Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

How should have the Trinity fought to beat Thanos?

Misterpollas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Was the Trinity nerfed? Did they fight silly?

No Caption Provided

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
    MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor laughably didnt use ranged Lightning attacks

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thor fights like a moron to fit the plot.

Cramem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CRIPPLE FIGHT!!

Loading Video...

The_Gaurdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smartly. The bolts Thor hit Hela with would've been a major game changer as evidenced by how he reacted to worthy Cap. Add in flight (which he didn't even try and use) and Thor could've soloed

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you ever heard the term armchair quarterback?

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
    deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could have spammed him more from a distance but nothing except Stormbreaker would do any lasting damage.

Let’s face it the crazier moves the “Trinity” fight with the better the directors would have made Thanos tank and destroy them.

They wanted to show he's above them even as a team.

Personally I enjoyed the fight all 3 Heroes have been great through the mcu and this was the finale of that first era against there greatest opponent.

Killermovies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor could've soloed if he didn't fight like an idiot. He literally outranges Thanos with lightning his flight and Stormbreaker

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos is just that good. CV needs to accept it lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@incursion2: yep any changes to make the heroes better they would have simply done the same to Thanos.

Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor could've soloed if he didn't fight like an idiot. He literally outranges Thanos with lightning his flight and Stormbreaker

Exactly. Besides lightning range attacks, Thor could have created a tornado to lift Thanos and knock him . Then thrown Mjolnir on Thanos preventing him from getting back up.

Off topic, but Dr Strange could have soloed a gemless Thanos since he him his own against a 4 gem Thanos in IW. Thanos is tough but nowhere near as tough as the rumors made him out to be.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devilmenworks: bloodlust Wanda and Strange are the only two you could give a big majority to over Thanos but they still have the glass cannon problem.

There’s not another hero that could solo armour and blade Thanos in a proper fight, Carol probably has the best shot but I think fresh with his sword he would take her atm.

Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finalkingthanos: I agree those two do have a glass cannon problem. And I don't quite agree about no other hero could solo Thanos. Not saying it would be easy but if Thor used his powers correctly and in a smart way he could beat Thanos. By her feats, Carol should be able to as well.

And even not bloodlusted, Scarlet Witch and Dr. Strange should still be able to easily defeat Thanos. Dr. Strange casually teleported Loki for 30 minutes in Ragnarok. Dr. Strange in IW also teleported all of the citizens from that particular area (when they were fighting Cull and Ebony Maw) . He also has his mirror dimension that he could have used on Thanos as well. Scarlet Witch threw those Thrashers (100 ton spiked destroying vehicles) in the Infinity War when she wasn't bloodlusted. The key thing about these 2 glass cannons (and glass cannons in general) is as long as they are smart with their powers and stay a good distance away they can easily defeat a lot of opponents.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devilmenworks: but Thor won’t it’s not how he fights he’s essential in anyway to kill Thanos though do to Stormbreaker.

Dr Strange I agree with but Wanda is all over the place powerwise depending on her emotional state she has struggled with less but also shown she’s absolute top tier it’s 50/50.

Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Devilmenworks

@finalkingthanos: Yeah I can agree with Wanda's powers all over the place due to her emotional state. When she really focuses, is bloodlusted or trying to protect someone she is nearly unstoppable. But if she is surprised or loses her focus, she is barely Captain America level. I am hoping within time Wanda learns how to harness and focus her powers in a consistent way.

Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Agreed. Personally I feel the entire original Avengers should have been the one to fight Thanos. I wish Hulk could have brought Black Widow back so that all 6 of them could have fought Thanos since the were the first heroes to stand up to him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da4168075532
    deactivated-5da4168075532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Agreed. Personally I feel the entire original Avengers should have been the one to fight Thanos. I wish Hulk could have brought Black Widow back so that all 6 of them could have fought Thanos since the were the first heroes to stand up to him.

Yeah Black Widow shooting Thanos with her pistol. It would have been greatest scene in CBM movie history.

Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devilmenworks said:

ready 4 madness Agreed. Personally I feel the entire original Avengers should have been the one to fight Thanos. I wish Hulk could have brought Black Widow back so that all 6 of them could have fought Thanos since the were the first heroes to stand up to him.

Yeah Black Widow shooting Thanos with her pistol. It would have been greatest scene in CBM movie history.

Absolutely! Because Black Widow doesn't know how to use explosives or be a distraction. I can imagine the scene now. Black Widow fires her guns, pew pew pew. Thanos is weaken enough from her attack for the Avengers to finally beat him. After Thanos is defeated, Dr. Strange opens a portal for the NY cops to arrest him and he goes to jail. Iron Man doesn't need to snap and everyone lives happily ever after.

theblackfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tell ya hwut, it did irk me that Tony initiated the fight - with all at his disposal, with more to fear and lose, this time - by making a nano-blade and swooping in to get up close and slashy. Oy.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cocacolaman  Moderator

If people fought the way Viners have them do on the Battle Forums, Thor would have soloed every battle he was in. It’s called plot.

DreadBringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelanddcfan24 said:

Thor laughably didnt use ranged Lightning attacks

Well, Thor replaces ranged lightning attack with Mjolnir throw, he actually did that as his first attack here, look closely.

Thanos can also throw his sword as ranged attack. People forget that Thanos also have ranged option. Also Iron Man had flight but it's only useful to escape, in IW Iron Man scratches Thanos by fighting him head on. Scarlet Witch and Carol also didn't utilize their flight to attack Thanos.

Thanos in comics can fly, one of the nerfs.

How would the likes of Black Widow and Hawkeye survive Thanos' attacks though (bloodlusted)? Thanos' attack only hits Cap's shield pre-Mjolnir and he's the quickest to take out from fight. Cap after Mjolnir has Thor physical stats.

If people fought the way Viners have them do on the Battle Forums, Thor would have soloed every battle he was in. It’s called plot.

Like dropping Mjolnir on him? That's easier said than done and also people's tendency to treat the opponent as training dummy who never reacts to attack.

Smartly. The bolts Thor hit Hela with would've been a major game changer as evidenced by how he reacted to worthy Cap. Add in flight (which he didn't even try and use) and Thor could've soloed

Yet he reacted better to Stormbreaker's lightning on IW, he was pushed back but recovers fast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6fWfoax5bU

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would not have mattered how they fought. He was just way more powerful than them. Thanos also knew that he was way more powerful than them. People are underestimating how freaking raw it was that he just sat there and waited for them. He didn’t fear them in the least.

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nn5

Only Thor was slightly jobbing and was weaker than in IW. Actually the plan of hitting Thanos with amped IM repulsors and then Mjolnir (and then Thor would move on with SB probably) was good but they underestimated Thanos and he powered through the blast too quickly. If he didn't have his sword to deflect it, he would be fazed for sure as this combo attack was better than any of Thor's lighting (besides probably Sokovia and the biggest one in Ragnarok) - just two of such IM repulsor blasts can damage Leviathan badly (scaling from Rescue) and there were 8 blasts.

So probably answer is they should keep more distance in that scene as Thanos wouldn't get to IM that quickly then. Also Thor should have used more lighting but he usually throws one or two big bolts during a battle/fight and he used it to amp IM. Lighting may be harder to block with sword than repulsor blast (even if the latter has more energy) but I'm not sure. Lighting cloak would be a good distraction though.

Another option is for Thor to disarm Thanos as he did and then he would have decent chance of winning if he had IM as a distraction.

But generally, reason why they lost was that Thor was weakened, especially too slow and not agile, maybe his lighting powers were slightly weaker too.

DreadBringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nn5 said:

Only Thor was slightly jobbing and was weaker than in IW. Actually the plan of hitting Thanos with amped IM repulsors and then Mjolnir (and then Thor would move on with SB probably) was good but they underestimated Thanos and he powered through the blast too quickly. If he didn't have his sword to deflect it, he would be fazed for sure as this combo attack was better than any of Thor's lighting (besides probably Sokovia and the biggest one in Ragnarok) - just two of such IM repulsor blasts can damage Leviathan badly (scaling from Rescue) and there were 8 blasts.

So probably answer is they should keep more distance in that scene as Thanos wouldn't get to IM that quickly then. Also Thor should have used more lighting but he usually throws one or two big bolts during a battle/fight and he used it to amp IM. Lighting may be harder to block with sword than repulsor blast (even if the latter has more energy) but I'm not sure. Lighting cloak would be a good distraction though.

Another option is for Thor to disarm Thanos as he did and then he would have decent chance of winning if he had IM as a distraction.

But generally, reason why they lost was that Thor was weakened, especially too slow and not agile, maybe his lighting powers were slightly weaker too.

Iirc Thanos had good distance to IM, but Thanos wasn't only deflecting the blades, but also walked and closing his distance to IM.

Thor was dodging the Thanos sword throw exact same way as he did to Hulk's airplane throw in Avengers 1 btw so he's not that slow and not agile.

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dreadbringer:

Agree the distance was decent. I only meant that if it was larger, then Thanos probably wouldn't be able to push through IM blasts that quickly.

Thor hasn't lost speed and agility completely but he was intended to be overall physically weaker (at least it was implied that his durability is weaker so this should translate to the rest IMO). And apart from that one instance when he avoids the sword, he does fight less competently, for example doesn't use lighting cloak which he used in IW to blow Outrider ships (and that would surely be useful against Thanos at least as a distraction).

DreadBringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nn5 said:

@dreadbringer:

Agree the distance was decent. I only meant that if it was larger, then Thanos probably wouldn't be able to push through IM blasts that quickly.

Thor hasn't lost speed and agility completely but he was intended to be overall physically weaker (at least it was implied that his durability is weaker so this should translate to the rest IMO). And apart from that one instance when he avoids the sword, he does fight less competently, for example doesn't use lighting cloak which he used in IW to blow Outrider ships (and that would surely be useful against Thanos at least as a distraction).

His durability being weaker? How? Being fat shouldn't reduce durability I think especially for Asgardian. It's just (bloodlusted) Thanos' hits being strong enough to injure Thor. He's someone that KOed Hulk in 13 hits (probably the one serious fight he done in IW). Thor is also completely injured in even worse way than he did at Endgame in the beginning of IW. If you're bringing up their Infinity War confrontation (again like everyone), Thor is completely untouched there, he only sneak attacked Thanos with Stormbreaker beam, then countered Thanos' beam by....throwing Stormbreaker at it (again, no trace of Thanos' attack touched Thor at all); Stormbreaker doesn't increase durability from what I know.

Well, I think the bolded one's the actual problem of Thor fighting in Endgame rather than fat (which Odin and Volstagg also have); his mental state (e.g. his Reality Stone 'explanation').

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dreadbringer:

About Thor's nerfed durability I'm bringing up the fact that they heavily implied this when it came to decide who should wear the IG. Overall he was too much implied to be weaker, basically got stomped by Thanos and I just don't see Thanos stomping IW Thor (I think they would be depicted as more or less equal in-universe).

I agree, Thor sneak attacled Thanos in IW. It's basically only due to Stormbreaker as you said. I think Thor would get vaporized if he didn't counter the blast with SB (Thanos looked serious in that scene and using blast from all stones shows he at the very least wanted to KO Thor in one-shot).

But that was IG Thanos so it doesn't count. We don't know what happended at the beginning of IW (it's possible Thanos beat Thor all by himself, still this was Thor without Stormbreaker publikę in EG).

About Thor's mental state I think it was serious problem. But after talk with Frigga Thor got significantly better so I don't think it explains his poor performance in battle entirely.

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even after confirmation that Thor wasn't weakened I think trio could have fought better. They could attack Thanos from different sides at the same time (e.g. when Tony blasts him with repulsors, Thanos uses sword to block it, if Thor joins then and attacks him from other side with SB and Mjolnir, Thanos will have to defend against him with only one hand and without using the sword).

Also the heroes could have made the fight lot longer by keeping distance. But I don't think Thor using his more versatile attacks (tornados and BFR with Bifrost) would help as they're easy to avoid.

Surely trinity were intended to get stomped but going strictly by feats it can go either way (though no one can solo).

Avatar image for kryptonianking88
    KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KryptonianKing88

The only game changing thing would be to give Cap Mjolnir at the start. Ranged attacks like lightning would just get blocked and the Tornano (lol) would just be outrun by Thanos

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.