Thor's durability in Sokovia explained

• 97 results
Posted by Cyttorakvas (133 posts) 1 year, 8 months ago

Poll: Thor's durability in Sokovia explained (89 votes)

That's not impressive, Superman is still better 33%
About equal with Superman 21%
Far surpasses Superman 46%

According to the film's SFX Supervisor, ILM's Ben Snow, Sokovia city was approximately 2km wide.

To start with, the city does not exist. “We filmed in several locations in Italy and the UK to cover the ground portions that happened in the street, so that gave us a lot of raw material for the design. But it ended up being one of our largest digital matte painting creations. We had this 2 kilometer expanse of city that we had to build as a digital matte painting, plus the ground that it is sitting on top of, plus the engines that are driving it, complete with the pipes and the infrastructure under the ground with bits of earth falling off it. To get it right we studied landslide footage, building demolition and earthquake footage.”

“So, we had to not only build it as digital matte asset but also lift it out of the ground with the edge of it breaking away and the buildings crumbling like they were in an earthquake. It became a very elaborate process. Our traditional pipeline had been aimed more at single building destruction, like at the end of the Transformers movie. Here we were destroying whole sections of the city. So, we basically built on our pipeline so we could turn a digital matte asset into a generalist asset made in 3DS Max, then we took it through our rigid simulation system and sent it back for rendering in the generalist pipeline.”

https://nerdist.com/the-physics-behind-age-of-ultrons-earth-shaking-ending/

For simplicity’s sake, let’s guess that Sokovia is at sea level and that Ultron captures one kilometer (0.6 miles) of the city around the church in the center in the lifting process. When the city is lifted, it looks nearly like a half-sphere of Earth. That half-sphere would be two cubic kilometers of dirt and rock.

And if all that soil and rock beneath the city has a density between that of soil and crust, then the total mass of Ultron’s makeshift asteroid would be around four trillion kilograms. That’s about the same mass as all the food the world produces each year.

In the film, Ultron is able to half-execute his plan by dropping the city (with the help of some thrusters we’ll ignore) at altitude before The Avengers vaporize it. According to a line Captain America delivers at about the same time the key on the lifting device is turned, “the air was getting a little thin.” If we guesstimate they were getting to a height where altitude sickness could set in, Sokovia was around 2,400 meters up when it started to fall.

A free-fall from this height (ignoring air resistance) would impart100,000 trillion Joules of energy to the surface where the rest of Sokovia sat. Because science communication dictates that I compare this to a nuclear blast, this amount of energy is about half that of the largest nuclear bomb ever tested, Tsar Bomba.

Thor was able to withstand 200,000 trillion Joules of energy when it exploded. While a 50-megaton impact is a gargantuan amount of energy, it’s not an extinction-level event. For example, humanity has witnessed 40 Ultron-level explosions of this magnitude since we've been around.

#51 Posted by CocaColaMan (1750 posts) - - Show Bio

I don’t see what there is to explain. Sokovia was a city, Thor survived its destruction, therefore Thor can survive a city busting attack. It’s that simple.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9
#52 Edited by deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9 (8670 posts) - - Show Bio

@cocacolaman: nova grad was a 2km landmass with very weak structural integrity. Not even close to a city

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2cf537b4a1c
#53 Posted by deactivated-5d2cf537b4a1c (3506 posts) - - Show Bio

@cocacolaman: nova grad was a 2km landmass with very weak structural integrity. Not even close to a city

City-busting is surface busting a city, not much power required compared to this.

#54 Posted by Mr_Shazam0920 (6044 posts) - - Show Bio
#55 Edited by Hermur (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Taking the full force of a neutron star is the winner.

Domsday was in the epicenter of the nuke. Superman was behind him and therefore slightly shielded.

In my opinion Superman is more invunarable and Thor is more durable.

#56 Edited by Strike3 (844 posts) - - Show Bio

@hermur said:Taking the full force of a neutron star is the winner.

Domsday was in the epicenter of the nuke. Superman was behind him and therefore slightly shielded.

In my opinion Superman is more invunarable and Thor is more durable.

?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d01cd4d1eb4b
#57 Posted by deactivated-5d01cd4d1eb4b (2650 posts) - - Show Bio

@sexybayonetta22: kinda like superman?

To be honest yes. Dude all high tier heroes are that powerful. Even in comics Thor is powerful as plot demands him to be.

Do u remember moments where even Jane Foster was kicking Odin's ass ?

#58 Posted by incursion2 (2586 posts) - - Show Bio

@incursion2 said:

@sexybayonetta22: kinda like superman?

To be honest yes. Dude all high tier heroes are that powerful. Even in comics Thor is powerful as plot demands him to be.

Do u remember moments where even Jane Foster was kicking Odin's ass ?

Yeah that was some garbage Lol, you make a good point.

#59 Posted by del_torro (3946 posts) - - Show Bio

Is current comic Odin depowered, he got beat up by Thor, almost lost to 3 elves, was hiding in fear from Mangog and Needs armor from Tony stark to be useful in a fight

#60 Posted by deactivated-5d01cd4d1eb4b (2650 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr_shazam0920: Lot of heavy hitters in comics and live action are plot dependent.

Live Action: CW Flash ( it's obvious ), pre S3 Supergirl ( ok it happens sometimes she jobs but not really that much anymore ), CW Martian ( due to his uncomprehendable telepathy ) Thor, Hulk, Wonder Woman, Flash from dceu, CW Steel ( beast in s2 but now a mega jobber ) and Firestorm ( absorbs nuke or bulletproof and malcolm shot is too much or transmutes planet busting bomb or traits damien and nora power as a joke or himself is a nuke but sucked recently in s3. CW Arsenal and Spartan ( a little ).

#61 Posted by EmmaFrostXmen (4263 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this a joke?

Sokovia didn’t explode, it fell apart, and the only form of heat that coul have hurt Thor was his own lightning (which he wasn’t hurt by). Sokovia just knocked him away as opposed to Superman who was weakened and in the center of the nuke

#62 Posted by MethoKi (12592 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would anyone bump this?

#63 Posted by EcoBlitz (6155 posts) - - Show Bio

@emmafrostxmen: So Sokovia didn’t explode? Like despite the movie showing an explosion?

But Superman was weakened (despite recovering from kryptonite much longer than he did against Batman, and was at the epicenter despite being behind energy absorbing doomsday? Aii.

#64 Posted by EmmaFrostXmen (4263 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecoblitz: Lol lowball, he didn’t use Doomsday as a sheild, and he was still hit with the full force of a nuke unless stated Doomsday protected him

I recall the city falling apart, and the explosion effect was just from Thor’s lightning, which shouldn’t hurt him. Tony said the city would be vaporized, not that the city would explode

#65 Edited by JohnnyZ256 (6608 posts) - - Show Bio

OP, perhaps you could now explain why this is in Battles.

#66 Posted by Johndeyvido (420 posts) - - Show Bio

Dceu fanboys can't just stand Supes being outdone in any category.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2cf537b4a1c
#67 Edited by deactivated-5d2cf537b4a1c (3506 posts) - - Show Bio

@del_torro said:

Is current comic Odin depowered, he got beat up by Thor, almost lost to 3 elves, was hiding in fear from Mangog and Needs armor from Tony stark to be useful in a fight

He acknowledged that he isn't as powerful as he used to be. And he was pretty damn powerful.

No Caption Provided

#68 Edited by FlashFyr (1370 posts) - - Show Bio

How in the world is the neutron star feat better- The core of an aged neutron star is a maximum of 1.8 million fahrenheit, while the epicenter of a nuke can go up to 150 million. In terms of force, there's no way in hell a beam of superheated gas exerts more force than 1.2 million tons of TNT.

#69 Posted by EcoBlitz (6155 posts) - - Show Bio

@emmafrostxmen: What’s the lowball? Never said he did. Doomsday was in front of him, by default is shielding him from the nuke that hit doomsday who again can absorb energy.

The city was held together by a gravitational field, it was not falling apart. How can you accuse me of low balling then say the city was falling apart when Thor clearly busted it and tanked the resulting explosion.

So thor’s Lightning now can explode things? You DCEU fans need to sort your stuff out, first he hit stuff on the outrider ships that made them explode, now his lightning explodes stuff randomly... Aii bruh LoL.

#70 Posted by tethadam (1418 posts) - - Show Bio

@del_torro: Can you post this armor that Odin had from tony stark?

#71 Posted by EmmaFrostXmen (4263 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecoblitz: I’m not a DCEU fan, and I like the MCU far more than the DCEU, therefore technically you calling me a fanboy is bad logic because I should be partial to the MCU, but I have common sense and know that DCEU characters are usually stronger than MCU characters

#72 Posted by del_torro (3946 posts) - - Show Bio

@tethdam:

Here's the link

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/gZkS5Fuv7Jv1EJcG7tPAl1mpVGqCaT05qla5NcGwPVPur8VkR9zECw-Pg0LvvxLNJPuuuuw0Wfmth53t923zeLghqEcCzt9mr9BVJgveTj9hTK19hQeT0yHzHqkNme0YfNZ_cL_pJQ=s1600

You know, with Odin getting beaten bloody by Thor, almost dying to 5 dark elves and needing stark armor to fight Dark elves.

Jane Thors fight with him starts to look less absurd. He was obviously weakened by then.

#73 Posted by EcoBlitz (6155 posts) - - Show Bio

@emmafrostxmen: your reply didn’t even address any point I made. Good job

#74 Posted by Bayman007 (2850 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just another heat feat for Supers to take in his stride

#75 Posted by Supermanthor (22700 posts) - - Show Bio
#76 Posted by EmmaFrostXmen (4263 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecoblitz: Lol I didn’t care about the other stuff you said because it was laughably wrong. Unless it was shown Doomsday absorbed the energy and prevented it from hitting Superman then it didn’t happen.

#77 Posted by EcoBlitz (6155 posts) - - Show Bio

@emmafrostxmen: so doomsday being in front of Superman is laughable wrong?

Doomsday being able to absorb energy is also wrong?

#78 Posted by BalancedTruth (1451 posts) - - Show Bio

It’s not impressive at all

#79 Edited by pkety (335 posts) - - Show Bio

I just rewatched the clip on YouTube like 5 times. It’s more powerful than a nuke since I doubt a nuke would cause a landmass albeit a very unstable landmass fall apart like that. Yet tanking the explosion the explosion was very spread apart. I believe Thor tanked about as much as iron man did since nothing on screen shows Thor getting hit by anything other than his own lighting. Nukes are more destructive when in a small area like where supes was. The nuke is more concentrated.

I’m gonna try my best to put it into perspective. Sokovia is a rock. Thor and IM shattering it is like smacking it with a mallet and it breaking.A nuke is like a small single hit firecracker. It can bust some of the top of the rock off but aside from burning the top of the rock, the firecracker wouldn’t do much. A mallet hitting the rock would have much more energy transferred than a firecracker, but the two are completely different kinds of energy. IMO having a firecracker going off in your hand is much more painful than having a mallet hit a rock with your hand under it, and will probably do different kinds of damage. I’m not counting the lightning in Sokovia since Thor isn’t affected by that.

#80 Posted by DivineVisitor (332 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecoblitz:

Superman got hit in the face by that nuke he wasn't hiding behind Doomsday,the whole top part of his body is exposed. His suit also completely no sells it and sustains no damage.

Imo the Sokovia explosion is a good feat but it appears to me the explosion eminated from the inside the landmass and moves outward, Thor didn't tank the centre of the blast from what I could see. There was alot of rock and debris that would have absorbed most of it.

Also Sokovia was only being held together because of the technology Ultron was using. When Thor and Iron Man broke the core it destroyed what was keeping the whole landmass together. That together with the resulting discharge of energy has vaporised/scattered the landmass. Would a nuke in the centre of that floating landmass which is no longer being held together have the same result? Quite possible I'd say.

#81 Posted by MattyBoi (2854 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, that feat alone surpasses anything supes has survived

Also dont bring up the nuke feat cuz supes basically died and was revived by the sun, and thor's star feat makes it look pathetic

Avatar image for panda_emperorix
#82 Posted by panda_emperorix (4237 posts) - - Show Bio

Dceu fanboys make me laugh

Thor has superior durability and strength compared to Clark

The feats speak for themselves

#83 Posted by EmmaFrostXmen (4263 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecoblitz: Sorry I should have explained what part was laughably wromg. Unless it was stated, or shown that the nukes energy was going into Doomsday then he didn’t absorb the energy, and your just grasping at straws

#84 Posted by JefferydeDucke (682 posts) - - Show Bio

@balancedtruth: for you, dceu Batman would survive being in the Epi centre because superman slapped him right?

#85 Posted by deactivated-5d01cd4d1eb4b (2650 posts) - - Show Bio

Another bait to start MCU vs DCEU fanwars

#86 Posted by BalancedTruth (1451 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing Thor done or will ever do can compare to the nuke

#87 Posted by Noone1996 (13055 posts) - - Show Bio

A nuke in space lol.

#88 Posted by Rijehu (2149 posts) - - Show Bio

@flashfyr said:

How in the world is the neutron star feat better- The core of an aged neutron star is a maximum of 1.8 million fahrenheit, while the epicenter of a nuke can go up to 150 million. In terms of force, there's no way in hell a beam of superheated gas exerts more force than 1.2 million tons of TNT.

There is actually an entire thread dedicated to this.

#89 Edited by FlashFyr (1370 posts) - - Show Bio

@noone1996: The vacuum doesn't matter if there's matter that can get heated up. The only reason nukes aren't "hot" in space is because there's no air molecules to vibrate and get hot. That's why the sun is hot but space isn't - the sun is made of molecules. Superman's molecules can still get heated.

#90 Posted by Noone1996 (13055 posts) - - Show Bio

@flashfyr: An explosion cannot properly expand or propagate in a thinner atmosphere. A city leveling explosion would become far less in space.

#91 Posted by FlashFyr (1370 posts) - - Show Bio

@noone1996: Unless there's other matter the force / radiation (which will turn into heat) can transfer to. In this case, it's Supes and DD.

#92 Posted by Gaoron (10089 posts) - - Show Bio

Feat is an outlier and never happened to begin with, Thor's a fodder and Superman's a god. Deal with it fanboys!

And yes this feat is more impressive than the nuke but shh don't tell anybody I sided with MCU instead of our lord and savior Superman.

#93 Posted by Noone1996 (13055 posts) - - Show Bio

@flashfyr: So tiny bodies being near a nuke in no atmosphere would be enough to somehow propagate the explosion properly by themselves? That makes no sense at all.

#94 Edited by FlashFyr (1370 posts) - - Show Bio

@noone1996: Not the whole explosion (as in they soak every ton of force) but they're still taking the same amount of heat and force they would in an atmosphere. There's nothing stopping their bodies from getting force transferred into it, which is the same reason I don't need any surrounding air to punch someone. The rest of the explosion just stops. But the radiation actually would have heated them past 150m since heat capacity is determined by the specific molecule, and 150m was the range tested with air.

#95 Posted by Noone1996 (13055 posts) - - Show Bio

@flashfyr: I agree that it's still got the same potency, heat, and radiation of a normal nuke without an atmosphere, but without that expansion it amounts to far less than what a regular nuke could destroy on Earth. Nukes are city busters on Earth since they can properly propagate and expand, but if it cannot do that in space then the size is much smaller and wouldn't be the equivalent of city busting level.

#96 Posted by Richubs (7506 posts) - - Show Bio

It's irrelevant becuase it'd be inconsistent.

#97 Posted by incursion2 (2586 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't what see what there is to debate Thor tanked the explosion that destroyed that part of sokovia. Simple as that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.