Follow

Man of Steel

Movie » Man of Steel released on June 14, 2013.

Reboot of the Superman movie franchise and the beginning of the DC Extended Universe, with Henry Cavill as the man of steel. Directed by Zack Snyder, of 300 and Watchmen fame. Written by David Goyer and Christopher Nolan, director of The Dark Knight Trilogy.

'Man of Steel' Review

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@flameboy298: Pretty sure everyone for the most part knows of my hate toward Rotten Tomatoes.

I agree. If I had to take ANY review, I'd take it from comic book fans. However, I'll still wait to make my own judgment. Can't wait!

I know I'm shooting at the dark, but ANY kind of Lobo hinting at all in this movie?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#102 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@muyjingo: Hah. All I'll say is none of those bullet points were negatives to me or I don't entirely agree with them. To say any more dives into spoilers, honestly. And when it comes to my personal gripes with the film, they deal with certain plot points which I won't discuss.

@snarkybits: Thank you!

There's been so many bad reviews. But this review gave me Hope. Thank you for that.

You're welcome. Hopefully you'll agree!

Biggest question is, is there any lead in to the DCU movie verse? Any other characters mentioned or seen?

Yes. You see Wayne's logo on a satellite and a Lexcorp logo on a truck. I've heard there's a mention of Star Labs as well, but I must have missed that.

@k4tzm4n you forgot to mention Kevin Costner's Jonathan Kent and Antje Traue's Faora! Costner did a stellar performance and Faora was really antagonizing and menacing considering she's just a supporting villain.

I didn't forget -- I just focused on the big three (or at least the big three IMHO). I did say everyone else does a more than able job, though... and yes, that certainly includes those two ;)

Anyway, it's clear you've seen the film. what do you think overall?

@the_mast said:

This is getting incredibly polarising reviews.

Even the positive ones can't even escape handicapping their compliments. It's always a bad sign when even the compliments say, "Despite flaws..." or "Even though it...". I'm concerned.

Understandable, but I don't think that's the case with my review. After all, I mention "small problems" I have with the film, and I think it's safe to say no one will claim this is a flawless piece of work. Additionally, I can't dive into those because they're surrounding plot points and naturally, this is spoiler-free.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, is Lex actually played/seen in this movie? Or just hinted at?

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#104  Edited By lifeboy

I want to know about the lead up to the JLA movie...

Dark Cloud™

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Dark Cloud™

I'm not a huge Superman fan, so I won't go see it expecting a great movie. I'll save my enthusiasm til then. What I do like so far is his suit sporting the New52 look. No red panties on the outside, please.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#106  Edited By fables87

I want to see this so bad now!

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Definitely seeing this on Friday! And screw those guys on Rotten Tomatoes. Just a bunch of morons who refuse to accept that the Silver Age is over and done with.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash: ive been thinking that this whole time but chances it will be

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I'm hoping I enjoy this as much as you did; the MOS has an entire cinematic universe banking on him right now. Here's hoping it's nothing like DKR, positive reviews and bone crushing disappointment after watching it.

Definitely seeing this on Friday! And screw those guys on Rotten Tomatoes. Just a bunch of morons who refuse to accept that the Silver Age is over and done with.

Even positive reviews (or 'fresh' in the case of RT) are mentioning the film has it's flaws - it's fair to say the opinions of negative reviewers aren't entirely unjustified. Either way it shouldn't matter, the final verdict in reviews are arbitrary - - - - as in those numbers / stars / whatever are only relevant for their reviewer themselves - it's up to each individual member of the audience to come up with a final verdict of whether they enjoyed the film or not.

The Skinny: It's all subjective, don't get worked up over it.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298:

Pretty sure everyone for the most part knows of my hate toward Rotten Tomatoes.

I agree. If I had to take ANY review, I'd take it from comic book fans. However, I'll still wait to make my own judgment. Can't wait!

I know I'm shooting at the dark, but ANY kind of Lobo hinting at all in this movie?

Im not sure about Lobo right now,maybe in the foreseeable future.However I heard their are acouple easter eggs in the movie,Im hoping at the end of the Man of Steel sequel will link to JL.But they still could do stand alone movies sense obviously Batman exist's in this universe sense his satetilite(A.K.A. Bruce Wayne) was blown to bits.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@flameboy298
    I was shooting at the stars with Lobo. I had my doubts anyway. I'm still hoping he at least gets some kind of nod, or cameo in a Justice League movie. Really do hope so.

blastaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By blastaar

My God. This is going to be awesome.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#113  Edited By xxxddd

Going to see it Friday.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@k4tzm4n said:

@rustyroy: Thank you.

The character's last name is never revealed -- they just call her 'Jenny.' And yes :)

Does she die? Cause I really want Jimmy to show up in a sequel.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I m so jelly right now :P

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By CODYSF
    No Caption Provided

The King is back

Sylvain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Sylvain
    @k4tzm4n said:

@sylvain said:

@k4tzm4n: Yeah yeah yeah what next Iron Man 3 deserves a 5stars? .....i alway knew Iron Man 3 would not be a great movie and this is why i didnt see it in the theaters.You dont need to see the movie to know what its worth (approximately).

Actually, I gave it 4 stars. Anything else you'd like to assume?

4/5 for Iron man 3?

No Caption Provided

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@sylvain: I get you don't like it, but to think it's ridiculous someone else does is... well, ridiculous and narrow minded. It's not like we're talking about a Uwe Boll film. It has a 78% on Rotten Tomatoes and is subject to heavy debate for a reason.

Also, you have over a thousand posts so you should be more than aware of the rules regarding cursing. Please edit that image out.

Sylvain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@sylvain: I get you don't like it, but to think it's ridiculous someone else does is... well, ridiculous and narrow minded. It's not like we're talking about a Uwe Boll film. It has a 78% on Rotten Tomatoes and is subject to heavy debate for a reason.

Also, you have over a thousand posts so you should be more than aware of the rules regarding cursing. Please edit that image out.

Its deserve a 3.5 at most.

Lol i'm aware but i find ridiculous that we cant use an simple meme its not like i called you names.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@sylvain said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Lol i'm aware but i find ridiculous that we cant use an simple meme its not like i called you names.

In your opinion. Also, can't use half stars in our reviews.

If you're aware of the rules regarding cursing, you wouldn't try to justify it and just edit the post. It uses a word that's clearly against the rules -- it's as simple as that, man.

Sylvain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Sylvain

@k4tzm4n said:

@sylvain said:

@k4tzm4n said:

If you're aware of the rules regarding cursing, you wouldn't try to justify it and just edit the post. It uses a word that's clearly against the rules -- it's as simple as that, man.

i know but i wont follow a silly rule.I dont care isnt that simple( if i canget bannedforthis than lets it be)?Lol.....This said i didnt know that you couldnt use half stars in your reviews,is there any reason for this?

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By IcePrince_X

I have watched it and though it is good... there are some new approaches in the film that alienates certain people while watching it.

But my biggest gripe is the destruction of the City scene, it was abit too much and what is frustrating is the consistency of the destruction and ala Godzilla fight scene. I can't believe that the film editor/director let those scenes slide. I want to go on detail but I don't wait to deter other people of blow by blow account.

I do commend the change of costume and the creation of the Superman mythos...if this is an origin movie for future ones to come...they got it all right.

I just don't agree that Superman vs General Zod tops the Avengers Fight scene.

3 out of 5 for me.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@sylvain said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@sylvain said:

@k4tzm4n said:

i know but i wont follow a silly rule.I dont care isnt that simple( if i canget bannedforthis than lets it be)?Lol.....This said i didnt know that you couldnt use half stars in your reviews,is there any reason for this?

Well, you kind of agree to them when you sign up. So just do yourself a favor and try not to post curse words that are clearly against the rules.

Sylvain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Sylvain
    @k4tzm4n said:

@sylvain said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@sylvain said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Well, you kind of agree to them when you sign up. So just do yourself a favor and try not to post curse words that are clearly against the rules.

Do myself a favor?....Ahah.You still didnt answered my question what does it means you are ignoring it or there is none reason?

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#125  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@k4tzm4n: I'm not a Superman fan at all, but this review coupled with already mild curiosity has made me want to see this. Kudos sir, your review (both comic and now movie) are always good. Now I need to find a way to convince my wife to see it. She really doesn't like Superman.

Jason_X22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Thank you for the review! now im gonna go get my tix asap!

fartvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By fartvader

@k4tzm4n Yes, I saw it yesterday. Over all, I loved it.

Snyder and Goyer did a wonderful job at fleshing out the mythos. The general movie goers would never feel left out.

I loved how the movie didn't just focus on Superman being the only hero. The fact that Pentagon and the US Army are giving their best shot despite their huge disadvantage against the 'invaders' is very respectful to the military. But I'm not sure if any other CBMs have used them in as honest and respectful way as Man of Steel did?

I loved that the movie is like a love letter to parents. I hate that people are ranting about Cavill's Clark saying that he's too serious and a man of few words. In a way, he is. But the Clark that we know and love in the comics is easily seen in the actions and choices Cavill's Clark made in the movie. He is raised by the Kents and that is what Cavill showed.

It was also fun. There were plenty moments that had me grinning and chuckling. There were maybe times in the cinema when I chuckled alone but that would be probably because of the bad acoustics of the cinema.

Man of Steel is NOT a perfect CBM. It has flaws (little flaws). But it's a movie you would want to see if you're seeking for SUBSTANCE and action. OMG THE ACTION!

(sorry if i had to post this, maybe it could help if others read it lol)

@lordraiden said:

So, is Lex actually played/seen in this movie? Or just hinted at?

I think there's none. There's no post credit scene on my screening. But hey there's the LexCorp tower.

Bud_El

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Bud_El

I'm gonna cry if it's good and I'm gonna cry if it's bad. Hopefully it's as good as the reviews say.

fartvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By fartvader

I have watched it and though it is good... there are some new approaches in the film that alienates certain people while watching it.

But my biggest gripe is the destruction of the City scene, it was abit too much and what is frustrating is the consistency of the destruction and ala Godzilla fight scene. I can't believe that the film editor/director let those scenes slide. I want to go on detail but I don't wait to deter other people of blow by blow account.

I do commend the change of costume and the creation of the Superman mythos...if this is an origin movie for future ones to come...they got it all right.

3 out of 5 for me.

I took that scene as a sub plot for the sequel. Lex Luthor would help Metropolis and grab that opportunity to steal the spotlight that is on Superman. And maybe we should not think too deeply into it, I mean we dont know what's in store for us for the upcoming sequel, right? Maybe they have plans for it. THEY HAVE PLANS FOR IT.

Superman-Zod fight scene VS Avengers fight scene? You kidding? Supeman-Zod fight scene tops it on many levels!

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#130  Edited By turoksonofstone

5 out of 5 stars? No one will identify with how Zod is dealt with. IMO.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@fartvader: Happy you loved it!

@k4tzm4n: Thank you for the review! now im gonna go get my tix asap!

You're very welcome and hopefully you'll enjoy it!

@k4tzm4n: I'm not a Superman fan at all, but this review coupled with already mild curiosity has made me want to see this. Kudos sir, your review (both comic and now movie) are always good. Now I need to find a way to convince my wife to see it. She really doesn't like Superman.

Hey, that's really kind of you. Thank you and best of luck convincing your wife!

MyronLee26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently at 62% on Rotten Tomatoes. Many of the reviews, even the Fresh ones, were pretty meh about it.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok I will definitely have to see it now. For someone to say that the action scenes in Man of Steel are better than the scenes in Avengers, and that overall it beats the Avengers for "best comic book film" is a pretty huge claim. Even if it is as good as you say I don't think I could say it would top Avengers as what I consider "best comic book film," but might be equal to Avengers simply because Captain America is my favorite comic book character of all time while Superman is like my third favorite comic book character of all time.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@vandinejd_1991: Well, it's subjective. At the end of the day, The Avengers' team dynamic, fan service and comedic nature may still win you over. At the very least I hope you enjoy it!

fartvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By fartvader

@myronlee26 said:

Currently at 62% on Rotten Tomatoes. Many of the reviews, even the Fresh ones, were pretty meh about it.

And Iron Man 3 got what? 80% on Rotten Tomatoes? RT is probably full of women who love chick flicks and mothers who have a crush on RDJ and wants a movie for their kids. Lets not get blinded with these ratings. See it yourself and have a sound judgement. Lets not downplay any of these CBMs. Lets just be happy that we are getting CBMs, after all we are all fanboys/girls here. (sorry for the rant, RT just infuriates me.)

@k4tzm4n you gave IM3 a 4/5? @sylvain and you a 5/5?

Dude, I gave it a 3/5. The only thing going on in that movie is RDJ. I hated that they downplayed and made Mandarin a trigger switch for Killian (who is not scary and antagonizing at all). I hated the fact that Tony has a lot of suits but keeps on wearing that new/failey one. Ugh

But that's just me. I read your review Gregg and you made plenty good points.

Avatar image for darklydreamingdeadpool
    DarklyDreamingDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm honestly pissed, that i have to wait till the 19th, to see the preview.

MyronLee26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By MyronLee26

@fartvader: well, even alot of the more known YouTube reviewers as well as top critics and various sites gave it a meh review, saying that its too much action, but that's the epitome of Zack Snyder's directorial career......sacrificing pacing, character or plot development for the sake of overuse of CGI and visual spectacles.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Movie will Kill the Competition that is certain lol.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I lied. My body was not ready.

@k4tzm4n: Which would you say was you favorite moment overall?

hazmat103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By hazmat103

Can't wait to see it. Looks great.

d0npierre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By d0npierre

They damn well better make it work this time.... Marvel's been making it work for years

I wanna see crisis on infinite earths, or some other epic story line on the big screen...

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not going to go further comparing the fight scenes of the two movies...its a case of personal preference, I guess and I do respect that.

But on the destruction scene, there were alot of inconsistency in the sequence and even the magnitude of the destruction. In an impact made by the ___________ and the never-ending _____________ when the two hit each other. Trust me, its a detail that they missed out in about 2 to 4 scenes.

Don't get me wrong, Man of Steel delivered what they need to and a sequel maybe around the corner because this is way better than the first attempt of reviving Superman.

@iceprince_x said:

3 out of 5 for me.

I took that scene as a sub plot for the sequel. Lex Luthor would help Metropolis and grab that opportunity to steal the spotlight that is on Superman. And maybe we should not think too deeply into it, I mean we dont know what's in store for us for the upcoming sequel, right? Maybe they have plans for it. THEY HAVE PLANS FOR IT.

Superman-Zod fight scene VS Avengers fight scene? You kidding? Supeman-Zod fight scene tops it on many levels!

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iceprince_x: What were the major pros and cons of the movie?

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By turoksonofstone

http://25.media.tumblr.com/8dbab3e778a9343a69d51a9e322a53ba/tumblr_mn7f3qNdaJ1r1fm0bo1_400.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/8dbab3e778a9343a69d51a9e322a53ba/tumblr_mn7f3qNdaJ1r1fm0bo1_400.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/8dbab3e778a9343a69d51a9e322a53ba/tumblr_mn7f3qNdaJ1r1fm0bo1_400.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/8dbab3e778a9343a69d51a9e322a53ba/tumblr_mn7f3qNdaJ1r1fm0bo1_400.gif

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great to hear this but how this can be a 5 star film? Seriously. Come on. It's divided critics a lot...and even those who love it do see flaws for example little romantic chemistry between Lois and Superman and making their hook up rushed and forced.

Blacharrt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys really do hand out five stars like tic tacs. I have read a lot of reviews on it, and it averages around 3 out of 5.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys should see the movie and not let other people dictate what you should watch and not watch. If you don't like it, that's fine. If you do cool. But at least watch it before you come to conclusion, since about 80% of the negative reviews are coming from people who love the Donner films and were expecting to see Christopher Reeves Superman in it.

JediWaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only saw one easter egg! I'm definitely watching it again (it was FANTASTIC) so i'll be on the lookout for more.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#150  Edited By Zeeguy91

@blacharrt1: yeah, because the reviewers on this site are actually real people. They have regular tastes like you and me. Meanwhile, the reviewers on RT are mostly stuck up, elitist types. They rip apart a lot of good movies that regular people would probably like. If you also look on RT, it states that 82% of users liked it and on a lot of the sites that have reviews, at least the ones that allow users to rate things, the users give it high marks. Don't be brainwashed by that elitist culture of Hollywood snobs. See it yourself and make up your own mind.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.