Follow

Martian Manhunter

Character » Martian Manhunter appears in 3662 issues.

Sole survivor of the Martian people, J'onn J'onzz was teleported to Earth decades ago by Dr. Saul Erdel. Since then, he has adopted Earth as his new home, playing many roles over his time with humanity: detective, secret agent, explorer, and even a founding member of the Justice League.

Is MM the strongest character on DC Earth (New 52)?

• 64 results
    ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@deadpool said:

@comicstooge said:

@deadpool said:

I hate how absurdly powerful Martian Manhunter is for absolutely no reason other than he's not human and writers could give him any powers they want by just saying "It's 'cus he's an alien." He's like a 5 year old's wish fulfillment. "I'm a 7 foot muscular alien with advanced intelligence, Superman-level strength, super speed, super stamina, invulnerability, rapid healing, longevity, flight, heat vision, x-ray vision, ice breath, sonic scream, telepathy, psionic blasts, telekinesis, shapeshifting, intangibility, invisibility, and 9 senses."

There's also the implication that ALL martians have the same innate abilities as he does. How were they wiped out?

He should just have telepathy, shapeshifting, intangibility, and flight. He could have a limited form of super-strength and endurance depending on his transformations. He could also perhaps have a form of invisibility, either as a chameleon camouflage-type ability utilizing his shapeshifting, or perhaps as a telepathic trick so others just aren't able to perceive him.

They got wiped out because there was a virus specifically made to wipe them out.

Isn't that the new story?

There's also still the problem of how absurdly powerful he is.

It's not much of a problem, really. He still goes up against credible threats that can hurt or kill him, same as any character.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes and no i still say wonderwoman and hal are but then agin i consider all 3 of them the same

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm not sure it matters since the OP said DC earth but I'll put it out there. MM was thrashed by Atrocitus and even had teammates to back him up.

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's most likely top 3, if not top 5. But, the most powerful, not to keen on making a statement like that. He's the most powerful I've seen so far though barring Captain Atom and Kyle.

CIN.

bobthened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcn24454:

hulk beat sentry absorbing man beat hulk so does that mean absorbing man can beat sentry? HA! fail logic is fail

ha wrong thread

bobthened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemoreposter: superman is not the most powerful, he is just the poster boy....... like batman is for street level heroes

superhero139

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They kind of needed to make him powerful.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superhero139:

Need to make him powerful!?... That's quite the understatement.

He's so powerful right now that I've lost almost all interest in him. He's so OP that it's a wonder he even has anyone that can stand up to him.

First of all he shouldn't be made to have so many powers like Superman and at Superman level.

And second he should have a better origin story. Everytime I try to wrap my head around how a species that was already so powerful in their own planet, became almost extinct in the first place. It's not like martian sand acts like gold kryptonite and strips a martian from his or her powers. The powers they have they are born with them and they come from... well... Nowhere, actually. If there was only green martians I'd say that they got their powers from the green emotional spectrum, only it was adapted to their physiology. But seeing there's white and red martians now. Who the heck knows. And to me that's another problem.

A character so powerful, has basically no weaknesses at this point and gets his powers from whatever, doesn't suit well for me.

Even when DC came up with the story of The Burning. Even then I thought it was far fetched, but at least he had one weakness. Now... he has none.

KHAOSeater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty sure Captain Atom is the most powerful. In about 15 total issues, he's showed atomic manipulation, matter transfusion, MFTL speed and reflexes casually (he had an entire conversation with flash in 2 or 3 microseconds and flew to the edge of the universe on MAYBE a few minutes at the absolute highest), time travel, healing (he healed a kids terminal brain cancer and a woman's hand that had all of her skin and a decent amount of muscle burned off purely because she touched him, accidently giving her powers that included flight, energy manipulation and absorption, and healing with possible extended longevity at the very least as a result of said healing 20 years down the road where she looked essentially exactly the same), the ability to reconstruct himself from nothing, phasing, invisibility, size manipulation, energy absorption and projection of course, nigh omnipresence and ability make himself exist multiple places once, accidental reality warping, time space manipulation, and the ability to f*$k with the speed force. While Martian Manhunter was able to use telepathy on him, he required a distraction and physical contact to get it to work and even then, Cap was aware of what was going on by accepted the situation anyway. Pretty sure Captain Atom is well above both of them.

ragnarokr581

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khaoseater: Mad Respect for Captain Atom, but Kyle Rayner is the most powerful hero in New 52-DCNYou-Rebirth. Not only does he have the mastery of the entire emotional spectrum, he also controls the power of the Life Equation. The life equation is the power that The Presence uses to control the Multiverse. Therefore Kyle Rayner=The Presence.

KHAOSeater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By KHAOSeater

@ragnarokr581: I didn't know that. Still, that brings up whether or not Captain Atom is a living being. Also, you could argue that Cap could absorb nearly everything ion would throw at him. Ion might be stronger than him, but Captain Atom is just so diverse that just one of his abilities would be game breaking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63
    deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By strongest if you tried to mean Most Powerful, Yes. By strongest from strength, no but he is close at the top.

Avatar image for deactivated-642516d22f522
    deactivated-642516d22f522

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Pretty sure guys like Darkseid and Spectre are stronger.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.