Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

Why are people still insisting that MCU Captain Marvel is stronger than Thanos?

• 82 results
    Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Erkan12

Do you realize how much power you need to fly towards the entire Sanctuary II bombardment and take no damage while doing it?

No Caption Provided

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because she is.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
    SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@nomar said:

@supremegeneration: She no sells his attack (his face is clearly shocked)

Didn't realize her durability feat against him meant she was stronger.

and he's on the defensive the entire time (at this point).

Because she can fly and can get into a better position than him.

Then he has to use the power gem in an act of desperation.

Personally I think it was more of Thanos's way of dealing with the situation ASAP but I do agree it was his last resort.

Like seriously this isn't hard to decipher

Was any of what I said in my previous post wrong? If so, prove it.

and you're coming in with a clear bias.

Sure.

If the feats were reversed your opinion on who is stronger would remain the same.

No, because I have eyes and a brain. If Carol on a knee holds off a flying Thanos with a single arm, while Thanos is pushing downwards and she's keeping him still, she is stronger than Thanos. That's not what happened, though.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thanos is stronger and it’s evidently clear, anyone who thinks otherwise needs to actually see the feat for what it is and the context before and during. As well as the consistency with previous feats as well as what the directors/writers have expressed.

bleidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicgirl21:

You think too highly of Korath it seems. He was just an above average Kree. There's no reason to think that he knew that Celestials were still around. And there's absolutely no reason to think that he even knew that Odin defeated Hela and Surtur. Like I said in my previous reply all those events took place aeons before his time.

Also, Russos have confirmed in an interview that Thanos was taken by surprise in IW and that that beam was no where near the full power of the gauntlet. In a straight up fight Thanos would've defeated Thor.

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even setting aside the clear energy absorption amp, she never did anything to indicate she even rivaled him, much less boasted superiority. She rushed him while he was offguard and he still quickly stomped her. And that was after he fought through basically all of the top-tier Avengers. Yeah, she later physically overpowered him, but she did so with maximum effort and with two arms -- he was only using one.

iEon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because she is. And that was Russo PIS.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Noone1996

This is probably the first time I have ever agreed with the OP.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only side that's "cherry picking gifs" is the side of the argument that claims Carol is naturally stronger than Thanos. What is their answer to Carol's leg being overpowered by a frail arm and weakened individual? Was she not trying? Are her legs not super powered like the rest of her body? No answer. Meanwhile, the reply about the ending scene is simple: energy absorption/manipulation. Is it a coincidence that she is glowing and energy is flying everywhere as she grabs and holds onto the gauntlet? Doubtful. Either way, she used two arms with flight and he used one arm in that scene.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People that claim Carol is stronger also ignore the fact that Dr. Strange saw over 14 million alternate timelines/scenarios with Thanos and Captain Overrated didn't seem to decide the outcome in any of them.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By krisbishop  Moderator

Because Carol no-sold a generic headbutt from an exhausted and injured Thanos that just fought and defeated basically every powerful Avenger on their roster. And also she managed to overpower one of his palms with both her arms briefly.

Don't get me wrong, it's a really good showing, but that doesn't put her above Thanos.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d4092c43d62c
    deactivated-5d4092c43d62c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjar: But do u think she really can absorb energy ? Feige never confirmed this, MCU wiki can be sometimes tricky and not right + visuals can make u impression she can aborb energy from the Gauntlet but it can also be tricky and not true at all.

Back to topic: Carol is stronger as consistently it was shown but Thanos fanboys are too butthurt to accept the truth

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
    deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gateofbabylon: yep I’m on the same page as this, plus he already held off two “Thor's” and then wore the gauntlet with the same arm.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
    MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because that's how it was clearly protrayed

kalkent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is probably the first time I have ever agreed with the OP.

The only thing that we ever argued about was the bait thread I made of 616 spider-man vs dceu superman, IIRC, and maybe the IW Thor vs dceu superman thread.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kalkent: I'm pretty sure you are always, or more often, siding with live action characters over 616 ones.

kalkent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kalkent: I'm pretty sure you are always, or more often, siding with live action characters over 616 ones.

When the matchup is in the live action characters failure, then sure.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Erkan12

I've changed my mind about this.

I simply forgot the factor that using the full IG requires a tremendous amount of stamina, strength and durability, it hinders the user's physical abilities.

Remember Hulk's condition when he used the full infinity gauntlet;

No Caption Provided

Hulk was in pain and it's obvious that it drains his physical abilities at least %50. It's a continent level energy.

And Captain Marvel only overpowered Thanos after Thanos wore the full infinity gauntlet, before that she lose the fight to Thanos.

These guys also mentioned the side effects of the full IG.

Loading Video...

Another evidence is that only Thanos and Hulk are strong enough to use the full IG, Captain Marvel may not survive it.

Question: ''Why Iron Man has to be the one to do the final snap, couldn't the people like Thor, Star-Lord or Captain Marvel whom all previously have handled the power of Infinity Stones done it instead?''

Joe Russo: ''Thor in this movie couldn't do it, only Hulk was strong enough to do the snap without dying. We are still not sure whether Captain Marvel can also withstand all the power of Infinity Stones at once.''

- Q&A from China 30/04/2019

Avatar image for deactivated-6155f5fcc6972
    deactivated-6155f5fcc6972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finalkingthanos said:

Awwwwww I wrote this big long post and deleted it by mistake so annoying lol feel like I had some decent points, I’ll maybe think about writing it again once I’m back from the doctors.

On the above convo IW Thanos and EG are officially two different people so that is true for that part.

But he absolutely has no trouble beating Iron Man or Cap lol the film (IW) couldn’t have been any clearer about that and Thors attack is a clear Amish and using new weaponry as a surprise, IW Thanos wanted a fair snap.

EG Thanos seen that he still dies and they try to undo his work so he comes down to fight focussed and prepares to do anything to win (rain fire etc).

Different people as in EG Thanos comes from an alternate timeline? If he comes from a divergent version of MCU (which he does until stated otherwise), then he would basically be MCU Thanos with an alternate history than the original one. Them being technically different people have little to do with power level differences between the two Thanoses. The only possible power level difference would be if the main Thanos grew weaker or stronger between Guardians of the Galaxy and IW, unless that's what you meant. Otherwise, he would have the same power level.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starsprime3:

If I remember correctly it was all of the above and this I was referring to

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook.com/marvel/amp/2019/05/19/avengers-endgame-thanos-time-travel-differences/

Avatar image for deactivated-6155f5fcc6972
    deactivated-6155f5fcc6972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starsprime3:

If I remember correctly it was all of the above and this I was referring to

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook.com/marvel/amp/2019/05/19/avengers-endgame-thanos-time-travel-differences/

Thanks for the link.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DreadBringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then in Endgame, he suddenly switches back to his killer mode. He sees that the universe is not grateful for being balanced and suddenly becomes a one dimensional evil character who just wants to destroy the entire universe and then create it back in his image, just like Malekith, Ego, and a hundred other flat villains before him. And oh, look! He is even gonna enjoy his plain and straight murdering again.

No Caption Provided

is powerset also completely changed... Yeah they didn't suddenly give him new powers, but how do you explain Thanos with THE INFINITY GAUNTLET getting one shot and overpowered by Stormbreaker Thor...

No Caption Provided

Clearly struggling to defeat Iron man in a solo fight and even bleeding in the process...

No Caption Provided

And even getting temporarily held off by Captain America

No Caption Provided

To Thanos kicking the ass of all 3 of the at the same time in Endgame, even though all 3 got significant powerups, and Thanos HAS NO INFINITY STONES NOW.

No Caption Provided

I mean do a simple math at this. It's like Thanos got 10 times powerup by LOSING THE GAUNTLET. It's ridiculous.

This is what happens when you try to make an entire cinematic universe but never do any serious long term planning on your franchise. Every movie in the MCU has their own director who is given a free hand, there are NO loremasters over this thing and that leads inevitably to massive plot holes, continuity errors, and yes, characters being rebooted with completely different traits and stats. There is no one "MCU Thanos".

There is "Endgame Thanos", "Infinity War Thanos" "GotG Thanos" etc. and each should be treated like a completely different character, which he is.

You are WAAAY overplaying the heroes' feat here. Since when just a tiny scratch for Iron Man means you are close to defeating someone? Did you forget to see that Thanos also wrecked Iron Man right after with Iron Man no getting further hits? And also with his fists 95% of the time, only using 1 Power Stone punch after, even finishing him off with Tony's own weapon?

Also since when just holding someone sandbagging temporarily makes you close to beating him (Cap)? Thanos was just intrigued by Cap's resolve and most importantly, Cap went down in 1 punch.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/wegotthiscovered.com/movies/kevin-feige-says-captain-marvel-will-be-stronger-than-even-thanos/amp/

Avatar image for deactivated-60d22a069f2ea
    deactivated-60d22a069f2ea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she already beat thanos, no difficulty

TheRevaniter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean with the gauntlet shes not but without it she is stronger.

Avatar image for deactivated-60d22a069f2ea
    deactivated-60d22a069f2ea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she is

Avatar image for deactivated-60e9d095c91dd
    deactivated-60e9d095c91dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos > Thor > Carol Strength feat wise.

Torrentio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicgirl21:

I'd say its simply the Russos being utterly mindless anout maintaining consistency and being the type to change everything to fit whatever plot was goingbon currently. While its most blatant in IW and EF, you can see it even in CW and a bit in TWS.

The only other movie with that level of inconsistency is Eternals, a movie directed by someone who has baely any experience in action movies.

Torrentio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dreadbringer:

She nevervsaid close to beating, just saud Thanos was struggling.

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cause it's a fact.

Monica from wandavision pretty much confirms it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.