Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

Why do so many people hate Avengers: Age of Ultron?

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 70

#1  Edited By shroudofsorrow

OK, so maybe "so many" is a bit hyperbolic, but in my (admittedly limited), experience, AoU is consistently singled out as one of the more heavily and unloved MCU films. Honestly, it feels like AoU is almost as disliked and bashed as the first two Thor movies and Incredible Hulk. And I just don't get it. I loved Avengers: Age of Ultron. I thought it had a very good Ultron voiced brilliantly by James Spader, wonderful action and visuals, some of the usual great Whedon deadpan quips, and honestly, a solid story of Stark letting his fears get the better of him and driving him to make a terrible mistake. All of that seems like a perfectly solid movie to me.

I mean, I know a lot of people disliked the Banner/Black Widow romance, but I honestly thought that was fine. And if Ultimate Spider-Man and Kitty Pryde is acceptable, I fail to see how Banner and Nat is anymore outrageous or illogical a pairing. And even if you don't like it, that shouldn't ruin a movie by itself.

Other then that, I really have a hard time thinking of just why this movie is so looked down upon and even hated by so many. Can someone fill me in here? Just what are the reasons people give (if any), for bashing AoU? What are the most common criticisms? Because I really can't see just what it is about this movie that makes it an "unfavorite" of the MCU collection.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I mean, it's not necessarily "hate". It's just disappointment that they didn't do much for the story and felt like a retread of some of the plot lines from the first Avengers movie.

Needs a little more world building.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@life_without_progress: I don't know, I felt like the second movie's story was relatively distinct from the first, but OK.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

People think Ultron is a bad villain because he wasn’t like his comic counter part. I like Ultron in the movie

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5 JediXMan  Moderator

It's very... meh. Whedon's kind of snarky writing gets old fast (especially with regard to Ultron) and the "wow" factor that was so prevalent in the first movie was not enough for the sequel.

Also I don't see a lot of hate for the first Thor movie. A lot of people think it's decent to good; maybe not great, but it's a fine origin movie. Dark World deserves all the hate it gets.

Avatar image for eternaldarkfury
    EternalDarkFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Ultron sucked ass

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because the movie was marketed to be the exact opposite of what it ended up being.

Not once was I threatened by Ultron.

And the movie was pretty average even if the marketing had been on point about its tone

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

critics don't like It because it seemed like it was just setting up future movies. it also had plot threads that were abandoned later. critics also hate generic villains. ultron was just a generic robot villain and he had a totally asinine plot for destroying mankind. it was way too convoluted and totally unnecessary. some comic book fans don't like it because they strayed away from the plot of the comics. ultron was extremely easy to defeat.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

It's very... meh. Whedon's kind of snarky writing gets old fast (especially with regard to Ultron) and the "wow" factor that was so prevalent in the first movie was not enough for the sequel.

Also I don't see a lot of hate for the first Thor movie. A lot of people think it's decent to good; maybe not great, but it's a fine origin movie. Dark World deserves all the hate it gets.

I don't know, I kind of like Whedon's snarky writing, and I especially love James Spader's deadpan Ultron. I think he makes that character more entertaining honestly by way of giving him that sort of oily, snarky sadism versus what comic Ultron is often written as. I don't think it was "meh" at all.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

critics don't like It because it seemed like it was just setting up future movies. it also had plot threads that were abandoned later. critics also hate generic villains. ultron was just a generic robot villain and he had a totally asinine plot for destroying mankind. it was way too convoluted and totally unnecessary. some comic book fans don't like it because they strayed away from the plot of the comics. ultron was extremely easy to defeat.

1. What plot threads?

2. Then they would be hypocrites, as Ego, Hela, and Kilgrave are in no way more sympathetic or nuanced (they're actually all worse), and yet everyone loves Thor: Ragnarok and Jessica Jones and Ego is generally cited as a good MCU villain. So if Ultron is a bad villain because he's an evil destroyer, then why are Ego and Hela exempt? I also disagree that Ultron was "generic". I think James Spader's performance and the sarcastic, snide, quip-heavy personality make him feel distinct enough. I don't think he's anymore generic than the aforementioned Ego, Hela, and Kilgrave, all of whom were well liked by the critics (especially the last one).

3. I don't think it was an asinine plan; he was basically trying to recreate what wiped out the dinosaurs, only do it artificially. I don't see how that's "asinine". Convoluted maybe, but it would have worked in theory had he not been foiled.

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think it was better than civil war. James spaders voice was incredible. But yeah you can't really cram all of Ultron in a 2 hour movie without turning his story into a somewhat generic evil ai murderbot story. Ultron deserved the infinity war treatment.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MAZAHS117

I don’t hate it. I wouldn’t count it as an all-time great, but it has all the stuff that makes for great cbm moments; the team vs Hydra, Hulk vs Hulkbuster, and the team vs the Ultron-bots defending the Vibranium core is something ripped outta the pages of an Avengers comic. Great Chemistry is there between the cast, like the Avengers Tower party scene and some really good stuff between RDJ and Evans characters. Hell, I didn’t even mind the Hulk/Widow bit, I thought it was a good scene between Ruffalo and Scarlett. ... The downsides for me at least, is how Thor was handled, his little side arc seemed out of place or forced or somethin, like they didn’t know what to do with him exactly. And while Ultron started out great and menacing, the quips and sass got old quick for me.

It’s been awhile since I watched it, but looking back on what I remember there’s more good than bad I think

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t hate it. I wouldn’t count it as an all-time great, but it has all the stuff that makes for great cbm moments; the team vs Hydra, Hulk vs Hulkbuster, and the team vs the Ultro-bots defending the Vibranium core is something ripped outta the pages of an Avengers comic. Great Chemistry is there between the cast, like the Avengers Tower party scene and some really good stuff between RDJ and Evans characters. Hell, I didn’t even mind the Hulk/Widow bit, I thought it was a good scene between Ruffalo and Scarlett. ... The downsides for me at least, is how Thor was handled, his little side arc seemed out of place or forced or somethin, like they didn’t know what to do with him exactly. And while Ultron started out great and menacing, the quips and sass got old quick for me.

It’s been awhile since I watched it, but looking back on what I remember there’s more good than bad I think

I basically agree with this except for Ultron's quips and sass getting old. I loved his "Oh for god's sake!" moment, and that was fairly late in the movie. And again, isn't a sarcastic and quippy Ultron better than a more generic, screaming maniac raving about how much he hates the meatbags?

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultron was too underwhelming to be a villain for an Avengers film. He would have worked better as the villain for an Iron Man solo movie.

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WhyZoSerious

Cuz it's very good among great movies.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mazahs117 said:

I don’t hate it. I wouldn’t count it as an all-time great, but it has all the stuff that makes for great cbm moments; the team vs Hydra, Hulk vs Hulkbuster, and the team vs the Ultro-bots defending the Vibranium core is something ripped outta the pages of an Avengers comic. Great Chemistry is there between the cast, like the Avengers Tower party scene and some really good stuff between RDJ and Evans characters. Hell, I didn’t even mind the Hulk/Widow bit, I thought it was a good scene between Ruffalo and Scarlett. ... The downsides for me at least, is how Thor was handled, his little side arc seemed out of place or forced or somethin, like they didn’t know what to do with him exactly. And while Ultron started out great and menacing, the quips and sass got old quick for me.

I basically agree with this except for Ultron's quips and sass getting old. I loved his "Oh for god's sake!" moment, and that was fairly late in the movie. And again, isn't a sarcastic and quippy Ultron better than a more generic, screaming maniac raving about how much he hates the meatbags?

Ultron started out great, like really great when he attacked the team after becoming self-aware right after the party scene. He was equal parts menacing, sinester, intelligent with just a bit of a snide superiority attitude about him..but went slowly down hill from there I thought. James Spader is talented and more than adequate acting wise to give a performance more than generic, but villains typically are an opportunity for MCU flicks, there’s been some really good actors/actresses that have been cast in villain roles with the MCU, but I suspect Disney keeps the actors/actresses that play them on a short leash creatively for reasons unbeknowest to me. I‘m glad you liked him, but Ultron really just ended up not being my cup of tea

Avatar image for captainplanet_2
    Captainplanet_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it was misleading. It was not age of Ultron just a week of Ultron.

Also Black Widow Hulk was super cringy and Black Widow considers herself a monster because she is Sterile . Seriously Marvel!

Vulkanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Ultron acted completely out of character and the title of the movie is a reference to a comic book about an apocalyptic world where Ultron takes over and humanity is extinct except for a few heroes.

Then the movie comes out and it’s nothing like it was advertised to be. It was more like Two Days of nUltron.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alavanka said:

Ultron was too underwhelming to be a villain for an Avengers film. He would have worked better as the villain for an Iron Man solo movie.

I don't think Ultron is too underwhelming to be an Avengers villain; he's one of their greatest enemies in the comics. I think he was a logical choice for a villain in an Avengers movie. And, given that he is, as I just said, one of their main enemies, I think it was inevitable that the Avengers movies were going to use him at some point.

AtmExle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultron was nothing like what was portrayed in the trailers, in fact, the whole tone of the movie is completely different. He was basically a robot Tony Stark and wasn't menacing the least bit. I know he was built after Tony, but there are ways they could have made him scarier.

He didn't seem like a "team buster" and had trouble with many Avengers 1v1, very underwhelming indeed especially if you have read the comics and how he's able to contend with multiple Avengers at once.

The movie also took too much screentime to set up other movies like Ragnarok, Civil War, Infinity War and what have you, doing that made the plot a lot weaker. However, upon a rewatch, those things actually made the movie a lot stronger.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alavanka said:

I don't think Ultron is too underwhelming to be an Avengers villain; he's one of their greatest enemies in the comics. I think he was a logical choice for a villain in an Avengers movie. And, given that he is, as I just said, one of their main enemies, I think it was inevitable that the Avengers movies were going to use him at some point.

In the comics. Not the version we got onscreen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0b495e7009f
    deactivated-5d0b495e7009f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that movie. I am also suprised people hates it

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
    ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cuz they haters bruh

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shroudofsorrow: it was an idiotic plan that was way too complicated. He could have just as easily set off all the nukes, screwed with technology , poison the world’s water supply, etc. they obviously had threads that they abandoned. Remember thanos already had an infinity gauntlet but in avengers 3 he had to have one made.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#27 SC  Moderator

I enjoyed it personally, but I do admit I had higher hopes.

My guess would be people generally had high expectations that weren't met, and I would actually even blame the trailers a little bit, for misleading people to a degree. What I mean by that, is that I am a huge James Spader fan. I rarely consider myself a fan of many actors, he is one of the few, mostly his Boston Legal and Practice work. I actually liked his deadpan snark as Ultron, but I would have liked it even more, if he had that, but also could, on a dime, switch to a more chilling and intimidating menace, the same way I felt he came across in the trailers, with the remix of "I've Got No Strings". That never happened though, he was sort of a joke that used numbers to overwhelm, and a big heavy rock essentially - and there is nuance there and symmetry with Iron Man and all that - but I think I would have enjoyed a more physically imposing Ultron, that needed some cool Avenger team work and power combos to defeat, as well as a bit more oomph.

In hindsight though, they probably wanted to reserve that sense of individual intimidation for Thanos.

I think Suicide Squad suffered from similar problems. The Queen Bohemian Rhapsody was really popular, I liked it too, but I actually preferred the trailer sense and mood of the trailer that preceded it, which, incidentally used a remix too, this time "I Started a Joke" I felt it gave Suicide Squad an unnerving chilling feel, the actual movie (which I enjoyed mind you) felt more generic and incoherent.

Basically I want a movie that has an innocent theme song that is subverted to be an edgy, sinister, creepy unnerving feel to it. What superhero movie can use Mary Had A Little Lamb in an edgy dark... oh wait, The Silence of the Lambs, nevermind.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Mostly because it wasn't better than the first Avengers movie. As I think I have said on a similar thread, it just didn't take the franchise to the next level.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PayneInTheAss

Lot of hype

Similar to what happens with TDK and TDKR

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 anthp2000  Moderator

It was a very enjoyable movie, but objectively had a whole bunch of deep quality problems.

ImMadNice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Age of Ultron was great

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce and BW’s romance came out of nowhere, plus in the ultimate comics at least there was actual build up and development to Pete and Kitty’s relationship

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a good movie. The only fault with it was Qs. The only guy I loved the most and he gets killed. Ultron was funny but not at all like an intelligence

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's better than Avengers 1, Civil War, and Infinity War, in my opinion.

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nucleon

@shroudofsorrow: I mean, I know a lot of people disliked the Banner/Black Widow romance, but I honestly thought that was fine. And if Ultimate Spider-Man and Kitty Pryde is acceptable, I fail to see how Banner and Nat is anymore outrageous or illogical a pairing. And even if you don't like it, that shouldn't ruin a movie by itself.

Bah. Natasha pretty much slept with everyone in the comicbooks; I don't see what so strange about it, furthermore that it looked rather clean as far as human relations are concerned.

I don't dislike the movie, I just happen to think it is a rather ordinary film. It was Whedon's TV nature coming back right at him. It wasn't bad, just not as special as the other two Avengers movies. I rate it 6/10 whereas I rate the first and last ones 7 and 8, respectively.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate is a strong word. Disappointing turning point would be more like it.

1. Misleading trailers. Made it look like there would actually be stakes (they effing saved everyone, even the dog... how sweet. And sterile) and tonal shift compared to first movie when it was nothing but a lie.

2. Ultron... Oh damn, "look we have yet another snarky quip master right here, but now, wait for it, evil and robot! how cool is it?!" Yeah, no. First, he didn't even feel like an antihuman AI which is what he is supposed to be. No cold logic, no strong points about human bullshit, just Tony Stark 2.0, now fully iron. And don't tell that he was based off of him, he shouldn't have been in the first place. I mean, they even gave him lips to humanize him... how pathetic was that? It was afraid to make him a commentary on the dangers of technological revolution we're experiencing which was the most natural thing to do. I mean everything about him reeked of lazy writing. Speaking of which...

3. No novelty. Same old dynamics (beside probably Nat/Bruce thing, which was pretty random I think), same old snarks, same old never actually getting into it. It kinda showed Whedon has no range actually.

And so on. Not in the mood to make a full review. I will say it isn't a bad flick for what it was, with some even good things to it. But in the end? It was a major disappointment to me. A moment I realized MCU has become a riskless business.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don't.

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Ultron... Oh damn, "look we have yet another snarky quip master right here, but now, wait for it, evil and robot! how cool is it?!" Yeah, no. First, he didn't even feel like an antihuman AI which is what he is supposed to be. No cold logic, no strong points about human bullshit, just Tony Stark 2.0, now fully iron. And don't tell that he was based off of him, he shouldn't have been in the first place. I mean, they even gave him lips to humanize him... how pathetic was that? It was afraid to make him a commentary on the dangers of technological revolution we're experiencing which was the most natural thing to do. I mean everything about him reeked of lazy writing.

Yeah. Totally right.

But admitedly, he was hard to fit in: His story in the comicbooks is one about Oedipus complex and a complicated web of parentage with many Avengers, effectively making him part of their familly. IMO he would have benefitted from more character development - a shame, because Ultron is definitely in the Avengers' top-3 rogues.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By adamTRMM

@nucleon:

I think the OC aspect of his character is a bit overrated. And it isn't obligatory. In the end of the day, he became what he was by absorbing all of the misery and frustrations Pym shared with him. Eventually it sort of reprogrammed him. And since we had Stark with his Iron Patrol and quite a few innuendos on how he's perceived imperialist and fascist and what not, I think his concerns could've been just as successfully integrated and mirrored onto his AI system. Which in totality with continuous nature of unsolvable human crises would lead that AI to gain its new identity of Ultorn as the Ultimate solution to the human question, for example.

See if I can spin in way it makes sense for movie all while respecting the source material, I think professional writers can too. They just didn't want to...

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shroudofsorrow: it was an idiotic plan that was way too complicated. He could have just as easily set off all the nukes, screwed with technology , poison the world’s water supply, etc. they obviously had threads that they abandoned. Remember thanos already had an infinity gauntlet but in avengers 3 he had to have one made.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce and BW’s romance came out of nowhere, plus in the ultimate comics at least there was actual build up and development to Pete and Kitty’s relationship

Not it didn't. They met and became a couple in the span of a single comic issue. Didn't seem like there was much build-up to me.

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Nucleon

@adamtrmm: Without the OC aspect, Ultron is just another AI-type of ennemy; but the OC gives him (sick) human traits that makes him deviate from his cold programs, and definitely taints his every actions in the end. It is the way he feels human.

I agree he was being too much humanized in AoU, and not in the right way: His alliance with the twins was out-of-character, and he wasn't scary - Ultron in the comics is scary, with the mouth furnace and robotic tone. But IMO the movie's worst problem is that it is way too alike Iron Man 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Long, noisy, empty, pathetic let down of a villain, repeat of first avengers, new characters are duds, yeah...

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
    MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was more quips than substance

Utrons mannerisms were way to human his metal mouth and face would move like a human and bend weird plus he sucked

Story lacks substance, wayyy to many quips, ulteon wasnt used properly

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By shroudofsorrow

@farkam said:

Long, noisy, empty, pathetic let down of a villain, repeat of first avengers, new characters are duds, yeah...

I don't think it was "noisy and empty". I think the movie had a solid enough Ultron story that saw Tony Stark giving into his fears and making a huge mistake based on that fear. I don't think that's "empty". Not any more than something like Thor: Ragnarok, which was mostly concerned with being a fun time rather then anything resembling what Tony Stark has to go through in AoU.

I also don't see how it's a "repeat" of the first film; this movie doesn't deal with an alien invasion, and the team is already formed rather then needing to come together. Obviously there are similarities between the two, but why wouldn't there be? They involve the same characters and director. But I don't think that makes one a "repeat" of the latter.

There was more quips than substance

Utrons mannerisms were way to human his metal mouth and face would move like a human and bend weird plus he sucked

Story lacks substance, wayyy to many quips, ulteon wasnt used properly

Again, I don't see how it lacks substance; a story about Tony Stark nearly destroying his own team through his own fear and foolishness doesn't seem like a lack of substance. I also don't see how a story like that is any less filled with substance then many other MCU films are (The Thor trilogy, Ant-Man and Wasp, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.). Likewise, I don't think the amount of quips in AoU is any worse then the amount of humor found in most MCU movies (including the ones I just mentioned).

OK, so at this point, I'm seeing a pattern with the reasons here. Namely:

1) A lot of disappointment over how Ultron was handled

2) A feeling of false advertisement regarding the movie's tone being lighter then the trailers made it seem

3) Feeling like the second movie didn't do enough to feel distinct from the first film.

4) A hatred of the quips and humor

I've seen other reasons given, but these seem to be the four most common. I honestly don't agree with the first or fourth at all, and the second and third aren't reasons enough to hate or be highly critical of the movie in my mind. But hey, at least now I have a better sense of why so many people (unjustly), hate on this film.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
    MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shroudofsorrow: its not a hatred of quips or humor there was just way to much of it and it was used at horrible times and much of it wasnt funny whatsoever look at Infinity War there was a bunch of quips and the movie is very much liked

The reality is AoU is the worst Avengers film get over it

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nucleon:

Without the OC aspect, Ultron is just another AI-type of ennemy; but the OC gives him (sick) human traits that makes him deviate from his cold programs, and definitely taints his every actions in the end. It is the way he feels human.

At worst give Stark that role. But like I said, I disagree. Seeing him dissing humanity and exploiting their best inventions against them PROPERLY would already be satisfying enough.

I agree he was being too much humanized in AoU, and not in the right way: His alliance with the twins was out-of-character, and he wasn't scary - Ultron in the comics is scary, with the mouth furnace and robotic tone. But IMO the movie's worst problem is that it is way too alike Iron Man 3.

Can you elaborate?

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By christianrapper

@shroudofsorrow: man. It’s ok to admit that movies change course sometimes. All series do it. It’s obvious that’s not the same gauntlet. Thanos isn’t even the same Heck, odin even had a fully formed infinity gauntlet. Marvel was not building to infinity war ending the way it did in part 3 the whole time. It’s almost impossible for a series with 21 movies not to have them. Denying obvious ones just doesn’t make sense. It’s ok to love a series without denying the facts. I love the movies but I am not stupid. All movies and series have flaws.

IPvMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultron.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.