Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

Was Thor nerfed in Endgame or not?

ErentheGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Was Thor nerfed in Endgame or not? (59 votes)

Yes. 68%
    No. He was the same Thor from IW. 31%

I see this discussion a lot. Figured I'd poll it. Some say he was, others say no.

For me, I say yes, because I thought he could have fought Thanos a lot better. He pretty much had low agility and although I wouldn't say he was any weaker strength wise, he definitely lost mobility and didn't incorporate flight or lightning strikes at Thanos at all. In Infinity War he was much more agile, and he seemed more powerful to me at least. I think if you give IW Thor both weapons he would have faired much better hypothetically. The way Cap gained the upper hand is the way Thor would have too but maybe even better. That's all I'm saying.

But then again, Thor has always been more powerful than the MCU has ever really portrayed him.

• 
    Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. He was just fat now.

He didn't use his abilities well however.

His physicals and durability were pretty much the same.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs said:

No. He was just fat now.

He didn't use his abilities well however.

His physicals and durability were pretty much the same.

May have been due to the drinking and weight gain. Thor needs an intervention.

ThorofAsgard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ll never get over how Thor tanked/no sold like 10 point black punches to the face from Hulk but Thanos punches really affected him. Maybe Thanos just punches that much harder

Avatar image for deactivated-5da4168075532
    deactivated-5da4168075532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, The movie tells that multiple times that Thor is both mentally and physically unfit. So yeah he was nerfed.

They also nerfed Hulk by injuring and weakening him by the snap

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce:

True.

I was expecting some cool ass lightning moves.

But it mostly boiled down to h2h.

And we've only seen single lightning charged punch ever. I was expecting to see that as well.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He jobbed.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. He was just in bad shape physically and mentally.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
    deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes he was. He fought like an idiot, as well and just forgot all the powers he has.

TheCapstrikes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu: that’s just a pretty way to say nerfed

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, he just never was Star level lol

Avatar image for supermanforever
    Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No he was just as agile and imrpessive in combat and he had mjolnir aswell. 20-30 lb fat wont stop multithousand tonner god.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Alavanka

Yes. Sitting on your ass playing video games for 5 years makes you muscle atrophy, and fat makes your body weak. Even if you want to make the argument that Thor's god magic outweighs his physicality, Thor's god powers are affected by his mental state and he was a mess during Endgame in that regard too.

GeraltsOpinion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GeraltsOpinion

No. They gave other characters moments to shine. Thanos army would have been fodder to Thor. He isn't going to do massive aoe attacks with all of his allies near him.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Richubs

@thecapstrikes:

Nerfing would be makimg him weaker without explanation.

Atleast that's what most people are taking about in case of MCU Thor

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He was not the same Thor as in IW his physical shape clearly had an effect on him as did his mental state. He was nerfed but the nerf wasn't just out of nowhere the nerf had context behind it.

The Russo's have talked about how Thor's physical and mental state has effected him.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

Misterpollas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was fast, not very in a good mental state actually and he was like 5 years without fighting.

He was the same person, but not in the same level.

tethadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

End game was about Captain America and Iron Man shining. Thor was there only as a heavy hitter/distraction so they wont die. It wasnt about him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e37510e25a10
    deactivated-5e37510e25a10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He wasn’t any less durable or strong. He just fought like an idiot. So I guess he was. Similar to JL WW.

avalanche_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorofasgard: it only took thanos 12 blows to put the hulk down. I think he hits a lot harder. He also stomped on Thor twice in endgame.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No he’s just a terrible fighter, seriously he never used lightning once against Thanos

Thor’s strength/durability wasn’t nerfed at all actually. People just overestimated his IW durability. His strength wasn’t nerfed either because of you add 100 pounds of fat onto someone who can lift thousands of tons (Thor) the extra weight is negligible and almost irrelevant.

Honestly I think he was just a stupid drunk

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many dumb people on this site.

@tethadam said:

End game was about Captain America and Iron Man shining. Thor was there only as a heavy hitter/distraction so they wont die. It wasnt about him.

This ^

FirstFirmament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People tend to forget he one shotted Iron Man and almost killed Thanos in attempt to keep him from the Gantlet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf823e3012e8
    deactivated-5cf823e3012e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He wasn't the same mentally

Avatar image for eternaldarkfury
    EternalDarkFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No he was just overhyped post IW because he caught Thanos off guard.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was not the same Thor as in IW his physical shape clearly had an effect on him as did his mental state. He was nerfed but the nerf wasn't just out of nowhere the nerf had context behind it.

The Russo's have talked about how Thor's physical and mental state has effected him.

This. And for the people who keep saying having a few extra pounds wouldn’t affect a multi-tonner..

Hemsworth told Variety: "Physically, it was a good three hours in hair and makeup. Then the prosthetic suit, particularly for the shirt-off scene, that was a big silicone that weighed about 90 pounds. It was certainly exhausting. I had weights on my hands and ankles just to have my arms and legs swing differently when I shuffled along through the set." Source

Clearly the writers/directors felt differently or they would’n’t have made him wear weights on his hands and ankles to restrict his movements. He wasn’t as agile or fast as he has been. And you can say he’s a dumb and fighter and never uses his abilities, but there’s one ability he has used in every fight, lightning. Not one time did he use lightning on Thanos in this movie, not even when he was pinned down. They clearly nerfed Thor (with some context). I blame it on the fact they had them fight a Thanos with the gems before they fought him without them. It’s the same reason they had to keep Strange occupied and away from Thanos the entire fight.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 anthp2000  Moderator

Logically, he's slightly below his prime self. Not to the degree CV want to make it out to be though.

BalancedTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BalancedTruth

Does this need to be asked every ten seconds?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edbb4007f071
    deactivated-5edbb4007f071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously not

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ll never get over how Thor tanked/no sold like 10 point black punches to the face from Hulk but Thanos punches really affected him. Maybe Thanos just punches that much harder

Thanos already stomped Thor and the asgardians on their ship

Karkus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say so. The Russos seemed to imply it in their Q&A.

Q: Why Iron Man has to be the one to do the final snap, couldn't the people like Thor, Star-Lord or Captain Marvel whom all previously have handled the power of Infinity Stones done it instead?

A: Thor in this movie couldn't do it, only Hulk was strong enough to do the snap without dying. We are still not sure whether Captain Marvel can also withstand all the power of Infinity Stones at once. The reason we choose to let Iron Man do it in the end was because he was the closest one to Thanos at the time. In all the futures Doctor Strange foresee, Iron Man was the only one who could get close to Thanos and do the snap. People usually think the death of a hero is a horrible tragedy. But we think this is different. When his death was able to bring back hope, to save half of the universe, then his death was powerful and meaningful. We shouldn't feel too sad or angry about it.

The language here is particularity interesting. They state Thor in this movie couldn't do it, not that Thor couldn't do it.

Hood_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think he "nerfed" in power all that much however he was having panic attacks and had a hard time dealing with his emotions throughout the film.

At the end though, he still had the courage to fight Thanos and still gave it all he got

It's also very possible that Thanos got a big buff in this movie while Thor stayed the same in strength.

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Paytience

Yeah...he was badly out of shape, and he draws his strength from Asgard. The flame of Asgard is gone and if Asgard is the people as Odin said-Hela slaughtered most of them and Thanos snapped away half of what remained.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorthunder98 said:

This. And for the people who keep saying having a few extra pounds wouldn’t affect a multi-tonner..

Hemsworth told Variety: "Physically, it was a good three hours in hair and makeup. Then the prosthetic suit, particularly for the shirt-off scene, that was a big silicone that weighed about 90 pounds. It was certainly exhausting. I had weights on my hands and ankles just to have my arms and legs swing differently when I shuffled along through the set." Source

Clearly the writers/directors felt differently or they would’n’t have made him wear weights on his hands and ankles to restrict his movements. He wasn’t as agile or fast as he has been. And you can say he’s a dumb and fighter and never uses his abilities, but there’s one ability he has used in every fight, lightning. Not one time did he use lightning on Thanos in this movie, not even when he was pinned down. They clearly nerfed Thor (with some context). I blame it on the fact they had them fight a Thanos with the gems before they fought him without them. It’s the same reason they had to keep Strange occupied and away from Thanos the entire fight.

He did not use lightning against the Destroyer, Hulk in the helicarrier, Kurse, Iron Legion bots, Ultron bots in the ship and Thanos in endgame.

MattyBoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap did better than him...

Im pretty sure that answers your question

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paytience: We literally see his people still alive in EG.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@TheGrat1 said:
    @uugieboogie said:
    @thorthunder98 said:

He did not use lightning against the Destroyer, Hulk in the helicarrier, Kurse, Iron Legion bots, Ultron bots in the ship and Thanos in endgame.

Why would he use lightning in enclosed spaces where it could damage the hellicarrier or others around him. He did use lightning on Ultron bots. He used a tornado on the Destroyer he didn't need lightning. Kurse didn't really give him a chance to use lightning, he hadn't unlocked his lightning powers without Mjolnir yet and Kurse got rid of Mjolnir from the equation and still when Thor called Mjolnir it was lightning charged and Kuse batted it away.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorthunder98:

I was not trying to rationalize why he did not use lightning in those battles, simply refuting uugieboogie's statement that Thor has used it in "every fight" he has been in.

Rijehu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No he’s just a terrible fighter, seriously he never used lightning once against Thanos

Thor’s strength/durability wasn’t nerfed at all actually. People just overestimated his IW durability. His strength wasn’t nerfed either because of you add 100 pounds of fat onto someone who can lift thousands of tons (Thor) the extra weight is negligible and almost irrelevant.

Honestly I think he was just a stupid drunk

Thor will always be in whatever condition people need him to be in, in order to justify the fact that he was not nearly as overpowered or "Thanos one-shot" capable as they wanted him to be.

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Yeah...the FRACTION that were remaining. That's exactly what I said.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0b495e7009f
    deactivated-5d0b495e7009f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan said:

He jobbed.

Logically, he's slightly below his prime self. Not to the degree CV want to make it out to be though.

@amcu said:

Joker567892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Joker567892

Yes, I'm pretty sure the Russos confirmed it themselves

"Q: Why Iron Man has to be the one to do the final snap, couldn’t the people like Thor, Star-Lord or Captain Marvel whom all previously have handled the power of Infinity Stones done it instead?

A: Thor in this movie couldn’t do it, only Hulk was strong enough to do the snap without dying. We are still not sure whether Captain Marvel can also withstand all the power of Infinity Stones at once. The reason we choose to let Iron Man do it in the end was because he was the closest one to Thanos at the time. In all the futures Doctor Strange foresee, Iron Man was the only one who could get close to Thanos and do the snap. People usually think the death of a hero is a horrible tragedy. But we think this is different. When his death was able to bring back hope, to save half of the universe, then his death was powerful and meaningful. We shouldn’t feel too sad or angry about it."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bgr.com/2019/04/30/avengers-endgame-ending-russo-brothers-on-captain-america-iron-man/amp/

They explicitly said Thor "in this movie" couldn't wield the gauntlet suggesting that Thor in Infinity War possibly could have, which likely means Thor was nerfed.

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: lol...what? Asgard was an entire realm. A village is absolutely a fraction. Hela wiped out all of them except for a single ship, and then Thanos snapped away half of what remained. A fraction by definition.

You're either being intentionaaly inane or are really that stupid. W/e though.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paytience: Wrong it's a city with some mountain ranges. Hela defeated the army that's it and you dont know math if you think they wouldnt recover their numbers in such a small time

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.