Do you consider Thor holding back SB from penetrating his chest a feat?

TheCapstrikes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

At that point he’d taken a lot punches to the face and Thanos had the upper ground and was using two hands to push Stormbreaker into his chest and Thor was still able to hold it back for a good amount of time even though having a bad angle.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Shinne

There was some resistance, but not anywhere near enough to stop Thanos.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ehhhhhh

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you have to be worthy to wield Stormbreaker...?

KrisBishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KrisBishop

Yeah, especially if you consider the fact that Thanos could effortlessly overpower Hulk physically.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal: regarding Stormbreaker - all we know so far is that you have to be very powerful according to Thor (assuming he isn’t lying).

So far nothing would suggest otherwise as only Thor, Thanos and Cap with the power of Thor have held it. Should be noted the axe only lights with blue flame when Thor has it though.

Regarding the OT - I would say it’s partly a feat that he could contend with thanos on two separate occasion but it seemed evident from the film that Thor was straining (the first time / enraged the second) while Thanos seemed to be sadistcoally laughing/smiling. It was obvious Thor was dead in that moment if not for Cap saving the day.

He does a lot better later on when using both weapons to leverage Thanos down for a moment (weirdly love that whole section).

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure. Thanos is obviously stronger than Thor but Thor still resisted his strength quite well all things considered.

iEon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it was blatant PIS from the incompetent Russos who specialize in sudden abrupt fluctuations in character power levels

Other examples:

• Spider-Man stopping a overhead hammer strike from Cull Obsidian when same Cull Obsidian hits Iron Man hard enough to severely daze him presenting 3 seperate occasions where he almost kills him. Also knocked out War Machine and stomped Hulkbuster. PIS
  • How everybody and their momma could restrain Thanos on Titan, a freaking cloak stopped him from clenching his fist, also a toy device from Iron Man... Same hand that crushed the Tesseract. Thanos can't escape his arms from Star-Lord electric mine thing, or from Doctor Strange rope.
  • Kick from Thanos K.Os Thor.... Doesn't kill Cap even when he flies through a boulder when Thanos is bloodlusted.
Lord_Titan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All im saying is thanos had to use more force to control stormbreaker unlike thor who could obviously yield it

Avatar image for deactivated-5ede7a8106dc9
deactivated-5ede7a8106dc9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean kind of. It not PIS considering he did it again later on in the battle.

On top of the fact Thanos had a leverage advantage and was struggling to push it into Thor’s Chest.

Kind of puts them on the same level of strength with Thanos being a bit stronger.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t see how it isn’t a feat for Thor.

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a feat but it's something we already knew in that Thor is strong enough to compete but he's not going to hold Thanos off in a contest of pure strength.

Better feat in it is that Stormbreaker starts cutting into Thor with literally no resistance.

iEon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aye yai yai. People actually using this as a feat. Thor is drastically weaker than Thanos it shouldn't even be possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-6052e8e44cb84
deactivated-6052e8e44cb84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope because he was still gonna get Stormbreaker pushed into his chest at the end of the day had Cap not saved him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2cf537b4a1c
deactivated-5d2cf537b4a1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope because he was still gonna get Stormbreaker pushed into his chest at the end of the day had Cap not saved him.

It might be useful if we consider the differences in strength. Thanos was having to work it into Thor.

Namebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Namebk

Thanos is only slightly ahead of Thor in strength so this is a feat for Thor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjar: Which he was doing pretty easily. Good thing for Thor is he's strong enough to not get easily overpowered, had adrenaline kicking in, and worthy Cap.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthvaderrocks said:

@rajjar: Which he was doing pretty easily. Good thing for Thor is he's strong enough to not get easily overpowered, had adrenaline kicking in, and worthy Cap.

True, but Thanos was smiling when he easily pulled Hulk's arms off his neck, which (the pulling action) oughta be harder than the action of pushing an ax into someone after you already beat them up, and when you have your leverage advantage pressing on said person as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjar: Looks like he's smiling here too

No Caption Provided

I definitely think the Hulk feat was harder and better too because Thanos didn't just rip Hulk's arms off he put them to his side like he was a damn child.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjar: Looks like he's smiling here too

No Caption Provided

I definitely think the Hulk feat was harder and better too because Thanos didn't just rip Hulk's arms off he put them to his side like he was a damn child.'

Oh crap u right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjar: Yeah Thanos is sick. Pretty much enjoying seeing Thor fight for his life knowing he's still gonna end up killing him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthvaderrocks said:

@rajjar: Yeah Thanos is sick. Pretty much enjoying seeing Thor fight for his life knowing he's still gonna end up killing him.

Didn't Thanos see Thor decapping him? Maybe he was glad he'd be safe from certain decapitation, since he looked like he was scared shitless when Thor was about to slit his neck (with Cap on his back). Thanos was losing that strength fight, so Thor might be somewhere above half as strong as Thanos?

Problem is Thanos has better leverage than Thor. Thor might have put up a harder fight if Thanos was pressing the other end in, since Thor could have grabbed that part and pushed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjar: Thanos didn't seem all that phased by Thor cutting off his head since he responded to it saying "And that's destiny fulfilled."

Nah Thanos was still winning that second strength contest.

No Caption Provided

As you can see from the overhead shot even with Thor using Mjolnir to get Thanos arm in a hold he still could barely even move Stormbreaker to Thanos. Thanos is in a different strength class compared to Thor.

I doubt it. Thor would be in awkward position because he's nowhere near as big as Thanos and his arms are much smaller. He'd have to actually stand completely over Thanos for that to work. And plus we saw how easily Thanos got out of Hulk's choke hold while Hulk had leverage. You ain't gonna out strength Thanos one on one, you're gonna need help which is what Thor got in this gif because once Cap came Stormbreaker was much closer to Thanos neck than what Thor was doing alone.

Cregan_Stark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe it shows exactly what the difference is between the two characters. Thanos is clearly stronger however Thor is strong enough to slow Thanos down.

I still say that Hulk matched up the best in terms of pure strength but Thanos was stronger than him too by a slight margin.

Yes I realize CM had a feat against him but her feat was against one of his arms and she used leverage from flight. Thanos was also overpowered by Scarlet Witch but that wasn’t from pure strength.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjar: Thanos didn't seem all that phased by Thor cutting off his head since he responded to it saying "And that's destiny fulfilled."

Nah Thanos was still winning that second strength contest.

No Caption Provided

As you can see from the overhead shot even with Thor using Mjolnir to get Thanos arm in a hold he still could barely even move Stormbreaker to Thanos. Thanos is in a different strength class compared to Thor.

I doubt it. Thor would be in awkward position because he's nowhere near as big as Thanos and his arms are much smaller. He'd have to actually stand completely over Thanos for that to work. And plus we saw how easily Thanos got out of Hulk's choke hold while Hulk had leverage. You ain't gonna out strength Thanos one on one, you're gonna need help which is what Thor got in this gif because once Cap came Stormbreaker was much closer to Thanos neck than what Thor was doing alone.

Sorry, I meant the leverage when Thanos was about to kill Thor. If the blunt end was facing him, he might have gotten a better grip on pushing it upward.

You think Mjolnir might have weighed down on Thanos's arm? Or was that just Thor locking it into place?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjar: You mean if this part was facing Thor

No Caption Provided

If so maybe. Although always gotta account for the fact Thanos would have just tried to push even harder and he already has a strength advantage not to mention leverage too.

Ooh you could be right that he was weighing it down. I mean Thanos does immediately go down once Mjolnir comes. Could he maybe have been doing both?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjar: You mean if this part was facing Thor

If so maybe. Although always gotta account for the fact Thanos would have just tried to push even harder and he already has a strength advantage not to mention leverage too.

Fair.

Ooh you could be right that he was weighing it down. I mean Thanos does immediately go down once Mjolnir comes. Could he maybe have been doing both?

Most likely, tbh.

IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal: regarding Stormbreaker - all we know so far is that you have to be very powerful according to Thor (assuming he isn’t lying).

So far nothing would suggest otherwise as only Thor, Thanos and Cap with the power of Thor have held it. Should be noted the axe only lights with blue flame when Thor has it though.

Regarding the OT - I would say it’s partly a feat that he could contend with thanos on two separate occasion but it seemed evident from the film that Thor was straining (the first time / enraged the second) while Thanos seemed to be sadistcoally laughing/smiling. It was obvious Thor was dead in that moment if not for Cap saving the day.

He does a lot better later on when using both weapons to leverage Thanos down for a moment (weirdly love that whole section).

So you think Cap was still imbued with the power of Thor when he wielded Stormbreaker? Even without continued contact with Mjolnir?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal: imo from the film it didn’t seem like Cap needed to hold the hammer at all times to have it’s power, either he was completely amped both with the hammer abilities and physicals or he only got the hammer abilities.

After Thanos disarmed him there was a long time before the assemble scene finished and he still called Mjolnir back to him at the end of it all before the charge.

In the scene he held Stormbreaker he had only just threw Mjolnir like a few seconds before and he actually recalled Stormbreaker with the same “magic” while Thor recalled Mjolnir.

It’s the same later on when Cap jumps on to help kill Thanos, his strength clearly makes a difference but Thor entered the fight a few moments before him with both weapons.

Hopefully the DVD clears some of this up or we are left to decide ourself lol what do you think?

bleidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course it's a feat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthvaderrocks: @rajjar: sorry I know you guys stopped talking about this a few days ago.

I thought it’s interesting about the Mjolnir part we all agree Thor seemed to get Thanos down on one knee after leveraging Mjolnir into Stormbreaker?

But what I found more interesting in theory of it weighing him down is after Cap joins the grapple and Thanos genuinely starts to struggle (We need confirmation on worthy Cap strength or not) it’s hard to see but he only breaks out of the grapple after punching Mjolnir away with his left hand so it definitely seemed to be a big factor.

IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal: imo from the film it didn’t seem like Cap needed to hold the hammer at all times to have it’s power, either he was completely amped both with the hammer abilities and physicals or he only got the hammer abilities.

After Thanos disarmed him there was a long time before the assemble scene finished and he still called Mjolnir back to him at the end of it all before the charge.

In the scene he held Stormbreaker he had only just threw Mjolnir like a few seconds before and he actually recalled Stormbreaker with the same “magic” while Thor recalled Mjolnir.

It’s the same later on when Cap jumps on to help kill Thanos, his strength clearly makes a difference but Thor entered the fight a few moments before him with both weapons.

Hopefully the DVD clears some of this up or we are left to decide ourself lol what do you think?

I'm honestly undecided here. I'm just going through questions in my mind. Clearly Cap is worthy, hence Mjolnir. But could he also hold Stormbreaker because he's worthy, or because he still had the power of Thor? If he can channel lightning like Thor, how come he didn't do it with Stormbreaker? There's precedence for being able to combat Thor's weapons with raw power (i.e. Kurse). It shows how powerful Thanos is that he can overpower it they way he did, or even hold off Stormbreaker and Mjolnir with one arm. But what if Thanos is worthy (I know, I know. I'm just throwing out thoughts)?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal:

Tbh Cap and Thanos both holding Stormbreaker is another reason I do believe he had the true power of Thor because it still keeps in line with Stormbreaker being Asgard’s greatest weapon and only the strongest can wield it.

Cap did only hold it for a few seconds so maybe he could channel lightning through it or maybe Thor now being “king / all father” has better control.

Its probably worth noting If Cap truly has Thors power it’s pre Ragnarok lightning amp which might be a factor. We still see Thor use “god mode” and his cloak as well as SB blue flame, while Cap seems to only channel lightning through Mjolnir itself.

I actually also think it’s overlooked how easily Stormbreaker was going into Thors chest during that OT exchange, the weapon is clearly meant to be the top level of the MCU.

IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal:

Tbh Cap and Thanos both holding Stormbreaker is another reason I do believe he had the true power of Thor because it still keeps in line with Stormbreaker being Asgard’s greatest weapon and only the strongest can wield it.

So if Stormbreaker basically just requires raw power, I wonder if Hulk could lift it. In theory.

Cap did only hold it for a few seconds so maybe he could channel lightning through it or maybe Thor now being “king / all father” has better control.

Its probably worth noting If Cap truly has Thors power it’s pre Ragnarok lightning amp which might be a factor. We still see Thor use “god mode” and his cloak as well as SB blue flame, while Cap seems to only channel lightning through Mjolnir itself.

Fair enough.

I actually also think it’s overlooked how easily Stormbreaker was going into Thors chest during that OT exchange, the weapon is clearly meant to be the top level of the MCU.

Yeah. Thor's durability didn't mean much there. Still waiting on Beta Ray Bill to show up at some point. Just take the man's weapon like that...Lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal: see tbh who can lift SB might be a good thread to start? Lol probably already done I don’t know.

In theory ... and imo I would say Hulk should be able to lift it no problem like it’s just a war Axe especially after his gauntlet feat, but only Thor and maybe worthy Cap can actually use its magic / lightning obviously.

For me characters around the level of Hulk / Carol / Hela should be able to hold it.

I’m not surprised tbh it seemed evident to me Thanos durability is meant to be no1 and then some in the mcu (possibly Carol as well) and I think his feats are lowballed by a lot of users because it doesn’t have the word Nuke involved, yet SB goes through his skin like butter. So yeah not surprising it cuts into Thor but more proof of its level?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finalkingthanos:

Cap was able to hit Thanos exponentially harder than he was in IW, which is why I believe in some strength enhancement. Thor’s power includes his physical power, based on how Odin enchanted Mjolnir and what powers Thor had remaining when he was done (none) with the whole banishment gig.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By Erkan12

Yeah, but it's kind of lame since Thanos couldn't do the same to Hulk.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.