Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Axel Alonso Promoted to Marvel Editor-in-Chief

• 76 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    It's the beginning of a new year and Marvel Entertainment announces a new Editor-in-Chief. Marvel has promoted Axel Alonso, who will now report to Dan Buckley, Publisher & President, Print, Animation & Digital Divisions, Marvel Worldwide, Inc. Alonso job is to now oversee all day to day duties of Marvel's Publishing Division, including advising on all editorial creative direction, developing new storylines and developing bigger corporate initiatives with Marvel's vast catalogue of characters. 

The announcement was made by former Editor-in-Chief and current Chief Creative Officer of Marvel Entertainment, Joe Quesada.    

It’s with tremendous pride that I announce Axel Alonso’s promotion to Editor-In-Chief. For over a decade, Axel’s been instrumental in bringing fresh new voices to Marvel and reinventing our biggest characters like Spider-Man, the X-Men, Wolverine and so many more. He’s fought to create unique imprints like Marvel MAX while also bringing fresh new voices to the Marvel family. 

== TEASER == 
    Alonso has been in the comics industry for over fifteen years and with Marvel since 2000.  

Marvel has a great history of the most dynamic and memorable EiCs in comics history and I’m honored to step into this role," said Axel Alonso. "I’ve been blessed to work with some of the most creative men and women in the world, bringing to life some of the most compelling stories you’ll find in any medium. This new role provides me with exciting challenges and prospects I’ve never encountered before, but I know one thing—Marvel’s getting even bigger in 2011. 

Quesada will now focus on overseeing Marvel's ventures in film, television, publishing, digital and more.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Martian

OMG! You mean Joe isn't editor of the comics anymore? O_O We might actually have a chance of getting exciting story lines and change of writers! WOO!

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Silkcuts

GO Axel!  Show VERTIGO that the moment you left they started going downhill and now your the reason Marvel has acutal good reads.

I don't think there is a Marvel fan more happier then I am hearing this news and I wouldn't call myself a true Marvel fan....lol  But I am an Axel Alonso fan. :D

Avatar image for emerald_dragonfly_deleteme
    Emerald Dragonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Emerald Dragonfly

Wait a minute... 
    ...this actually is a guy who edited "max" series. 
    DAMN NO 
    NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 
    ЪЪЪЪЪЪЪЬЬЬЬЪЪЪЪЪЬЪЬЪЬЪЬЪ 

Let's just hope it all will be better than it was with quesada.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Rheged

Definitely a surprise.  Not sure how I feel about this, as I've not been impressed by the X-Men line, but at least it is a change for Marvel, which I do feel they've needed.  It would be GREAT if Alonso started a non-616 line, like Epic or Vertigo at Marvel.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Martian
    @Rheged:  Don't they already have MAX and Ultimate universe?
    ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By ForbushBug

Anyone involved in the fiasco that was "Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do" should not be put in charge of a company. Not to mention letting Ellis and JMS wander off from "New Universal" and "Squadron Supreme" respectively. Looks like the Joe Q policy of coddling his clique of stars will continue. Woo. 

EDIT: Oh my Lord... he edited "Trouble" too. No one who let Millar dryhump the legacy of Spider-Man deserves this much power.

Avatar image for emerald_dragonfly_deleteme
    Emerald Dragonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Emerald Dragonfly
    @ForbushBug: Sorry, I didn't understand what you said about Straczynski and Ellis. Could you please rephrase second sentence for me?
    Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rheged
    @Nobody said:

" @Rheged:  Don't they already have MAX and Ultimate universe? "

Ultimate Universe is just an alternate 616 superhero universe.  Epic and Vertigo don't deal with superheroes that much, and when Epic did, it was usually something out of continuity or continuity light, and by some unexpected creator.  I really don't think you can compare MAX to Vertigo.  Usually, MAX deals with superheroes ... only with more blood, profanity and nudity.
    ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ForbushBug
    @Emerald Dragonfly said:
    " @ForbushBug: Sorry, I didn't understand what you said about Staczynski and Ellis. Could you please rephrase second sentence for me? "
    "Squadron Supreme" ended in the middle of a fight and "New Univeral" has been on "hiatus." Getting the creative team to finish a project is kinda what an editor is for and those two titles with big names attached going out with whimpers aren't a good sign. Not to mention the two year delay with "Spider-Man/Black Cat."
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Martian
    @Rheged:  Marvel does release non-continuity, non-superhero titles already though such as Dark Tower, Tron, and Wizard of Oz(I'm not sure if that's it's exact title).
    spiderguylll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By spiderguylll

OMG MAYBE THERE IS A GOD
    He first order of business should be to do something the One More Day crap...
    Cyclops 4 Life

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rheged
    @Nobody said:

" @Rheged:  Marvel does release non-continuity, non-superhero titles already though such as Dark Tower, Tron, and Wizard of Oz(I'm not sure if that's it's exact title). "

Those are licensed properties, and not original works.  Have you looked at what Vertigo publishes?  Check out Aztek's Vertigo Year Review.  That's the sort of line I'd LOVE to see at Marvel.  Right now, all Marvel has that is similar is ICON, which only prints creator owned work by their exclusive writers.  Hardly a line that can go toe to toe with Vertigo.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Martian
    @Rheged said:
    " @Nobody said:

" @Rheged:  Marvel does release non-continuity, non-superhero titles already though such as Dark Tower, Tron, and Wizard of Oz(I'm not sure if that's it's exact title). "

Those are licensed properties, and not original works.  Have you looked at what Vertigo publishes?  Check out Aztek's Vertigo Year Review.  That's the sort of line I'd LOVE to see at Marvel.  Right now, all Marvel has that is similar is ICON, which only prints creator owned work by their exclusive writers.  Hardly a line that can go toe to toe with Vertigo. "
    I know what Vertigo is, I guess I didn't make the connection that you want original non-superhero comics.
    pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#15  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

Are there two Alex Alonso's cause the picture in this article and the picture on his CV entry don't look like the same guy, not even close O.o?

BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By BKole
    @ForbushBug: Ellis' problem with New Universal was that his computer died and he lost all his scripts. He's working on writing them in bulk now, if you are to believe what he's said on his Forums and on his Website.
    Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rheged
    @pikahyper said:
    " Are there two Alex Alonso's cause the picture in this article and the picture on his CV entry don't look like the same guy, not even close O.o? "
    One is at the start of the convention and the other is at the end of the convention?
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By FoxxFireArt

So, Joe Quesada is now titled as the Chief Creative Officer. Oh, I could think of a few titles for him right off the bat, but I try to avoid such language in my internet comments.

Now that there is a new editor-in-chief, I may actually have a reason to actually start buying Spider-man comics again.....maybe. Once bitten and twice shy, as the saying goes.

They are still pulling that idiotic idea of changing Spider-man into Iron Man Jr. I could understand doing a new suit idea once, but they are giving him another one a few month later. Only thing I regret about it all is that I enjoy Humberto Ramos' art work.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Gambit1024

Words... Can't describe... Just how great this is... 

HELL TO THE YES!!! 

All we need is someone to remove Bendis from the Avengers and all will be well again :)

psyrax2k11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By psyrax2k11

This is great news!  Maybe this means Jean Grey will finally return to the comics and be written as she should be written and not "The one who dies and gets resurrected a lot" girl.  Thank you God and Jesus!
    comicfetish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By comicfetish

this isn't good enough. i want Quesada fired. i'd also like to see him tortured by somebody in a Spider-man costume
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

This is great news. Maybe this might mean we will have Spider-man be Spider-man again. 

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kid_Zombie
    @Rheged said:
      It would be GREAT if Alonso started a non-616 line, like Epic or Vertigo at Marvel. "
    They have one bud. ICON. They put out, Criminal, incogneto, and Kick Ass. All amazing books by the way ha

@psyrax2k11:
    Keep her dead! she sucks! if she comes back i will prob stop reading x-men at that point. Some characters should just stay dead.

This is great news! Hopefully he will dismantle the numerous books about the same character (wolverine, deadpool) and give other characters there own books. hawkeye and mockingbird, or alpha Flight ;)
    Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

As much as I hated the whole One More Day thing Spider-Man went through, I think doing away with it will just make more of a mess than clean it up. I think they just need to roll with it and deal with the fiasco by progressing Peter Parker where they left him off... 

That said...I would like them to kill off Aunt May :P

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#25  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
    @Rheged said:

" @pikahyper said:

" Are there two Alex Alonso's cause the picture in this article and the picture on his CV entry don't look like the same guy, not even close O.o? "
    One is at the start of the convention and the other is at the end of the convention? "
    Nah no convention is that harsh, I think the picture in the article is of the wrong guy cause he doesn't look older then 30 and according to the article he has been working in comics for over 15 years.

Edited to add:
    ok the guy in the article picture does look older then 30, I thought he had a shaved head until I looked at the larger picture and saw the gray hair. I guess his little goatee really does make him look that much different :P
    psyrax2k11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By psyrax2k11
    @Kid_Zombie:
    Right, keep her dead so we can have uber blondes that have nothing to offer then their looks running around sleeping with husbands who've abandoned their wives and so fourth.  Jean needs to come back, she's the Phoenix, she's iconic.  No offense to you, I just favor her over the other Marvel Women.
    MI 6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MI 6

Unfortunately, Joe Q is already there. 

I hope Alonso is going to create comics for comics fans and not for gore movie fans.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By HexThis

Well, at least Alonso doesn't look like a drunk, disgruntled uncle at a family barbecue the way Quesada always has...that's a place to start. Though, quite frankly, I'm not holding out much hope, it's not as though Spiderman or Wolverine are difficult to manage being that they're so formulaic and the X-men have been mistreated for quite some time now. 

Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rheged

@Nobody said:

" I know what Vertigo is, I guess I didn't make the connection that you want original non-superhero comics. "

Probably my relying on my example of Vertigo, and saying non-616 line, implying a different superhero universe.  I should have said other genre lines.  :)

@Kid_Zombie said:

" @Rheged said:

It would be GREAT if Alonso started a non-616 line, like Epic or Vertigo at Marvel. "
    They have one bud. ICON. They put out, Criminal, incogneto, and Kick Ass. All amazing books by the way ha
    Which is why I had already mentioned ICON and how it could hardly compare to Vertigo.  You don't see a best ICON books of the year list, like you do with Vertigo.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By JonesDeini
    @ForbushBug said:
    " Anyone involved in the fiasco that was "Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do" should not be put in charge of a company. Not to mention letting Ellis and JMS wander off from "New Universal" and "Squadron Supreme" respectively. Looks like the Joe Q policy of coddling his clique of stars will continue. Woo.  EDIT: Oh my Lord... he edited "Trouble" too. No one who let Millar dryhump the legacy of Spider-Man deserves this much power. "
    He was involved in that stuff? Crap...well, I'll continue to make DC mine...
    Rheged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rheged
    @pikahyper said:
    " @Rheged said:

" @pikahyper said:

One is at the start of the convention and the other is at the end of the convention? "
    Nah no convention is that harsh, I think the picture in the article is of the wrong guy cause he doesn't look older then 30 and according to the article he has been working in comics for over 15 years.

You clearly haven't been to DragonCon.   O_O
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kid_Zombie
    @Rheged:  Ah sorry didnt see your other comments. Im not saying they are better then vertico, not at all, just saying there was a print. But yes they could for sure expand it to be more like vertigo in that sense. They could simply make ICON more then just create something new.

@psyrax2k11:
    No offense taken, as I hope u didnt take offense to what I said. Personally i feel that Jean is a terrible character and the worst of Marvel comics by far, while I think Emma is one of the best written and most interesting female characters in all of comics, so everyone has there own opinions ha ha
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Eyz

Finally!  Aleluia!!

I've never liked the fact that Joe Q's been over the reigns at MArvel for so long.
    I mean, sure I love Joe's artwork skills and some of his writing..but overseeing a big company is a whole different story.

Be it in my Francobelgium comics companies here in Europe or US Comics, I prefer my editor in chiefs to change every once in a while.
    You know, to keep things fresh and fun. After a while, they sort of lose focus and their genuine interest & motivation and start makingbad moves and decisions...

Good luck to Axel Alonso, he will have his hands full with fans expectations and keeping the brand fun and alive!

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @comicfetish said:
    " this isn't good enough. i want Quesada fired. i'd also like to see him tortured by somebody in a Spider-man costume "
    For as much as I dislike the man's works for what he did to Spider-man. Thanks to him, Spider-man has as much chance of being a meaningful story as All of My Children of winning an Oscar. 

Even I would never condone physical violence. That's way too far. It shouldn't even be jokes about.

@Eyz:
    Quesada is the reason Ive been boycotting Spider-man comics for years. Having him being no longer even attached to the series means I may start buying again. Just too bad it wasn't until after Ramos' run on the series is nearing the end. I do like Ramos' art.

I just refused to support Spider-man as long as Quesada's name is attached in any way.
    emptytomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By emptytomb

Joe Quesada is still in charge. He is the CEO or president of Marvel now. Head chief is just a title now not the top manager anymore.
    warcorpse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By warcorpse

Hey g-man has anyone ever told you you look just like joe quesada?

comicfetish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By comicfetish
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    " @comicfetish said:
    " this isn't good enough. i want Quesada fired. i'd also like to see him tortured by somebody in a Spider-man costume "
    For as much as I dislike the man's works for what he did to Spider-man. Thanks to him, Spider-man has as much chance of being a meaningful story as All of My Children of winning an Oscar. 

Even I would never condone physical violence. That's way too far. It shouldn't even be jokes about.

@Eyz:
    Quesada is the reason Ive been boycotting Spider-man comics for years. Having him being no longer even attached to the series means I may start buying again. Just too bad it wasn't until after Ramos' run on the series is nearing the end. I do like Ramos' art.

I just refused to support Spider-man as long as Quesada's name is attached in any way. "

i never said physical violence. there's also psychological torture
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#38  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @warcorpse: I don't think I've heard that one. 

No Caption Provided
    And to all the Quesada-haterz, say what you want, he's been totally cool the couple times I interviewed him. It was really cool of him giving us advanced info at c2e2 as well before it was announced at a panel.
    warcorpse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By warcorpse
    @G-Man: Look at you you're twins it's ....uncanny
    Avatar image for spider_man_2996
    spider-man 2996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#40  Edited By spider-man 2996

Good for him
    Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Pizawle

Hopefully this will lead to better quality.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Eyz
    @emptytomb: Wasn't he put at, what Geoff Johns' role is currently at DC, chief of the Entertainment brands?
    Well, overseeing the adaptations that is?
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @G-Man: 
    Well, just because I have absolute disdain for the man as a writer and editor. I never made claims against him as a person. You can be a really nice person, but still manage to neuter a story of any real potential. Dragging decades of character development to the realm of fan fiction.

Just as I'm sure there are a lot of nice people working for VIZ Media publishers, but their censorship and alteration of manga is a blight on the industry. I don't see how they can complain about people using scanlations when they are the ones who are refusing to put out a product that meets scanlations in quality and authenticity. You can't put out an altered version of a story then wonder why everyone is going toward the authentic version.

I'm more curious now if Alonso will do things differently or just continue the same path. Though, I'm willing to give him a chance.

Just sucks that this change had to take place as Humberto Ramos is ending his run in Spider-man.

@comicfetish:
    Torture is torture and shouldn't even be joked about.
    emptytomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By emptytomb
    @Eyz: 

Qouted by G-man ''Quesada will now focus on overseeing Marvel's ventures in film, television, publishing, digital and more''.   They just expanded his, Quesadas, duties, management powers and are now giving him a vice president alonso and you know vice presidents can't do much in decision making but let the top pres. do it.
    Avatar image for sliver_slamurai
    Sliver Slamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sliver Slamurai

lol @ people thinking that this is some kind of actual change...

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By bingbangboom

I really don't understand the hate for Joe Q and Marvel in general. You may disagree with some of their ideas but in the end most of them worked and they captured a majority of the market share and have built Marvel into an entertainment company and partner of Disney. 

Quesada will still have the final say on character and story direction I feel, but Alonso knows what they want to do. Its not like they picked someone from a different company, it is a promotion. Also to all the people hating what happened with Spider-Man, I would suggest you relook at these books since Brand New Day. Even if you read them as an "Elseworlds" style book, they are some great reads.

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#47  Edited By MatKrenz

Well this could be interesting and I hope that he will let different new writers take-over different titles that had the same write for the last 3 years and just been getting more and more stale (Im looking at you Daniel Way).
    comicfetish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By comicfetish
    @FoxxFireArt said:

@comicfetish: Torture is torture and shouldn't even be joked about. "

then you must hate the tv show Human Target. Guerrero is the man!
    sharky64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sharky64

I will be happy as long as he restores back peter and mj marriage
    Scary Tousers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Scary Tousers
    @ForbushBug:  Newuniversal is on hiauts because Ellis' computer crashed and all notes, plot and scripts were lost, he is working from scratch on plot he has vry far in advance, you can't blame Alonso for that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.