A rip off of Aquaman!

#1 Edited by misterz173 (598 posts) - - Show Bio

Marineman looks exactly like Aquaman, with some of the same abilities.  Is this a coincidence? I think not! Image Comics got their idea for Marineman from DC Comics! What a Rip Off1 At least the Sub-Mariner has some differences! This on looks like an exact copy.

Marineman 
Marineman 

Aquaman 
Aquaman 

#2 Edited by Nova`Prime` (4172 posts) - - Show Bio

Who cares? Is it really hurting you? Is Image comics stealing money from you? Are they putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it? I believe all the answers are No

And Namor should not be brought into a conversation about a "rip off" of Aquaman when Aquaman is just a "rip off" of Namor.

#3 Posted by CellphoneGirl (19119 posts) - - Show Bio

That is a complete fail for them to make the two that similar, but i have to agree with Nova Prime here :P lol

#4 Posted by DH69 (4324 posts) - - Show Bio

lol another fish dude...why the **** did they even bother. Namor is the aquaman of the marvel universe and Aquaman is the...well something incredibly lame and pathetic of the DC universe

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29886 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor was made before Aquaman, dude. LOL

#6 Edited by ShadowSilver (453 posts) - - Show Bio

Namor is better.

#7 Posted by coolbeans (250 posts) - - Show Bio

Fun fact: Namor made his debut in 1939, a couple of years before Aquaman. 

As for the Marineman deal, the character has obvious similarities, but it's a new twist on that type of character.  Comics do this all the time because almost everything you can think of has been done before, so you have to put a twist on something that already exists.
#8 Posted by PowerHerc (86188 posts) - - Show Bio

A comic character got ripped-off?  No! (saracsm.)

Happens all the time.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

Well at least he is not king of Atlantis and he has echolocation so its not a total copy

#10 Edited by nightwing91 (3893 posts) - - Show Bio

Well that's the point of Marineman, Ian Churchhill if I remember correctly said he drew superheroes as a kid that were basically a direct rip off of famous heroes, marine man is a rip off of Aquaman, want that's part of the fun.

It's a rip off, no need to get upset over it, just look at all of the superman clones out there.

Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
#11 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (685 posts) - - Show Bio

I would so love to hear the theme song for this guy?

Marine Man! ^%#$ Yeah, coming again to save the mutha%#^ing whales, Yeah!

#12 Posted by Kairan1979 (26904 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by NightFang3 (12362 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:
"A comic character got ripped-off? No! (saracsm.) Happens all the time."
#14 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38932 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:
"

A comic character got ripped-off?  No! (saracsm.)

Happens all the time.

"
This
#15 Edited by Brit (419 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime` said:

Who cares? Is it really hurting you? Is Image comics stealing money from you? Are they putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it? I believe all the answers are No.

so true. no one cares! its better than the original...
#16 Posted by Billy Batson (60823 posts) - - Show Bio

it's a rip-off of a rip-off (but the first rip-off is better than the original :p )

#17 Posted by ReVamp (23014 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

it's a rip-off of a rip-off (but the first rip-off is better than the original :p )

Aquaman ain't a rip off lol. Just cause aquaman and namor are both atlanteans don't mean they're both rip offs.
#18 Posted by Tunbot (19 posts) - - Show Bio

@revamp: aquaman first origin was the same as namor origin and he power is the same as namor too.but aquaman didnt have the look and pesonality of namor.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.