Do think that mcu is going sjw route ?

• 110 results
#1 Posted by DC1008 (407 posts) - - Show Bio

Because I don't

#3 Posted by Batvibe12 (6108 posts) - - Show Bio

No. All Marvel is doing is putting more female, POC, and LGBTQ+ characters into the spotlight, which is good for the younger generation who happen to be females, POC, and/or LGBTQ+.

#4 Edited by TobyMaguire (1381 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Edited by Jgames (8426 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not think wanting variety of superheroes, black, female, asian, gay, lesbian etc is a SJW. I mean maybe gay and lesbians, but female superheroes or asian superheroes is not simply for wanting diversity but to make money, at least for Disney. Oh a chinese superhero movie, I wonder how well that will do with China. A female superhero that will entice more of the female demographic and make more money, cool for them. They are a business first, they not going to go out of their way to make something way political that it make people divisive and hurt their product. Which some people point to Captain Marvel but that still made over a billion dollar despite many conspiracy theories trying to say otherwise. I mean sure the actress herself might able to be called an"SJW", maybe, but most people did not care about that news.

I mean a gay superhero blockbuster maybe would be consider an SJW move considering the many countries that unfortunately see it as controversial and not acceptable in their countries, but even that is changing and not going to hurt a movie as much now a days compare to back then. But last I check they not doing anything like that, and like the only gay superhero marvel has its off-screen confirmation that Valkyrie is gay. They have plenty of diverse superheroes, but is no coincidence that Deadpool 2 is like the only mainstream superhero movie to have a gay couple. Maybe that will change, but I think they wouldn't risk that unless it might make them more money and better publicity.

#6 Edited by The_Magister (15190 posts) - - Show Bio

To conservatives, anything that doesn't heavily involve straight white males is SJW. Lol

#7 Posted by TobyMaguire (1381 posts) - - Show Bio

@jgames said:

I do not think wanting variety of superheroes, black, female, asian, gay, lesbian etc is a SJW. I mean maybe gay and lesbians, but female superheroes or asian superheroes is not simply for wanting diversity but to make money. Oh a chinese superhero movie, I wonder how well that will do with China. A female superhero that will entice more of the female demographic and make more money, cool for them. They are a business first, they not going to go out of their way to make something way political that it make people divisive and hurt their product. Which some people point to Captain Marvel but that still made over a billion dollar despite many conspiracy theories trying to say otherwise. I mean sure the actress herself might able to be called an"SJW", maybe, but most people did not care about that news.

I mean a gay superhero blockbuster maybe would be consider an SJW move considering the many countries that unfortunately see it as controversial and not acceptable in their countries, but even that is changing and not going to hurt a movie as much now a days compare to back then. But last I check they not doing anything like that, and like the only gay superhero marvel has its off-screen confirmation that Valkyrie is gay. They have plenty of diverse superheroes, but is no coincidence that Deadpool 2 is like the only mainstream superhero movie to have gay couple. Maybe that will change, but I think they wouldn't risk that unless it might make them more money and better publicity.

I reject your hypothesis!

#8 Edited by Jgames (8426 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobymaguire: lol

Loading Video...

Also like that you link to disney expose is just a scott pilgrim music video, keep on trolling you weirdo.

#9 Posted by mrmonster (17135 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh yes. They're having black superheroes, female superheroes, and (brace yourself for this one) gay superheroes. Any superheroes that aren't white straight men with big mustaches are SJW, period.

#Trump2020

#10 Posted by TobyMaguire (1381 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh yes. They're having black superheroes, female superheroes, and (brace yourself for this one) gay superheroes. Any superheroes that aren't white straight men with big mustaches are SJW, period.

#Trump2020

No Caption Provided

#11 Edited by PenguinDust (9946 posts) - - Show Bio

There’s nothing wrong with more diversity, however how heavy handed its presentation is is a deciding factor on its acceptance. Ruby Rose’s line from the Batwoman trailer about the bat suit not being perfect until it’s refitted for a woman is not the way to go. I was not a fan of the convenient group shot of all of the female MCU heroes in Endgame either, because it felt forced. Filmmakers in their eagerness to showcase female heroes may marginalize established male characters just as female characters have been for decades. It wasn’t right when it happened to them and it’s not right when it happens now. I am for diversity in casting and behind the camera, however being “diverse” shouldn’t be the main attribute of the character nor the main focus of the filmmakers unless they want to tell a story that only targets a specific demographic.

#12 Posted by cattlebattle (17994 posts) - - Show Bio

No. All Marvel is doing is putting more female, POC, and LGBTQ+ characters into the spotlight, which is good for the younger generation who happen to be females, POC, and/or LGBTQ+.

To conservatives, anything that doesn't heavily involve straight white males is SJW. Lol

#Trump2020

When you people say stuff like this you make it sound like the MCU is a political oligarchy tasked with social engineering more than it is a film studio worried about making enjoyable, fun films.

It's sort of scary.

I often wish I would bring my progressive checklist to the movies with me, so I can check off representation as well, but, you know, I am normal so......

#13 Edited by The_Magister (15190 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: It's not that we're trying to check things off a list, we just don't have a problem with representation. Too many people on the right get extremely offended when a woman or a person of color takes any spotlight role in entertainment.

#14 Edited by TobyMaguire (1381 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:
@batvibe12 said:

@the_magister said:

@mrmonster said:

#Trump2020

When you people say stuff like this you make it sound like the MCU is a political oligarchy tasked with social engineering more than it is a film studio worried about making enjoyable, fun films.

It's sort of scary.

I often wish I would bring my progressive checklist to the movies with me, so I can check off representation as well, but, you know, I am normal so......

I know right! That was why Captain America, X men, Black Panther, Ms Marvel was created, to be enjoyable for kids. Not tools to brainwash kids with propaganda

#15 Edited by cattlebattle (17994 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_magister said:

Too many people on the right get extremely offended when a woman or a person of color takes any spotlight role in entertainment.

There is more to it than that, and you know it, but you like to pretend that you don't so you can seem morally superior on the internet.

People usually have a problem with the way this stuff is handled or the subtext of message within the films, not solely the fact that it has a woman in it.

#16 Posted by Tyger (2866 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Captain Marvel was primarily done for the same reason Captain Marvel has been regular in Marvel comics. To keep the name away from DC, especially with Shazam being rumored.

Jane Foster as Thor, should it happen.. we'll see.

(Comments about the X-Men and FF 'taking time' are because they don't have any pressures on getting it done now..)

#17 Edited by TobyMaguire (1381 posts) - - Show Bio

@EvilTyger said:

I think Captain Marvel was primarily done for the same reason Captain Marvel has been regular in Marvel comics. To keep the name away from DC, especially with Shazam being rumored.

Jane Foster as Thor, should it happen.. we'll see.

(Comments about the X-Men and FF 'taking time' are because they don't have any pressures on getting it done now..)

It was done primarily because of Wonder Woman but yeah Shazam also may have part in it too

#18 Posted by Boby501 (571 posts) - - Show Bio

black superheroes ok, female superheroes ok, But gay superheroes WTF??? Just stop

#19 Posted by DanielDaRipper (6037 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really. Also as someone said I don't think Disney is doing this to be more diverse I think they just see them dollar signs and their like "oh the Asians are going to love Shang Chi, hell they might try to nominate this one for an Oscar too like Black Panther".

#20 Posted by Tyger (2866 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by adamTRMM (9678 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember the times when people adored Blade, Terminator 2, Alien, Luc Besson's flicks and what not without trying to score the moral high ground points while doing so?

Pussy generation it is.

#22 Posted by cattlebattle (17994 posts) - - Show Bio

I know right! That was why Captain America, X men, Black Panther, Ms Marvel was created, to be enjoyable for kids. Not tools to brainwash kids with propaganda

Well, Captain America and Ms. Marvel were actual propaganda, the rest, hard to say. You're right though, comics have always been a liberal morality play, though, superheroes have simultaneously always been inherently fascistic, but, people tend not to notice that stuff. Comics have always been a niche interest though, now, the MCU and Disney seem to function like the Truth Ministry.

#23 Posted by TobyMaguire (1381 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobymaguire said:

Well, Captain America and Ms. Marvel were actual propaganda, the rest, hard to say. You're right though, comics have always been a liberal morality play, though, superheroes have simultaneously always been inherently fascistic, but, people tend not to notice that stuff. Comics have always been a niche interest though, now, the MCU and Disney seem to function like the Truth Ministry.

WB started the feminist LGBT propaganda in first place with Wonder Woman not to mention Supergirl and Batgirl, Black Starfire etc. Disney and WB is on who could Pander more contest.

#24 Posted by hyiena (5407 posts) - - Show Bio

Anything not led by a white mail is sjw for incels.

#25 Posted by mrmonster (17135 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Except we're not. We're not the ones who go to every movie on a witch hunt looking for "agendas" that aren't there. And we're definitely not the ones who throw pity parties every time a movie dares to have a lead whose not white or not male. That would be people like TobeyMaguire, aka Mr. "As a white straight male which scene felt empowering?" I'm not kidding, that's an actual thread he made.

#26 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (3407 posts) - - Show Bio

In general, no. Diversity does not inherently mean SJW. Having said that, that one scene in EG was absolutely ridiculous and stands as the worse moment in MCU history and I will be annoyed if they do more of that crap

#27 Posted by Magian (153159 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll agree with PenguinDust on this one. Wanting to be more diverse is not bad, how you do it though is equally as important.

#28 Posted by BullPR (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

As pthet said: diversity supported by a strong/good storyline has never been a problem.

#29 Posted by TobyMaguire (1381 posts) - - Show Bio

@bullpr said:

As pthet said: diversity supported by a strong/good storyline has never been a problem.

Isn't that something every movies should have.

#30 Edited by SocaJunkie (9659 posts) - - Show Bio

No, nothing wrong with diversity.

Fox on the other hand dropped the ball with Mystique’s ‘It should be X-Women’ line, the hell were the writers thinking?

#31 Edited by TobyMaguire (1381 posts) - - Show Bio

@socajunkie said:

No, nothing wrong with diversity.

Fox on the other hand dropped the ball with Mystique’s ‘It should be X-Women’ line, the hell were the writers thinking?

To br fair what were thinking making Dark pheonix in first place

#32 Edited by SocaJunkie (9659 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobymaguire: Because it’s a classic X-Men story.

If you’re referring to it not being well received, studious often aren’t sure how their film William turn out until post-production.

In 1978, before Star Wars was complete, everyone involved thought it was shit and going to be a flop.

Often times the scripts are a big tip off but not always.

#33 Posted by TobyMaguire (1381 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobymaguire: Because it’s a classic X-Men story.

If you’re referring to it not being well received, studious often aren’t sure how their film William turn out until post-production.

In 1978, before Star Wars was complete, everyone involved thought it was shit and going to be a flop.

Often times the scripts are a big tip off but not always.

Who fuck##g gives movies to the dude who screwed up the the first Dark Phoenix movie abd have not directed anything

And Sophie Turner who really have not shown any acting skills to carry such an acting heavy roll

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#34 Edited by TheSpartanB345T (5226 posts) - - Show Bio

Slightly. Captain Marvel is going to lead and it feels really forced, and Love and Thunder is bringing Jane Thor in...

Falcon is going to be Cap...

I wouldn't say going SJW, but I would say repeating the mistakes of the comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7ad417f1919
#35 Posted by deactivated-5d7ad417f1919 (115 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not, they're just going for more diversity to appeal to a wider audience.

#36 Posted by Beyond_Dreams (229 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously they are. Even a blind person can see this. They are trying to win bonus points and attract the most feminist side of the world.

#37 Posted by Beyond_Dreams (229 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyiena said:

Nice way to simplify it you douche. Always when we criticize something your type of people have to comment like that.

#38 Posted by Devilmenworks (918 posts) - - Show Bio

There’s nothing wrong with more diversity, however how heavy handed its presentation is is a deciding factor on its acceptance. Ruby Rose’s line from the Batwoman trailer about the bat suit not being perfect until it’s refitted for a woman is not the way to go. I was not a fan of the convenient group shot of all of the female MCU heroes in Endgame either, because it felt forced. Filmmakers in their eagerness to showcase female heroes may marginalize established male characters just as female characters have been for decades. It wasn’t right when it happened to them and it’s not right when it happens now. I am for diversity in casting and behind the camera, however being “diverse” shouldn’t be the main attribute of the character nor the main focus of the filmmakers unless they want to tell a story that only targets a specific demographic.

Agreed. You brought up a good example of Batwoman and suit isn't perfect until it's refitted for a woman. Same with Superman saying that Supergirl is stronger and better than him and has always been in the CW series.

And replacing existing heroes with newer ones to be diverse is stupid in my opinion. For example, Natalie Portman being Thor in the future movies ( which was stupid in the comics as well) instead of being a new female superhero with the power of Thor. Iceman being gay all of a sudden after being a womanizer for decades.

I am all for new diverse superheroes, but they should be original ones, not replacement diverse copies.

#39 Posted by Emperorb777 (11664 posts) - - Show Bio

Well they hired a women for Ms Marvel who had all over her social media account #whitegenocide.

#40 Edited by Mrnoital (8491 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think that term is accurate

but within the next 4 years it's possible that Ironman will be replaced by Shuri(as Ironheart)

Hulk replaced by She-hulk

Hawkeye replaced by Kate Bishop

Thor replaced by Jane Foster

and Captain America is already replaced by Falcon

If by "going the sjw route" you mean replacing classic heroes with substitutes of a specifically different background, I guess so, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing

#41 Posted by DeathandGrim (4927 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:
@batvibe12 said:

@the_magister said:

@mrmonster said:

#Trump2020

It's sort of scary.

Hey wait.

#42 Posted by adamTRMM (9678 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for supermanfan1938
#43 Posted by Supermanfan1938 (1097 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Disney, what else do you expect?

#44 Posted by Emperorb777 (11664 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: Bishi K Ali, you won't find anything. Disney had deleted 5000 tweets from her twitter account and had her different social media accounts put on private. There might be some screenshots somewhere. This is one of the people who spoke about it.

https://youtu.be/0_dFTIh2ub8

#45 Posted by Tyger (2866 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, there's a Falcon and Winter Soldier series coming out, so it doesn't seem like Falcon is giving up his identity to become Cap Jr yet.

But the Thor bit went over like a lead balloon in the comics, and Marvel went with a 'blame the readers' tactic rather than asking themselves when it veered off course.

She Hulk hasn't really ever been that popular (even if I've personally always loved the character), but not actively unpopular either. (and would make for an awesome Deadpool entrance into the MCU.)

Personally, I've never understood why it's considered promoting diversity to have them be in the permanent shadow of a white male. (keeping in mind that some characters throw much larger shadows than others.)

#46 Posted by Kevd4wg (14288 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyiena said:

Nice way to simplify it you douche. Always when we criticize something your type of people have to comment like that.

I like how you immediately grouped yourself with incels with that we

#47 Posted by Dernman (26467 posts) - - Show Bio

Doing characters like Black Panther no but doing character like female Thor yes.

Can't believe people try to deny or excuse it.

#48 Posted by TobyMaguire2 (79 posts) - - Show Bio

@adamtrmm: Bishi K Ali, you won't find anything. Disney had deleted 5000 tweets from her twitter account and had her different social media accounts put on private. There might be some screenshots somewhere. This is one of the people who spoke about it.

https://youtu.be/0_dFTIh2ub8

Well find the screenshots. first James Gunn, now this woman. Stop trying to dig 10 year old tweets and trying to ruin other peoples life snowflake

#49 Posted by Emperorb777 (11664 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobymaguire2: Except it's not 10 years old it's this year, get your head out of your ass.

#50 Edited by TobyMaguire2 (79 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorb777 said:

@tobymaguire2: Except it's not 10 years old it's this year, get your head out of your ass.

Where is the screenshots or archives! And I doubt she said anything worse than Pewdiepie

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.