Follow

Marvel Zombies

Story arc »

When a zombie plague came from above, the Avengers arrived on the scene to end the crisis. With their infection the people of Earth-2149 stood no chance, as the entire world became engulfed by the plague.

Marvel Zombies 3

• 57 results
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Check out this article!

June 1, 2008 - It's a Marvel Zombie nation, and we're just living in it. Since those lovable zombies debuted in the pages of Ultimate Fantastic Four, they've gone on to become the type of pop culture phenomenon most comic book properties could only dream of. T-shirts, action figures, and hardcovers galore helped drive the Marvel Zombie fad.

After three mini-series and various other spinoffs, many assumed the Zombies were on their last, rotting leg. By the end of Marvel Zombies 2 the entire universe had been all but completely devoured. Where do they go from there?

Straight to the heart of the Marvel Universe, apparently. Writer Fred van Lente and artist Kev Walker are hard at work on the latest sequel, Marvel Zombies 3. This story sees the zombies invade the classic Marvel Earth we all know and love. Given how rapidly life on Zombie Earth fell apart, this can only mean bad things for our heroes.

We talked with Van Lente himself to get the scoop on all things zombie. Did you know Zombie Ghost Rider likes his flesh well done? Neither did we.

Guess who's coming to dinner?

IGN Comics: First things first - who's on board for the creative team? How long will this mini-series last?

Fred Van Lente:
    Four issues! Starting in October, just in time for Halloween. Me writing, Kev Walker (Annihlation: Nova) on art.

IGN Comics: At this point, with two main series released and the Army of Darkness crossover, we're curious where things can go from here. No doubt fans are wondering the same thing as well. Was a third series always a given or was it difficult to find where things could continue?

Van Lente:
    You know what they say. You can't keep a good zombie down -- He just keeps getting back up again and groping for your brains.

I can tell you where the Marvel Zombies will continue -- right into the Marvel Universe itself! That's right, the flesh-eating fiends have blundered into the MU from the Man-Thing's Nexus of All-Realities and unleashed the undead plague into the world of Initiative, Secret Invasion, and all the rest.

You got it, this is an *in-continuity* series, with major ramifications for at least one MU hero -- one of my all-time Kirby favorites -- as the Initiative is forced to put together an unlikely crew of heroes together for a desperate mission into the Zombieverse to find the one thing that can save the MU from a total takeover by the undead!

IGN Comics: Will Cortez continue to serve as the primary villain figure?

Van Lente:
    No, New Wakanda doesn't factor into MZ3 at all.

IGN Comics: To what degree will the cast of characters change? Can we expect another shift to the future?

Van Lente:
    This series takes place during a very specific time period in "Zombie Continuity", but I think it gives too much away to tell you when, exactly. Rest assured all will be clear. I devoured MZ1, MZ2 and Dead Days to choose when we should best locate our tale.

IGN Comics: Are there any remaining Marvel characters that stand a chance of being zombified?

Van Lente:
    I think they're all zombified in the Zombieverse, right? Hence the name. We will definitely be focusing in this third installment on zombies that we haven't spent much time with before-- I'm talking heroes and villains. In issue #1, for example, we give the phrase "Merc with a Mouth" a whole new (and highly disturbing) meaning.

One of the nice things about Zombie Ghost Rider, for example, is that he flame-broils his meat as he brings it toward his mouth, thanks to the flames around his skull. You see, these are the kind of details previous series just didn't have the time touch on.

IGN Comics: It seems like the human and zombie populations have dwindled to a point of no return - will that be a central point of this upcoming series?

Van Lente:
    Yes. *The* central point, in fact. zombies' never-ending quest for a source of food is what leads them to the Marvel Universe in the first place.

Although one Zombified Marvel villain in particular has hit upon a novel way to produce nearly limitless food for his zombie hordes-- Through technology left over from one of the most controversial Marvel storylines of all time, thus leading to the single most grotesque scene I've ever set down in a comic. (How's that for a tease?)

Wait, no, actually the single most grotesque scene I've ever set down in a comic is the opening scene to MZ3 #1.

Let's just say the Florida Initiative team has a very, very, very bad day. Pity the Sunshine State. Pity them.

IGN Comics: Will there be any more hopping between universes?

Van Lente:
    Not only will there be more hopping between universes, in MZ3 we introduce the sister agency to S.W.O.R.D. and S.H.I.E.L.D., whose whole purpose is to fend off extradimensional threats -- They're the Alternate Reality Monitoring and Operation Response agency.

Yup, that's right. We've got S.W.O.R.D., S.H.I.E.L.D., and now A.R.M.O.R., which is headed up by a very appropriate 1990's MU character I was thwarted from using in MODOK's 11 (although -- little trivia for you M11 fans -- you can still see him in silhouette on Eric Powell's cover to M11 #1), and there are some other familiar Registered faces working for this agency as well. I smell spin-off!

Wait, no. That's rotting flesh.

IGN Comics: The plague that caused the zombie infestation is still a bit of a mystery. Will we learn its origin this time around?

Van Lente:
    The origin? No. But the science behind the zombie plague is the driving force behind the story -- Namely, a desperate attempt to create a vaccine, which requires a fear-fraught journey into the Zombieverse itself! MZ3 is much more of a paramilitary action-horror adventure in the Aliens mode than its predecessors, a desperate race against the clock to save the MU before it's completely overrun by the plague.

IGN Comics: Will we see any more of The Sentry, who was responsible for starting the infection?

Van Lente:
    The Sentry was only responsible for starting the infection in the "Zombieverse", of course. The zombies -- as Robert set up in Dead Days -- feel they have a mission "to spread the gospel," as they say, and so they actively seek out other dimensions to infect. They also prefer to infect superhumans as a more efficient means of spreading itself through the general population. This raises the possibility that the zombie virus is, itself, to some degree sentient.

All these concepts fuel the balls-to-the-wall high-octane gore-fest that is Marvel Zombies 3. You see, we're not just all blood and dismembered body parts. You may respect us for our brains, too.

Our delicious, delicious brains.

IGN Comics: It seems like the Marvel Zombies concept appeals to a much more casual comic book reader than other series might. Does Marvel find the typical Zombies reader to be remarkably different from the typical comic book reader?

Van Lante:
    No, they're basically same. Except for the brain-eating.

IGN Comics: Does the announcement of Marvel Apes mean that the run of Marvel Zombies is coming to an end? Can apes and zombies co-exist???

Van Lente:
    Hmmm... Undead cannibalistic super humans... Poo-flinging primates in costumes...

I know where I'd place *my* bet...

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By pixelized

]=

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mr. Wilson

I'm pretty excited.  Mostly because we might see Zombie versions of Deadpool and Ghost Rider.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By fesak  Moderator

MZ3 just turned into awesome.

Look at that rock hard robot body!
    Look at that rock hard robot body!

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Sweet!!!!!!!

Shaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Shaper

Who's that robot dude?

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Sparda

I'm really hoping that all the Zombies get owned this time around. I'm getting tired of watching my favourite characters get devoured.

That cover totally rocks, also.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DEADPOOL
    Shaper said:
    "Who's that robot dude?"
    I believe it's Machine-Man.

And alright, looks like Deadpool might be co-starring in the new series.
    Shaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shaper

My question is, are they in Earth 616? Or will this be like the Exiles adventure to Earth 982?

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mr. Wilson

@DEADPOOL

I saw that too!

@Shaper

Earth 616

Shaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shaper

No, what I mean is, are they going to affect 616 so much a new universe has to be made to fix the problem? That's what happened to Spider-man 2099 universe.

Chameleone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chameleone

Who's the robot chick on the cover

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    Chameleone said:
    "Who's the robot chick on the cover"
    Jocasta
    lboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lboy

Looks awesome.

DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DEADPOOL
    Shaper said:
    "No, what I mean is, are they going to affect 616 so much a new universe has to be made to fix the problem? That's what happened to Spider-man 2099 universe."
     I think they said it's in continuity.
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Yes it will be in continuity.  the initiative team in FL. will be the frst to take them on.

DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DEADPOOL
    Mr. Wilson said:
    "Yes it will be in continuity.  the initiative team in FL. will be the frst to take them on."
    Anyone know who that team consists of, or is this gonna be the first time we find out?
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mr. Wilson
    DEADPOOL said:
    "Mr. Wilson said:
    "Yes it will be in continuity.  the initiative team in FL. will be the frst to take them on."
    Anyone know who that team consists of, or is this gonna be the first time we find out?
    "
    I think its their big debut. 
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Here ius a preview page for #1:

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    DEADPOOL said:
    "Mr. Wilson said:
    "

The Florida team is The Command. Members are Jennifer Kale, Aquarian, Siege and Capitan (Really obscure character from Man-Thing #7 in 1974, but that's why i love the Initiative)

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Also, i don't think i've fanboyed about it yet, but the art in MZ3 is by Kev Walker. IMO one of the most underrated artists in comics, he's really good, and should get way more credit and jobs.
    I thought that the Marvel Zombies thing was getting old, but what am i to do if they insist on creating the perfect book for me.

Shaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Shaper

This looks awesome, I can't wait.

Billy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Billy

Can someone tell me what happened to Ultimate Doom after he was ported into the Zombie Verse?

CarnageKasady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CarnageKasady

hehe carnage is the best ppls ahahaaa!!!thats me carnage!!!

Skeletor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Skeletor
    zaps carnage

yeaa.... no
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mr. Wilson
    Billy said:
    "Can someone tell me what happened to Ultimate Doom after he was ported into the Zombie Verse?"

I think he escaped out of there.  There was no reference in MZ2 and that was after Doom had entered their world.
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Marvel Zombies upcoming variants:

The Black Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The Black Wolf

Wolverine and Spider-man one rock. And I read in an interview is that they are not bringing in main characters of the marvel universe into this. They are using the initiative and a lot of old characters for this.

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mr. Wilson
    The Black Wolf said:
    "Wolverine and Spider-man one rock. And I read in an interview is that they are not bringing in main characters of the marvel universe into this. They are using the initiative and a lot of old characters for this."

I am thinking this volume will be better than vol. 2 and hopefully (but doubtfully) better than vol. 1.
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mr. Wilson

I like the Spidey and Wolvie ones the best as well.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Oooh, Zombie Slapstick!

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mr. Wilson

lol

That is by Juan Doe I think.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The first run was awesome. The sequel was sub-par. I'm pretty sure that this one will suck. Good ol' Marvel trying to run the idea-plane into the ground.

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mr. Wilson
    inferiorego said:
    "The first run was awesome. The sequel was sub-par. I'm pretty sure that this one will suck. Good ol' Marvel trying to run the idea-plane into the ground."

I think this will be better than 2....
    digiproblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By digiproblock

hope we can see some zombie pictures of war machine

Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mr. Wilson

That would be cool.  I hadn't thought of that.

Avatar image for dr__victor_von_doom
    Dr. Victor von Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"

MARVEL ZOMBIES 3 #1

COVER BY:GREG LAND
    WRITER:FRED VAN LENTE
    PENCILS:KEV WALKER
    THE STORY:
    Board up Avengers Tower! Lock down the Baxter Building! The ravenous hordes of Marvel Zombies are invading ... the Marvel Universe! That's right, the next chapter of the MZ saga is a non-stop in-continuity gorefest with major implications for at least one Marvel hero! When the super-undead stumble into the MU from the Man-Thing's Nexus of All Realities, all of Florida is quarantined against the zombie plague. Time is quickly running out for a cure, so the Initiative sends a most unlikely group of heroes into the Zombieverse on a desperate mission to find the one item they need before the whole MU is consumed! The scream team of Fred Van Lente (INCREDIBLE HERCULES) and Kev Walker (ANNIHILATION: NOVA) unite for a Marvel Zombies story like you’ve never seen before!
    Parental Advisory …$3.99

Mind me asking, but wha?
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    Mr. Wilson said:
    "inferiorego said:
    "The first run was awesome. The sequel was sub-par. I'm pretty sure that this one will suck. Good ol' Marvel trying to run the idea-plane into the ground."

I think this will be better than 2...."
    read it on Sunday, better than 2... but still sucks
    fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    Dr. Victor von Doom said:
    ""

MARVEL ZOMBIES 3 #1

THE STORY:
    Board up Avengers Tower! Lock down the Baxter Building! The ravenous hordes of Marvel Zombies are invading ... the Marvel Universe! That's right, the next chapter of the MZ saga is a non-stop in-continuity gorefest with major implications for at least one Marvel hero! When the super-undead stumble into the MU from the Man-Thing's Nexus of All Realities, all of Florida is quarantined against the zombie plague. Time is quickly running out for a cure, so the Initiative sends a most unlikely group of heroes into the Zombieverse on a desperate mission to find the one item they need before the whole MU is consumed! The scream team of Fred Van Lente (INCREDIBLE HERCULES) and Kev Walker (ANNIHILATION: NOVA) unite for a Marvel Zombies story like you’ve never seen before!
    Parental Advisory …$3.99

Mind me asking, but wha?"

Weird formulation since it implies that everything else was out of continuity, which it wasn't.
    They are referring to it taking place in Earth-616 (and Earth-2149)
    Mr. Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mr. Wilson

Cool.  Nice issue.  I like the beginning scene.  Just a real nice Marvel Zombie feel.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By warlock360
    fesak said:
    "Dr. Victor von Doom said:
    ""

MARVEL ZOMBIES 3 #1

THE STORY:
    Parental Advisory …$3.99

Weird formulation since it implies that everything else was out of continuity, which it wasn't.
    They are referring to it taking place in Earth-616 (and Earth-2149)"
    I know, but seeing people like Scarlet witch as a zombie in 616? and others, could it be that they will try and move the main earth to another?
    fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    Voidheart said:
    "fesak said:
    "Dr. Victor von Doom said:
    ""

MARVEL ZOMBIES 3 #1

THE STORY:
    Parental Advisory …$3.99

They are referring to it taking place in Earth-616 (and Earth-2149)"
    I know, but seeing people like Scarlet witch as a zombie in 616? and others, could it be that they will try and move the main earth to another?"

If you're referring to that cover image, it's probably a scene taking place in Earth-2149, since it says on the solicit. text that the (Earth-616) Initiative sends a team into the Zombieverse. Machine Man and Jocasta seems pretty logical choices to send since they're robots, and presumably can't be infected.
    bioghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bioghost

isn't most of the zombie are like killed in the 1 one by the comisc zombie.
    i just wondering what kind zombie we are going to see here.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    bioghost said:
    "isn't most of the zombie are like killed in the 1 one by the comisc zombie.
    i just wondering what kind zombie we are going to see here."

I saw some preview pics of #3 with Zombie Angel, Vulture, Falcon and Beak.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I reread it.. I take it back, it's better than two

bioghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bioghost
    fesak said:
    "bioghost said:
    "isn't most of the zombie are like killed in the 1 one by the comisc zombie.
    i just wondering what kind zombie we are going to see here."

I saw some preview pics of #3 with Zombie Angel, Vulture, Falcon and Beak."

sh*t i thought vulture was the first got killed while fighting the silver surfer if he survie that. I wonder how he look like now?
    cadaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cadaver

I sure hope they do it right this time.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Vrakmul

Rectons ahoy!!!!

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By Erik

I think that at least one person should be immune to the virus. One of the healers maybe, like Elixer. Or someone that can regenerate.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    erik said:
    "I think that at least one person should be immune to the virus. One of the healers maybe, like Elixer. Or someone that can regenerate."

Well since Deadpool, Wolverine and Hulk became zombies i don't think anyone with healing powers could be immune.
    And if someone is immune they'll soon be eaten anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.