Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

'All-New, All-Different Marvel' to Bring New Characters and New #1 Issues

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Recently, Marvel announced that the future will take shape as all-new and all-different in July's issue of Marvel Previews. The future has been revealed and after SECRET WARS, Marvel is doing a reboot, of sorts, and reverting their issues to #1. According to Mashable, aside from issues starting back at "1," new characters will be introduced and some will be altered.

Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso talked about the relaunch and how long the planning has been going on for this large announcement:

"We've been planning it for years... We realized that ['Secret Wars'] would be a game-changing moment that would allow us to create a big white canvas. It’s an unprecedented chance for us to tell new stories across all titles with new No. 1s."

The All-New, All-Different issues will take place 8 months after the conclusion of SECRET WARS and Alonso explained this is a great jumping-on point for new readers and we'll see some stuff from the current Marvel event carry over.

"There’s no red sky, there’s no icecaps... But there will be new places on the map, there will be new characters that were just too cool to not bring back from 'Secret Wars.' There are new teams that are necessary to deal with new threats."

There will be somewhere between 55 and 60 books in this relaunch, which is a tad less than they currently put out. Some characters from pre-Secret Wars will still be around like the current incarnation of Thor, who turned out to be Jane Foster, and Sam Wilson as Captain America. Obviously, from the banner above, Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen will make their way over as well.

There's also a big change coming with Hulk and Alonso said that the folks who went crazy about a female Thor will "have a field day with this one." He also said Wolverine will return but alluded to it possibly being someone else. Does this possible mean that X-23 will take over or will Jimmy Hudson, the son of Wolverine from the Ultimate Universe, step into the spotlight?

Starting this fall, new number 1 issues will be staggered over the course of three to four months to ring in the new era at Marvel.

[UPDATE] In an interview with EW, Axel Alonso said this:

Secret Wars is planting the seeds or laying down the building blocks for the new Marvel Universe. Nothing we do in Secret Wars is irrelevant for how the Marvel Universe will be moving forward. So whether it’s characters, places, artifacts that are introduced in Secret Wars, all those are going to be a part of the blend of the Marvel Universe moving forward. So keep an eye on characters like Old Man Logan, the Maestro from Future Imperfect, keep an eye on key characters, key places, key artifacts—because it could very well be that they’re here to stay, to complicate things going forward.

Going back to the Mashable interview, Alonso mentioned Hulk being different and a change with Wolverine. Are these the changes? Could Old Man Logan be the Wolverine we should keep an eye out for? And is Maestro going to be the change with Hulk that is going to upset people?

Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The only different things I see are Cap and Iron Man looking like an anime character.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Why is Turok there?

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really? New number ones...again.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 inferiorego  Staff

@g_man said:

Why is Turok there?

You mean Steve Rogers from 1602 with his hair dyed black?

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Dammit Mat, why'd you have the use the "r" word? Can't wait to see this comment section...

mksystem74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"He also said Wolverine will return but alluded to it possibly being someone else"

Probably Old Man Logan, right?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 inferiorego  Staff

Dammit Mat, why'd you have the use the "r" word? Can't wait to see this comment section...

lol.... They called it a reboot, even though it sounds more like a relaunch mixed with a reimagining... also... re=reply in emails.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 inferiorego  Staff

"He also said Wolverine will return but alluded to it possibly being someone else"

Probably Old Man Logan, right?

That would also be really awesome!

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

My hype right now is very real.

Hound_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hound_of_War
    Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Not bad, but nothing amazing either

SO is Secret Wars even gonna change anything? A lot looks the same

~MiB

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Planning for years? Well, since The Marvel Now reboot, I guess that qualifies.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@hound_of_war: To be honest, I have no idea who is that guy at all.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 inferiorego  Staff

Not bad, but nothing amazing either

SO is Secret Wars even gonna change anything? A lot looks the same

~MiB

I don't think they're going to give everything away just yet. From the looks of the banner, we have Spider-Gwen, Miles, and the possible 1602 guy who are not from 616. It's possible Vision isn't as well. We're all going to have to sit pretty through Secret Wars to learn more, I think.

Ok... night night!

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

There's also a big change coming with Hulk and Alonso said that the folks who went crazy about a female Thor will "have a field day with this one."

Wonder what this means? That Betty will become ShRulk again (and maybe become the new Rulk instead of Ross? That Shulk will generally replace Bruce? Maybe Shulk will get a new permanent "savage" form?

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really? New number ones...again.

*sigh* I know right. Geez -_-

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#19  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@goonage said:

There's also a big change coming with Hulk and Alonso said that the folks who went crazy about a female Thor will "have a field day with this one."

Wonder what this means? That Betty will become ShRulk again (and maybe become the new Rulk instead of Ross? That Shulk will generally replace Bruce? Maybe Shulk will get a new permanent "savage" form?

nah Hulk gets hit with Alien Gamma Rays and that turns him into a Transgender

~MiB

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotham331: Wasn't Marvel Now more of a re-branding than an actual reboot?

I don't want Spider-Gwen in the new universe. I like her in her own pocket universe with evil DareDevil. Now we'll have 3 Spider-Women (maybe more, I think I lost count), and 2 Spider-Men.

daltonmunnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Planning for years? Well, since The Marvel Now reboot, I guess that qualifies.

Marvel Now was in no way a reboot.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Though the initiative is sweeping and comprehensive — with all-new creative teams behind both new and existing titles — it won't do anything to erase or rewrite history that previous comics have established. However, "All-New, All-Different" will pick up some eight months after the conclusion of "Secret Wars," and much will have happened in that time to alter the landscape.

so seeing as Slott is probably the writer who's been on a Marvel book for the longest at this point, I wonder if he's done with Spider-man after Secret Wars

LordRyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LordRyus

Yes! Peter Parker Spider-Man, Spider-Woman and Spider-Gwen survive Secret Wars... sorry silk (hopefully you'll live and keep your solo though). Hope Jessica stays the longest, out of these 3 she is the real Avenger. I expect Spider-Man (Peter) out of there in a year or two, he's just here for launch publisity (assuming Sony doesnt really want him marketed as an Avenger). Not sure what they have planned with Gwen though, she's too new to define yet.

I must ask though... is Coulson just there to make sure Sam, Kamala and Miles get home on time? Or just to nerd out with Kamala? Lol

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pathetic. Marvel fans can try to justify this by comparing it to what DC has done with the New 52 and the new "DCYou", but just look at how many #1s each publisher has released since 2011. Marvel has probably released at least twice as many. They say it makes a perfect jumping on point for new readers. What ever happened to a new story arc being a good jumping on point? Or a new creative team? DCYou is doing essentially the same thing, while keeping the same numbering. marvel is run by a bunch of greedy bastards. Rant over, thanks for listening

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

It doesn't look anything like a reboot, just another relaunch of their titles and continuations of stories that were left off due to Secret Wars.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jtmac005 said:

This is pathetic. Marvel fans can try to justify this by comparing it to what DC has done with the New 52 and the new "DCYou", but just look at how many #1s each publisher has released since 2011. Marvel has probably released at least twice as many. They say it makes a perfect jumping on point for new readers. What ever happened to a new story arc being a good jumping on point? Or a new creative team? DCYou is doing essentially the same thing, while keeping the same numbering. marvel is run by a bunch of greedy bastards. Rant over, thanks for listening

I could honestly care less about the number on the front of the book as long as the stuff inside is good

t209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So what happened to Nova despite his appearance in FCBD?

A. He died in Ultimate End.

B. A future storyline where it was revealed that Sam is part Xandarian from father side and went to ruins to rediscover his roots. Come on, Marvel needs some half aliens with happy homes (well, at least Jesse didn't ditch his wife after impregnating her, like how J'son did to Pete's mom).

C. Nova quit the Avengers to join the Nova Corps, which Richard Rider is alive as living Nova Force.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Guess they're sticking with Jane FosThor for a while, but at least Miles is in the mix. Hopefully, this will be the same for Silk.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@t209: Well, Sam is gonna be on the Avengers so he should still be alive.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TrueMarvel

Too many Spider-people. Spider Woman, Spider Wen, Classic, and Ultimate? Spider-Gwen has the same skill-set as Peter, so one of them is redundant. Miles is fine because he actually offers additional powers, and differing perspective considering he's still a child. Spider-woman is fine because of her different skill set and powers. Peter is fine because hes the OG. But why the hell is Spider-gwen even needed?

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am almost amused at how much trouble Marvel is going through to ensure DC, Valiant, IDW and Darkhorse get my money.

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hopefully they at least announce the titles soon so I have an idea on how I'm going to budget this together with the new DC stuff.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

I really hope Spider Gwen keeps her home universe. That was the whole point, her whole world was flipped and grounding and interesting, but bringing her in the main Marvel U will just be another spidey character and having Gwen back when its not really the same Gwen.

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

@inferiorego: @g_man: This is awesome. Really excited for what MARVEL is doing. Can't wait to pick up the book in July.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about instead of always saying "to attract new readers" they start going with "to keep the loyal readers we have?" I'm seriously just a fan of great stories and art, but when books are constantly relaunching I find that as a great time to jump off. I remember just a few short years back when issue numbers were in the 900s for a few titles and many more were high numbers too. The excuse was that they weren't accessible to readers. I think anyone who understands comics could still find those books accessible. What is the highest numbered issue currently in the big 2? I don't know what it is, but it isn't that high. Sadly, number 1 issues sell...so they'll keep doing it now.

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

This is awesome. Can't wait to pick up the book in July.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even know anymore. Rebranding, reboot, repurposing, re-whatever, still gonna be a lot of #1's that'll probably be meaningless in two years.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truemarvel: I agree about Gwen, especially since a big part of her draw is her personal life, and I don't know how that's going to survive to the new Universe. I love the comics to death, but without her universe, she's just a rookie Peter Parker.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wessaari said:

I really hope Spider Gwen keeps her home universe. That was the whole point, her whole world was flipped and grounding and interesting, but bringing her in the main Marvel U will just be another spidey character and having Gwen back when its not really the same Gwen.

exactly

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hmm, looks like they're turning the comics into the MCU. I might drop Marvel altogether if I don't like their plans for X-Men and Punisher. Most of their comics just aren't worth the money anymore.

Thor_Ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 44

But it's a reboot or not?

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew it! I saw this coming even before "Marvel Now", ever since Axis and wolverines death I stopped buying Marvel because I knew none of it would matter in the long run. All these dumb events and endless cash grab tie-ins for nothing. Screw you Marvel, you just secured that I never buy any of your comics ever again

JasonBriggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are they going to do with Hulk?? Hopefully not something gimmicky just to attract attention.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_ul said:

But it's a reboot or not?

Not really... That would imply starting from scratch completely. This is more of a regroup or spring cleaning to get rid of the clutters. The characters will still have their own histories which will probably be mostly recognizable, but they'll all be in one universe. So, some stories will probably continue fairly unchanged, others may have a reboot. But this is my interpretation, so I reserve the right to be completely wrong...

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should have been Silk, not Spider-Gwen. At least Silk offers something different powers wise to the spider-people. Spider-Gwen is literally just a rookie peter parker. Offers nothing to the team at all.... and her world is what makes her an interesting character. Take that away and Idgaf.

Avatar image for carlomaldonado10
    carlomaldonado10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling Steve Rogers is going to get his super soldier serum back a month before his big movie.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By darthfury78

@maxsavage:I do not understand why Marvel feels that they need to change up everything to match DC Comics. I think that Editor in Chief Axel Alonzo(DC Alumni) is too obsessed with trying to make Marvel go head to head with DC. This constant renumbering is getting annoying. Not to mention that the All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe is just another ripoff at copying DC's Crisis Series. Marvel doesn't realize that it was not the universe that needed changing; its the approach as to how they market their own books. Ever since Alonzo took over the reigns from Joe Quesada, all we've seen are constant renumbering(diversity for the sake of diversity on pre-existing superhero character names), and big events that are the most part a waste of time and money. There was no need to merge all of the various universe together into a large confusing hodgepodge. If anything else, I can't see the All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe lasting any more than when the next event starts. All of these crossover events and the stupid regression and retconed on the characters history and background does nothing to attract new readers. I think that Marvel needs to stop looking at DC's business model and focus on what the independent comic publication are doing: Progression on the story and its characters going forward....

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GalacticFork

It should have been Silk, not Spider-Gwen. At least Silk offers something different powers wise to the spider-people. Spider-Gwen is literally just a rookie peter parker. Offers nothing to the team at all.... and her world is what makes her an interesting character. Take that away and Idgaf.

What team are you talking about? They just threw a bunch of characters onto the banner. They're releasing as many as 60 books, I assume Silk will continue to have a solo run after the relaunch, her books are decent selling (as much as you can tell from 4 issues).

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's Thor Odinson :(

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@sprior93: I know X-Men are supposedly going off planet but what are they doing with Punisher?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.