Follow

Martian Manhunter

Character » Martian Manhunter appears in 3662 issues.

Sole survivor of the Martian people, J'onn J'onzz was teleported to Earth decades ago by Dr. Saul Erdel. Since then, he has adopted Earth as his new home, playing many roles over his time with humanity: detective, secret agent, explorer, and even a founding member of the Justice League.

Why isn't J'onn getting a TV or film appearance?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I can't get my head around why so many DC characters are scheduled for appearances in the next few years in either one of the new films or a TV show, but MM isn't one of them...I mean we've got Firestorm, Atom, Harley Quinn, Cyborg, Aquaman, Green Lantern and Flash, but a major part of the Justice League is missing. I ask why. Apparently David Goyer thinks Martian Manhunter is a silly name, but come on, is it really any sillier than some of the others? As a big MM I think its a shame that one of the most honourable, well established and outright powerful characters isn't coming to the screen...

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

He's time will come down the road. They just have to get the new main 7 out the way first before the get to characters like MMH, Hawkman etc.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: I'm just hoping they reveal that General Swanwick is Martian Manhunter.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23 said:

He's time will come down the road. They just have to get the new main 7 out the way first before the get to characters like MMH, Hawkman etc.

True, but there's a good argument that says he IS one of the main 7, having been one of the 7 JL members for a good period of DCs history before upstart Cyborg arrived! I suppose, "post Iron Man", Cyborg is considered more popular for the masses than a martian...pity.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: The Manhunter is probably more popular

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like if they have any plans for him they would keep it pretty quiet..just to have a bigger reveal when the movie would come out. It really wouldn't surprise me if he showed up in the Justice League film.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725:

Yup..he certainly has plenty of fans on Comic Vine....I see him as Marvel's Silver Surfer, another character who fascinates me....noble, alien, lonely, very powerful....loads of powers.....

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because DC are retarded most of the time, be thankful he hasn't because I'm sure they'ed find a way to f**k things up somehow

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xargo: let me guess...you like marvel more than DC?

As for the thread, who? And I mean who, can handle a Martian who can mind rape/punch/phase etc etc your ass to Mexico? The reason I think they haven't included him is because he's pretty damn powerful, him being part of the league in the first movie is

A) hard to incorporate

B) hard to execute without being total dicks and ruining the character he's hard enough to fight alone let alone in a team. But I sure would like a live action version of him to show up before I die

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Because you would have to spend a STUPID amount of cash on the cgi to make MM not look stupid and he's just not popular enough to make that type of cash.

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234: no actually i don't

because their idiots thats why

A) correct

B) we all would

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly feel he will show up sooner or later. Just because he doesn't have a movie announced doesn;t mean he won't ne a BIG player in the DCU. He could very easily have a not so subtle cameo spot in BvS (a la Nick Fury in Iron Man) which leads to a big role in future movies.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xargo: sorry for my false assumption. But why no faith in DC, sure they can mess up but they deliver too

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC wants to push Cyborg instead of MM because, for no good reason, he replaced MM as a founding member of the JLA.

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234: the last good things to come out of DC were young justice, superman vs the elite and man of steel everything after has been awful and the title "batman vs superman" doesn't rekindle my faith in the slightest i hope when that cyborg movie is made no one visits the cinemas

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

@bezza: I had never thought of the Surfer that way before, that's interesting. I've thought that the Vision is more along the lines of Marvel's MMH, but now that you mention Surfer, that makes sense too!

Ya I don't get why J'onn is getting shortchanged either. How is Martian Manhunter any sillier than, say, Ant-Man (and I like Ant-Man)? I think we will see him eventually though, just gotta be patient. But, like @dondave said, I'm hoping and thinking there is a legit possibility that he is General Swanwick as well.

As with anything, just gotta wait and see!

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xargo: I respect your opinion, I understand you might not like a lot of the things they are putting out, however I wouldn't say those were the last good things they put out, but it's all a matter of opinion.

The title I admit isn't the best out of the hat but at least it's delivering more than AGE of ultron instead of DAY/WEEK/MONTH of ultron. And cyborg might be different to what we think, granted its the one we are least interested about and honestly I'd rather see a Martian man hunter movie but it doesn't mean it's not gonna be good, I mean I can't say it won't be bad but it might be good.

What I'm trying to say is give the movie a chance and if it wows you, good. If it doesn't, well there's always Wonder Woman, green lantern corps, flash aquaman etc etc.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

MMH is BAF.

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Xargo
    Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xargo: I know, he does. Fingers crossed we see him show up as the real deal and not some toned down cosplay

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Xargo

@bezza: believe me, you wouldn't want DC to do an MMH film because there is not a doubtful bone in my body that thinks they would have to either take away some of his powers, or under power him or ruin one of his villains (although he doesn't have that many so it wouldn't be easy) in essence it would be very difficult, the director would have to be a genius and of course there is the whole matter that if they make him too strong and fast superman fans will complain its a rip off so very difficult

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Titanbreaker

@playswithsquirrels: While I hate to bring it up I think Cyborgs ethnicity had something to do with him replacing J'onn in the big 7. Ticking that representation box and what not.

Personally I would like to see him in something like the CW verse. MMH could easily introduce alien elements and still fit that format. J'onn often becomes a detective either private or in a police force thus allowing a human actor to play him in scenes like that, and with his density control J'onn would not need to turn into his martian form each time a super villain showed up. (Save on CGI)

I doubt he will ever get a solo movie as the current movie line up makes me think the new 52 big 7 layout is what we can expect in JL. If J'onn cannot be appreciated there, TV might be better for him. After all Flash and Arrow's popularity has shot up thanks to their respective series.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#GreenLivesMatter

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

If he's going to be in anything, I would say he'll be in one of the tv shows. Maybe Supergirl or one of the others.

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I mean, he was in Smallville, and it was a pretty good interpretation.

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kal_smahboi: you mean where he lost all of his powers and had to revert to using guns

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xargo said:

@kal_smahboi: you mean where he lost all of his powers and had to revert to using guns

Really shortchanged someone who should have been the most powerful hero in the show and denied fans many a good fight, would that Kryptonian invasion not been better if the forces of good had a full powered Martian ready to fight on their behalf?

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the DCCU is successful, I'm sure he'll get one eventually.

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m_man: if i were with you in person id make a $/£200 bet that he won't

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xargo said:

@bezza: believe me, you wouldn't want DC to do an MMH film because their is not a doubtful bone in my body that thinks they would either take away some of his powers, or under power him or ruin one of his villains (although he doesn't have that many so it wouldn't be easy) in essence it would be every difficult the director would have to be a genius and of course there the whole matter that if they make him too strong and fast superman fans will complain its a rip off so very difficult

It's not like characters aren't different from comics than they are in other media. I mean, I haven't seen Superman use his Freeze Breath on film in awhile, and there were plenty of chances to do so in MoS, so if MMH doesn't have "Martian Vision" or something like that, I don't think it should be considered a mark against him or DC. I mean, put him against someone like Despero or even look to how he was utilized in the Justice League cartoon, and you see it's not that difficult. I think you're undercutting Superman fans, when there's a Shazam movie on the way anyway, so even if we were to call anything a rip (which I highly doubt would be the case,) MMH wouldn't be an issue. Super Strength, Vision Powers, Alien Physiology, are essentially the only things Supes and MMH have in common. John is a Shape Shifter, Telepath, and from my experience a more calculating and somewhat more deceitful opponent. He's like Batman with Superman's powers.

@playswithsquirrels: While I hate to bring it up I think Cyborgs ethnicity had something to do with him replacing J'onn in the big 7. Ticking that representation box and what not.

Personally I would like to see him in something like the CW verse. MMH could easily introduce alien elements and still fit that format. J'onn often becomes a detective either private or in a police force thus allowing a human actor to play him in scenes like that, and with his density control J'onn would not need to turn into his martian form each time a super villain showed up. (Save on CGI)

I doubt he will ever get a solo movie as the current movie line up makes me think the new 52 big 7 layout is what we can expect in JL. If J'onn cannot be appreciated there, TV might be better for him. After all Flash and Arrow's popularity has shot up thanks to their respective series.

In all fairness though, I think that Cyborg has justified why he's an asset to The League well enough by this point. I mean, I think either John or Cyborg would have been a solid choice, and is there anyone else you'd rather see him replace?

And just because John isn't a founding JL member, he could still show up down the line if they decide to do something like a JLU movie or adapt a story from his current series.

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: well some fans do want to see j'onns full arsenal of powers used, especially since he's never used them all in one set of media before now and putting him up against despero seems unwise i think the main villains (for the first film anyway) should really be his brother.

tbh i wasn't really referring to superman fans, just you know..the people who thinks they're superman fans because they've seen like one of the christopher reeves film and suddenly think they know it all (non comic book fans, film fans, or better referred to as wankers...)

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think the Cgi would be too expensive for him in a live action movie and i don't think they will get the character right.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By Mrnoital

@cloakx14 said:

I think the Cgi would be too expensive for him in a live action movie and i don't think they will get the character right.

it wouldn't be any more expensive than it was for groot

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.