Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

Why is MCU Thanos so underrated within the MCU?

• 66 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
    deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@gateofbabylon:

A lot of good points I agree that Wanda vs Thanos random encounter almost always go to the mad Titan she had just seen vision die twice and was at peak bloodlust and Thanos has already been fighting a few battles.

I still feel Thanos takes Thor no matter what, I think people really overlook just how little he was hurt in two films there was literally no way he was going to be put down outside of Stormbreaker. Even Wanda and Carol still weren’t close to killing him though both had him on the ropes for sure.

Thor for sure stunned and hurt Hulk in the arena fight but I do agree people overlook that against hulk buster and Thor, Hulk was still in the fight as both ended in controversial ways.

IAmTheLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gateofbabylon:

A lot of good points I agree that Wanda vs Thanos random encounter almost always go to the mad Titan she had just seen vision die twice and was at peak bloodlust and Thanos has already been fighting a few battles.

I still feel Thanos takes Thor no matter what, I think people really overlook just how little he was hurt in two films there was literally no way he was going to be put down outside of Stormbreaker. Even Wanda and Carol still weren’t close to killing him though both had him on the ropes for sure.

Thor for sure stunned and hurt Hulk in the arena fight but I do agree people overlook that against hulk buster and Thor, Hulk was still in the fight as both ended in controversial ways.

Pretty much everything you've said in this thread is spot on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
    deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamthelaw:

Thanks mate! I’m pretty honest despite my username lol that’s for comic Thanos.

I pay good attention to the movies and been reading comics (from the big two to all random companies) all my life don’t understand people who have a bias with characters it’s pointless.

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
    war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos actively trying kill Wanda and he still got his ass kicked.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk: I think based on his facial expression those hits were clearly deliberating.

The context you listed is irrelevant. Hulk was still hurt.

DreadBringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's overrated as hell. All the fights involving him and the other avengers had them nerfed to an extreme degree for him to look as if he's more powerful than them.

Hulk forgets he is stronger than the Hulkbuster and only punched as hard as Spidey. Thor forgets he has lightning cloak and his other lightning powers. Iron man forgets he has various missiles that can stagger Thanos. Captain Marvel forgets that she can bullrush him with the force that would destroy a large mothership.

Jobbing characters do not make look the villain look effective.

And your mistake here is assuming every foes those heroes fight as equal in strength. Hulkbuster ain't Thanos. Mothership isn't Thanos. That's like complaining where Iron Man got nerfed because he can one punch terrorist easily but cannot do the same to Mandarin, ignoring the fact that terrorist is a normal human while Mandarin is a superhuman.

Hulk's punch to Hulkbuster won't have same effect to his punch to Thanos. Hulkbuster is far more brittle being a mecha, while Thanos is already considered as strongest being by Ronan and also was never have major wounds throughout entire movie (not paper cut from IM) except from Stormbreaker. That includes mothership too. The explanation is the mothership is less durable than Thanos, so Captain Marvel easily destroys mothership but not Thanos. Simple. Thor's lightning powers also won't do same to Thanos as to the mooks ._. The point of lightning is to hurt, similar to blasts/missiles/etc. If Thanos can resist from many, the lightning won't put him down like other things thrown at him (And, Stormbreaker amplifies Thor's lightning plus Thanos was off guard in IW but still fine).

Plus Iron Man already threw building to Thanos and he's unharmed. And he can still deflect the missiles with his sword like when Iron Man shoots his repulsors against him (and I meant before the "Thor, hit me" scene). And also it also not only Hulk's strength. It doesn't matter how strong you are when you can't hit your opponent. Hulk is a brawler who just wildly throws strength. Thanos is an actual fighter who is skilled. Thanos beat him by also blocking/dodging his attacks and attacking pressure points.

DreadBringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By DreadBringer
    @luminoushydra said:

@dreadbringer: You missed my point by like a mile and went on to ramble about other stuff tangentially related to what I had in mind. I stopped reading halfway through after realizing this.

Let me be clear and give concrete examples.

Spiderman can literally stagger Thanos with his punches, so can Cap. If these guys can do it, then Hulk should be able to send him flying a few dozen feet away. But he doesn't. All his punches do is move Thanos' head and cause him to stagger backwards slightly, his punches arent that much more impressive than Spiderman or Caps.

No. If Cap Marvel can bullrush Thanos with the force of a ship, he would be sent flying miles away give the above about Cap and Spidey are true.

I'm saying that in their Endgame fight, not once Thor used his lighting cloak against Thanos, when it would be effective to some extent when parrying with Thanos (not mortally wound him, but stagger or injure him a little bit). If cap's Mjolnir lighting can move Thanos, then surely Thor's own lightning can too.

Ironman just needs to flying around and hit Thanos around, that will give an opening for Thor to go in. But he forgot he could do that.

Spidey one is not a big deal where in IW Spiderman only moved Thanos head a bit and Thanos is completely unscathed. Momentum also counts here as Spidey was jumping from Strange's portal. And Spidey isn't a peak human (Just a trivia: in comic he can stagger Thanos with a punch).

Plus if you're talking about Cap in IW one, then it's even more insignificant. Cap only budged him a bit (a little more than when Cap lifts Mjolnir), plus the holding hand one was just Thanos intrigued by his efforts despite being far below him. Even in Endgame (before lifting Mjolnir) the best Cap has done is making Thanos facing left (and it's head only) with his double kick.

Hulk did tackle him and send him rolling and pushed him to a wall with his attack, even temporarily pin him down. but ofc after Thanos regained his composure Hulk never hit him again because he's a skilless brawler and his attacks are easily readable by Thanos, being a skilled fighter. Plus, Thanos is armored too (not saying Thanos can't take hits from Hulk armored, but comparing Hulk's against Spidey ones).

Thanos did take a force of ship in IW, when Nebula rammed his ship towards him. Thanos fell (because it rams Thanos from behind and was unprepared perhaps), but Thanos was still unscathed. While against Cap Marvel he was in middle of battle so he was more prepared to defend and hold himself, like how Thanos was completely unscathed when Iron Man pushed building size debris against Thanos in IW (where Thanos did look the debris being pushed to him).

Though I agree about Thor not using all he got, my opinion is that Thor probably just focused on landing hits on Thanos with Stormbreaker, as it's one of the few powers that can end Thanos easily (cutting his nigh-impenetrable skin like hot knife through butter). I feel like holding Thanos' weapon with Stormbreaker is more threatening to Thanos than using lightning cloak to parry, because Thanos had to push himself from the weapon that can easily cut him.

Iron Man did, at the beginning of the fight, https://youtu.be/gcWYbtK_QZ8 (0:11 - 0:15) he was flying and shooting Thanos with repulsors but he blocked it with his sword. (no, not the "Thor, hit me" one).

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He isn't underrated.

He's trash.

DreadBringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sy8000 said:

Phase 1 Thor can absolutely hurt Hulk, his hit on Malekith would knock Hulk's teeth out.

Thanos is inconsistent. His armor was the thing that kept Thor from butchering him again, yet Hulk broke that armor fine in Infinity War. Are you telling me prime Thor couldn't shatter that armor then split Thanos' head?

When did Hulk even broke that armor in IW? Thanos just discards it because of him taking messiah path, changing from warrior path.

a8612152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it's because of his own feats look more subtle compare to some other characters. But with scaling he's definitely one of the toughest and he can beat characters like Hulk and Thor to a pulp. There's no reason to think he's not a top tier.

Also,the entire MCU is underrated in terms of power level because it's popular and gets more anti wank than most other verses.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 cocacolaman  Moderator

Let’s look at his opposition.

Hulk: Fodderstomped, but it’s the Hulk.

Thor: Taken down off screen.

The Guardians: Stomped.

The Titan Battle: A whole bunch of popular people, with two actual strong people, put up a fight against Thanos.

The Wakanda Battle: A whole bunch of street levelers and Wanda. Get stomped.

Battle of Earth: Thanos stomps everyone but Carol, Wanda, and Cap, two of which are strong independent women and the other one is Steve Rogers in a Russo movie.

Overall, it seems Thanos beats really strong and semi-popular to popular males, while he fails against really popular street and mid tier males and high tier unpopular females.

I’d say it’s fan service.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By Erkan12

Hulkbuster, despite being designed to fight with Hulk only, and despite using constant repairment from Veronica, still failed to bleed Hulk's nose during the fight, Tony dropped a 100 floor building and it was still not enough to bleed Hulk.

I don't see that as a defeat. Hulk also realized what he did, so he was kind of ready to stop right before the cheap shot, then Tony hits him with a cheap-shot and Hulk stops.

The fact that Banner cried for help and almost begged Hulk while using the Hulkbuster armor already tells us the power difference between the best Iron man armor and Hulk.

The only real defeat that Hulk has suffered was Thanos.

EliseRean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of characters are underrated in MCU, not only Thanos.

Rijehu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Rijehu

Thanos can apparently solo The Avengers and DCEU lineup without the gantlet according to popular opinion...he isn't underrated unless you want him to take on God.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 cocacolaman  Moderator

I'm genuinely curious as to what people think that making the heroes fight smarter would have done. If they made the heroes stronger, they would have made Thanos stronger. I mean, really, do people here think that if they had Tony's armor, they could do any better against Thanos? They would get horrendously roflstomped.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.