Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

It's confirmed that only Hulk could do the snap without dying

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Erkan12

https://bgr.com/2019/04/30/avengers-endgame-ending-russo-brothers-on-captain-america-iron-man/

Q: Why Iron Man has to be the one to do the final snap, couldn't the people like Thor, Star-Lord or Captain Marvel whom all previously have handled the power of Infinity Stones done it instead?

A: Thor in this movie (Endgame) couldn't do it, only Hulk was strong enough to do the snap without dying. We are still not sure whether Captain Marvel can also withstand all the power of Infinity Stones at once. The reason we choose to let Iron Man do it in the end was because he was the closest one to Thanos at the time. In all the futures Doctor Strange foresee, Iron Man was the only one who could get close to Thanos and do the snap. People usually think the death of a hero is a horrible tragedy. But we think this is different. When his death was able to bring back hope, to save half of the universe, then his death was powerful and meaningful. We shouldn't feel too sad or angry about it.

''Only Hulk was strong enough to do the snap'',

Thor, only in this movie (Endgame) couldn't. it means IW Thor could do it, but EG Thor couldn't. So not only Tony confirmed that IW Thor > EG Thor, as well as Hulk > EG Thor, confirmed by Joe Russo.

Also it's interesting that they don't know even Captain Marvel could or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-6098713be0993
    deactivated-6098713be0993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

...You know I’ve been using this quote from the conference in China for months now, right? I’m pretty sure everyone knew this.

And no, it doesn’t confirm Hulk > EG Thor. Hulk even says in the movie he’s the most likely to survive because he’s the most resistant to gamma radiation. That’s it.

While I’m here, just wanted to say you might want to change around your Thanos respect thread. He never “easily” overpowered EG Thor. Every pure strength struggle they had, including the one you posted in that thread, had Thanos clearly struggling to push it downwards, and that’s when he had the leverage advantage.

CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn’t news, they already pretty show that in the movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
    deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing confirmed atm from both the movie and the statements is Hulk (due to gamma) and Thanos (due to being the most durable) are the only ones that can fully survive the snap with some damage anyone else is either more heavily crippled or straight up dead.

nwname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nwname  Moderator

This pretty much confirms than EG Thor was weaker right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nwgzsjuwhm96y2: @ccthor:

Tbh I think everyone keeps overlooking the point of the scene in terms of “power” it’s not that thor can’t use the gauntlet or snap even MK85 Iron Man could, it’s that no one knows if any of them can survive it which is likely no or at best looking like a one armed burn victim.

its literally the whole point Hulk makes his claim on due to the fact he can at least absorb some of brunt of the damage with his physiology.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Erkan12

@breakofdawn said:

...You know I’ve been using this quote from the conference in China for months now, right? I’m pretty sure everyone knew this.

And no, it doesn’t confirm Hulk > EG Thor. Hulk even says in the movie he’s the most likely to survive because he’s the most resistant to gamma radiation. That’s it.

While I’m here, just wanted to say you might want to change around your Thanos respect thread. He never “easily” overpowered EG Thor. Every pure strength struggle they had, including the one you posted in that thread, had Thanos clearly struggling to push it downwards, and that’s when he had the leverage advantage.

Russo simply says ''only Hulk is strong enough to do it'', again ; ''strong enough'' if it was related to gamma rays only then he would say that Hulk had a special immunity to that power, it's related to the power that Hulk has.

He even says Captain marvel may not do it, and we know Carol has gained her powers from Tessseract, if someone needs to be more durable to the infinity stones that must be Carol, but they don't know if she could do it.

Thanos one-shotted EG Thor with a headbutt when he used mjolnir's magical weight to pull Thanos's strength, and before that Thanos only hit EG Thor 4 times before Cap saved him with mjolnir. As far as I see that's easily. People say Thanos stomped Hulk, while Hulk even overpowered Thanos at the beginning and took 12 hits, EG Thor was even weaker than that, of course he easily overpowered EG Thor.

@finalkingthanos said:

The only thing confirmed atm from both the movie and the statements is Hulk (due to gamma) and Thanos (due to being the most durable) are the only ones that can fully survive the snap with some damage anyone else is either more heavily crippled or straight up dead.

I wouldn't say it's only because of gamma. Captain marvel already gained her powers from the space stone, she should be durable to the infinity stone energy as well. But Hulk is also as strong as Thanos, they are really close in terms of strength, the real gigantic difference was the skill, Thanos is like Bruce Lee in comparison with Hulk. So just like Thanos, Hulk is also powerful to survive it. Thanos is also a product of a mutation from planet Titan, we don't if it's like Hulk or not, but Thanos is mutated due to some kind of energy just like Hulk mutated.

Joe Russo: “I would say that he’s just that powerful,” Joe and Anthony Russo said. “You didn’t see him actively use the power stone in that fight. I think ultimately, the way we looked at that fight and the way talked about it with our stunt team when we were executing it was Hulk is obviously very powerful, but he’s a little mindless in his fighting style. It’s aggressive, it’s pummeling. Thanos is the Ghengis Kahn of the universe, he’s a very skilled fighter, equally as strong. So, when you put those two up against each other, the more skilled fighter is going to win ultimately.Which is why Hulk has a moment where he overpowers Thanos, but ultimately Thanos is smart.”

- Collider Interview November 30, 2018

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Erkan12

@nwgzsjuwhm96y2 said:

I would say yes, since he specifically says ''in this movie'', if it was another movie, like the Infinity War or Ragnarok, things would've been different. The guy survived the full force of a star in the IW after all, continent level energy shouldn't have been a problem for prime Thor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12: you put far to much emphasis on the way they worded one answer in an interview while ignoring the actual in movie statements, the gamma radiation matter a lot! And the real life reason was they want to use Thor and Carol in future movies and would rather they are still alive with both arms and faces Intact.

Again other statements have said Thanos is much stronger than the hulk and cant be beaten 1v1 by any hero etc which obv isn’t true so things need to be taken with more context.

(edit - plus the Thanos vs Hulk fight he isn’t smart at all he out right over powers him then beats him up lol)

Thor in any movie could use the gauntlet it’s just that he’ll be very badly burned and crippled or dead.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Erkan12

@finalkingthanos said:

@erkan12: you put far to much emphasis on the way they worded one answer in an interview while ignoring the actual in movie statements, the gamma radiation matter a lot! And the real life reason was they want to use Thor and Carol in future movies and would rather they are still alive with both arms and faces Intact.

Again other statements have said Thanos is much stronger than the hulk and cant be beaten 1v1 by any hero etc which obv isn’t true so things need to be taken with more context.

(edit - plus the Thanos vs Hulk fight he isn’t smart at all he out right over powers him then beats him up lol)

Thor in any movie could use the gauntlet it’s just that he’ll be very badly burned and crippled or dead.

Thanos is mutated too, as well as Carol, that doesn't make Hulk special than the rest. And they don't know if Carol could do it.

Please read it and tell me what you understand;

Joe Russo: “I would say that he’s just that powerful,” Joe and Anthony Russo said. “You didn’t see him actively use the power stone in that fight. I think ultimately, the way we looked at that fight and the way talked about it with our stunt team when we were executing it was Hulk is obviously very powerful, but he’s a little mindless in his fighting style. It’s aggressive, it’s pummeling. Thanos is the Ghengis Kahn of the universe, he’s a very skilled fighter, equally as strong. So, when you put those two up against each other, the more skilled fighter is going to win ultimately.Which is why Hulk has a moment where he overpowers Thanos, but ultimately Thanos is smart.”

- Collider Interview November 30, 2018

Thanos is stronger obviously, but that's because of gigantic skill advantage, otherwise Hulk couldn't overpower Thanos, and Russo wouldn't say ''the more skilled fighter is going to win''. This is why Hulk also could do the snap like Thanos did, because he is ''strong enough''. Thor could do it as well if he wasn't fat and out of form like Tony said.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nwname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nwname  Moderator

@erkan12 said:
    @nwgzsjuwhm96y2 said:

I would say yes, since he specifically says ''in this movie'', if it was another movie, like the Infinity War or Ragnarok, things would've been different. The guy survived the full force of a star in the IW after all, continent level energy shouldn't have been a problem for prime Thor.

1- Well, it was a reignited dead neutron star that turned white-hot. There is really no logical way to put the Nidavellir feat above ~91 kilotons.

2- Taking energy enough to "light up a continent" is 540 Gigawatts. Assuming its released just during the snap that should be a joke compared to 91 kilotons. He should be able to snap like 100 times with little to no damage and that doesn't really make sense to me. Assuming it (540 GW) is the passively channeled energy that shouldn't do more damage to prime Thor than at most giving him slight burns. So it actually fits in nicely with the Nidavellir feat if thats the case.

Continent Busting energy would kill everyone in MCU at the same time except Dormammu.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Erkan12

@finalkingthanos said:

@erkan12: OMG honestly what’s your issue with This!? how can you not understand Thor can do the snap but he would either die or be in very bad shape.

Again like I said one statement in one interview trust me there’s loads they keep changing there answers all the time for example -

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cinemablend.com/news/2403091/is-thanos-stronger-than-hulk-in-avengers-infinity-war-heres-what-the-russos-say

The thing you don't understand that Russo already confirmed;

''Thor in this movie (Endgame) couldn't do it''

It means EG Thor would die, just like Nano tech Ironman did. He confirmed it. There is no being ''in very bad shape'', EG Thor would certainly die.

As for Thanos and Hulk;

Do you know what ''stronger'' means? Bruce Lee is stronger than Chuck Norris, that doesn't mean Bruce Lee is physically stronger, and more durable than Chuck Norris as well, you either have problem with understanding the language or you're trolling. Nothing he says contradicts with that interview. Thanos is stronger than Hulk, because he is far more skilled than Hulk. That's also obvious because as Russo said, Hulk overpowers Thanos for a moment;

''Which is why Hulk has a moment where he overpowers Thanos''

The context of that fight is pretty understandable. Later Thanos kicks Hulk's ass because he is far more skilled.

As for the gauntlet, it has nothing to do with fighting skills, it requires pure durability stamina and strength to wield it. Hulk was able to do that because he has the physical strength and durability to do that just like Thanos, and then Hulk continue to fight in the war.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12: right so what’s the issue IW Thor would lose an arm if he's lucky do you feel better now?

Ehhh I think it’s you who doesn’t know what stronger means judging by that lol.

The context of the fight in screen is more evident than statements which constantly contradict - Hulk starts with a surprise attack and he’s strong enough to continue with the pressure and push Thanos back as soon as they cease into a grapple Thanos literally takes his arms off him easily and with superior strength and technique beats Hulk down with an Ebony Maw statement to back it up.

Again I don’t know why your stating the obvious about the gauntlet yet continue to cry about Thor all the time what you said further proves all the evidence given.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Erkan12

@finalkingthanos said:

@erkan12: right so what’s the issue IW Thor would lose an arm if he's lucky do you feel better now?

Ehhh I think it’s you who doesn’t know what stronger means judging by that lol.

The context of the fight in screen is more evident than statements which constantly contradict - Hulk starts with a surprise attack and he’s strong enough to continue with the pressure and push Thanos back as soon as they cease into a grapple Thanos literally takes his arms off him easily and with superior strength and technique beats Hulk down with an Ebony Maw statement to back it up.

Again I don’t know why your stating the obvious about the gauntlet yet continue to cry about Thor all the time what you said further proves all the evidence given.

Why would I feel better? That's what the director said, I don't care if Thor dies or not, I am just telling you what they say. Don't mistake me with yourself, even though Thanos is my favorite character I am not going to spread misinformation because of it.

So now you're denying what the director said? If he says Thanos and Hulk are pretty much on the same level in terms of physicality then they are. And as far as I see, that's what they showed us, all Thanos did was beating Hulk in close combat due to his H2H combat skills, not because of his raw power.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12: that’s my point he’s said loads of different answers but only one is obvious from the film.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
    MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should've been Thor and then given him a uru arm in the after credits scene

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Erkan12

@finalkingthanos: If only Thanos beat Hulk, like Supes beat Diana in a headbutt contest, or in a punching contest then I would say it's obvious that Thanos is physically stronger. Such as this;

No Caption Provided

But they didn't show us that. They showed us that how skilled Thanos really is in close combat and Hulk was outmatched against Thanos's skills.

So what the director said is true, the difference was the close combat skills, not the strength.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12: so tell me how do you explain Thanos over powering hulk in the grapple?

How do you explain the difference in punching power? On both Hulk and Thor and in comparison to each other?

It was both he’s superior to hulk and Thor in strength durability intelligence and skill that’s by design.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Erkan12

@finalkingthanos said:

@erkan12: so tell me how do you explain Thanos over powering hulk in the grapple?

How do you explain the difference in punching power? On both Hulk and Thor and in comparison to each other?

It was both he’s superior to hulk and Thor in strength durability intelligence and skill that’s by design.

If he didn't, Hulk would choke him to death. He needed to break his hold somehow, even if it requires extreme effort.

If Thanos was physically stronger, he would simply overpower Hulk without waiting Hulk's attacks to counter with his martial art, he would just steamroll him like Supes did to Diana. Instead Thanos was cautious and waited Hulk to attack and Hulk gives openings for him to exploit.

Seriously, why are we discussing the thing that what the director said? Even if Thanos is superior, it would be a small difference and that wasn't enough to overpower Hulk with his raw power alone, he needed the close combat skills. That's what the director said.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12: lol you are brutal ok man whatever suits your argument as usual just ignore all the facts.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Erkan12

@finalkingthanos said:

@erkan12: lol you are brutal ok man whatever suits your argument as usual just ignore all the facts.

:S You're ignoring the facts not me.

''Hulk is obviously very powerful, but he’s a little mindless in his fighting style. It’s aggressive, it’s pummeling. Thanos is the Ghengis Kahn of the universe, he’s a very skilled fighter, equally as strong. So, when you put those two up against each other, the more skilled fighter is going to win ultimately.Which is why Hulk has a moment where he overpowers Thanos, but ultimately Thanos is smart.”

This is what the guy said. Sorry, I know you like Thanos, I like him too, but it's the truth. Hulk is extremely powerful as well, he overpowered Thor, who is insanely strong, and punched Vibranium Ultron miles away, one-shotted a Chitauri Leviathan, staggered mountain size Surtur, shook the ground and created an earthquake. Hulk is no joke, it's not a bad thing to be close with this guy in terms physical strength. I would still ignore it if the director didn't say otherwise.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12: why do you keep sending the same quote there’s like 5-10 out there all saying similar and different things lol the movie is even more obvious about it.

I know Hulk is no joke he’s stronger and more durable than Thor.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should've been Thor and then given him a uru arm in the after credits scene

That would be nice. But as the director said EG Thor wouldn't just lose an arm, he would die just like Nano tech Ironman did.

IW Thor would survive it though,

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
    MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12: that really doesn't make any sense but ok

xzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems to strongly imply Fat Thor is weaker, though I believe I've read that this was a translation error. Curious as to if there is any validity to that statement. Anyone happen to know?

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rajjarsalt

None of you could survive

-Hulk, Ph.D in bullying the proud and princely sons of Asgard since Phase 1

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rajjarsalt

Talk about your one-year bumps.

Hulk still snapping despite Thor going back to his fit self effectively kills the Fat Thor theory

Avatar image for applekidthethird
    Applekidthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt: yet thor would still end up folding hulk in an actual all out fight

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By rajjarsalt

@applekidthethird said:

@rajjarsalt: yet thor would still end up folding hulk in an actual all out fight

Confirmed to be going all-out with his attack against Hulk in A1 was still losing

Got damaged way more than Hulk did in the gladiator match, also got KOed too

Only way he'd fold Hulk is with Stormbreaker since he can just slice and dice etc

Applekidthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt: he was winning the fight until he got his nerves wrecked by the obedience disk or whatever it was. If the fight continued, he would've been barbecuing hulk like a camp roast

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By rajjarsalt

@applekidthethird said:

@rajjarsalt: he was winning the fight until he got his nerves wrecked by the obedience disk or whatever it was. If the fight continued, he would've been barbecuing hulk like a camp roast

Yet Hulk was undamaged by the lightning and would have fought on

By this logic Abomination > Hulk too just cuz he managed to daze him

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cocacolaman  Moderator

Hulk had specific advantages so I don’t take it as the end all be all

Avatar image for deactivated-61a1b6940ec47
    deactivated-61a1b6940ec47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thor can’t survive the snap. Get over it. Stop trying to wank characters with other characters feats

Applekidthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Applekidthethird

@rajjarsalt: there was a clear difference in what happened between hulk and abomination vs what happened between hulk and thor. Thor was fighting a friend so he was holding back more than the hulk. After he started using his lightning he punched him with lightning so hard that hulk had to do a double take after being hit just once. After the lightning boost, thor had a very clear advantage in both speed and had the ability to attack long range. Narratively, he was gonna win the fight. It was also implied by the movie that he was gonna win the fight, with grandmaster having to take thor out so that hulk wouldn't get wrecked.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 takenstew22  Moderator

It was also because he had gamma energy.

zXone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was also because he had gamma energy.

Which makes him more durable.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.