Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

Is anyone else worried about Spider-man Homecoming?

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BappyRonChantin

So far I have bit of a mixed feelings with the way things are moving forward with the new spider-man franchise. I loved Tom Holland's performance in civil war. Marysa Tomei didn't completely sell me as Aunt May, but I didn't dislike her. The director, John Watts, while haven't heard much about him, I heard cop car was good. Keaton being included as the villain is also promising.

What worries me is this movie is being written by the Vacation duo. I haven't seen that movie but from the trailers it looked bad. Reviews don't suggest otherwise either. It makes me worried, unless someone is overseeing their work. Kevin Feige supervising the project isn't completely reassuring either. Bad writers tend to include too much of what the producers ask just to keep them happy, which in this case- the humor. Nobody wants an spider-man similar to the one in ultimate spider-man show as far as I'm concerned. After Spider-man finally included in the MCU I don't want the Amazing Spider-man fiasco happening all over again.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ZariusII

I take it on a wait-and-see basis. I'm as fed up with quips in the MCU as a lot of people are, but quips are Spidey's speciality so it should fit the mood of this film better than it has others.

SpideyJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SpideyJJ

I choose to remain cautiously optimistic. Feige and Marvel know how much is riding on Spidey having a great solo in the MCU, so you know they're gonna want to put their best effort into this.

But like yourself, I'm seriously worried about the writing duo

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey has yet to be reintroduced into modern day culture and times without being cyclical nor has been reinvented to match the mindset of current social media with kids and young adults, Batman and Avengers do a better job being more hip and now than a superhero whos thing is supposed to be hip and now for teenagers. So I'm skeptical, because Peter Parker is a cyclical story about Peter being a underdog with personal relatable problems that in it's own establishment a generic standard for any coming of age hero story, Spidey needs to set a new trend and break out of the usual formula that keeps him a status quo symbol over 60 years or Deadpool of all people will replace him as the new image of change in Marvel comics.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind seeing them try to really reinvent the character to some degree which prob won't happen since they are deliberately going for a younger Spiderman. idk what they could really do with the character other than what we've already seen from him on the big screen other than 'this guy looks younger and is in the mcu'. I would like to see a new angle as far as how the story progresses other than a close friend of his becoming the villain. Find a new way to expose him to danger and develop a story.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Eh, I'm not worried.

And Vacation was a funny comedy. Don't get why people are always out to crucify it.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

As long as they don't give us another origins movie then I'm not worried. We've seen the origins already in the previous 2 versions of the Spider-Man films, we don't need to revisit his origins. Give the audience some credit in that we actually know how the story goes. We don't need to see Uncle Ben being killed. I want the film to spent less time on the origins and to focus on the story itself.

BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BappyRonChantin
    @jimishim12 said:

Spidey has yet to be reintroduced into modern day culture and times without being cyclical nor has been reinvented to match the mindset of current social media with kids and young adults, Batman and Avengers do a better job being more hip and now than a superhero whos thing is supposed to be hip and now for teenagers. So I'm skeptical, because Peter Parker is a cyclical story about Peter being a underdog with personal relatable problems that in it's own establishment a generic standard for any coming of age hero story, Spidey needs to set a new trend and break out of the usual formula that keeps him a status quo symbol over 60 years or Deadpool of all people will replace him as the new image of change in Marvel comics.

They kinda did try to modernize the character in Amazing Spider-man, apparently it didn't work very well. I don't think the character needs much changing to be accepted by modern day audience, just let him walk in the modern world, use modern tech, wear modern clothes and talk about modern day issues. No need to add gimmicks like skateboarding or make villains wear mecha-suits. Marvel has a good history of modernizing their characters in MCU so this is not something I'm worried about.

@human_rocket said:

As long as they don't give us another origins movie then I'm not worried. We've seen the origins already in the previous 2 versions of the Spider-Man films, we don't need to revisit his origins. Give the audience some credit in that we actually know how the story goes. We don't need to see Uncle Ben being killed. I want the film to spent less time on the origins and to focus on the story itself.

Showing his origin in the new movie was out of question from the start, but this single creative decision is not gonna make the entire writing better.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It really does feel wrong wanting to shtup Aunt May.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As with most MCU properties I remain cautiously optimistic. I think Antman was the one film I thought would flop, but it was great. But I never try to buy into the hype.

jamaicangoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Holland was alright as Spider-Man. Aunt May was okay too, but I don't remember much about her actual performance because my attention was... elsewhere. I don't think you can really go wrong with those two and Keaton.

Like you, I'm just worried about the Vacation writers. If the movie's not that great, then I won't take it that badly since I already have a (mostly) solid Spider-Man trilogy.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

@dernman said:

It really does feel wrong wanting to shtup Aunt May.

lol

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...what to say to not to cry ?

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im worried that the person playing spidey wont be able to play peter right

we are gonna want some emotion and character development

i just dont feel he will deliver on this in his performance

MarcusAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not worried at all. I feel like Marvel knows they can't mess up the Spidey solo.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you ever known me to be nervous?

-THOR 2011

BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BappyRonChantin
    @arkhamwrath said:

...what to say to not to cry ?

Is it some trending quote I'm not aware of?

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By PeterParkerJr

Yes, very.

I worry about the writing, and I worry about the humor, the excessiveness of it, and how it will probably undercut any tension or emotion in the movie. Especially when Spider-Man fights.

Hollygrove20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still waiting for a Spider-Man movie with Morlun as the villain. Sorry not sorry.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as they don't try to tie every villain's origin into Peter's I'm not to worried.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dbb657abdb5
    deactivated-57dbb657abdb5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just gonna' keep an open-mind and hope for the best.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still waiting for a Spider-Man movie with Morlun as the villain. Sorry not sorry.

that will be awhile. morlun deals with the mythology of the spiders and stuff like that. you had a better chance of that with the sony version of spidey. they were dealing with that.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By christianrapper

why are people worried about the humor in a spiderman movie? that is his thing. he makes jokes as spidey. i don't get it.

swt_decadent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like him in Civil War, but I'm not exited for homecoming. Most of the cast look like 12 years old. Anyway, I trust Marvel so I will probably ended up watching it and I'll probably get exited once I see some of the other cast from MCU movie (aside from Tony).

DanMercer32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very worried I know it's Marvel Studios but the expectations for this movie are extremely high ever since Civil War. Keeping positive though.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not worried at all. I am excited for this movie. I think it is going to surprise quite a few people.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm not into it honesty.

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MainJP

Can't say I'm worried...I'll just wait and see.

@swt_decadent said:

Most of the cast look like 12 years old.

Nah, they look like what they're supposed to be...teens.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do have the feeling that Sony Pictures is going to screw it up. Maybe the first movie will be okay, but wasn't there rumours that Sony is going to distance the future movies from the MCU?

Sony is probably the worst major studio right now in Hollywood. Anything they do, I don't really trust to be quality. I wish they would just sell off their movie division and just focus on Playstation because it is the only part of Sony worth a damn anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks awful.

BlindingLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not really worried. Even if it's not great, I doubt it will be bad.

KingCrimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trailers haven't grabbed me at all. I've loved Spidey since I was young, usually get mega hyped for any MCU movie, but I'm not for this one which worries me.

Keaton might be its saving grace.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's going to be great. The cast alone guarantees it.

Kundelar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Kundelar

I do like Vulture, but despite the fact he hasn't been in the MCU yet the character already seems stale. He basically is a Falcon/DocOc hybrid (referring to his suit look) and I think the movie would be better served by someone REALLY original like Kraven or Mysterio. Imagine a Spidey movie with one of them?

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only hope it's good.

FangDaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Bump :)

Combatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Combatt

spidey got nerfed

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By THORSON

it was a fine film. i didn't mind it. mcu always makes things different makes no sense to rage over tiny things

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why people are so mad about characters being nerfed as long as captain America isn't more powerful than Thor who cares about the power levels of one character I would rather have a good movie then really powerful characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.