Follow

Marv

Character » Marv appears in 58 issues.

Marv is hulking, tough and has an infamous reputation in Basin city. His physical features hide a tender heart, and after the only woman he ever loved is murdered, Marv swears to avenge her.

Mickey Rourke: 'Sin City: A Dame To Kill For' Looks Good

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

It's often pretty difficult to find a film whose sequel can surpass the original, but it seems that Sin City: A Dame To Kill For will do exactly that, at least in the humble opinion of actor Mickey Rourke who played Marv in the first film.

No Caption Provided

Whether intentional or not, Mickey Rourke has made some pretty memorable appearances in a couple of comic book movies. Take, for example, his performance in Iron Man 2 where he played Ivan Vanko, a stark (no pun intended) contrast to Tony Stark's character and the film's primary adversar (who could forget that performance?) Yet, prior to his debut in Marvel's Iron Man film franchise, Rourke appeared in Sin City as the film's lead protagonist, Marv. For those hoping to see the actor reprise the role in the sequel to Sin City, Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, you're in luck. According to Vulture there is a good chance the actor will return to the role. Furthermore, it seems he's already read the script and thinks its better than the script for the first film.

"I actually liked the script better, much better, for this one."
    == TEASER ==

Maybe Frank Miller's still got it? Yet, during the conversation with Rourke, the actor implied that his contract has not yet been finalized and he hasn't been confirmed for the role of Marv yet -- but we think it's highly likely. He isn't, however, looking forward to wearing prosthetics for the role as they do make him feel a bit claustrophobic. It's nice to know, however, that Rourke will deal with feeling a little bit claustrophobic for the sake of reprising the role onscreen. At least we hope so, anyway.

We are certainly looking forward to the release of Sin City: A Dame To Kill For on October 4th, 2013, what about you? Do you hope to see Rourke reprise his role as Marv in the sequel? Is this a film you have been looking forward to? Who do you think should play Ava Lord?

Source: Vulture

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By evilvegeta74

Hell yeah, Marv!

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By GalacticPunt

Although I think he's one of the greatest actors to ever get in front of a camera, Rourke is pretty darn eccentric, and I'm dubious of his ability to judge scripts. He said "yes" to "Passion Play" after all. Every bit of dialogue in that fell out of a bad student film, not even he and Bill Murray could quite salvage it.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I really enjoyed the first SIN CITY movie. I have the director's cut edition. Sadly, this was before Blu-ray, and I bet that movie would look amazing on BD.

I don't know if the movie needs a sequel, but I'll look forward to it. Rourke did an incredible job as Marv and Vanko.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By LordRequiem

The first was terrible. Clive Owen, as usual was the only stand out part.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By bloggerboy

Haven't watched Sin City in a while, gotta do just that.

I think Rachel Weisz would be a really good Ava.

wdchefdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wdchefdave

Go back in time and rent or buy "Fade To Black"... I never have liked him as an "actor" ... but, with Marv ... he nailed it.

I don't think that "Sin City II" is a good idea.

Nor do I want to see a "Pulp Fiction II".

If you want a reason to slit your wrists... watch "The Wrestler".

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RoboShark

Awesome.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm just happy that the movie is actually going to get made. It's been so long since the first Sin City movie that I was thinking it was just one of those movies that never got beyond the planning stages (though I suppose there's still plenty of time for it to fall through if they haven't even cast everyone yet).

But yes, I am excited.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mercy_

Do I get shunned from the comic book community if I say that I haven't even seen the first one?

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@Mercy_ said:

Do I get shunned from the comic book community if I say that I haven't even seen the first one?

As long as you say that Steel sucked you're o.k

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I will say in all honesty that I have not seen the first movie yet so I couldn't attest to my feelings on this save to say that Mickey Rourke is an awesome actor and would look forward to him reprising this role.

hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hunter5024

I never really thought it was necessary for them to put the poor man in prosthetics in the first place. Cool news though.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Delphic

I thought the storyline for "A Dame to Kill For" was covered in the first film?

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ThomasElliot

Why not a sequel? The first movie only covers 3 of the books really... there's plenty of story left to tell.

Its funny... people complain when comic book movies aren't 130% exactly like the book. Here you have one that is faithfully and creatively just like the book, and people still complain.

Sin City is exactly what it is: an ode pulp crime stories.... the actors really nailed it the first time around and there is no other comic book movie that practically looks like the pages came to life.

Avatar image for leviathan_sonofgenesis
    Leviathan_SonofGenesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mercy_ said:

Nah. Marv's a boss, yes.

Sin City was great? Yes.

But seeing the next one? No.

Not after Frank Miller's deranged rantings on his blog about occupy-"Lords of Warcraft"...dude is bat #*$! crazy. I can't support it.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By slade_wilson

Very excited to see this happen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.