Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

Thor's durability in Sokovia explained

• 97 results
    Cyttorakvas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Thor's durability in Sokovia explained (106 votes)

That's not impressive, Superman is still better 30%
    About equal with Superman 21%
    Far surpasses Superman 49%

According to the film's SFX Supervisor, ILM's Ben Snow, Sokovia city was approximately 2km wide.

To start with, the city does not exist. “We filmed in several locations in Italy and the UK to cover the ground portions that happened in the street, so that gave us a lot of raw material for the design. But it ended up being one of our largest digital matte painting creations. We had this 2 kilometer expanse of city that we had to build as a digital matte painting, plus the ground that it is sitting on top of, plus the engines that are driving it, complete with the pipes and the infrastructure under the ground with bits of earth falling off it. To get it right we studied landslide footage, building demolition and earthquake footage.”

“So, we had to not only build it as digital matte asset but also lift it out of the ground with the edge of it breaking away and the buildings crumbling like they were in an earthquake. It became a very elaborate process. Our traditional pipeline had been aimed more at single building destruction, like at the end of the Transformers movie. Here we were destroying whole sections of the city. So, we basically built on our pipeline so we could turn a digital matte asset into a generalist asset made in 3DS Max, then we took it through our rigid simulation system and sent it back for rendering in the generalist pipeline.”

https://nerdist.com/the-physics-behind-age-of-ultrons-earth-shaking-ending/

For simplicity’s sake, let’s guess that Sokovia is at sea level and that Ultron captures one kilometer (0.6 miles) of the city around the church in the center in the lifting process. When the city is lifted, it looks nearly like a half-sphere of Earth. That half-sphere would be two cubic kilometers of dirt and rock.

And if all that soil and rock beneath the city has a density between that of soil and crust, then the total mass of Ultron’s makeshift asteroid would be around four trillion kilograms. That’s about the same mass as all the food the world produces each year.

In the film, Ultron is able to half-execute his plan by dropping the city (with the help of some thrusters we’ll ignore) at altitude before The Avengers vaporize it. According to a line Captain America delivers at about the same time the key on the lifting device is turned, “the air was getting a little thin.” If we guesstimate they were getting to a height where altitude sickness could set in, Sokovia was around 2,400 meters up when it started to fall.

A free-fall from this height (ignoring air resistance) would impart100,000 trillion Joules of energy to the surface where the rest of Sokovia sat. Because science communication dictates that I compare this to a nuclear blast, this amount of energy is about half that of the largest nuclear bomb ever tested, Tsar Bomba.

Thor was able to withstand 200,000 trillion Joules of energy when it exploded. While a 50-megaton impact is a gargantuan amount of energy, it’s not an extinction-level event. For example, humanity has witnessed 40 Ultron-level explosions of this magnitude since we've been around.

• 
    Chaos239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was at one portion, unlike Supes who was at the epicentre.

Cyttorakvas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaos239 said:

He was at one portion, unlike Supes who was at the epicentre.

Sokovia exploded on his face.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ace9ec1d0243
    deactivated-5ace9ec1d0243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you quoted something that you don't understand, at all.Image result for superman laughing\

Chaos239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, he was at the top of the landmass which exploded from the centre outwards.

Worldofthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Worldofthunder

The power went into the city, not against Thor so he didn't take all that power unlike Superman who was actually at the very center of a nuke detonation while he weakened.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
    MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

The power was Thors lightning anyway why would his own lightning harm him

Besides didn't Ironman survive the explosion to I guess he must be just as durable and since he survived and got punked by Cap....

Cap punches harder than 200,000 trillion joules confirmed

The_Fub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Fub

These three of these people above me are dead wrong. Iron Man's statements (get the atomic action doubling back) is the statement proof, then there's an actual still of the image showing Sokovia's explosion epicenter was at the top of the city and travled downward, I have the image (I'm on my phone ATM). This low-balling misconception that Thor only tanked a small portion of the blast needs to stop. Iron Man was the one that got the very tail end of the explosion.

Go ahead, debate me on the subject, let's see you ignore in movie statements and visual proof. Good way to weed out the bias.

Cyttorakvas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The power was Thors lightning anyway why would his own lightning harm him

Besides didn't Ironman survive the explosion to I guess he must be just as durable and since he survived and got punked by Cap....

Cap punches harder than 200,000 trillion joules confirmed

Iron Man was pushed from the explosion, directly beneath Sokovia, whereas Thor was at the epicenter, having caused the explosion himself. Completely different.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_fub said:

These three of these people above me are dead wrong. Iron Man's statements (get the atomic action doubling back) is the statement proof, then there's an actual still of the image showing Sokovia's explosion epicenter was at the top of the city and travled downward, I have the image (I'm on my phone ATM). This low-balling misconception that Thor only tanked a small portion of the blast needs to stop. Iron Man was the one that got the very tail end of the explosion.

Go ahead, debate me on the subject, let's see you ignore in movie statements and visual proof. Good way to weed out the bias.

While you are right about that part, the sokovia explosion was in no way at the level of half the tsar bomba.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
    deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you quoted something that you don't understand, at all.\

Lmao

ProjeTwoPntOh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

40+ kilotons is not causing any extinction level event.

Regardless, what Thor tanked was much worse.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Royal_Warrior

@frankthetank40: seriously? Your saying the Tsar bomb can vaporise a landmass that big? How can you be saying I've lost credibility when your saying a nuke can vaporise a 2k wide landmass ???

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The explosion itself wasn't an extinction level event in the air. If the landmass hit the ground at that speed, it would be. The explosion thor tanked would be nothing compared to the impact when it hits the ground.

The_Fub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Fub

@frankthetank40: Perhaps not. But do you by chance know the depth in which a bomb the magnitude of the TSAR bomb would penetrate? I know the mushroom cloud is like, 3 times the height of mount Everest, but nukes usually don't obliterate solid rock as well as they level man and man made structure.

I mean, the yellow there (although I don't know for sure what the colors mean) is just radiation I'd imagine.

Cyttorakvas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's kind of what I said... proving that you didn't even read it.

ProjeTwoPntOh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@projetwopntoh said:

I wasn't responding to you,..

Cyttorakvas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cyttorakvas

@projetwopntoh said:
    @cyttorakvas said:
    @projetwopntoh said:

So get off my thread and stop derailing it and filling it with unnecessary comments, especially when we know that you didn't even read it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@royal_warrior said:

@frankthetank40: seriously? Your saying the Tsar bomb can vaporise a landmass that big? How can you be saying I've lost credibility when your saying a nuke can vaporise a 2k wide landmass ???

Lmao, you clearly don't know how explosions work.

Let us take a look at what 50 megatons would look like.

No Caption Provided

This absolutely dwarfs the sokovia explosion.

ProjeTwoPntOh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ProjeTwoPntOh

@cyttorakvas said:
    @projetwopntoh said:
    @cyttorakvas said:
    @projetwopntoh said:

So get off my thread and stop derailing it and filling it with unnecessary comments, especially when we know that you didn't even read it.

How.... am I derailing it? Are you seriously this sensitive when I'm stating the nerdist or the sfx don't have a clue what an extinction level event is?

Jesus, it seems I stepped on your precious toes even when there was no intent to.

Might need to check your panties.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frankthetank40: so your basically saying blast radius equates to vaporisation?

You do realise the reason the radius is larger is because it can't get through the ground so it expanded a outwards

A nuke couldn't even destroy a 100m cubed asteroid let alone 2km

It's amusing how much you don't understand in this matter

ProjeTwoPntOh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously, I'm like reiterating what you're saying in my post, and yet I'm derailing?

Are you this dense? Or are you so hung up on this MCU/DCEU thing you don't even know who is agreeing with you?

ProjeTwoPntOh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@royal_warrior said:

Lmao, you clearly don't know how explosions work.

Let us take a look at what 50 megatons would look like.

No Caption Provided

This absolutely dwarfs the sokovia explosion.

Lol AOE. This kid serious?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_fub said:

@frankthetank40: Perhaps not. But do you by chance know the depth in which a bomb the magnitude of the TSAR bomb would penetrate? I know the mushroom cloud is like, 3 times the height of mount Everest, but nukes usually don't obliterate solid rock as well as they level man and man made structure.

I mean, the yellow there (although I don't know for sure what the colors mean) is just radiation I'd imagine.

They can create craters 100s of feet deep, all the way down into bedrock in some cases. These two explosions would be completely different. The sokovia explosion wouldn't be packing 150,000,000 degree heat with it.

Cyttorakvas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cyttorakvas

@projetwopntoh said:

Seriously, I'm like reiterating what you're saying in my post, and yet I'm derailing?

Are you this dense? Or are you so hung up on this MCU/DCEU thing you don't even know who is agreeing with you?

The original post states that it was a 50 megaton-level explosion, whereas you argued that it was only a 40 megaton-level explosion. Completely different. The 40 megaton-level is from a post in a completely different thread, which demonstrates that you never even took the opportunity to read the original post in this thread. Therefore, you are intentionally derailing it and you are offended that somebody has called you out for your otherwise dissenting intentions.

ProjeTwoPntOh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ProjeTwoPntOh

Also, your "precious thread" is not a battle (you know, the forum being titled "battles"). So apparently you can't read.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@projetwopntoh don't get me started with you. You said an explosion that encompassed a 2km land mass would be equal 11 billion tons of tnt.

ProjeTwoPntOh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@projetwopntoh don't get me started with you. You said an explosion that encompassed a 2km land mass would be equal 11 billion tons of tnt.

No, in fact I did not. But do keep thinking you know exactly what I said.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You said it was equal to 50 gigatons at first, and then changed it to 11 gigatons. Do you realize how ridiculous this is?

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
    FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The power went into the city, not against Thor so he didn't take all that power unlike Superman who was actually at the very center of a nuke detonation while he weakened.

Exactly, this is always what it comes down to.

ProjeTwoPntOh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@projetwopntoh said:

You said it was equal to 50 gigatons at first, and then changed it to 11 gigatons. Do you realize how ridiculous this is?

Let's pay attention to the order of your inanity.

"You said an explosion that encompassed a 2km land mass would be equal 11 billion tons of tnt."

No, I did not say that because I never gave the value if it was by the sfx statement. Because a 1km destruction of that landmass would be 30 megatons. No way in hell is another kilometers adding over 366 times more energy. I said (if you learn to pay attention) that:

"There's a calc that puts the feat at 11 gigatons"

The calc I'm referring to did their own scaling and did not take the statement of an sfx director (since so many statements get thrown around that are fallacious)

But go on frank, don't deflect your idiocy onto me. lol thought that AOE = destruction. And trying to tell someone else they don't know how explosions function. The irony.

Cyttorakvas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@worldofthunder said:

Exactly, this is always what it comes down to.

This is wrong:

No Caption Provided

As you can see, the explosion started from where Thor was and went outwards.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@projetwopntoh: Seems like the word "vaporize" confuses you. The entire city wasn't vaporized, or else there wouldn't be tons of debris falling into an ocean everywhere.

The_Fub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frankthetank40: That's just a statement. It packs some serious heat to vaporize everything it did. It was a combination of heat and force that obliterated the city.

Eh I'll do some research about it sometime (regarding the nukes) but your statement actually sounded familiar so I'll take you word for it. Plus, you shouldn't have any reason to lie haha.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_fub said:

@frankthetank40: That's just a statement. It packs some serious heat to vaporize everything it did. It was a combination of heat and force that obliterated the city.

Eh I'll do some research about it sometime (regarding the nukes) but your statement actually sounded familiar so I'll take you word for it. Plus, you shouldn't have any reason to lie haha.

A nuke would vaporize the top of the city as well. The bottom is another story, but the nuke would not fail at vaporizing every single structure on the landmass.

ProjeTwoPntOh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@projetwopntoh: Seems like the word "vaporize" confuses you. The entire city wasn't vaporized, or else there wouldn't be tons of debris falling into an ocean everywhere.

What are you going on about now?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
    deactivated-5a89ca5697052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This feat is still better than Supermans nuke feat.

The explosion almost vaporized the whole town/city and Thor was at the center of the explosion.

ProjeTwoPntOh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The explosion almost vaporized the whole town/city and Thor was at the center of the explosion.

Wrong. Nuclear experts have put this explosion at 200 kilotons, while superman's bomb is at 475 kilotons.

BobLeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol.

Cyttorakvas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ithemanwithoutfeari said:

Wrong. Nuclear experts have put this explosion at 200 kilotons, while superman's bomb is at 475 kilotons.

Wrong.

1. The writer's stated that a Tsar Bomba could potentially kill Superman. The bomb in Batman v Superman could not have possibly been more powerful than this. This means that Superman's durability clocks out at 50,000 Kilotons.
    2. Thor was able to survive this level of an explosion and he was only knocked out, but he was fine directly afterward.
    Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyttorakvas: This explosion is nowhere near the 50 megaton range. You actually aren’t serious, are you?

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It far surpasses Superman but it's a huge outlier.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e14500e3bd2c
    deactivated-5e14500e3bd2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it still an outlier

Avatar image for deactivated-5d07416730d08
    deactivated-5d07416730d08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor's Neutron Star feat still exceeds that.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The guy who OP quoted starts out okay but then goes on to ridiculous levels of wrong.

TonyStark6999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor's Neutron Star feat still exceeds that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d01cd4d1eb4b
    deactivated-5d01cd4d1eb4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is as durable as plot requires him to be

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-6098713be0993
    deactivated-6098713be0993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jefferydeducke: Not after the neutron star feat, tanking power stone explosions when heavily injured and withstanding being tortured by the power stone, the same one that one-shot Carol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.