Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

Endgame: Fat Thor Was All Hemsworth + Insight on Power Level

Avatar image for supremegeneration
    SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SupremeGeneration
    No Caption Provided

I dunno if you guys knew this, but I found this out a while ago. Doesn't appear to be common news.

According to this article from IndieWire, Fat Thor was supposed to be regular Thor by the middle of the movie. However, Chris Hemsworth had other ideas.

One of the biggest kept secrets of “Avengers: Endgame” was the introduction of Chris Hemsworth’s Thor as a heavier-set alcoholic. The character’s larger appearance was dubbed “Fat Thor” on the internet, but not everyone was laughing at Thor’s new look. “Endgame” screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely were accused of fat-phobia and making fun of obesity by using Thor’s weight gain as a source of comedic relief in the film. Hemsworth revealed in a new Variety cover story that the script originally had Thor revert back to his muscular physique midway through “Endgame” but that he fought to keep “Fat Thor” present throughout the entirety of the film’s runtime.

“I enjoyed that version of Thor,” Hemsworth told Variety. “It was so different than any other way I played the character. And then it took on a life of its own.”

There also appears to be some insight as to how the screenwriters (more specifically, Christopher Markus) thought being fat affected Thor:

While Thor’s larger appearance is initially used for comedy, the screenwriters defended the choice by saying Thor’s weight is never the obstacle the character has to overcome. Thor’s arc in “Endgame” is about pushing forward emotionally and not obsessing over his weight gain. As Markus said, “We fix his problem [at the end of the film], and it’s not his weight. I know some people are sensitive about some of the humor that comes from it, which I understand. But our issue that we wanted him to deal with was his emotional state that his mom addresses. And I think he is the ideal Thor at the end of the movie, and he’s carrying some weight.”

While not exactly about power level, I think the intent is clear in that the Endgame writers didn't think Thor being fat was a big deal. He was just emotionally damaged. Was he fat? Sure. But he wasn't affected by it.

Thoughts?

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
    deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supremegeneration: glad you made this it’s own thread I think this is going to be the biggest factor going forward from now on people ignoring it are likely being ignorant.

It shows they had clear plans to have Thor physically back to his best and that all 3 members of the trinity are at there prime for the final battle but Hemsworth chose to keep the fat suit in order to show he had overcame his problems without just making them disappear.

iEon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By iEon

The only thing I find silly about Fat Thor is all the actual in real life fatties crying over it lmao. "Fat shaming" Oh the world we live in.

Though I hope he comes out of that phase, I won't care if he's fat in GoTG 3 because I don't care about that franchise but moving foward yeah.

BT006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aka he’s staying fat

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

“Endgame” screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely were accused of fat-phobia and making fun of obesity by using Thor’s weight gain as a source of comedic relief in the film.

lmao

Hemsworth revealed in a new Variety cover story that the script originally had Thor revert back to his muscular physique midway through “Endgame” but that he fought to keep “Fat Thor” present throughout the entirety of the film’s runtime.

Now this is sad. Like I said, miscast...

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is literally how its presented in the film.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This means Thor is still in his prime. Also if you can lift a thousand+ tons like Thor I don’t understand why people pretend like adding 100 pounds will affect even his agility (it’s just negligible weight). There’s even a deleted scene of Thor doing a flip or something, he wasn’t nerfed and he can’t beat Thanos alone ever with a surprise attack.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
    IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've said it multiple times, and I'll say it again: Endgame Thor is best Thor.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 killbilly  Moderator

"Fat-phobia."

Lmfao.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Asgaard

That is only poor damage control for the "Fat-phobia" backlash...

And I think he is the ideal Thor at the end of the movie

That is why he abandons his people, right?

“No, he’s broken and that’s who he is moving forward,” said Joe Russo, who described it as their way of showing how he has fallen apart after the Snap, the destruction of his homeworld Asgard, and the loss of nearly everyone he knew or loved.

“How is everyone processing their grief? We wanted them all to process it in very different ways. And Thor is an exceedingly tragic character who was built from the time he was a boy to be a king,” Joe continued. “What is the distance that a character like that can travel, a god? Somebody, especially, who looks like Chris Hemsworth?”

So they made him a physical and emotional trainwreck.

There are a lot of jokes at his expense. Rocket Raccoon (Bradley Cooper) calls Thor a “melting ice cream cone,” and even his mother, Frigga (Rene Russo), pleads with him to eat more salad before bidding him adieu. But the Russos insist there’s a serious side to Out-of-Shape Thor, too.

“Even though there’s a lot of fun to be had in the movie with his physical condition, it’s not a gag,” Anthony said. “It’s a manifestation of where he is on a character level, and we think it’s one of the most relatable aspects of him. I mean, it’s a very common sort of response to depression and pain.”

“What would happen if that character became extremely angry and started to punish himself and didn’t care anymore?” Joe said. “What would happen to him? He’s an alcoholic now, he doesn’t care about anything. He doesn’t care about himself.”

That’s the reason why we didn’t end up turning him back,” Anthony said. “It’s an experience that stays with him.”

When Thor journeys back in time to Asgard during the era of The Dark World, he encounters his mother again, who is about to lose her life. “The future has not been kind to you,” she says after laying eyes on him.

Thor breaks. He tells her he failed to live up to what was expected of him.

“Everyone fails at who they’re supposed to be, Thor,” she answers. “The measure of a person, of a hero, is how well they succeed at being who they are,” she tells him.

That fortifies the Thunder God enough to keep going. “I missed you, Mum,” he says.

By the end of the story, Thor has ceded the crown of the survivor colony New Asgard to Tessa Thompson’s Valkyrie, who has been filling the role of leader anyway. “It’s time to be who I am rather than who I’m supposed to be,” he tells her, echoing his mother’s words. “But you — you’re a leader. That’s who you are.”

Then he decides to become part of a new team — venturing off in the Benatar with the Guardians of the Galaxy, and chafing Chris Pratt’s Star-Lord by referring to the group as “The Asgardians of the Galaxy, back together again!”

It’s a glint of optimism. Maybe the next time we see him he’ll be in a better place.

He may have made some repair in this movie and made progress, but that experience that brought him to that physical condition is still with him, and it’s a longer road beyond that,” Anthony said. “We don’t know what that road beyond that is for him.link

The question is, why was Tony Stark the one chosen by the Russo Brothers to take the fall?

"Thor in this movie couldn't do it, only Hulk was strong enough to do the snap without dying. We are still not sure whether Captain Marvel can also withstand all the power of Infinity Stones at once. The reason we choose to let Iron Man do it in the end was because he was the closest one to Thanos at the time. In all the futures Doctor Strange foresee, Iron Man was the only one who could get close to Thanos and do the snap. People usually think the death of a hero is a horrible tragedy. But we think this is different. When his death was able to bring back hope, to save half of the universe, then his death was powerful and meaningful. We shouldn't feel too sad or angry about it."

Hemsworth relished the transformation. “Physically, it was a good three hours in hair and makeup,” he says. “Then the prosthetic suit, particularly for the shirt-off scene, that was a big silicone that weighed about 90 pounds. It was certainly exhausting. I had weights on my hands and ankles just to have my arms and legs swing differently when I shuffled along through the set.”

It may be a desire of some battle forums users but it did not happen...

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 death4bunnies  Moderator  Online

@supremegeneration:

Nice thread; this is how I took it from the beginning.

I like this version of Thor, he’s more like a ‘real’ Viking now.

Nothing wrong with being a large mammal.

Avatar image for professorrespect
    ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Smh, I said this since the movie came out that Thor was only really effected mentally and that the fat didn't do anything to his actual stats. Nice to see people eventually catch on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diarrhearegatta: there are plenty still denying it elsewhere from what I’ve noticed, “fat Thor nerfed” is one of those things that’s been said long enough now it’s almost becoming the truth sadly.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cregan_Stark

They stated that Thor was “in no shape” to make the snap. If he were in his prime still, I don’t think that they would have made this statement.

He wasn’t NEAR as impressive in battle as he was in either Ragnarok or Infinite War.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cregan_stark: seemed to be more concerned about his mental shape and desperation to do the snap.

Tony was the one to bring it up and he was the one who specifically said to Cap he was only joining the mission assuming they could bring everyone back but! Not change the current 5 years.

Banner/Hulk was both sound of mind and due to his gamma related power he also had the body to possible survive the ordeal which he then did.

IAmTheLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IAmTheLaw

@diarrhearegatta said:

Smh, I said this since the movie came out that Thor was only really effected mentally and that the fat didn't do anything to his actual stats. Nice to see people eventually catch on.

Some people think Thor at the end of Infinity War could beat Thanos without the gauntlet. I keep saying over and over that even if he's weaker in Endgame, he's not so much weaker that Thor + Cap Thor + Iron Man lose handily to someone normal Thor could beat. That would make absolutely no sense. Thor is the third most powerful Avenger now, sadly, behind the two that are powered by the Infinity Stones.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This doesn't seem to suggest anything about power level. Just that Thor being fat wasn't the obstacle they were focused on.

BOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this means that we can put the "Thor was nerfed" claims to bed. This is news to me and I'm glad it has it's own thread.

If this were the intent of the screenwriters and not some cover up (which admittedly has happened before), I think it was well crafted and deserves its credit.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Heatforce

This is interesting. Have we ever had a fictional character become out of shape or rusty yet still remain at the peek of their power? Not that I can recall ?‍♂️

Sure maybe he has the same strength and striking feats but logically his speed and stamina should be crap compared to Infinity War.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@supremegeneration: He’s god Power was fine, but the Avengers mention he was in no shape to handle the Infinity Gauntlet...

I already had previously read this article. I didn’t bother posting cause fanboys still gonna fanboy...

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is interesting. Have we ever had a fictional character become out of shape or rusty yet still remain at the peek of their power? Not that I can recall ?‍♂️

Sure maybe he has the same strength and striking feats but logically his speed and stamina should be crap compared to Infinity War.

LOL... I am not sure how some users have such weak awareness, that they don't perceive how dumb their posts are...

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@kgb725 said:

This is literally how its presented in the film.

iEon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was definitely nerfed.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: I'm serious though. Naruto comes to mind during the shin arc of boruto and then as the series progressed he got back into the swing of things. I feel like the same should be with Thor. Getting fat and lazy yet still remaining just as athletic and powerful is illogical and promotes being unhealthy. I would like to see Thor be buff and cut again.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Asgaard
    @heatforce said:

@asgaard: I'm serious though. Naruto comes to mind during the shin arc of boruto and then as the series progressed he got back into the swing of things. I feel like the same should be with Thor. Getting fat and lazy yet still remaining just as athletic and powerful is illogical and promotes being unhealthy. I would like to see Thor be buff and cut again.

Aside from some comicvine users every single human being that i know (even under 7 years old), knows that...

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cregan_stark: fair enough it makes more sense that way to me and anyone I’ve met plus seemed to be written by reviews that way also.

I just doubt the Russos cares that much about it in a feat sense when the whole film was about the Avengers dealing with the snap mentally and recovering the save the day.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finalkingthanos: His emotional state shouldn’t have anything to do with handling the very physical attack on his body.

Him not being in peak shape would however put things into doubt. The movie made constant jokes (as did the characters) about his physical state and I’m supposed to be believe that after all of that, I’m supposed to believe that they’re referring to his emotional state (all of the sudden) when they say that he’s in no shape to handle it?

This is the same guy who bathed in a freaking star, who had the best durability that we’ve seen in the MCU (sans Thanos) and had just began to get his confidence back after speaking to his mother.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cregan_stark: well for me the snap back scene has more than one theme going on -

I’m saying Tony is calling him out on that because Tony is the one who cares about the result the most, he even reminds Hulk just after this not to mess anything up either regarding the current 5 years. Thor was shown to be a drunk and emotional wreck until being worthy again which atm the other Avengers aren’t aware of and he comes across very desperate to set things right which is too risky.

It’s only Thor and the hulk that refer to anything durability and power related regarding the gauntlet and Hulk / the Russos pretty much state the Hulks the only hero capable of surviving the snap atm and they specifically give the reason being gamma radiation.

I agree with your bottom part but the Russos gave both feats? It’s seems clear to me the gauntlet takes a heavier toll on the user even if it doesn’t like explode everyone else around it. They even found Thanos at the start of the movie because doing a snap sends emery signals planets away.

I think what some people are missing is it’s not that Hulk is just more durable than Thor as it’s likely the gauntlet would cripple or kill either but!!!.... again they used the gamma radiation excuse like the hulk was “made for this” that’s really the difference why Hulk was the only one except Thanos to be able to do it.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cregan_stark: yeah no problem mate just thought I’d share my opinion.

See you around.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.