Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

Detail about MCU Worthy Cap

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
    deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I’ve seen a lot of people question how long he keeps the power of Thor.

I feel he has it all the way through the final battle and one moment I think gives credit to this is after Thanos destroys Caps shield and sends him flying to the other side of the battlefield a great distance from where Thanos and the hammer are.

There’s a long stretch of time passing as Thanos gives his speech and his army lined up then the Avengers do the same and even after all that as Cap shouts Avengers assemble he calls the hammer back to him showing he was still imbued with the power of Thor even without holding the hammer for a long period.

Thoughts?

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Richubs

@finalkingthanos:

He doesn't have it at any moment.

Thanos was overpowering Thor and hurting him in the beginning.

And at the same time HE CANNOT KILL ROGERS.

The power levels were all over the place and it doesn't make sense for him to have the power anyways. Any slight durability amp after the hammer lift is just clear inconsistency.

"Whoever can lift the hammer gets the power of Thor yada yooda"

I know he said that but there is not enough evidence to support that. On top of that Vision doesn't get any of Thor's powers when he picks it up. Some people say he's a machine that's why but there is absolutely no evidence to support that Mjolnir distinguishes Machines from humans.

Then someone might say that Cap has the power WHILE he has the hammer in the hand but that makes no sense either. It'd be a massive d*ck move on Odin's part to make the enchantment like that first of all. And that was clearly not the case when Thor gets his powers back in Thor 1. Imagine how amazing its be if Thor is human level when he doesn't have the hammer and then suddenly is superhuman when he gets it back.

Vision shows no signs that he has Thor's powers and nether does Captain America.

The only reason for why he could take some punches from Thanos after the hammer lift is clear inconsistency.

All he got were the powers that Mjolnir has for itself. That is flight and lightning generated from it. He doesn't have the physicals or the durability.

Bottomline is that from what we've seen from Vision lifting that hammer and Thor lifting the hammer in his own movie it makes no sense for Rogers to suddenly have Asguardian physicals of the highest order. And the theory of him having Thor's physicals ONLY while lifting the hammer makes absolutely 0 sense from any logical standpoint.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Richubs

Oh and by the way I acknowledge that Thor lost his physicals when Odin stripped him of his power and I get that. However just like that he also loses his armor and clothing. He gets that armor with the physicals and hammer when he becomes worthy again in Thor 1. One could argue that the suit has to do with worthiness as well and Captian didn't get that and neither did Vision. And like that this one theory is also too inconsistent for it to make sense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: well he can Throw and recall the hammer.

Use lightning.

Hold off aliens he was struggling with before.

Actually stand up to Thanos after the hammer lift when before even punches to the sheild we’re putting him down.

Him grabbing Stormbreaker made Thanos struggle.

This post was more about how long it lasted not if he got the physicals but your acting like he had nothing at all which is nonsense.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finalkingthanos:

I literally mention in my post that he doesn't get durability dut he does get the powers that come with Mjolnir. I mention that he gets flight, lightning etc.

Read it again.

He didn't get even a fractional physical amp.

He only got the amps that Mjolnir actually provides.

And like I said, the movie is all over the place with the power levels. Mainly with Captian America.

Even in IW the very fact that he could hold off Thnakd for one second is stupid and inconsistent even if he caught him off guard. Thanos made a face like he was struggling. He didn't have any "amped" physicals there but hey he did it. Him not dying of one punch from Thanos in EG is also incredibly stupid. For a guy with Thanos' physicals a normal human or a super soldier should pretty much mean the same things because for his strength level the difference should be negligible.

Any "amp" he got after lifting Mjolnir in terms of physicals was straight up inconsistency and it makes no sense for him to have gotten stronger.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: how is it stupid character survive punches all the time even in comics by far greater enemies. they are never going to just kill Cap in one punch lol look at tony with the gauntlet they toned down how much he was dying so it was emotional etc but clearly he was dead from the get go after seeing what happened to Hulk.

It was confirmed by the Russos Thanos was more intrigued or giving a face on contempt at how hard Cap was trying not that he was struggling with him Jesus christ mate it’s obvious even from the film alone he literally shrugs him and KOd him with a casual punch that whole scene is Thanos casually walking through the Avengers to his “Destiny”.

Well again to me the punch he takes in EG is while he’s amped by Mjolnir we literally see Thor get KOd by a headbutt a second before this and KOd again earlier by a kick.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Richubs

@finalkingthanos:

The Russos have actually talked quite a lot of shit in their interviews. Thanos hardly looks intrigued in the second shot. He genuinely looks like he's struggling. In the first shot he surely looks intrigued.

They obviously cannot kill Captian with one punch but then just don't have him take any punches from Thanos. Be a little smart with the choreography man. They shouldn't have fans make excuses for inconsistentcy on their part. What sort of an argument is that? They can not have Captian one shot so they'll not have him die when hit by someone that can squish him without effort. That's just lazy.

And we also see Thor struggling with Thanos the whole while and really feeling his punches but when he hits Cap, Cap only goes a few meters and merely gets KO'd when he should be fine red mist. It makes 0 sense and "They can't have him be one shot" is a bad argument because its just so wrong to have such inconsistencies

Look at the argument we're having right now. If they had not shown Cap take a punch from a bloodlusted Thanos and survived anyone would have gladly believed that he got amped by Mjolnir in physicals. But because of the bad inconsistent fight scene we don't think so now because he literally survived the punches that hurt Thor just fine. We cannot accept that because there is bare minimum evidence of that due to the bad power fluctuation...

On top of that there is Vision and Thor that we have seen picking up thr hammer and Captian getting the physicals would not make sense with that evidence as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: fair enough I respect your opinion

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs: ah don’t worry about it I love my comics but I’m not some crazy fanboy lol.

I disagree Cap wasn’t worthy amped but I totally understand and agree about your points with the Russos being all over the place at times but I guess that’s the difference between making good films and making films for battle forums.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2cf537b4a1c
    deactivated-5d2cf537b4a1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs:

I disagree with you on armor and clothing correlating with worthiness. It doesn’t. Odin ripped off part of Thor’s armor with his hands. He also blasted the rest with his own power, that he channeled through Mjolnir. Odin sealed practically all of Thor’s power in the hammer with the enchantment.

But the real reason I disagree is not really from Thor 1, but from Infinity War. That whole shtick with armor and clothes is generic to certain Asgardian magical weapons - Stormbreaker. Stormbreaker doesn’t have any enchantment, which places such a subject outside worthiness. It’s a personal trait of Thor’s, and it’s not part of his “power,” since it’s armor and clothes. One single instance of such a thing happening is enough to disprove a model that suggests the worthiness enchantment comes with the apparel, because the apparel is shown to be external to said enchantment.

And holding the hammer isn’t enough - since the “if he be worthy” is a subset of all hammer holders. Otherwise Hela would have got the power of Thor as well.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Buckwheat

@finalkingthanos:

@richubs:

What are you guys talking about. It's an undeniable fact that Cap got Thor's powers when lifting Mjolnir.

Oh and on topic, it's unclear how long Cap kept the powers, but it was for a long time, since he still had the hammer when he traveled back in time to return the stones.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buckwheat: I’m the one saying he did lol??

I agree I think he has them till the end of the film maybe a drop off during the funeral period.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjar:

You make a good point about the clothing. I concede that specific argument. I guess it does have something to do with Thor being worthy himself.

However if we look at the Hela part, many people belive that she was actually strong enough or was able o catch Mjolnir because she knew how it worked because of being worthy of it many years ago.

Vision and Cap aren't as powerful and were never worthy so them piskcijg the hammer does mean that they are worthy. But Vision never got his physicals improved and in top of that the argument that he gets the physicals every time he lifts the hammer would also make 0 sense because what sort of an enchantment would that be lol. If that'd have happened then Thor himslef wouldn't have his physicals without the hammer however we know that is not true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2cf537b4a1c
    deactivated-5d2cf537b4a1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs said:

@rajjar:

However if we look at the Hela part, many people belive that she was actually strong enough or was able o catch Mjolnir because she knew how it worked because of being worthy of it many years ago.

Well, I thought it was magic. Hela busted the uru either because of a failure of Odin's magic (couldn't seal her away any longer either( or the sheer power of her own. I would say this because Mjolnir had no such enchantment for worthiness till Thor 1.

Vision and Cap aren't as powerful and were never worthy so them piskcijg the hammer does mean that they are worthy.

Well, I can't defend that Viz was worthy, but if Cap got access to some standard of the power of Thor. I don't know exactly what that is, but I think it includes the lightning that Cap used, which is Thor's power. It helps that Russos confirmed for Cap, even though I don't really treat their words as end all be all.

But Vision never got his physicals improved and in top of that the argument that he gets the physicals every time he lifts the hammer would also make 0 sense because what sort of an enchantment would that be lol.

Well, if we reconcile your first conclusion, that picking up the hammer doesn't equate to worthiness, then that would resolve that issue. I'm defending that the nature of the enchantment has a set within a set, as in that whoever holds the hammer shall possess the power of Thor if and only if he is worthy. But I agree that Vision didn't get an amp.

If that'd have happened then Thor himslef wouldn't have his physicals without the hammer however we know that is not true.

Well, I thought that too. But Thor's powers, including his physicals, were restored when he was found worthy, since he became an enchanted Mjolnir's wielder. He received the sealed "power of Thor." My thought is that the enchantment remained valid until the hammer got destroyed by Hela, otherwise Thor wouldn't have got his physicals back by wielding the hammer. However, that leaves the glaring problem that you mentioned above. Thor's physicals are a result of his Asgardian physiology, which might not be as passing as his actual lightning powers. Perhaps that was a one-time transfer, and by that I mean, Thor lost it once by means of magic and got it back because he regained it by being worthy. Therefore, I don't think that physical aspect of Thor is contingent on Mjolnir's existence in of itself. However, I dunno if that precludes Mjolnir from being a gateway to accessing physical power.

Because Thor exists, and has the power inside of him. Mjolnir provides a gateway into those powers. Thor got his lightning powers and his physicals back when he was proven to be worthy, and Cap has more evidence in that regard than Vision, since he is accessing Thor's lightning power. Because of this, I am compelled to think that picking up Mjolnir in Thor 1 restored Thor's powers back to the original source, but at the same time, allowed for other worthies to be able to access it. I think the power of Thor is rather nebulous when it comes to physical power, but seems to be inclusive of it when Thor becomes worthy of it. That's because the hammer doesn't actually contain any of Thor's power - if Thor didn't subconsciously believe that it did, it would be a channeling and focusing device. I'd actually claim that as long as Cap was wielding the hammer (having a grip/TK wield on it), he'd be actively channeling said power. That's because the power isn't actually Cap's - it's Thor's. So a Mjolnir wielding Thor with a Post-Ragnarok mentality wouldn't have to worry about anything, since he owns the power itself - other worthies are allowed to use that power if the enchantment lets them do so, and that can only happen if they were wielding Mjolnir. Which means you'd be right about Odin being a dick (moot point - he was for the majority of his life) but in his defense, I'd say that any issues Thor had with his powers would be from his incorrect beliefs rather than actual fact.

Hence, lifting Mjolnir gave Thor's powers back to him for good, but it doesn't apply to anyone else, since they don't actually own the power.

Comparing Cap's unleashed fury on Thanos in IW versus his striking power in Endgame, something changed big-time, because Thanos was wearing his armor in Endgame and wasn't even jobbing for that part, which couldn't be said to be the case for IW.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Richubs

@rajjar:

Why would Odin allow someone to pick the hammer up if they're not worthy?

Everyone who picks the hammer up needs to be worthy. That's one of the base requirements for picking it up. I think that was pretty clear in Thor 1.

I agree Thor's physicals don't have to do anything with the hammer. I never said otherwise I think. All I'm saying is that just like Thor's physicals don't depend on the hammer other people won't get a physical amp because of it too.

I also don't think that by welding the hammer the user is channeling Thor's powers. You have to be worthy to weild the hammer and I think that's it. That would still leave us without the explanation of why Thor gained his powers back when he lifted Mjolnir. I think it was when Odin stripped him of his powers he took away the physicals too unless and until Thor becomes worthy. Now I know that seems a little too far fetched and is practically headcannon but channeling the power just because you're lifting the hammer is also pretty much headcannon. I think mine is more likely because of the whole Vision situation where he didn't receive any physical amps because of the hammer. Vision probably could use lightning however he didn't really get a chance to use the hammer really.

I agree that Mjolnir allows the user the channel some powers however I think its because of its own property and not Thor's powers channeling through Mjolnir. Mjolnir was Thor's only source of lightning up until Ragnarok. When Hela destroyed Mjolnir it erputed with lightning and its pieces had some lignting between them too. Any user that can pick the hammer up and is worthy of it can channel any powers that come with Mjolnir, i.e lightning and flight but none of the powers that are inherent to Thor himself like his physicals and the ability to channel lightning through himself.

Another reason as to why I don't think Mjolnir is just channeling Thor's powers is because of its flight. If it was having Thor's powers then Thor should've developed flight himself in Ragnarok but didn't. On top of that Mjolnir was once weilded by Hela. Which means by the channeling power logic it hakuldve once channeled Hela's powers and therefore should allow users to channel Hela's powers as well however that too is not the case.

However your points are very strong but I don't feel like they are more likely. Mainly due to Vision and Mjolnir having flight while Thor not having it hence proving it doesn't channel Thor's powers but its own.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its confusing. Durability wise he took a punch before lifting the hammer about as well as he did after.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edbb4007f071
    deactivated-5edbb4007f071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After he got the hammer, Thanos pulled a rock bottom on him slamming him full force into the ground and Cap got up in 2-3 seconds and proceed to stand his ground against him. Before picking up the hammer Thanos was oneshotting him for extended periods of time just by whacking the shield hard enough which in return sent Cap flying, taking him out of the fight.

He also staggered Thanos with a knee kick, prior to that he did a spin kick on Thanos which has absolutely no effect on him.

His stats were clearly amplified - I don't see how that's deniable.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

"Whoever holds this hammer, if be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor"

Powers of Thor

- Super strength

- Invulnerability

- Lightning and storms

- Mjolnir manipulation

Yeah pretty clear to me.

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
    asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By asgardianweapon

@richubs:

@richubs said:

@finalkingthanos:

I know he said that but there is not enough evidence to support that. On top of that Vision doesn't get any of Thor's powers when he picks it up. Some people say he's a machine that's why but there is absolutely no evidence to support that Mjolnir distinguishes Machines from humans.

Vision shows no signs that he has Thor's powers and nether does Captain America.

The only reason for why he could take some punches from Thanos after the hammer lift is clear inconsistency.

All he got were the powers that Mjolnir has for itself. That is flight and lightning generated from it. He doesn't have the physicals or the durability.

Bottomline is that from what we've seen from Vision lifting that hammer and Thor lifting the hammer in his own movie it makes no sense for Rogers to suddenly have Asguardian physicals of the highest order. And the theory of him having Thor's physicals ONLY while lifting the hammer makes absolutely 0 sense from any logical standpoint.

what does an elevator, an hander, the hellicarrer and vision got in common in the mcu?

they got no soul

i mean you could argue that the enchantment works exactly like in the comics in a way that could explain inconssistency and avoid lowballing but na i think you´re right

I literally mention in my post that he doesn't get durability dut he does get the powers that come with Mjolnir. I mention that he gets flight, lightning etc.

Read it again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richubs:

@richubs said:

@finalkingthanos:

what does an elevator, an hander, the hellicarrer and vision got in common in the mcu?

they got no soul

i mean you could argue that the enchantment works exactly like in the comics in a way that could explain inconssistency and avoid lowballing but na i think you´re right

Read it again.

They basically black and white say Mjolnir powers Cap up in the EG commentary and only with gaining power from the hammer can he now stand against thanos toe to toe and match him in skill and if he kept it up maybe even defeat him..

Thor gained his full powers back in Thor 1.

Jane will gain his full powers in Thor 4.

If people still cant accept it then I don't know what to say.

Avatar image for kryptonianking88
    KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianweapon said:

@richubs:

@richubs said:

@finalkingthanos:

they got no soul

Read it again.

They basically black and white say Mjolnir powers Cap up in the EG commentary and only with gaining power from the hammer can he now stand against thanos toe to toe and match him in skill and if he kept it up maybe even defeat him..

Thor gained his full powers back in Thor 1.

Jane will gain his full powers in Thor 4.

If people still cant accept it then I don't know what to say.

It's insane the lengths people will go to deny that Cap had a stat boost.

No Caption Provided

I've posted this feat countless times and had many argue it as PIS (maybe but likely not considering his earlier showing) or straight up argue that Thanos for whatever reason used a fraction of his power to not turn a supposedly unamped Cap's head to jelly

WakeUpSid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kryptonianking88: No , dude . You don’t understand . Thanos didn’t turn Cap’s head into jelly because he wanted to satisfy his full belly .

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.