recurrent feature in many of his novels. ...

• Multi is the Latin prefix meaning "many."

Megaverse

There are certain universes which are tied to the Marvel multiverse - such as the New Universe and the Ultraverse - which do not share any open similarities to it, and thus are not strictly part of the larger universal hierarchy that forms the Marvel multiverse, but at the same time, are not so far removed that they existed in a separate multiverse. The 21st century edition of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe posits the term Megaverse as the name for this larger grouping, though since there is always the chance that some future publications will increase the interactions between different Multiverses, this is a fluid definition. Promotional Advertisement for The New Universe, Marvel Comics Group, circa 1986. ... The Ultraverse was the name given to a comic book imprint published by Malibu Comics. ...

• Mega is the Greek prefix meaning "great."

Omniverse

The Omniverse is the collection of every single universe, multiverse, dimension (alternate or pocket) and realm. This includes not only Marvel Comics, but also DC Comics, Image, Dark Horse, Archie, and every universe ever mentioned or seen (and an infinite amount never mentioned or seen) including our own world. Everything is in the Omniverse, and there is only one Omniverse. DC Comics is an American comic book and related media company. ... Image Comics is an American comic book publisher. ... This article does not cite any references or sources. ... Archie Comics is an American comic book publisher known for its many series featuring the fictional teenage Archie Andrews, Betty Cooper, Veronica Lodge, Reggie Mantle and Forsythe Jughead Jones characters created by Bob Montana. ...

• Omni is the Latin prefix meaning "all."
    The term was coined by Mark Gruenwald in his fan publication, A Treatise in Reality in Comics Literature[2], and was also the name of the fanzine that he published for two issues before being hired by Marvel."
    gobstakid777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By gobstakid777
    @Waffle Fries said:
    " Here is a break down of Marvel's universe and the Omniverse.

The link to the source: 
     http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Multiverse-%28Marvel-Comics%29 

Everything below was copied from the above link/source.

"Universe/continuity

A Universe/continuity is a single reality, such as Earth-616, the mainstream Marvel Universe/Continuity. Note that in Marvel Comics, the concept of a continuity is not the same as "dimension" or "universe"; for example, characters like Mephisto and Dormammu hail from alternate dimensions and the Celestials from another universe, but they all nevertheless belong to Earth-616. A continuity should also not be confused with an imprint; for example, while the titles of some imprints, such as Ultimate Marvel, take place in a different continuity, some or all publications in other imprints, such as Epic Comics, Marvel MAX, and Marvel UK, take place within the Earth-616 continuity. Note that in context the Marvel Universe is often used to refer to the Marvel Multiverse or even the Marvel Megaverse. In the fictional Marvel Universe, Earth-616 or Earth 616 is the name used to identify the primary continuity in which most Marvel Comics titles take place. ... This article is about the Marvel Comics character. ... Dormammu is a fictional character in the Marvel Comics universe. ... Arishem towers in the distance and judges that a world shall die. ... For other uses, see Universe (disambiguation). ... This article is about imprints in publishing. ... The various characters of the Ultimate Marvel Universe, as seen on the cover of Ultimates (v2) #12. ... Epic Comics was a creator-owned imprint of Marvel Comics started in 1982, lasting through the mid-1990s, and being briefly revived on a small scale in the mid-2000s. ... MAX is an imprint of Marvel Comics intended for adult audiences, launched in 2001 after Marvel broke with the Comics Code Authority and established its own rating system. ... The Mighty World of Marvel #1: The very first Marvel UK title published in 1972. ... In the fictional Marvel Universe, Earth-616 or Earth 616 is the name used to identify the primary continuity in which most Marvel Comics titles take place. ... This does not cite any references or sources. ...

• Uni is the Latin prefix meaning "one."

Multiverse

A Multiverse is the collection of alternate universes with a similar nature and a universal hierarchy. The Marvel multiverse contains Earth-616, most of the What If? worlds, as well as the vast number of the alternate Earths seen in the Marvel Universe. A multiverse (or meta-universe) is the hypothetical set of multiple possible universes (including our universe) that together comprise all of physical reality. ...

The original term and concept were coined by Michael Moorcock for his " Eternal Champion" sequence where the lead characters are analogous to the Captain Britain Corps. Michael John Moorcock (born December 18, 1939, in London, England) is a prolific English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels. ... The Eternal Champion is a fictional creation of the author Michael Moorcock and is a recurrent feature in many of his novels. ...

• Multi is the Latin prefix meaning "many."

Megaverse

There are certain universes which are tied to the Marvel multiverse - such as the New Universe and the Ultraverse - which do not share any open similarities to it, and thus are not strictly part of the larger universal hierarchy that forms the Marvel multiverse, but at the same time, are not so far removed that they existed in a separate multiverse. The 21st century edition of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe posits the term Megaverse as the name for this larger grouping, though since there is always the chance that some future publications will increase the interactions between different Multiverses, this is a fluid definition. Promotional Advertisement for The New Universe, Marvel Comics Group, circa 1986. ... The Ultraverse was the name given to a comic book imprint published by Malibu Comics. ...

• Mega is the Greek prefix meaning "great."

Omniverse

The Omniverse is the collection of every single universe, multiverse, dimension (alternate or pocket) and realm. This includes not only Marvel Comics, but also DC Comics, Image, Dark Horse, Archie, and every universe ever mentioned or seen (and an infinite amount never mentioned or seen) including our own world. Everything is in the Omniverse, and there is only one Omniverse. DC Comics is an American comic book and related media company. ... Image Comics is an American comic book publisher. ... This article does not cite any references or sources. ... Archie Comics is an American comic book publisher known for its many series featuring the fictional teenage Archie Andrews, Betty Cooper, Veronica Lodge, Reggie Mantle and Forsythe Jughead Jones characters created by Bob Montana. ...

• Omni is the Latin prefix meaning "all."
    The term was coined by Mark Gruenwald in his fan publication, A Treatise in Reality in Comics Literature[2], and was also the name of the fanzine that he published for two issues before being hired by Marvel." "
    Dude, his is all from wikipedia, and I don't trust wikipedia's word with a grain of salt
    Waffle Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Waffle Fries
    @gobstakid777: It's not from Wikipedia, and at the bottom of the article it lists it's sources. And the information is as correct as any dictionary or physicist will tell you. Do some damn research instead of just making shit up on the top of your head because that is all you have been doing. I only used the above link because it spells it out without you having to break a mental sweat. I also posted in an earlier post in this thread a youtube video of a physicist explaining the Omniverse and how it encompasses all real and unreal realities. You are literally as dense as a rock. Every single definition of the Omniverse is the same. There is only one Omniverse real or imagined. It encompasses all possible realities known and unknown.

Edit: Oh, and here is a link from marvel explaining what the Omniverse is.

http://marvel.com/universe/Glossary:O#Omniverse 

Omniverse

The collection of every single universe, dimension, reality, etc. This includes the real world, as well as the Marvel Universe, the Star Trek Universe, the Image Universe, etc.

But I guess you can't trust them either.

gobstakid777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By gobstakid777
    @Waffle Fries said:
    " @gobstakid777: It's not from Wikipedia, and at the bottom of the article it lists it's sources. And the information is as correct as any dictionary or physicist will tell you. Do some damn research instead of just making shit up on the top of your head because that is all you have been doing. I only used the above link because it spells it out without you having to break a mental sweat. I also posted in an earlier post in this thread a youtube video of a physicist explaining the Omniverse and how it encompasses all real and unreal realities. You are literally as dense as a rock. Every single definition of the Omniverse is the same. There is only one Omniverse real or imagined. It encompasses all possible realities known and unknown.

Edit: Oh, and here is a link from marvel explaining what the Omniverse is.

http://marvel.com/universe/Glossary:O#Omniverse 

Omniverse

The collection of every single universe, dimension, reality, etc. This includes the real world, as well as the Marvel Universe, the Star Trek Universe, the Image Universe, etc.

But I guess you can't trust them either.

"
    Meh
    courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#112  Edited By courtney12490
    @gobstakid777 said:
    " @rbysjti said:
    " @Fire-brand said:
    " @courtney12490: theres a reason i was laughing as i wrote that. but yeah, although i like my definition more, a mega verse is a multiverse. "
    a megaverse is not a multiverse. They're different. I think mega = million. But multi can be at any numbers.

@Fire-brand said:
    " @courtney12490 said:
    " @rbysjti said:
    " @courtney12490 said:
    " @Fire-brand said:
    " so let me see if i have this straight.  universe= standard single verse such as marvel 616 multiverse= a group of universes such as the marvel multiverse megaverse= a really freaking big universe  omniverse= all multiverses and megaverses combined. all comic book realities spanning all brands and publishers. "
    I don't really know what place a megaverse has here, but the rest, with the exception of the omniverse are correct. The Omniverse is not  only all multiverse and megaverse and all brands and publishers, it is also our universe and any other universe out there.  

@rbysjti said:

It's fine that you disagree, but it doesn't make you correct. Marvel and DC don't have their own Omniverse, they each have multiverse. THERE IS ONLY ONE OMNIVERSE AND IT INCLUDES ANY AND ALL KNOWN AND UNKNOWN UNIVERSES/MULTIVERSE. I don't know how to make it any clearer than that. "
    I disagree with that. The omniverse can only be one. But since man can create imaginations, they can create there own universe, but fails to be part of the real omniverse. Fiction cannot be combined with non-fiction.  Tell me, who do you consider as the omnipotent in Marvel? "
    Again, it's fine if you disagree, but it doesn't make you correct. In fact, in this case, it makes you incorrect. If somebody "created" a universe in their minds, then it would be part of the Omniverse. The Omniverse does combine fiction and non-fiction, it is by definition every universe whether it's made up or real, like ours."
    that's assuming our universe is real. holy crap this thread just went from defining terms to a philosophy discussion. "
    Nope. A person creating his own universe is still not part of the real omniverse cos it doesn't really exist. It's just an IMAGINATION. But i'm not angry ok? I'm just emphasizing that word. You can't combine both. Tell me , if you're gonna be told to get the whole earth's population, are you going to include cartoon characters and anybody created by man's imagination? "
    Alright, well if imaganry beings aren't part of the omniverse, that means fiction is not part of the omniverse, meaning marvel is not part of the "real" omniverse. So why can't we give them their own omniverse? "
    rbysjti was wrong. Imaginary beings are part of the Omniverse, making fiction part of the Omniverse. Like I have said six or seven times before: The Omniverse is all universes and multiverse, real and make believe, known and unknown all thrown together into one big Omniverse.
    gobstakid777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By gobstakid777
    @courtney12490 said:
    " @gobstakid777 said:
    " @rbysjti said:
    " @Fire-brand said:

@Fire-brand said:
    " @courtney12490 said:
    " @rbysjti said:
    " @courtney12490 said:
    " @Fire-brand said:

@rbysjti said:

Alright, well if imaganry beings aren't part of the omniverse, that means fiction is not part of the omniverse, meaning marvel is not part of the "real" omniverse. So why can't we give them their own omniverse? "
    rbysjti was wrong. Imaginary beings are part of the Omniverse, making fiction part of the Omniverse. Like I have said six or seven times before: The Omniverse is all universes and multiverse, real and make believe, known and unknown all thrown together into one big Omniverse. "
    But.... Suppose what you are proposing is true. I just imagined up an evil character who can obliterate the omniverse with a thought and whose sole purpose in life is to destroy the omniverse. This imaginary being I created is now part of the omniverse, and thus is real. So, are we in danger now?
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#114  Edited By warlock360

In a different reality that is also part of the omniverse, yes.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By xybernauts
    @Waffle Fries said:

"  The term Omniverse means all possible realities. Marvel can say that they have their own "Omniverse". That's fine, It's make believe. But the real term Omniverse means all realities/universes/multiverses. That would include our world, alternate/parallel universes, ect. The world of Marvel and it's parallel universes in actuality would be closer in definition to a multiverse. The same goes for DC and any other make believe world. Combined multiverses, including our own world and any other multiverse we are unaware of would make up the true Omniverse. "

I don't think anyone's trolling. It's a legit question.  I think Waffle Fries has the right idea. I was gonna say the same thing. The Omniverse is that verse that allows comic book company crossovers like Marvel-DC's Amalgam comics or World's Collide, or Image/ Valiant's Deathmate. etc.  

There's nothing in the pics that suggest that Marvel's definition of omniverse is limited to the Marvel universe. For all we know maybe they are including other verses like DC, etc. 
    gobstakid777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By gobstakid777
    @Voidheart said:
    " In a different reality that is also part of the omniverse, yes. "
    But i created a being with omniverse-threatening power. Such being exists now, and such being could destroy the omniiverse, inclduing us. So what' stopping this being?
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By warlock360

The being that I created being able to stop yours  ;)

gobstakid777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By gobstakid777
    @Voidheart said:

" The being that I created being able to stop yours  ;) "

But I just created a being a centillion times more powerful than yours ;P 

Although, doesn't this technically make us reality warpers? 

What If created a being that can dimension-hop across any multiverse and teleport anywhere instantly, instantly locate and track me,  and can grant my wishes, whose sole purpose is to come to this exact planet in this exact universe, and grant my every desire  

Why isn't this being here now? I created it, and thus it technically exists, so why isn't it here granting my wishes?
    Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Fire-brand
    @gobstakid777:  i highly doubt that you could imagine a character powerful enough to extend through its own multiverse into ours. you may think it's an omniversal threat when in reality it is a multiversal threat.
    courtney12490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By courtney12490
    @gobstakid777 said:
    " @courtney12490 said:
    " @gobstakid777 said:
    " @rbysjti said:
    " @Fire-brand said:

@Fire-brand said:
    " @courtney12490 said:
    " @rbysjti said:
    " @courtney12490 said:
    " @Fire-brand said:

@rbysjti said:

rbysjti was wrong. Imaginary beings are part of the Omniverse, making fiction part of the Omniverse. Like I have said six or seven times before: The Omniverse is all universes and multiverse, real and make believe, known and unknown all thrown together into one big Omniverse. "
    But.... Suppose what you are proposing is true. I just imagined up an evil character who can obliterate the omniverse with a thought and whose sole purpose in life is to destroy the omniverse. This imaginary being I created is now part of the omniverse, and thus is real. So, are we in danger now? "
    OH NOES!!!!!!!!!  
    *Runs and hides*
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By warlock360
    @gobstakid777: It does, just not ours. We invent things and therefore it comes to life, just not here and now (all the time, plastic for instance never saw the light of day until humans created it). And since the universe is infinite, EVERYTHING has to exist SOMEWHERE.
    Waffle Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Waffle Fries
    @Voidheart said:
    " @gobstakid777: It does, just not ours. We invent things and therefore it comes to life, just not here and now (all the time, plastic for instance never saw the light of day until humans created it). And since the universe is infinite, EVERYTHING has to exist SOMEWHERE. "

Time is relative right? Time doesn't exist. So there is no past, future... There is only now =O
    xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By xybernauts
    @Waffle Fries said:

" @Voidheart said:

" @gobstakid777: It does, just not ours. We invent things and therefore it comes to life, just not here and now (all the time, plastic for instance never saw the light of day until humans created it). And since the universe is infinite, EVERYTHING has to exist SOMEWHERE. "
     Time is relative right? Time doesn't exist. So there is no past, future... There is only now =O "
    Well technically if time is just an illusion then there is no "NOW" either. 

@Fire-brand
     said: 

@gobstakid777:  i highly doubt that you could imagine a character powerful enough to extend through its own multiverse into ours. you may think it's an omniversal threat when in reality it is a multiversal threat. "

Technically characters we imagine make themselves a part of the real world all the time. You have whole religions that revolve around this concept, like the Kabbalah. In many ways some characters in stories have more influence then people in the world.  
    daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By daak1212

Arent Multiverse apart of a Megaverse?
    Avatar image for ___living_tribunal_22__
    ___Living_Tribunal_22__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel can say they have an Omniverse, however that doesn't mean it is true. However, Marvel definitely is more than just a Multiverse. It was said many times that there are multiversal threats that can wipe out the Marvel Multiverse (i.e. Abraxas, Galactus, Mikaboshi), apparently the New Universe and the Ultraverse were not in any danger. Also, it is hardly possible that there is a franchise which only contains a Multiverse and there are some beings there that can easily destroy/create a multiverse just like the prime one (i.e. Mad Jim Jaspers, Infinity Gauntlet, Living Tribunal, Heart of the Universe). So, what would Marvel be called if its not an Omniverse and neither a Multiverse? 
    Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Comicfan47

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no idea

Whisper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Whisper_

I remember this thread. Good times. I don't miss GBD one damn bit. 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#128  Edited By SC  Moderator

Ugh, its like people hate maths. Infinity, not a number = a concept. Different types of infinity. Comics? Not a science, comics = entertainment, terms are used based on what sounds good, not what is accurate. 

lokiofmidgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By lokiofmidgaard
    @___Living_Tribunal_22__ said:
    Marvel can say they have an Omniverse, however that doesn't mean it is true. 

Marvel don't say they have an Omniverse. They say their multiverses (plural) are part of the Omniverse, and that the Omniverse is not just their realities, but every reality. All fictional stories are part of the Omniverse.

However, Marvel definitely is more than just a Multiverse. It was said many times that there are multiversal threats that can wipe out the Marvel Multiverse (i.e. Abraxas, Galactus, Mikaboshi), apparently the New Universe and the Ultraverse were not in any danger.  

Back in the Quasar series he visited the New Universe, and confirmed that it was outside his own multiverse. Marvel's been clear that it has more than one multiverse for a while now. 

Also, it is hardly possible that there is a franchise which only contains a Multiverse and there are some beings there that can easily destroy/create a multiverse just like the prime one (i.e. Mad Jim Jaspers, Infinity Gauntlet, Living Tribunal, Heart of the Universe). So, what would Marvel be called if its not an Omniverse and neither a Multiverse?   

A Megaverse. Related multiverses make up a megaverse. Again, Marvel's already stated this in their definitions of the different levels of alternate realities.  

@SC said: Infinity, not a number = a concept. Different types of infinity.

And any mathematician can tell you it is possible to have multiple infinities.
    Avatar image for ___living_tribunal_22__
    ___Living_Tribunal_22__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fairly obvious that by "omniverse" they mean all of the Marvel universes and not the broader meaning of omniverse which would mean every universe real or imagined that exists, existed or will exist. 

This sounds perfect to me.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#131  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @lokiofmidgaard:  You don't need a mathematician, anyone who can read and think for a bit can tell you. 
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Thor's hammmer

Millions of Mltiverses in a megaverse many Megaverses in the Omni verse.

lokiofmidgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By lokiofmidgaard

It's fairly obvious that by "omniverse" they mean all of the Marvel universes and not the broader meaning of omniverse which would mean every universe real or imagined that exists, existed or will exist. 

This sounds perfect to me.

Except that it's not the case. Marvel have themselves stated that when they say Omniverse, they mean more than just "all the Marvel universes."
    Avatar image for comicbooksareawesome123
    comicbooksareawesome123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I don't like about the omniverse is that it was created by TOAA and that is a character created by marvel so I will never believe even if it is confirmed or not that a character created by marvel is the creater of the dcu in my mind the presence created dcu.

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#135  Edited By PurpleCandy

Ominverse = Anything and all that is Marvel, including fanfics.

Multiverse = Dimensions within that Universe. Like in Super Hero Squad when Dark Surfer scattered the heroes, they went to different realities but still in that Multiverse. They can't enter an other multiverse, and if they do it creates a new multiverse.

Melab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Melab

The term omniverse is meaningless in the context of a fictional world. The whole damn debate is moot.

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By VinoVash1234

Marvel DOES have the Omniverse.

To better understand what im talking about, you need to understand 3 terms. Universe, Multiverse, Megaverse and Omniverse.

Universe: A single reality, its generally big enough to fit in an afterlife, most universes have several pocket dimensions within it.

Multiverse: A collection of more than ONE universe, numerically, its a single bubble with infinite universes within it, most companies at best obtain a multiverse, for example DC.

Megaverse: A collection of more than one multiverse.

Omniverse: A collection of all realities, this is generally divided into megaverses, therefore an Omniverse is a collection of more than one megaverse.

The OMNIVERSAL Architecture

When Warlock first exited the Multi-verse, he entered a place called the Cosmic Vortex.

In it, an INFINITE number of MULTI-VERSES are spiralling upward, while below lies Oblivion, (the ultimate Abstract in terms of everlasting), swallowing Multi-verses that collapse, are nullified, have a weakened Anchor (like Atleza) ect...

These are MULTI-VERSES!

The OMNI-VERSE and the rest of the Multi-verses rest with in the Cosmic Vortex.

See those little Purple Balls, thats where Atleza is (the Cosmic Anchor of the "616" Multi-verse)...

and every little Purple Ball is the Domain of an Anchor of a Multi-verse ...

Each Domain is Outside the Multiverse...Untouched by Space or Time....

The much bigger Blue Balls represent EACH a Multi-verse, and the SUM of the Blue Balls is the Megaverse.

"The Omniverse is the collection of every single universe, dimension, etc. Everything is in the Omniverse, and there is only one Omniverse....."

"The living tribunal helped fashion the two twin cosmic entities, the brothers, each of whom became the guardian of a different megaverse, within the large Omniverse but encompassing MORE THAN A SINGLE MULTIVERSE"

People none of this is hard to figure out, there are two more scans explaining the concept of an omniverse.

First of all, EVERY fictional reality is encompassed within the omniverse, therefore all of reality resides within the omniverse.

Second, it is NOT againt the laws to coin an omniverse, its simply againt the law to explore other fictional worlds, thats about it, therefore if a fictional reality coins the term 'omniverse' they are not breaking the law since they did not specifically explore other fictional verses. Third, the term 'Omniverse' was partly coined by Mark Gruenwald, who was back then a writer for marvel, this explains why marvel uses the term, they are officially allowed.

Fourth, to further explain the structure of the omniverse, Marvel coined the term 'Megaverse'.

All of this should be proof that Marvel consists of AN Omniverse, not ITS omniverse. If Marvel truly owned anything within the omniverse, then it would be four Megaverses.

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By VinoVash1234

@GamorasBigDaddy: They have more than just several multiverses, soo far they've owned around 3-4 megaverses.

Read my in depth post.

Nemesis_Reload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Nemesis_Reload

Long time visitor to Comic Vine, first time poster.

I realise this is old, and I don't want to get in trouble as the new guy for bumping anything, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents:

The Universe is what we are in. It's not something that can be contained within something else. It is everything. It's time, it's space, it's matter, its energy. The Universe is all encompassing. What is up for debate is what TYPE of Universe it is:

It's either a MONOverse, a reality with linear time and physical constants that are the same throughout space;

Or

It's a CYCLOverse, a reality where time is linear but space keeps collapsing and exploding again with new physical constants in each cycle;

Or

It's a POLYverse, a reality where time is linear but space may be discontinuous, with different physical constants in different regions. These different regions "bubble" off into separate monoverses or cycloverses. The number of bubbles may be finite or countably infinite;

Or

It's an OMNIverse, a reality where time branches into separate timelines at every quantum possibility. David Deutsch writes about this option in The Fabric of Reality. There is an uncountable infinity of timelines in an omniverse. In other words, a Universe where if something can happen, it will happen.

In this thread, everyone appears to be confusing the Universe for a monoverse. That's not correct.

What's more, a monoverse can be a multiverse -as long as time is linear and the physicals constants remain the same throughout space. If a monoverse was created in a laboratory environment, our reality would become a Multiverse, but it would not be a Polyverse because the physical constants of our reality would be inherited, they would remain the same.

Whichever reality we exist in, it should be impossible to tell. Inhabitants of a Polyversal Monoverse will not be able to exist or discover anything outside of their reality.

Marvel has not created an OMNIverse, because IF the Omniverse exists it includes every possible reality.

Marvel does not contain every possible reality. Marvel would be part of the Omniverse, not have it's own. Marvel/DC crossover comics is all the evidence anyone should need of this.

If we assume that the Omniverse exists, The Presence, The One Above All and others like the Beyonder are inhabitants of it, able to interact with and manipulate all aspects of all realities.

From what I've read, Marvel in its entirety is part of a POLYversal OMNIverse whose realities are Multiverse MONOverses.

That is the type of Universe that Marvel says exists - whether Marvel uses those words or not.

kjConlon94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would Doctor Who and DC and the other franchises be included to in Marvel's idea of the Omniverse for at least Doctor Who and DC Franchises have their own ideas of the Omnverse? Or are we going to have to make their be in existence more than one Omniverse since some of you just don't like the idea of Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Gate and so on? I'm sorry I just have to ask that question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omniverse

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Omniverse

http://marvel.com/universe/Exiles_(Omniverse)

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Omniverse

Toratorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omniverse as a term makes no sense. All that can be included into Omniverse could be easily included in 4th type multiverse.

kjConlon94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Numbered/labeled universes within a single multiverse.

2. Numbered/labeled multiverses within a single megaverse.

3. Numbered/labeled megaverses within the evermore growing more complicated and advanced along with growing in size Omniverse.

4. Numbered/labeled Incarnations of the Omniverse.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

This is because even if it is true that a single multiverse can have universes that are truely open systems and involve more than just sub-franchise crossovers but also cross franchise/Intercompany crossovers. At the same time a single multiverse could involve closed systems that doesn't do cross franchise/Intercompany crossovers and sometimes/rarely do subfranchise crossovers if that. That is why a constantly reincarnated growing in size and complexity/advanced Omniverse that contains a growing number of megaverses that contain an Infinite number of multiverses that contain an Infinite number of universes that involve an Infinite number of open and closed cosmic/reality ecosystems. This honestly despite what anyone else says and thinks is the very best structure. However how the Omniverse can/could be remaining Interconnected is by its various parts/components through time travel, subfranchise crossovers, cross franchise/Intercompany crossovers, and cosmic/reality comparative autonomy. In adjacent to how mostly each and every multiversal and megaversal earth? primes are interconnected to each other and the Omniversal earth ? prime. Along with all the multiversal and megaversal earth ? primes originates from the Omniversal earth ? prime through the microevolution to macroevolution evolutionary process. But the very first earth otherwards Omniversal earth ? prime could have been created by a truly Omnipresent (creating something from nothing possibly by just by speaking) Creator Divinity and then choosing to use the microevolution to macroevolution evolutionary(survival of the fittest) process in order to develop Cosmic Infinite reality diversity. In a similar fashion to the Theistic Evolutionists beliefs of the very first microorganisms being created by a Truely Omnipresent (creating something from nothing just by speaking) Creator Divinity and then choosing to use the microevolution to macroevolution evolutionary (survival of the fittest) process in order to develop biological diversity. You can use my fanfiction series storyline in order to attempt at furnishing a structure in how your fanfiction series storyline fits in/links to the Omniverse. My fanfiction series storyline is called "the Mysterious Time Lords and Doctor Who" Fanfiction Series.

P.S. In adjacent to Mallus manipulative interfering in Time there are other high ranking villains that are being manipulative interfering in Time such as Thanos, and the villanous Darkseid vs. Dark Monitor conflict to include into your fanfiction series.

kjConlon94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V6D3CgF8_qk

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.