Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

Thor's feat (Infinity War Spoilers) Discussion thread

• 99 results
    Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Devilmenworks

@atmexle: That is true and he probably was weaken from the fight, I also didn't know that Thanos's servants were weakening his legs either, I will look for that again when I see the movie next time.

However this is one of my issues with that. When Superman and Zod fought in MoS, their collateral damage ended destroying a large portion of the city. Same as when Clark fought the other Kryptonians, a large portion of the town was destroyed. If Thor fought fought with all his might,(and is strong as Superman or stronger due to the neutron star scene) that smaller ship should have been destroyed. There was damage and their was evidence of a battle but a being as powerful as Superman fighting another equal powerful being would have destroyed that ship entirely.

The reason I ,mention this is because strength and durability usually go hand in hand, If you can survive the energy output of a neutron star, then you would normally have tremendous strength as well. Thor showed a boost in his stats but not too much greater than anything he displayed in Ragnarok . If you take that scene away from the movie, he isn't that much different from end of movie Thor Ragnarok. That is why I feel like the Neutron Star is an outlier.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a heavt outlier. Russos don't care about power levels and in none of the Thor movies have Thor ever shown 1/10000000th of the durability reaquired to perform something like this. It's a dismissable outlier.

Definitely Thor. I'd love to see Russos portraying Thor like the high-tier powerhouse he is with intensity instead of a drunk man with a hammer like Whedon did. Link

Well that was an intense scene... LOL

Worldofthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Worldofthunder

@asgaard: Hehehehe, I did get my wish with the Wakanda battle, but they took it too far with star level durability. And don't sit here and act like it's not an outlier. The feat Thor performed is something even 616 Thor would struggle with, if not outright fail.

Also, what are you trying to to by posting something I said from another thread?

*EDIT* Nevermind

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an outlier, but still extremely cool

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

I don't know what they were thinking when they made Thor this broken in terms of durability...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
    deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Hehehehe, I did get my wish with the Wakanda battle, but they took it too far with star level durability. And don't sit here and act like it's not an outlier. The feat Thor performed is something even 616 Thor would struggle with, if not outright fail.

Also, what are you trying to to by posting something I said from another thread?

*EDIT* Nevermind

umm Thor's had conversations inside stars before and he already resisted the gravity of a neutrons tar

No Caption Provided

Don't lowball

Worldofthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_kingoflatveria: What are you on about? He's clearly struggling on that scan. Even then that's classic Thor. Thor's consistent feats from modern times isn't all neutron star level feats.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
    deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_kingoflatveria: What are you on about? He's clearly struggling on that scan. Even then that's classic Thor. Thor's consistent feats from modern times isn't all neutron star level feats.

MCU Thor had time to brace himself his comic counterpart didn't. Big difference. Classic Thor is Modern Thorm Classic Thor just abuses his Hax more.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor not only took that much power but with his new Hammer he managed to overpower the Infinity Gauntlet. He is extremely OP.

theredhood44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the tiny guy who is now giant guy said

“Full force of a neutron star, plus it melted uru metal (or something more powerful then that) and Thor tanked it. So yea

HATSoffMELO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
    FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He didn't tank the entire energy output of the star, since the star was still there, but he certainly took enough to KO a planet imo

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
    deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MCU Thor is not planetary, nor he is Star level lmfao, but he is most certainly above DCEU Supermans energy durability (nuke). Thors feat is more impressive and for good reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's what the dwarf said so yes

Wakel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Exactly, the dwarf said it, why would he lie? People just need to accept it.

Rijehu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The narrative says it happened, so it happened. The exact specifics are still debatable, but it is impressive none the less. It seems like MCU Thor and DCEU Supes are getting power ups every film now. Thor being able to survive the energy of stars and Supes being confirmed planetary level in power and all this is crazy.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, and it doesn't matter how many salty fanboys try to dismiss it. And are we seriously using the term "outlier" for live action characters?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 rogueshadow  Moderator

Cliifford Johnson is a professor of physics at USC and a Marvel movies science-advisor, here's what he had to say:

"One of the really fun things that's going on in contemporary, real physics research is that there is very exotic phases of matter that can occur in the universe in extreme situations. One of the extreme situations is when you have a lot of gravity that allows you to compress that matter into a very, very compact, dense form. And a lot of gravity is available when you have, for example, the interior of a star. So, well-known, exotic place is the core of what's called a neutron star. So much of the matter, imagine having as much matter as our sun, which is a huge object or even more, but compress that down to the size of let's say, Manhattan, New York City. That is incredibly dense, the matter inside takes on a very, very different form. It takes on very, very different properties.

And one of the early conjectures from the Marvel Universe and you see a little bit of it in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as well, is the idea that maybe material like that is where Thor's hammer gets some of its incredible density. Now, we know that Thor's hammer has gone away and it is replaced in Infinity War with a new weapon and so what you get is a little bit of a taste, a closer look at how such weapons are manufactured. And that is sort of a fun thing because you can then speculate about whether the properties of those instruments are just from the physics of those exotic materials that you find in the cores of stars or whether they are just holders, 'channelers' if you will like of Thor's inherent ability. And I think we learn a little bit from "Thor: Ragnarok" that the power is really in him and the hammer is really more of a channel. And I think the skill then, that these dwarfs have, is how to build weapons that are the best possible channels for the inherent power that our hero has. And so, the new device, the new hammer, Stormbreaker is presumably even better design than Mjölnir had to channel Thor's abilities."

Thought it was worth adding. Make of it what you will.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
    deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angeljax said:

Thor knocked himself out in the Sokovia explosion (his own attack) and now can withstand the combined radiation and heat of a start for prolonged periods?

Stop the wank. Cap stomps him.

lmao. Thank you for the laugh.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-61a1b6940ec47
    deactivated-61a1b6940ec47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

diydeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asguardian air sacks lol

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
    TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angeljax said:

Thor knocked himself out in the Sokovia explosion (his own attack) and now can withstand the combined radiation and heat of a start for prolonged periods?

Stop the wank. Cap stomps him.

That's a strawman and irrelevant to discussion. Being stomped by Cap is nothing to be ashamed of.

Crunch5481

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you think that Thor was hit with the full power of a neutron star?

Why or why not?

yes, it was clearly stated. If anything it is even more impressive than most give the feat credit for, because all of the energy from that star was being condensed and focused through a relatively narrow scope.

@amcu said:

Yes. It was clearly stated and it is what the filmmakers where trying to portray.

Man, people are so adamant about dismissing the fear when it’s clear as day

“Oh Thor could never take this”

“Outlier”

“This statement was obviously wrong”

Is it really that hard to accept the feat as it is?

@gaoron said:

He took full power of a small dying neutron star. Replace it with our Sun and Thor would be dead in split second.

This feat is more impressive than tanking any nuke tho.

He didn't tank the entire energy output of the star, since the star was still there, but he certainly took enough to KO a planet imo

@jayc1324 said:

That's what the dwarf said so yes

No Caption Provided

As the image says, how can Thor be hit with the full force of a star if that beam is the only thing that hit him and you can clearly see the rest of the star lit up with solar energy? By definition "full force of a star" would literally mean the full output of the star but as you can see that little beam on the side is not the full output of the star. Also this isn't any normal Neutron Star, this star is only about 0.79km in diameter, whereas in real-life a Neutron Star would be ~20 kilometers in diameter. Therefore, even if it was the full energy output of this particular star, which it isn't, it still wouldn't be close to full energy output of a real Neutron Star.

In case you're wondering how I figured the beam to be ~24feet. thick, I used Thor as a scale through a series of images of the scene.

No Caption Provided

You can figure out by the above image that the beam is the size of the ring pointed at by the red arrows below, and from there you can scale the size from Thor who stands at 6ft. 3inches, but isn't standing up straight in the image so I used an estimation of about 6ft.

No Caption Provided

Worldofthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor obviously has star level durability, and by that I mean durability to tank a solar system busting power for multiple minutes straight as he CLEARLY tanked the full force of a star. Duh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people argue with explicit statements from credible characters in the movie. Delusional.

Crunch5481

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Why do people argue with explicit statements from credible characters in the movie. Delusional.

Why do people ignore explicit on-screen evidence that directly contradicts believed to be "credible" characters in a movie? Delusional.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crunch5481: None of that is on screen evidence though, you literally just made up some numbers. Nothing you said makes sense. Force does not equal energy. No one said the energy of the star would be depleted, you made that up and equated that to taking the full force. You did that. That's your made up definition and it is nonsense to expect the movie to bend itself to your definitions of things it never agreed to.

And the Russos are not incompetent, they would not directly contradict themselves on screen... any contradiction you think you've found is simply you misunderstanding what they are trying to portray with a weak strawman.

Tenguswordsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most likely yes.

Crunch5481

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@crunch5481: None of that is on screen evidence though, you literally just made up some numbers. Nothing you said makes sense. Force does not equal energy. No one said the energy of the star would be depleted, you made that up and equated that to taking the full force. You did that. That's your made up definition and it is nonsense to expect the movie to bend itself to your definitions of things it never agreed to.

And the Russos are not incompetent, they would not directly contradict themselves on screen... any contradiction you think you've found is simply you misunderstanding what they are trying to portray with a weak strawman.

"None of that is on screen evidence though, you literally just made up some numbers."

Yes it is on-screen evidence and no I did not make up numbers. Thor played by Chris Hemsworth, is 6ft 3 inches. Using his body as a scale I estimated the ring size in that image. I rounded the height to 6ft because he isn't standing up straight in the image. Using this scale which should be plenty accurate for estimation purposes, the ring size came out to be about 24ft. The beam width perfectly matched a ring and that was the ring it appeared to be, but upon closer inspection I think it is now actually the next ring out which would be about 50ft wide.

From there you can use the long-shot of the whole forge like I did, to compare the beam width to the width of the whole star. Which comes out to be about 108 beam widths. Now you can take that 108 and multiply it by 50 feet and you'll get 1.65 kilometers (5400ft). That is so much smaller than what the star needs for it to be classified as a Neutron Star that even if I was off by a factor of 10, and the beam width was actually 500ft. (which it obviously isn't) the star would still only be 16.5 kilometers, while a real Neutron Star star is about 20 km.

This isn't making up numbers, it's called measuring. Measuring exactly what is on-screen. Thus, making it: on-screen evidence, and your statement blatantly false.

"Nothing you said makes sense. Force does not equal energy. No one said the energy of the star would be depleted, you made that up and equated that to taking the full force. "

Force doesn't equal energy, in the literal sense but in Etri's statement that was the connotation. I also didn't say the star had to be depleted. My underlying point is that the statement "the full force of a star" is meaningless, it's literally just something Etri said as a hyperbolic statement to dissuade Thor from getting in the beam. It's just a statement. But even with the fact that it means nothing, people still try to take it literally. I've seen people straight up take the full output in energy of a Neutron Star and say that Thor tanked all of that. Which is just utter nonsense. Not only is what Etri said, just hyperbolic and meaningless, but you can see on-screen that the Star is outputting energy in all directions while Thor is only in the beam, so by definition he can't be taking the full energy. THEN on top of all that, these people are taking numbers for a Neutron Star in real-life while I just proved just how different this Star in Infinity War is from a real-life Neutron Star and therefore, it would be disingenuous to apply the same properties here.

"And the Russos are not incompetent, they would not directly contradict themselves on screen"

Well they did because I already proved that star is far too small to be comparable to a real-life Neutron Star.

"any contradiction you think you've found is simply you misunderstanding what they are trying to portray with a weak strawman."

A weak strawman? I measured the diameter of the star to more than within 1km of accuracy and you call that a weak strawman? I use on-screen evidence to measure out distances so that us fans can have a more accurate interpretation of feats and you don't like the outcome so you call it a weak strawman. You just don't want to accept the fact that this feat isn't all you've hoped it to be. You're literally telling me that any contradiction is just a misunderstanding? How does that make any sense, my scaling works perfectly fine for the purposes of proving this star is not comparable to a Neutron Star. There is no misunderstanding. You're just unhappy that someone is challenging this feat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bae6e10f11f4
    deactivated-5bae6e10f11f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mere fact that people scrambled to try and debunk and downplay this so fast is enough for me to know it’s totally legit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mere fact that people scrambled to try and debunk and downplay this so fast is enough for me to know it’s totally legit

Stage3Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:
    @variant06 said:

DrPepperMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if it wasn't the FFoAS, it's still large mountain level based off deforming uru which no sold Sokovia.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
    deactivated-5bf470b432518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@jayc1324 said:
    @variant06 said:

karanrasquinha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanforever: so what? He did take the star force for a few minutes didnt he?

Also dont account for temperature

Then wasn't the statement legit?

Avatar image for supermanforever
    Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanforever: so what? He did take the star force for a few minutes didnt he?

Also dont account for temperature

Then wasn't the statement legit?

No he took a small beam from a forge that helps to melt the URU. force of a star can be supernova level.

Statments are legit bullcrap. If we go by statments. dceu superman is stronger than a planet. Madara Uchiha is universal with casual swing of his sword.

Statments are crap deal with it.

macleen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor took the heat of an old neutron star, full force is just statement from a character that contradicts himself.

karanrasquinha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for supermanforever
    Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanforever: wasn't it a neutron star tho?

you know neutron stars are powerfull just few years after its birth right? Neutron star is first ho as its born then cools down ridiculously fast due to rapid release of neutrinos. The star literaly cools down from as much sa trillons of kelvins in the core as much as 1,5 milion kelvin in just few years.

Now im not disagreeing that the feat is ridiculous. He atleasts tanks probably half a megaton energy there and around milion kelvin heat. It is quite impressive. But saying star level? common thats a stretch, specially when thor has been by less consistently.

karanrasquinha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

"None of that is on screen evidence though, you literally just made up some numbers."

Yes it is on-screen evidence and no I did not make up numbers. Thor played by Chris Hemsworth, is 6ft 3 inches. Using his body as a scale I estimated the ring size in that image. I rounded the height to 6ft because he isn't standing up straight in the image. Using this scale which should be plenty accurate for estimation purposes, the ring size came out to be about 24ft. The beam width perfectly matched a ring and that was the ring it appeared to be, but upon closer inspection I think it is now actually the next ring out which would be about 50ft wide.

From there you can use the long-shot of the whole forge like I did, to compare the beam width to the width of the whole star. Which comes out to be about 108 beam widths. Now you can take that 108 and multiply it by 50 feet and you'll get 1.65 kilometers (5400ft). That is so much smaller than what the star needs for it to be classified as a Neutron Star that even if I was off by a factor of 10, and the beam width was actually 500ft. (which it obviously isn't) the star would still only be 16.5 kilometers, while a real Neutron Star star is about 20 km.

This isn't making up numbers, it's called measuring. Measuring exactly what is on-screen. Thus, making it: on-screen evidence, and your statement blatantly false.

"Nothing you said makes sense. Force does not equal energy. No one said the energy of the star would be depleted, you made that up and equated that to taking the full force. "

Force doesn't equal energy, in the literal sense but in Etri's statement that was the connotation. I also didn't say the star had to be depleted. My underlying point is that the statement "the full force of a star" is meaningless, it's literally just something Etri said as a hyperbolic statement to dissuade Thor from getting in the beam. It's just a statement. But even with the fact that it means nothing, people still try to take it literally. I've seen people straight up take the full output in energy of a Neutron Star and say that Thor tanked all of that. Which is just utter nonsense. Not only is what Etri said, just hyperbolic and meaningless, but you can see on-screen that the Star is outputting energy in all directions while Thor is only in the beam, so by definition he can't be taking the full energy. THEN on top of all that, these people are taking numbers for a Neutron Star in real-life while I just proved just how different this Star in Infinity War is from a real-life Neutron Star and therefore, it would be disingenuous to apply the same properties here.

"And the Russos are not incompetent, they would not directly contradict themselves on screen"

Well they did because I already proved that star is far too small to be comparable to a real-life Neutron Star.

"any contradiction you think you've found is simply you misunderstanding what they are trying to portray with a weak strawman."

A weak strawman? I measured the diameter of the star to more than within 1km of accuracy and you call that a weak strawman? I use on-screen evidence to measure out distances so that us fans can have a more accurate interpretation of feats and you don't like the outcome so you call it a weak strawman. You just don't want to accept the fact that this feat isn't all you've hoped it to be. You're literally telling me that any contradiction is just a misunderstanding? How does that make any sense, my scaling works perfectly fine for the purposes of proving this star is not comparable to a Neutron Star. There is no misunderstanding. You're just unhappy that someone is challenging this feat.

Wait a minute. I still don't see how 16.5 km and 20 km affect the feat lol. Maybe it could have been a smaller neutron star?

Even if he didn't tank the entire output, didn't he tank at least half the total output of the star since most of it was concentrated in that beam?

Crunch5481

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crunch5481 said:
    @jayc1324 said:

Wait a minute. I still don't see how 16.5 km and 20 km affect the feat lol. Maybe it could have been a smaller neutron star?

Even if he didn't tank the entire output, didn't he tank at least half the total output of the star since most of it was concentrated in that beam?

"Wait a minute. I still don't see how 16.5 km and 20 km affect the feat lol."

You missed the part where I said the star was 1.65 kilometers. Not 16.5 km. 16.5 km was if you made the star ten times bigger, which it is not. On top of that, the 4 km difference is still significant, that's 20% smaller a notable difference in science.

"Now you can take that 108 and multiply it by 50 feet and you'll get 1.65 kilometers (5400ft). That is so much smaller than what the star needs for it to be classified as a Neutron Star" This is what I said. 1.65km.

"Even if he didn't tank the entire output, didn't he tank at least half the total output of the star since most of it was concentrated in that beam?"

No Caption Provided

No. You tell me. Does that little beam on the side look like half the energy output of that star? Not even close. (it should read 50ft thick) This means Thor was nearly killed and suffered extreme burns from a significantly smaller star (1.6km<<<<<<20km) than is commonly claimed, and only from a very small portion of it's energy (just look at it, come on).

BalancedTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was barely wall level. Didn’t even damage the metal around him

Overwanked feat

Avatar image for deactivated-5e14500e3bd2c
    deactivated-5e14500e3bd2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BalancedTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Essem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

jaakor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's said right there on screen, haters are pathetic

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still legit

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.