Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

marvel power grid

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Rotten gun

i've noticed that many people have been confused with the power gid that marvel has ie; why does the punisher have 7/7 fighting skill and shang chi only has 5/7 when shang chi is clearly the better martial artist or that wolverine has a low durability score when he can fight for days and regenerate?

this is how the system works

it works from 1-7. 1 the lowest form and 7 the highest.

the grid is made up of;

intellegence.

strength.

speed.

durability.

energy projection.

fighting skills.

the misconception is that eg; fighting skills of 7/7 means you will beat a 5/7 fighter, this is not always true.

here are some of the abilities and their meanings.

Durability;

ENERGY PROJECTION;

FIGHTING SKILLS;

as you can see in the fighting skills category, you may be ranked higher than another character but it doesn't account for your ability in that ranking eg; Thor gets 5/7 stating he is a master of a single form of combat but it doesn't show that he could smash the punisher who is 7/7 and master of multiple forms of combat.

if wanted i can post the rankings for intellegence, strength and speed.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By fesak  Moderator

It's quite misdirecting, especially the speed rankings. Someone with teleporting automatically gets 7/7...?

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I think they're a nice idea, but Marvel executed it badly. I would like to see something like it here but (that but cannot be stressed enough, so reread it and yell it to the world) properly thought out and agreed upon on the forums.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#4  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Valkaad

My problem with that rating system is that your so limited with only seven different levels. Take strength for instance you can have one guy listed as a level 4 and he's only lifting 800pounds and another guy listed as a level 4 thats lifting 25 tons thats 62.5 times stronger than the 800pound guy. with all the different power levels in the marvel universe a range of 7 just doens't cut it.

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rotten gun

Valkaad says:

"My problem with that rating system is that your so limited with only seven different levels. Take strength for instance you can have one guy listed as a level 4 and he's only lifting 800pounds and another guy listed as a level 4 thats lifting 25 tons thats 62.5 times stronger than the 800pound guy. with all the different power levels in the marvel universe a range of 7 just doens't cut it."

it used to be out of 10, but i dont remember the structure

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By zero edge

So Marvel assumed we just knew that or something? And where did that paper come from?

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rotten gun

zero edge says:

"So Marvel assumed we just knew that or something? And where did that paper come from?"

yeah its a bit stupid really, they have the grid... and every marvel legend action figure has it on the back of the packaging but not once have i seen a figure with the grids explaination on it. you can go to marvel to find the power grid, its written exactly as buckshot has posted.

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Phorqe

Yeah, the grid is a bit silly. There are people that can lift 800 pounds in real life via bench press and squats, they're supposed to hold rank with people that can lift 25 tons??? They should go into more detail about 'ability to lift weight' If they mean overhead press, then yeah.. that's superhuman. Also fighting ability is rather sloppily put together. It goes from master of several forms of combat to master of all combat? Eh whatever.

Valkaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Valkaad

Phorqe says:

"Yeah, the grid is a bit silly. There are people that can lift 800 pounds in real life via bench press and squats, they're supposed to hold rank with people that can lift 25 tons??? They should go into more detail about 'ability to lift weight' If they mean overhead press, then yeah.. that's superhuman. Also fighting ability is rather sloppily put together. It goes from master of several forms of combat to master of all combat? Eh whatever."

The lift or press is actually supposed to be a press overhead/military press (much harder than a bench press). I remember reading that in one of the marvel universes but cannot find it.

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the creator

This system is very poor because as mentioned it does not sensibly differentiate between many characters on strength and some of the other attributes but it also does not take in to account a number of attributes that are important to measure, like Reaction time (for those with super speed - not just movement speed).

I also don't like the fact that some characters all get lumped in to the level 7 catagory - so again no differentiation.

Having tried for what seems like an eternity (but is in actual fact about 18 yrs) to convert comic book characters accurately to various role playing games systems (which also included expanding on the old Marvel RPG), a better system can be constructed - that does differentiate and is more accurate in the figures (like lifting strength).

Would anyone be interested in seeing this happen ?

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rotten gun

i'd certainly want to see a more accurate system, and a game using that sounds great

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13  Edited By Ms. Invisible

If they're inaccurate why are they put in character pages? I find that annoying, seeing as Marvel developed it and it has nothing to do with Comic Vine.

Avatar image for the_unbeatable_hulk
    The Unbeatable Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are new power rankings

Strength

1 Hulk (Incredibly strong)

2 Everyone else (Puny)

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By The_Ghostshell

The Unbeatable Hulk says:

"There are new power rankings Strength 1 Hulk (Incredibly strong) 2 Everyone else (Puny)"

Its no wonder people wanna lynch Hulk fans around here.

Tek Pa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16  Edited By Tek Pa

Ms. Invisible says:

"If they're inaccurate why are they put in character pages? I find that annoying, seeing as Marvel developed it and it has nothing to do with Comic Vine."

Their powers are usually based on the writers, DC, who did the Who's Who's didn't even bother with this because it's always changing. The fighting skills and itellengence was what bothered me. Wasp got a 2 (average) and Hank Pym got a 3 (slightly educated). But I guess if Batman can take the Hulk, then all scales are tossed out the window, lol

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17  Edited By Ms. Invisible

Point being, they should be removed. As if the ComicVine rankings are accurate enough.

Dark_Hancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dark_Hancock

Somebody please tell me why quicksilver (possibly the fastest guy in the Marvel universe gets a 6 in speed whereas many undeserving of the 7 speed rank have it, and why sinister is a 1 in intelligence??? It needs to be changed...

DFChewie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DFChewie
    @Dark_Hancock: Because, level 7 is reserved for people like Nightcrawler, who can teleport, or in some other way achieve instantaneous movement. No matter how fast Quicksilver can run to the McDonalds up the street, Nightcrawler can get there faster.
    Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Blindside002

These rankings are just all messed up. I don't think that Spider-Woman is a 75-100 ton in terms of strength and I'm almost 100% certain that Deadpool is a genius or virtually unlimited command of all energies. Also I don't think that Spider-man can get up speeds of Mach-2. These ratings are screwy as hell, no doubt about it, espcially since I'm 100% certain that Ms. Marvel  is bulletproof atleast, not to mention I'm almost 100% certain that she is atleast a 5 in both Strength and Fighting Skill.

MiloMcCabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MiloMcCabe
    @Valkaad: i agree with Valkaad

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.