Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

James Gunn back to direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

• 67 results
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#51 SC  Moderator

@spambot said:

Makes Disney and Feige look weak imo. GotG2 was semi garbage imo so didn't really care whether or not they made a third one with or without Gunn. I think this is a bad look for them though.

I could see that take.

I could also see the viewpoint that it makes Disney look like a company that knows how to make money, and be manipulative in the best sense of the term under capitalism. The people who were and could of been unhappy about Gunn as a controversy back when have probably moved on, there isn't as much heat, emotion, hot headedness around the issues. Gunn was super apologetic. Now Marvel/Disney looks like they are giving him a second chance "they are willing to forgive" and there is also new context... Gunn got work at other movie studios. Marvel can deflect any new criticism off on to other studios on top of them also giving him a second chance, we believe in redemption yadda yadda. Would also explain why they didn't hire a new director. This might not actually be the case, and is all speculation... but

There are a lot of people who are just apathetic to such situations. Don't really care one way or another, so Disney has to consider above two viewpoints with the viewpoint a lot of people don't care or think about how this reflects on Disney and... thats probably the majority.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Disney/Marvel informally off the record told Gunn, Disney just needs to create distance, in a few months, everything will blow over, social media will move on, we'll get you back on Guardians and put a nice positive spin on everything for the media. I also wouldn't be surprised if any other number of scenarios were the actual case too mind you.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I bet Guardians 3 is integral to Disney's greater "Cosmic" phase 4 plans, and when they had problems finding a replacement director, I guess a decision had to be made. With everyone looking at "Aunt Becky" and the other academic bribery indictments, Gunn's old tweets seem less important.

No Caption Provided

I know one guy who's got to be excited by this new news.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
    deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I remembered seeing most people on here saying they were glad Gunn was fired, he's a weirdo, oh mah gah those tweets, etc. Amazing what a little time can do.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#54 SC  Moderator

I thought I remembered seeing most people on here saying they were glad Gunn was fired, he's a weirdo, oh mah gah those tweets, etc. Amazing what a little time can do.

Yeah I do as well... plus I remember some hardcore DCU exclusive fans trying to use that situation to negatively cast light on both Marvel and Gunn... and then Suicide Squad 2 details were announced... now the irony is going to be people who made hard stance tweets about Gunn or Marvel, or DC after that news broke... to today... I wonder if they will have to go back and delete those tweets...

Its why I never speak in absolutes on the internet and always try to give context with my posts. People can't really hold old posts you made against you if write so much they get bored and stop reading... wait what? oh, I make an exception for ice cream. Caramel, toffee, butterscotch, all those types of ice cream flavors >> vanilla, chocolate etc absolutely!

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope Dinsey payed him double for all the mess poor Gunn had to go through. If I was him I would spam my twitter with the most racist, pedophilic and overall untasteful jokes I can think of just to mess with SJWs. Screw them.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Kino's back on the menu bois.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#57  Edited By TDK_1997

I was more than a hundred percent sure that they would bring him back. The only reason they "fired" him at first was because they knew that if they don't take any action all the whiny feminists will complain and boycott the whole movie.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58 the_stegman  Moderator

Apparently he was never fired in the first place. Disney just had to put distance between them and him until the fox merger went through so they'll have less publicity on their hands. That's why they just so happened to reinstate him right after the deal went through. Don't know if that's clever or underhanded of Disney.

Avatar image for geraldofvengerberg
    Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@gaoron:

@tdk_1997 said:

I was more than a hundred percent sure that they would bring him back. The only reason they "fired" him at first was that they knew that if they don't take any action all the whiny feminists will complain and boycott the whole movie.

Lol, it was alt-righters and conservatives who dug up the Pedophilic joke post because they got triggered over his Anti Trump tweet. Former Republican Presidential candidate and Senator Ted Cruz threatened Disney with investigation which led to Disney panicking and firing him because it may complicate fox deal

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/398178-cruz-im-glad-disney-fired-james-gunn-over-horrible-tweets

They are all focused on boycotting Captain Marvel now so James Gunn is temporarily safe.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@the_stegman: They at least had not been looking for a replacement. So yeah pretty sure they thought they just wait and see if this was going to be still a big thing after their big deal went through, but that's nothing new really. If they dropped Gunn they could drop Guardians of the Galaxy in its entirety the third movie would be under the type of scrutiny a popcorn flick can't withstand simply because everyone would be like James Gunn could have done it better.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care unless gotg 3 comes close to or is better than gotg 1. I will never watch a Gunn film if he makes another Gotg 2 or worse

ZillaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am almost certain he was never fired to begin with, the whole thing was probably a big PR move.

Either way his job shouldn't even have been threatened in the first place.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, as long as nerds and billion dollar corporations are happy. That's all that really matters in life.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
    ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Good. Never shoulda been taken off the project. Maybe we're starting to dial back the power of disingenuous internet outrage

B-B-Bingo.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 anthp2000  Moderator

But isn't he a pedo though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.