Follow

Martian Manhunter

Character » Martian Manhunter appears in 3630 issues.

Sole survivor of the Martian people, J'onn J'onzz was teleported to Earth decades ago by Dr. Saul Erdel. Since then, he has adopted Earth as his new home, playing many roles over his time with humanity: detective, secret agent, explorer, and even a founding member of the Justice League.

Martian Manhunter: Cosmic Detective idea

Kevinffinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For a while now it has seemed like DC does not know what to do with MM. We have now just had his second definitive origin. DC understands that there is value in the character hence why they keep trying but they aren't sure what to do with him. These are my thoughts on what they could do. Feel free to mention yours down below.

Origin - I'm flexible on which origin he could have. But whichever is chosen should have the pain and tragedy that has always been a staple. It should be as sad as possible which would lead to MM having issues with depression and trauma but I liked the New 52 one.

Abilities - I think he should have all of his staples like Strength, Speed, Invulnerability, regeneration, longevity, optic beams, shape-shifting, Intangiblity, invisibility, telepathy, telekinesis, flight, self sustainability, super senses etc. But I think to make them easier to understand, they should result from other abilities. For example flight could be the result of molecular control which he can extend to an extent to other objects (hence telekinesis), the optic beams could be concentrated beams of psionic energy, regeneration would also result from shape-shifting etc. Super speed, durability and enhanced strength can be innate abilities like Kryptonians but he can enhance these with his other abilities. For example increasing his strength by adjusting his muscle mass, increasing his durability by increasing the bonds between his molecules and increase his speed through telekinesis.

Role: This is the main reason for the thread.

Martian Manhunter has often been referred to as a sort of amalgamation of Superman and Batman. He is powerful but also smart and skilled. I think MM should be a cosmic level detective. His power and skill set is ideal for solving mystery and sneaking around. He is a genius cable of super fast flight, telepathy, invisibility, telekinesis etc. He would make an ideal cosmic detective. This would allow him to face large challenges that allow him to use his broad power set. While his telepathy would be useful, it can only get him so far. So he'd need to use his intellect, shape-shifting and invisibility to sneak around. These mysteries would probably end with big battles allowing him to use his more combat suited abilities like combat skill, super strength, invulnerability, optic beams etc. He would have close relationships with galactic and universal organisations like the green lantern Corps and be the "go to guy" for cosmic cases. He could have a Base on earth or somewhere in the milky way. He would still be an occasional member of the Justice League, appearing when things get really crazy but will also still operate as the league's chairman (Running things from the background like chess pieces but only appearing when necessary ). This would allow other characters to get their time to shine while not turning MM into a jobber. I liked his underground base in the new 52 but I'm open to other ideas. I'd also like for him to be atleast a few thousand years old so he'd have long running relationships with beings like high father, the Guardians of the universe, the gods, Kryptonian leaders etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.