Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

What to make of Thor's star feat?

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Richubs

OK so we all know that Thor opened the eye of a Dyson sphere to allow energy from a neutron star to pass through it.

Now for those who don't know a Dyson sphere is a hypothetical structure that'd allow us to harness the output of a whole star for energy.

Thor was in a beam from a Neutron Star whose energy output in ONE SECOND is enough to run the current earth for ONE MILLION YEARS. Humans have been around for only 2 million years so that's a whopping large number.

It makes the largest Nuke ever look like an electron in terms of power output and obviously this beam would be hotter than anything any of us could ever imagine. That'd also mean Kryptonian heat vision won't even register to Thor because it'd be just like a nuisance.

However if that is true it'd mean the beam was that hot and it'd als mean the beam by just being there would melt the whole structure it was hitting. It'd vaporise it in one second and also kill Eitri who was close to it.

So what do we make of this feat?

Do we agree that Thor took something that'd make nukes look like nothing or do we agree that the writers weren't particularly thinking when they did this or is there some other alternative?

MrTrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The writers were contradicting themselves and they're dumb.

The feat is both over-wanked and downplayed by nerds who care way too much about who's metaphorical fight dick is bigger.

Essem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This so called neutron star behaved or had the properties of a proper neutron star as much as a magnet you hang on the fridge compared to a Black Hole formed from a massive Supernova. It's actually laughable that the writers/directors have so little knowledge in this field that they actually let it pass on screen. Atleast try to make it believable.

If its said on the screen that someone is making a pizza but you can clearly see they are making a burger, which one is it?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theres nothing to contradict it. Hes taken fire and multiple explosions before and has never been burned

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MonsterStomp

Again... almost dying isn't feat.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Everything else he has taken before this is not even a billionth of what he'd have taken in a neutron star Dyson sphere.

That's why I made this thread.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Richubs

@monsterstomp: It is given what he took. If we go by feats I don't see any live action character (barring dudes like Dormammu and Galactus etc.) being in that beam for even half a second. Thor not turning into Ash in just a second is something crazy. I actually argued against this feat but then I read a little more on Dyson Sphere's and realized what the feat actually is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't think about it so much. The writers wanted Thor to perform a godlike feat, something truly insane for him to go through in order to get a Thanos-killing weapon. In terms of battles, unless someone has a similar feat (no one does lol) then Thor has far greater energy durability than them, including heat.

Also lol at not thinking surviving a full blast from a neutron star for a prolonged time is a feat. The fact that he is not ash is a huge feat by itself. In the Brandon Routh Superman movie, he almost died lifting the Kryptonite island into space, imagine thinking that is not a strength feat because he almost died doing it.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: I disagree. And I used the argument for someone on a more human level.

Say a person got hit by a bus, and the only thing that saved him was a quick response from the ER. Is that impressive durability? A similar idea is being argued here.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Richubs

@monsterstomp: Huge difference between a bus hit and this feat.

He was in that for a prolonged time and definitely not down. I think we both can agree that if he had let go after one second he would've survived and would've come out without any critical injuries right?

Because he'd have taken the full output of a neutron star in that one second.

The very fact that his body didn't turn to Ash immediately means his body can survive such energy output. Its a durability feat.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: Yes but by feats it doesnt contradict

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: Oh come on now. Being hit by a bus is not a fair comparison. Thor’s feat was over time, and he was able to withstand it for about 30 seconds (after that he was near dead). Being hit by a bus is like a second

X

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xzone: Yeah being hit by a bus is a second. What about the minutes until the ambulance arrives? Check yourself.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: If we want to make this comparable then it's a bad comparison.

If the guy had been hit by the bus and the bus had dragged him with it for a minute or so and he had received no major injuries for the first half of the minute and had only felt pain and not have snapped in half it would be comparable and would also be a great durability feat.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: That is definitely not what happened in Thor's feat. At no point did Thor take zero damage. If he did, he wouldn't have nearly died. He would have continued to take zero damage. Its obvious that the damage was progressive.

So my comparison is pretty spot on.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Richubs

@monsterstomp: I said no MAJOR injuries. He was getting cooked alive and didn't sustain any major injury for the first 30 seconds.

So yeah, to make the comparison spot on the guy has to be dragged by the bus and sustain no major injuries for the first 30 seconds. Which would be very very impressive for a human.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: It was progressive damage. I don't sustain major injuries the first few seconds I touch fire either. In fact I should correct myself. Make a comparison to someone burning. As that's technically what happens. Just on a larger scale.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: A human thrown in a fire and not sustaining any injuries for some time is also crazy.

And Thor was taking something that makes a nuke look like an match next to a Supernova. It's definitely a durability feat.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Richubs

@monsterstomp: Prove what?

The fact Thor took that much energy?

Just read the OP. You don't even know what the thread is about appparantly.

I am not even saying I think he took that much energy or that it should be considered as a feat. That's the question here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9
    deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@essem: I love your analogy. And it's correct

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ourmanuel

Not to sure what to think.

It’s impressivee, but it could be an outlier. I still don’t think he can survive a nuke point blank, but that’s just me.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I take nothing from that feat but that Thor can handle being steadily burned by something hot. That beam is not as hot as a star though, and Thor clearly can be burned by less.

jaakor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pathetic, the show clearly says what he is going to withstand,no vaguness whatsoever. Disliking the feat or the writers won't make it go away

huthimamwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally. I've been waiting months for someone to make a discussion topic about Thor's star feat. Its about time people started talking about this overlooked feat.

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ha that’s not worth responding to

X

Chazzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100% legit.

Most impressive feat in MCU/DCEU.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

"What to make of Thor's star feat?"

Stormbreaker obviously.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: Prove that Thor's feat should be considered feasible when the results of it was nearing death. Its a pain tolerance feat at best.

I know its not what the thread is about. I just made a claim and everyone just seems to be on it.

FOSTINOE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: dude...good analogy with the superman-kryptonite lifting feat.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thor star feat thread #234

Joker567892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not really able to be calced, I believe the VFX team stated something about Purple Plasma in the star being activated.

Which of course has nothing to do with a Neutron Star, I'll still say Thor was impressive in the film though.

NiteLite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^^That "star" feat was an impressive showing of Thor regardless of being an actual star or not.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35 krisbishop  Moderator

That feat is exactly what it seems. He tanked a neutron star blast for an amount of time. Stated so explicitly in the movie, and also out of the movie by Word of God. There's nothing more to it, no mental gymnastics needed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.