Follow

Mandarin

Character » Mandarin appears in 537 issues.

The Mandarin is the arch enemy of Iron Man. A remarkable genius with both earthly and extraterrestrial technology, the Mandarin is also an exceptional athlete, swordsman, and martial artist.

In your opinion is mandarin a Tech Villain or a magic Villain?

InnerIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By InnerIronMan
    Tem Borjigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Tem Borjigin

He's neither. Fundamentally he's an opportunistic predator. The kind of person who will steal a bit of tech there, con an old man on a mountain into teaching him Chi tricks here, steal an ancient scroll from a tomb there, and so forth. He's a Frankenstien monster of various paths of power.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

He falls into the that same dodgy category as Abra Kadabra and Mxyzptlk.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Caligula

I'd say he is an intellectual villain. more than either of the two options listed.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By CATPANEXE

Of the two, he's relied more heavily and predominantly on technology. I think he doesn't even necessarily see them as any different, whereas magic is just a science, a fairly
    established reasoning in the Marvel Universe anyways.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Well originally his rings themselves were established as magic, setting up a nice dichotomy of magic vs technology. Later they retconned it that it was Malkun technology from Fin Fang Foom's ship. 
    But his last really grand scale plan involved using an object of vaguely mystical origin called the Heart of Darkness to knock out Earth's technology. But of late he's turned to more tech based pursuits.  
    Such as his attempted release of the Extremis virus in aerosol form. 

So I have to agree with Tem on this one. He seems to have hit the nail on the head.

OmegaHans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By OmegaHans

He's an architect. I have always seen Mandy as more of a tech villain, just unique in the way he is not strictly tech like his No. # 1. antagonist Iron Man, because a lot of times he prefers not to use it all the time because he's a high level martial artist. His rings are alien tech with magical elements, but they're still tech, and he's spent years learning all about the alien science for its usage.

He ranks insanely high in genius I.Q., as he's the only human who is the most expert on Fin Fang Foom's race's and owned his own starbase, castles in China, and ran the Prometheus weapons company.

He seems to be particularly good at designing assault weapons and security devices. He designed a high tech Interceptor Ray during the Vietnam War.

Tem Borjigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a good case could be made for him being a money villain. He seems able to trivially spend hundreds of billions of dollars building giant robo-dragons, assembling armies, building huge numbers of missiles full of extremis, stealing magical items, and training himself into an evil Iron Fist type. He's the sort of guy for whom money is itself a power, since he can buy any other source, be it tech or magic or chi-amping martial arts training.

ZhangThong12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ZhangThong12

I think a good case could be made for him being a money villain

No, it's not true. In fact, it's completely false. Mandarin throughout his history was haunting a different goals and agendas, but none of it has anything to do with materialistic desires. The Mandarin have always personified the severe philosophical ideals of the east. Philosophies of the east are all about wisdom and honor, not materialism. Mandarin is all about wisdom and severity. He is fascinated with the philosophy of Yin and Yang, individual anarchism, supremacy, art of war, etc. He doesn't care for money. In fact, he's against the idea that materialism should prevail above the ideals and individuality of the individual. Mandarin wants to conquer the world not because he needs money, since he has plenty of them. He is corrupted by the idea that the world is broken and it needs radical fixing. It's his whole paradigm and mindset.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's both. However, he mainly uses Makkluan based technology to create inventions and weapons. His rings are confirmed to be magical in nature by Malekith.

Tem Borjigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a good case could be made for him being a money villain

No, it's not true. In fact, it's completely false. Mandarin throughout his history was haunting a different goals and agendas, but none of it has anything to do with materialistic desires.

You misunderstand me. By money villain I don't mean that he's greedy. Rather, I mean that money is one of his main superpowers. Whereas an inventor villain is poor until he uses his inventions to steal. A wizard villain is poor until he uses his magic to steal. The Mandarin, on the other hand, seems to make incredible amounts of money off-screen. He owned, what was it, 600 companies in the Knauf's story? He's the kind of villain who is such a financial genius that his schemes don't even revolve around gaining it. Instead he does it casually, effortlessly, off-screen, and then uses that wealth to gain other things, like kidnapping scientists to invent the Dragon of Heaven, and then building that to their specifications. Or getting a magic item like the Eye of Yin.

In other words, he's the kind of character who will spend a fortune getting training in chi-channeling mysticism one day, spend another fortune getting a scientist with a great invention under his thumb the next day, spend yet another fortune acquiring a powerful magic item from an archeological site the day after that, and then spend yet another fortune hiring and equipping a conventional army the day after that, and never even give it a second thought, because he's just that damned good at making money.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.