Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel's Big San Diego Comic-Con Announcements All In One Place

• 68 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Marvel comics used San Diego Comic-Con 2012 as an opportunity not only to celebrate 50 years of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN comic books and filming of Iron Man 3; but also to reveal what else in in store for fans of both Marvel comics and Marvel movies.

No Caption Provided

At Marvel's Amazing Spider-Man panel on Sunday, Marvel writer Dan Slott revealed that he will be bringing the Lizard back to the forefront of comics in his upcoming story that will act as a follow-up to 'Shed.' The story will feature Curt Connors, and fans will also get a chance to see Morbius the Living Vampire. Slott also touched on Alpha, Spider-Man's new sidekick.

The 700th issue of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN will be a big one for writer Dan Slott, and might lead to the end of his run on the book with the character -- although Marvel neither confirmed nor denied that Slott would be leaving the series after issue #700. It will be, however, (according to Slott) the "biggest thing [he's] ever done to a character in [his] entire career in comics."

"Alpha is everything Peter Parker wished he could have been in high school...It's that kid's power, but it's still Peter's responsibility."

Speaking of Spider-Man, we all remember Gwen Stacy, right? Well, writer Dan Slott plans to bring the character back in a small way. Although there are currently no plans to bring the character back into the mainstream Marvel universe; fans of Gwen might be seeing more of her very soon.

"We're going to show Gwen Stacy if there's a story you need to see in the past...but I really don't want to bring Gwen back. She's too important to the mythos...it'd be like bringing back Uncle Ben," Slott said. The writer also said he'd find a way to put her in a story especially since artist Humberto Ramos really wants to draw the character.

As much as fans probably want to see Gwen return to the mainstream, there is something to be said for a writer respecting the death of a character -- something that doesn't always happen in comics. Also, Deadpool fans be on the look out for his appearance in AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #13 alongside Hypno-Hustler.

== TEASER ==

Marvel panelists also discussed the future of Venom's character and how the 'Savage Six' story line will leave the character. Writer Cullen Bunn revealed that Flash Thompson may not only be seeing a new direction, but that he will be visiting some new places as well. October will also be a busy month for Venom. A new event titled 'Minimum Carnaga' will take place in VENOM and in Scarlet Spider's title -- fans can except these two characters to seriously clash in the upcoming story.

Kelly Sue DeConnick, who will be helping the upcoming Captain Marvel series revealed that she is taking the character back to her roots, focusing on the fact that pilots are always under control in the cock-pit of a plane, but not so in control in personal matters of their lives.

Guardians of the Galaxy movie concept art
    Guardians of the Galaxy movie concept art

As for what's in store for Marvel movies, it looks like the next Captain America movie might feature a certain Bucky Barnes? While we don't know whether the sequel will feature Bucky, we do know that the film will be taking its title directly from one of Marvel's most popular series. The sequel to the first Captain America: The First Avenger will be titled Captain America: The Winter Soldier, after the popular and highly successful Ed Brubaker story. The movie will be directed by Anthony and Joe Russo and will hit theaters on April 4th, 2014. In addition to Winter Soldier, rumors concerning the Guardians of the Galaxy movie have been confirmed to be true. In fact, Marvel released some great concept art as well as some promotional movie images. Marvel confirmed an Ant-Man film, a Guardians of the Galaxy movie to be released on August 1st, 2013; Captain America: The Winter Soldier slated for April 4th, 2014; and finally Thor: The Dark World for November 8th, 2013.

What are you most looking forward to seeing come out of Marvel comics? Which Marvel Studios project are you getting the most excited about?

Source: Marvel

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mooty_Pass

WOW....cool :)

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kidchipotle

Sounds like a good time for Marvel Movies!

Iffy on the Marvel NOW!.....

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3  Edited By owie  Moderator

Wow, I can't believe they're really going for the Ant-Man and Guardians movies.  That's stunning.  And exciting.  And Winter Solider--excellent.

But--a sidekick for Spider-Man?  Not so sure about that.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Crimsonlord53

There's four month's between GotG (august) 2013 and Thor (november) and five month's between it and the new cap (april of 14) movie marvel must not be concerned about burnout then.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By saoakden

Cool. A crossver with Venom & Scarlet Spider, that should be interesting to see. I'm glad they're making Ant-Man into a movie, even though I'm not the biggest Ant-man fan. The Winter Soldier, sounds cool. No pun intended. Thor The Dark World that sounds interesting. Iron Man 3 yes, Guardians of the Galaxy, not sure. & for Spider-Man this should be awesome.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Probably Cap Movie. Id love to see Bucky Barnes Winter Soldier on the Big Screen

still I really want to see Iron Man 3

and

Guardians the ARtwork looks AWEsome by the way

( + )

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By zombietag
    At Marvel's Amazing Spider-Man panel on Sunday, Marvel writer Dan Slott revealed that he will be bringing the Lizard back to the forefront of comics in his upcoming story that will act as a follow-up to 'Shed.' The story will feature Curt Connors, and fans will also get a chance to see Morbius the Living Vampire.

isn't that the current story? not much of an announcement

ALSO: if dan slott leaves ASM i will cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry

rigormortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rigormortis

Ant. Frigging. Man.

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9  Edited By Meteorite

Winter Soldier is going to be EPIC!!

Also, Drax, Groot, Rocket Raccoon, and Star-Lord? I was sold at Drax!

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Superguy0009e

ANTMAN!!!

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Nudeviking

Hypno Hustler and Rocket Raccoon. I am very excited to see that some of Marvel's goofier/more offbeat characters are going to get some love in 2012/2013.

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Duke_Nasty

More worried than excited about ASM. I'm most looking forward to Cap 2 and Guadians of the Galaxy. EDIT: And the Deadpool game.

Avatar image for mercwithamouth2385
    MercWithaMouth2385

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WOW! I'm actually glad I wasn't at SDCC! I woulda passed out from excitement.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By danhimself

I was disappointed in the announcements this year....nothing really big....I don't understand why Marvel didn't announce more Marvel Now! titles

redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By redmanta

ant man yes and hope to see wasp in the movie

SpitfireINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SpitfireINK

VERY concerned about the Guardians of the Galaxy movie - that's going to be a real tough one to pull off.

And ANT-MAN - with current CGI - could be cool - definitely kitschy - but going to keep my expectations low.

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By weaponxx

I know I am excited for Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but... how do you think those movies would fare for non-comic book fans? They seem a little harder to grasp I think.

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By elayem98

@weaponx: yeah i have a really hard time seeing guardings even doing mediocre at the box office

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JamDamage

I was most excited about Captain America Winter Soldier til I remembered Joe Johnson isn't directing. Who is directing and what has he done. Now I'm most excited about the Deadpool game coming out, and Remender doing Uncanny Avengers but not leaving X-Force or Secret Avengers.

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sobe Cin

@weaponx: Think back to the awesomeness that is InnerSpace. Ant-Man will rise.

@RigorMortis: agreed. I am really looking forward to a well made Ant-Man movie myself. Just please tie it in with the rest of Phase II, don't make it corny or campy. You really work hard, he can make damn fine superhero on film.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By htb106

The films look good and I'm glad that they're bringing Bucky back.

I'm also excited about the Ant man film, there have been rumors about it for years and it's never happened.

Unlike most people, I'm looking forward to seeing Alpha, I really like sidekicks.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Really digging the concept art for GotG. Will love to see Gwen back even if it is just a story in the past. And its really nice to see what is confirmed for Marvel Studios' Second Wave of movies. Now just by the titles alone...if this isn't leading up to a possible Infinity Gauntlet story on the big screen then I will be surprised.

hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hunter5024

I am pretty new to comics, only started reading in the last 5 or 6 months, so I am speaking as a mostly mainstream fan when I say that Guardians of The Galaxy is a fucking stupid idea for the next marvel movie franchise. Mainstream audiences are willing to accept far less than comic book readers. Men in high tech suits? Sure. Interdimensional Beings based on Mythological Characters? Okay maybe... Space Raccoons with guns? No. That is silly nonsense.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By butters911

Super excited for the Ant-Man movie.

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25  Edited By Ganthetsward20

@hunter5024: I'm super sad you feel that way. I understand what you mean. When I first started reading comics I felt the same way. After about a year you of reading whatever your into now you might want to branch out and read other stuff your not so familiar with. By doing that you'll open yourself up to more characters and see how even the real crazy things like anthropomorphic trees and talking raccoons are super cool and that their stories are good and sometimes better then even the more mainstream heroes like Cap, Thor, or the Hulk. Hopefully you'll be willing to give it a chance.

hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hunter5024

@Ganthetsward20 said:

@hunter5024: I'm super sad you feel that way. I understand what you mean. When I first started reading comics I felt the same way. After about a year you of reading whatever your into now you might want to branch out and read other stuff your not so familiar with. By doing that you'll open yourself up to more characters and see how even the real crazy things like anthropomorphic trees and talking raccoons are super cool and that their stories are good and sometimes better then even the more mainstream heroes like Cap, Thor, or the Hulk. Hopefully you'll be willing to give it a chance.

Oh no you got the wrong idea, I should have been clearer in my post. I think rocket raccoon is awesome. I have ever since I first saw him announced for Marvel vs Capcom, when I was introduced to the character. I haven't read any guardians of the galaxy books yet but I am perfectly willing to believe that they tell fine stories. However mainstream audiences are a lot harder to convince; Guardians of The Galaxy is too risky. The second someone sees a raccoon with a gun in the trailer they're going to dismiss it as silly. Not only that, but it's not a well known property, after all I only heard about him last year and I knew more back then then the average avengers viewer does now. I'm just worried if they tie this movie so closely into the next avengers movie as everyone seems to be expecting they will, then that could hurt Avengers 2's chances of being as successful as the first.

ozeol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ozeol

a raccoon and a talking tree... I've read GotG stories and I still think they're lame. I like Drax and Gamora though.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Eyz

This Alpha could turn out fun...we'll see...

I can't wait for Ant-man, my favorite of this new lineup!

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Chaos Burn

John Carter? Green Lantern? Now maybe prepare Guardians of the Galaxy for being on a list of space failures

That60sGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By That60sGuy

I can't wait to see who plays Ant Man. Nathan Fillion? Michael C. Hall?

Definitely looking forward to seeing Drax and Starlord in the GotG movie but not familiar with the other characters. I hope this doesn't do a John Carter!

BoyWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BoyWander

Rocket Racoon looks... strange... his heads too big? Well whatever, Iʻll end up watching it anyway. Really looking forward to Ant-Man though! love the character.

redsonjustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By redsonjustin

Well, this all seems good, hope to get my hands on ASM #700.

NyxEquitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NyxEquitis

@Meteorite said:

Winter Soldier is going to be EPIC!!

Also, Drax, Groot, Rocket Raccoon, and Star-Lord? I was sold at Drax!

I was sold at Rocket Raccoon!

Scheiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Scheiner

Anyone have a guess about what the dark world part of the Thor movie could be referring to?

Avatar image for crazyflashfan11
    crazyflashfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By crazyflashfan11

NO DEADPOOL?????!!!!!!!!

sithfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 57

#36  Edited By sithfrog

@That60sGuy said:

I can't wait to see who plays Ant Man. Nathan Fillion? Michael C. Hall?

Do we know which Ant Man it will be? I would guess Pym since he's the original and the creator of the tech, but who knows. I think Mr. Fillion could pull off Pym, Lang, or O'Grady.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LordRequiem

Thor most definitely, then Iron Man 3, then Captain America, then Ant Man, then the Guardians.

lb70145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By lb70145

@Crimsonlord53 said:

There's four month's between GotG (august) 2013 and Thor (november) and five month's between it and the new cap (april of 14) movie marvel must not be concerned about burnout then.

This article actually has an error. GotG comes out August 2014, not 2013.

I was worried that mainstream audiences might not flock to go see GorG, but here's how I see it through the release dates. Since Thor 2 comes out in November 2013 and Thor is traveling to different realms, he could run into the Guardians in that movie. The Guardians warn him about a powerful being who has set his sights on Earth. In Cap 2, Thor can show up in the post credits on Earth saying that Earth needs to prepare for the coming of Thanos. Then, by the time GotG comes out people know to go see that movie before they go see Avengers 2. If this is the case, still a very ballsy move.

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
    Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024 said:

I am pretty new to comics, only started reading in the last 5 or 6 months, so I am speaking as a mostly mainstream fan when I say that Guardians of The Galaxy is a fucking stupid idea for the next marvel movie franchise. Mainstream audiences are willing to accept far less than comic book readers. Men in high tech suits? Sure. Interdimensional Beings based on Mythological Characters? Okay maybe... Space Raccoons with guns? No. That is silly nonsense.

So there's a raccoon with a rocket & a talking tree, so what? All the Marvel movies seem to understand how ridiculous some of the concept of their characters are and how non comic book fans see them. For example Thor, his outfit & pattern of speech is ridiculous but they waste no time time joking about it to get it out of the way & then focus on the story.

Sleepwalker570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sleepwalker570

Lots of exciting events on the horizon! I must say I'm surprised by the Ant-Man and Guardians movies myself. Glad to see they're taking chances on producing less main stream characters.

I'm absolutely enjoying Flash's take on Venom and look forward to the crossover with Scarlet Spider.

Avatar image for mp_simonwilliams
    MP_SimonWilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MP_SimonWilliams

I am familiar with the new-school lineup of the Guardians of the Galaxy and love a lot of the characters......but whatever happened to the old-school lineup of the Guardians of the Galaxy.....characters like Charlie-27 (best name ever), Martinex (worst-name ever), Yondu the archer and Nikki from Mercury? Those were good characters. Especially like Charlie-27 as a powerhouse in a team book.

I missed the transition from that lineup to the newer lineup.

Avatar image for mp_simonwilliams
    MP_SimonWilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MP_SimonWilliams

Every time I hear about an Ant Man movie (which could be very cool if done right), I think of that old SNL skit where there is a superhero costume party with Hulk (John Belushi), Superman (Bill Murray), Thing, etc......and Garrett Morris comes in as Ant Man. Everyone wants to know who he is and when he explains that he can shrink down really small and still retain the strength of a normal-sized man....they all mock his powers. Hilarious.

The Hulu link is below.......Ant Man makes his entrance at the 4:40 mark or so...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4137

fanged_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fanged_wolf

Guardians of the Galaxy!!!!! so want it now

fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#44  Edited By fACEmelter88

MOVIES: Excited about all them, wish I knew more about Thor 2, Ant-Man but I don't know about Star Lords' mask...to Jason/Scourge like. I hope Bucky is the Winter Soldier in Cap 2, hell why not.

COMICS: Dan Slott can do no wrong...but I don't know about Alpha, probably be good though. I love Kaine as Scarlet Spider and with Venom and Carnage i'm pretty excited. This Marvel Now stuff is kinda random but knew something like it would happen, AvX is a lot better than I expected and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

YAY Glad to see all the news in one article

Psimitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Psimitar

The only thing that has me hesitant of Marvel NOW! is Cable. He's been absent from AvX entirely and since he was healed of the TO virus at the end of X-Sanction; I'm still expecting him to show up full-powered to kick some butt in AvX (Avengers or X-Men I'm not particular). Now we see him with an eye-patch and a metalarm again. What gives?

I'm excited that the Captain America sequel will be about Winter Soldier, but I don't think Sebastian Stans has the star power to play Bucky in this role. Hopefully, this will let them bring back Scarlet Johannsen as Black Widow.

I'm not sure Guardians of the Galaxy will be the kind of caliber movie we are expecting to see from Marvel Studios. Superhero movies in space are hard to sell (see Green Lantern) and from a non-comic book reader perspective, they're going to introduce a group of motley alien characters with limited to no backstory; certainly not the backstories we got for Avengers. Unless they spend the majority of time on Earth, I don't see it going over very well. I also think they should ditch Gamora in favor of a Phyla-Vell Quasar and add Adam Warlock to the group.

Hivemind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hivemind

Hmm Guardians of the Galaxy and Antman the movie. Nope. really can't see any possible way I would watch these movies. Will have to see the terrible trailer first of course. Don't want to be bias towards terrible characters...lol.

That60sGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By That60sGuy

@sithfrog: If Nathan Fillion plays Ant Man I think Eric O'Grady would be suited to him the most as he can pull off funny and obnoxious but I hope they go for Pym.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#49  Edited By Lvenger

I'm most looking forward to Thor: The Dark World even though there's little info about it. As for the least, I'm afraid that's Guardians of the Galaxy though that's only because I don't know much about them and I am excited about the news that Marvel will be taking a stab at a unique, unknown movie.

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Novemberx2

Guardians of the Galaxy will be terrible... marvel has been fooled by Disney to make this film.

a talking raccoon and Disney = Recipe for disaster!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.