Laurence Fishburne is the New Perry White in Man of Steel

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#251  Edited By The_Ghostshell
@BransonHuggins: Watch the F'Bombs. Thanks.
Justize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#252  Edited By Justize

Where people of all color voice their inner racism. It's just too fun looking at these posts. 13 pages?? Wow, I wonder how many pages this thread will have until people eventually give up.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#253  Edited By Caligula
@Justize said:
@Caligula: Well, it didn't need to be finished. It was fine the way it was, ass!
clearly it did or I wouldn't have completed it for you.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By Caligula
@Justize said:

Where people of all color voice their inner racism. It's just too fun looking at these posts. 13 pages?? Wow, I wonder how many pages this thread will have until people eventually give up.
yeah it's racism to want a White character to be White.

Despite my earlier saying that Larry is fine, but the change is pointless. It's not the actor. it the pointless race change.
Justize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By Justize
@Caligula: Maybe its because you're an ass. An ass tends to do that!
Justize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By Justize
@Caligula: Exactly, I'm glad you understand!
Dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#257  Edited By Dernman
@cascadeking09: I thought you made a comparison with rocky maybe I read wrong.  Now your do you jump to such a big conclusion as that. Why just because i dont agree with you. I was going on basics but him being white is just as basic as him being old.  You act like the change of a race is equal to a inch in height.
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#258  Edited By The_Ghostshell
@Justize: Really no need for name calling. Perhaps its best to simply walk away from the thread for awhile, cool off a bit.
cdeoleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By cdeoleo
@Dernman said:
@cdeoleo:  Here is the ignorance of someone who can't see past the wall of racial witch hunting. Never once have have i said anything that even hinted that I don't want diversity. I never said they couldn't add divers characters not once I even suggested it several  times DId you actualy read anything I wrote. Or was your mind already made up before you posted because I didn't agree with the decision. Nothing was ever said let alone suggested that a black man couldn't be an editor and chief. Not wanting them to change a character doesn't equal not wanting more new diverse characters   I say 2 + 2 = 4 but your saying i say 5 The thought that they wouldn't hire someone non white because we want them to stick the descriptions is the hight of ignorance and stupidity.   I put just as much importance about not changing a non white character. There is something seriously wrong with you the way throw these unfounded accusations around with no basis in what i wrote here today. You don't know me you didn't bother to even read what was written. So what makes you think your attack isn't in anyway prejudiced against us.   Tell me how is adding a character instead of changing a character in anyway excluding you. Go ahead tell me.
Your right I do not know you. I agree with you there should be more diverse characters, new characters written by great creators. Thats another issue. Here we have a good actor chosen to play a role in a comic book movie. This actor happens to be black and you disagree because the original character is white. Now does the fact that perry is black in the movie change him in any real way. He can still say something about Truth, Justice and the American way, he can still be a EIC at a newspaper, He can tell Clark Kent or Ms. Lane to get to a story quickly. So Perry white's role will still be intact even if he is black. so tell me why do you disagree?
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#260  Edited By Primmaster64

Jesus...WTH is wrong with you people? Just enjoy the news.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#261  Edited By longbowhunter

I read this news last night. At first I thought Fishburn an odd choice. On reexamination, he's a seasoned actor who is roughly the same age as Perry White. Good enough for me. He'll be great.  

I agree with Caligula up top though. Why no John Henry Irons? Superman has a great supporting cast. Show more of them in the movies please!
cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#262  Edited By cascadeking09
@Dernman said:
@cascadeking09: I thought you made a comparison with rocky maybe I read wrong.  Now your do you jump to such a big conclusion as that. Why just because i dont agree with you. I was going on basics but him being white is just as basic as him being old.  You act like the change of a race is equal to a in height.
I did I was saying that Stallone is an example of another person who looks nothing like the character that he was playing nor do the two people that Rocky was based on look like each other. I'm not accusing you of anything I'm just saying it seems that way, there are certain features I can see that Fishburne has in common with the character. I didn't say race was equal to the importance of height, but you will always be able to find things that don't match up with just about any character.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By Caligula
@Primmaster64 said:
Jesus...WTH is wrong with you people? Just enjoy the news.
lol
Avatar image for marshal_victory
Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By Marshal Victory
@Godot
no clue that was off top of my head.I try very hard not to break every thing down as we dont have enuff of x or y.But theirs plenty if one looks around .X-force has had varous stages. hell any of the x books actualy. http://www.comicvine.com/howling-commandos/65-32653/ would be one people point at in cap movie but forget they were very diverse even back in the day. 

http://www.comicvine.com/the-authority/65-40399/ springs to mind now ./shrug  like i said i try not to look at things as omg we dont have enuff of ( fill in minority here) in comics omg! 

People are people same as the in real life ,most dont act human about things. 

The diference between ultiamate spider man an this is that was a obvious last gasp at saveing the series.Many other posters who say their minoritys on other sites see it as such.An it feels insulting to some the way its marketed. instead of building up the character makeing it a mystery an gaining suport then reveal  its " hey everybody new um spidermans black/hispanic! "comes off bad. 

Where as with this role in the movie the character has always been white.in comics, cartoons ,tv series, But i bet in the ne Dcu52 scaddo ultimate final crisis zero thingy they will remake him to look just like the actor. An they would do that why?Cough the lawsuit cough.

Actualy id hate to guess a % because what one sees as diveristy others dont.
BransonHuggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By BransonHuggins
@Caligula: you are right, there are a lot of whit people in Africa.  BUT is that the predominant race?  NO, not at all.  In fact, there was a thing called the apartheid that caused a lot of problems, and was caused by the WHITES IN AFRICA.  Come on dude, you have no point to really make, let's be real about it.  No, the Black Panther could not have been played by anyone else, it would make no sense.  Perry White is a freaking editor of a newspaper, it doesn't matter what race he is, as long as the character acts like the character.  There aren't any really well known White African kings, sorry, there aren't.  And you are right, there are more White Kings then any others, guess why that is?  Hell, I don't believe that even justifies an answer to be honest.  I am white, but I'm not stupid.  Whites were the ruling class for years because they forced themselves into that position.  Raped, pillaged, and took what we wanted, and then made sure that history showed it a different way.  

But seriously, if you are going to get fucking pissy about this, then why not get pissy about all the times white people play other races.  Oh, she's actually Canadian, but she looks close to Asian so fuck it, have her play Chun Li or the numerous other times that white actors/actressess have been chosen to play other races they are not.  What about the Indians that get cast as Mexicans or the Koreans that get cast as Chinese.  Guess what, that's different races.  But is anyone pissed about that.  Fuck no.  It's all about this because he is black, ,and Perry has been white for years.  Get over it, it's a  non issue.  And if it is an issue to you IN ANY WAY, you can tell yourself all you want, that it's not, but it is.  there isn't a person alive with a brain that will tell you it's NOT about racism, it is.  It doesn't matter what color he is, as long as he is true to character, that's all that matters.  

Nick Fury, that's all I have to say.  no one gives a shit, why because it's still true to character. Get over it.  If you don't like it, don't watch it, and if it is that much of an issue, then boycott it.  Go write a thread all about how you hate it or whatever, but don't pretend it's something it's not.
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#266  Edited By Primmaster64
@Caligula: Though....could you imagine a Asian Perry White?
Dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By Dernman
@BransonHuggins: Let me ask you a question. Why can't you see that my argument is based on whether to stick with the discription material on not to stick with the material.
Your the one whos argument is based on race.

You may think that detail of a story isn't important but I do. Whats the point of using a character if your not going to use that  character. If you dont use the description then your not writting about him your writting about someone else.
Batmanclone152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By Batmanclone152
@Marshal Victory said:
@Caligula said:

@cascadeking09 said:

In case I'm not being clear enough changing a character's race is WRONG if the change is only to add another character of a certain race, but there isn't anything wrong with casting the right actor for the right role. Perry's character doesn't revolve around being a caucasian american. His role is editor and chief of the daily planet, he's not even the most important character in the movie so I don't see any reason for his race being brought up at all.

what's wrong with wanting a character to resemble the comic version?

Funny forced diversity causes problems .If people just let things be we would have diversity naturaly.

ROFLMAO!!! did you just seriously use a "if we just don't talk about it.... or do anything about it..... it will just go away" argument? Im sorry that is one of the most hilarious things I have seen all day. How can you set there and seriously believe something like that? 

I guess if we just allowed people to commit crimes, or women to be raped with no consequences, that all would eventually stop too right?

And I loooooooove the "Oh my God!! they changed an unimportant SIDE character in a white superhero film! Then they should change the MAIN character in a Black Superhero Film!" argument. Because changing an unimportant side character is just the same as changing around a main character and people who may have a problem with that are just the same. 

That argument does not correlate at all what so ever.

Never mind the fact that there are 257billion white characters over here and only two black characters over there. I wonder who has more right to be angry? The people who don't like one of the 257billion white(side character at that) changed, or the people who don't like one of only two black MAIN characters being changed around? hmmmmm......
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By ssejllenrad

Relax about the "race" issue people! I hear they're gonna Sammy Sosa him so it's all good... Nyehehehe!

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By Caligula
@Dernman said:
@BransonHuggins: Let me ask you a question. Why can't you see that my argument is based on whether to stick with the discription material on not to stick with the material. Your the one whos argument is based on race.  You may think that detail of a story isn't important but I do. Whats the point of using a character if your not going to use that  character. If you dont use the description then your not writting about him your writting about someone else.
He is just being a troll man. leave him be.

He essentially called, Vance Astro and My Girlfriend Racists (and both of those people are Black) and Neither of the see at as racist, for wanting to stick to the source material. this cat is just a troll.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By Caligula
@BransonHuggins said:
@Caligula: you are right, there are a lot of whit people in Africa.  BUT is that the predominant race?  NO, not at all.  In fact, there was a thing called the apartheid that caused a lot of problems, and was caused by the WHITES IN AFRICA.  Come on dude, you have no point to really make, let's be real about it.  No, the Black Panther could not have been played by anyone else, it would make no sense.  Perry White is a freaking editor of a newspaper, it doesn't matter what race he is, as long as the character acts like the character.  There aren't any really well known White African kings, sorry, there aren't.  And you are right, there are more White Kings then any others, guess why that is?  Hell, I don't believe that even justifies an answer to be honest.  I am white, but I'm not stupid.  Whites were the ruling class for years because they forced themselves into that position.  Raped, pillaged, and took what we wanted, and then made sure that history showed it a different way.    But seriously, if you are going to get fucking pissy about this, then why not get pissy about all the times white people play other races.  Oh, she's actually Canadian, but she looks close to Asian so fuck it, have her play Chun Li or the numerous other times that white actors/actressess have been chosen to play other races they are not.  What about the Indians that get cast as Mexicans or the Koreans that get cast as Chinese.  Guess what, that's different races.  But is anyone pissed about that.  Fuck no.  It's all about this because he is black, ,and Perry has been white for years.  Get over it, it's a  non issue.  And if it is an issue to you IN ANY WAY, you can tell yourself all you want, that it's not, but it is.  there isn't a person alive with a brain that will tell you it's NOT about racism, it is.  It doesn't matter what color he is, as long as he is true to character, that's all that matters.     Nick Fury, that's all I have to say.  no one gives a shit, why because it's still true to character. Get over it.  If you don't like it, don't watch it, and if it is that much of an issue, then boycott it.  Go write a thread all about how you hate it or whatever, but don't pretend it's something it's not.
Also as for Fury, the Movies mostly resemble the Ultimate Comics, and Fury is Black in the Ultimate universe. That's not the case with Perry.
Dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By Dernman
@cdeoleo: OMG You just don't get it. If they wanted to hire a great actor like him whey didn't they create a character for him. Why did he have to be Perry who just so happens to be White.
Why is it so damn important to make a character a different color instead sticking to who he is of creating something new.

If added a character they would have gotten the diversity that is needed and be able to stick to the character which is important. If you don't stick what a character is whats the point of using that character at all.
Batmanclone152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By Batmanclone152
@Marshal Victory said:
@cdeoleo said:

As I keep reading this conversation it just make me more and more sad. Come guys I really thought we were past this, guess I was being naive.  Unless the fans are okay with comics wont ever be diverse, it is apparent from yesterday and today that most fans are not okay with Diversity.

Seriously we wount have diversity an fans arent ok with diversity you say? Lets try this the whole forced diveristy , pandering bs then i hope your right but we have diveristy in comics. 

rember http://www.comicvine.com/night-thrasher/29-2098/  an the New Warriors? no? how about  http://www.comicvine.com/patriot/29-2258/ an http://www.comicvine.com/young-avengers/65-40426/ ? 

wait you missed when http://www.comicvine.com/storm/29-1444/ lead the xmen? 

http://www.comicvine.com/shadowhawk/29-5195/  oh wait did you just mean at dc? 

http://www.comicvine.com/mr-terrific/29-19179/ pre newdcu crisis of infinate zero thngy.. 
http://www.comicvine.com/justice-society-of-america/49-18052/ was pretty diverse 
http://www.comicvine.com/batwoman/29-9052/ 
http://www.comicvine.com/renee-montoya/29-3716/ 
http://www.comicvine.com/teen-titans/65-19081/  an im not even trying hard.  Even the people who run this site is rather diverse./shrug maybe um look around a bit?Just a thought..
Now please kindly direct me in the direction of these character's movies.

oh..... none of them have movies about them you say? No one outside of deep comicbook fans know about any of these characters you say?

The only heroes that actually get any promotion are still white males you say?

hmmm......
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By ssejllenrad
@Primmaster64 said:
@Caligula: Though....could you imagine a Asian Perry White?
George Tekai perhaps? :D
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By ssejllenrad

C'mon everybody! Sing with me!

Dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By Dernman
@cascadeking09: I dont know who he was based of of but If the character Rocky wasn't white then they were wrong to hire Stalone for the part. Now if it was just a type then that would be different but this isn't just about a using a typ and changing the detail to make someone new this is about changing a detail of a character . If another company wanted to use perry white as a model make him whatever race go ahead. That new character would be based off of perry but you wouldn't be changing Perry.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By Caligula

who would of thought a Perry White thread could get so popular, and spark so many debates?

BransonHuggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By BransonHuggins

Lawrence Fishburne is going to be Perry White in the new "darker and edgier" Superman film.  This has caused apperant issues with some of the residence of Comicvine here.  Let's try to get to the bottom of this shall we.  

In the history of comic book cinema liberties have always been taken by movie studios when it comes to casting.  In Daredevil Kingpin was played by a large black man, played by Michael Clark Duncan and Elektra was played by a white American women instead of a Greek/Asian as she is supposed to be.  no one exclaimed anger over this.  

In the X-Men and Wolverine film franchise, Wolverine was played by an Australian, not a Canadian.  Now where as both of these nationalities are white, they are not the same.  I for one don't see why there was no outrage that an Australian dare play a Canadian.

In Christopher Nolans Batman films, Bruce Wayne, an American, is played by a Brit.  No one says anything about this.  

Ghost Rider is played by Nic Cage...everyone is pissed.

In the original Superman films, Lex Luthor was played by Gene Hackman in an obviously over the top role.  No one cared.

In Tim Burtons Batman, liberties were taken with one of the most iconic characters, hell 2 of them Batman and Joker both had there origins changed in order to be tied to one another.  No one cares, it was a good film.  Did it go by the book, sort of, but no, not really.

I think you can see the point I am making here.  Hollywood always does this.  When was the last time you say a comic movie that was even remotely like the book?  Liberties are always taken.  It's the nature of the game.  

Now you have this Superman film, and a black man (run to the hills racist, the end times are here) is playing a character, that other then the fans of the comics for the most part, no one really cares about, nor has a vested interest in, and some individuals are upset about this.  Guess what, Lawrence Fishburne is MUCH MORE WELL KNOWN THEN PERRY WHITE, sorry it's true.  So casting him as the character will probably get more attention to this movie.  Do you think he was chosen for his color?  no.  He was chosen because he was the best for the role.  He represented the character the best. 

Does skin color matter in something like this?  no.  should it?  no.  Why?  because this isn't a major character.  will he play an important role in the film?  Let's be honest, probably not.  he's going to be Clarks boss, that's it.  Will he still be the same character he has always been?  YES, why wouldn't he be?  Because he has a different skin color?  that doesn't make him different in character, just in skin tone.  Sorry, but it's true.

What I am saying is this.  If you are upset about this, then your anger is displace, or you are being racist, or you are just ignorant and are upset just to be upset.  This is not an issue, nor should it be.  The only issue, as comic fans, should be, is this going to be true enough to the comics that we are going to enjoy it?  That's it.  Not, how pissed off can I get about the skin color of a supporting character in the film. 

cdeoleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By cdeoleo
@Dernman: can you answer the question I asked? That is a honest request I am really trying to see things from your perspective so please answer the question I asked it will help me understand your position better.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By Caligula
@BransonHuggins said:
lol

@BransonHuggins said:
  Hollywood always does this.  When was the last time you say a comic movie that was even remotely like the book?  

300 and Watchmen
Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By Marshal Victory
@cdeoleo said:

"Great examples man. I honestly I was not aware that any of this happened, what would I do without you!  No but seriously, how is casting Lawrence Fishburne (a completely solid actor) as perry white forced diversity/pandering and not just choosing an actor based on acting chops?  Even you described being against this decision as "the good fight", which is worrying to say the least.  "

Right so wanting some one to fight the good fight as in not give in an name call is racism to? Lol i say lol. 

Ok so you want Mr . Fishburne since hes "the best one to play" a old white guy role.. . im sure youll show us some evidence you whanted him all for the role prior to the anouncment yesterday? 

Oh an the whole thing about what its kinda important he stays white? well http://www.comicvine.com/perry-white/29-1809/ 
"
After Jerry White died from a gunshot, Perry left the Daily Planet for a period of time. Later on, Perry and Alice adopt an African-American child named Keith Robert, who later changed his name to Keith Robert White. " So um if in the movie hes black um that kinda takes out some of the " diversity" of him adopting a African-American child  now dont it? 

But it will not matter in the long run. Id guess the nuDCU52 sciddo final zero crisis hour thingy will have him looking just like  Lawrence Fishburne .History, charcters back grounds, an well story realy never mattered to warner brothers.  Dont make me link the catwoman movie please!

But on side note why do you belive a character who apeared in 1441 issues as white that it doesnt matter?That its not part of the character an history.I eagerly await your proof you wanted him to play perry white.I get your whole let the best actor get it deal ( which that rarely happens in hollywood) but changeing character history for diveristy only divides people . It does nothing to unite them. 

Also saying their will be no diversity in comics! Then being snide about the easy examples given doenst realy bolster your argument.. 

Dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By Dernman
@BransonHuggins: I'm responding to that one question you asked Caligula like you asked me. YES YES I DO GET UPSET WHEN THEY CHANGE A CHARACTER WHITE WHEN HE IS NOT!. I HATE IT! ITS WRONG! Dand I and if you read what we said you would see that. Do I need to repeat it a few more times for you to see it are you even bothering to take in my words or is it because they dont fit in you perfectly constructed view of the things that your ignoring it. I have many time spoken out against it. Everytime they change a character white I see people speaking out. How can you not see all the it or are you just choosing not to see it
b_el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By b_el

How is wanting a caucasian created character to be played by a caucasian actor being racists. Like many have said I wouldn't want an african-american created character to be played by a caucasian actor. I mean if they wanted to be modern and not use Perry White they should have just replaced him with Franklin Stern one time publisher of the Daily Planet. Then they could have had there pc friendly, modern, edgier, diverse, and comic traditionalist character. That would have been fine by me. Plus it could have built on the anticipation of who will be Perry White in the sequel, if maybe Stern felt like he needed to hire a new editor in chief to help the Planet. Also, it could serve as a way of reintroducing the characters in a new way in this new origin story.

Dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By Dernman
@cdeoleo: What question I'm having trouble keeping up the with the responses and who said what to who.
Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285  Edited By Godot

@Marshal Victory said:

@Godot:
no clue that was off top of my head.I try very hard not to break every thing down as we dont have enuff of x or y.But theirs plenty if one looks around .X-force has had varous stages. hell any of the x books actualy. http://www.comicvine.com/howling-commandos/65-32653/ would be one people point at in cap movie but forget they were very diverse even back in the day.

http://www.comicvine.com/the-authority/65-40399/ springs to mind now ./shrug like i said i try not to look at things as omg we dont have enuff of ( fill in minority here) in comics omg! People are people same as the in real life ,most dont act human about things. The diference between ultiamate spider man an this is that was a obvious last gasp at saveing the series.Many other posters who say their minoritys on other sites see it as such.An it feels insulting to some the way its marketed. instead of building up the character makeing it a mystery an gaining suport then reveal its " hey everybody new um spidermans black/hispanic! "comes off bad. Where as with this role in the movie the character has always been white.in comics, cartoons ,tv series, But i bet in the ne Dcu52 scaddo ultimate final crisis zero thingy they will remake him to look just like the actor. An they would do that why?Cough the lawsuit cough. Actualy id hate to guess a % because what one sees as diveristy others dont.

Sometimes it's just good to check our privilege every so often and actually look at how many minority superheroes there actually are in comic books. When white male is the default superhero make-up, it can become very easy to marginalise or completely omit people outside of the majority. I'd be interested in the actual percentages of this sort of thing; for diversity, I'd say almost anyone outside of being a) straight b) white c) male would count as a check mark. And of course, quality of character is also important, but worrying about that would naturally come later.

As far as Spider-Man is concerned, I thought that the whole point was that it was a character other than Peter Parker? Peter Parker's white, but Spider-Man doesn't have to be. Nothing about Spider-Man is predicated on him actually having white skin! If anything, I'd argue it was the fact that he was a teenager initially that shaped who and what Spider-Man represents: a teenage superhero who wasn't just a sidekick, who had to deal with adolescence at the same time as having superpowers. (obviously 50 years of comics has changed the themes/age of the character somewhat, but this could be seen as a nice return to his roots)

cdeoleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By cdeoleo
@Dernman:  Your right I do not know you. I agree with you there should be more diverse characters, new characters written by great creators. Thats another issue. Here we have a good actor chosen to play a role in a comic book movie. This actor happens to be black and you disagree because the original character is white. Now does the fact that perry is black in the movie change him in any real way. He can still say something about Truth, Justice and the American way, he can still be a EIC at a newspaper, He can tell Clark Kent or Ms. Lane to get to a story quickly. So Perry white's role will still be intact even if he is black. so tell me why do you disagree? 

This is what I said when I asked the question. I understand your logic of a new character created for the movie but would that not create some of the same responses seen here? 
Dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287  Edited By Dernman
@Godot: You can say that there not enough non whites and I will agree with you.

I dont have a problem with the new Spiderman. Ultimate Spiderman was still Peter Parker and nothing about the Spiderman was changed.  Although I'm bummed about not being able to read about him anymore (I found him more entertaining the 616) they haven't changed anything by making this new character.
Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By Marshal Victory
@Batmanclone152 said:

@Marshal Victory said:

@Caligula said:

@cascadeking09 said:

In case I'm not being clear enough changing a character's race is WRONG if the change is only to add another character of a certain race, but there isn't anything wrong with casting the right actor for the right role. Perry's character doesn't revolve around being a caucasian american. His role is editor and chief of the daily planet, he's not even the most important character in the movie so I don't see any reason for his race being brought up at all.

what's wrong with wanting a character to resemble the comic version?

Funny forced diversity causes problems .If people just let things be we would have diversity naturaly.

ROFLMAO!!! did you just seriously use a "if we just don't talk about
it.... or do anything about it..... it will just go away" argument? Im
sorry that is one of the most hilarious things I have seen all day. How
can you set there and seriously believe something like that? 

I guess if we just allowed people to commit crimes, or women to be raped with no consequences, that all would eventually stop too right?

And I loooooooove the "Oh my God!! they changed an unimportant SIDE character in a white superhero film! Then they should change the MAIN character in a Black Superhero Film!" argument. Because changing an unimportant side character is just the same as changing around a main character and people who may have a problem with that are just the same. 

That argument does not correlate at all what so ever.

Never mind the fact that there are 257billion white characters over here and only two black characters over there. I wonder who has more right to be angry? The people who don't like one of the 257billion white(side character at that) changed, or the people who don't like one of only two black MAIN characters being changed around? hmmmmm......

Nope i didnt.In time nature will balance things out.Caucasians will be a minority an already are in some places. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/03/30/national/main282687.shtml for example. an as a whole here http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/10/national/main6284387.shtml um your kinda writing things in an then going nuttty over things your implying your self.Diversity will happen it doenst  need to be forced.People will mix its simple.Honestly dont know many who arent of mixed background.. 

An the whole you love the "they changed an unimportant SIDE character in a white superhero film" Well that character has years of history.Incuding adopting a african-american kid.I like how you point out how its uniportant then go on about why it is in your opion. 

Most of us with a problem with this is why change a old white guy to black when you coulda had same actor for a better role in that universe?Its a pointless change.Adds nothing to the role.Even with a great actor like they got. In other words a waste of a good actor in a "unimportant" side role.Tho to me if he apears in 1441 comics i dont think hes that uniportant.

But golf clap for the 100% over reacting!
cdeoleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By cdeoleo

I know that many people here have an honest dislike for these changes but please look around the internet look at the things being said. There are a lot of disgusting thing out there when it comes to these two decisions (spidey decision and lawrence fishburne), read the example below from a Newsarama article: 

"Political correctness run amok. Kill off whitey. Replace with multiculti. As a white person who has read and loved Spiderman my whole life, I am out. Will no longer buy Spiderman or Marvel. They could easily have created a new black/hispanic hero if they wanted to but this guy [Editor in chief Axel] Alonso changing a cultural icon is a FU to white Americans. This is a FU moment to white people." 

I do not believe the comment above is made by a comic reader because he is not aware that this is Ultimate Spiderman.   

Yes they could have created a new character but they did not go that route so why does this translate to an FU to white Americans? Anyone can answer this so please feel free.

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#290  Edited By cascadeking09
@Dernman said:
@cascadeking09: I dont know who he was based of of but If the character Rocky wasn't white then they were wrong to hire Stalone for the part. Now if it was just a type then that would be different but this isn't just about a using a typ and changing the detail to make someone new this is about changing a detail of a character . If another company wanted to use perry white as a model make him whatever race go ahead. That new character would be based off of perry but you wouldn't be changing Perry.
Chuck Wepner and Joe Frazier, a white boxer and a black boxer from Philadelphia. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with looking nothing like either guy. It's movie perry I like to think of any movie as an alt universe since 9 times outta ten they're going to be alot different but still similar to the comicbook. So just think of it as the Perry of this universe is a black man I see nothing wrong with that, still has the same personality and even some of the physical traits of Perry White doesn't mean that they ruined Perry by changing the color of his skin or his race.
Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By Yumulu

Again... man people repeat the same non sense rubish every day.
Oh no it the end of the word that a white dude in comic is played by black dude in movie it not 100% accurate to that issue I once read off the internate... oh noooo rage rage black panther, luke cage, rage rage.

If you want to see a copy paste of your comic on the screen just go scotch one up there the rest of us will try to enjoy an eventual movie.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe people are still talking about this. I went to bed, woke up, quaffed a pot of coffee, I'm ready for work and it's still going. Now imagine if they made my coffee white.

Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#293  Edited By Omega-Man
@sesquipedalophobe:

I can't believe people are still talking about this. I went to bed, woke up, quaffed a pot of coffee, I'm ready for work and it's still going. Now imagine if they made my coffee white.

LMAO!!!!
Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By Marshal Victory
@Batmanclone152 said:

@Marshal Victory said:

@cdeoleo said:

As I keep reading this conversation it just make me more and more sad. Come guys I really thought we were past this, guess I was being naive.  Unless the fans are okay with comics wont ever be diverse, it is apparent from yesterday and today that most fans are not okay with Diversity.

Seriously we wount have diversity an fans arent ok with diversity you say? Lets try this the whole forced diveristy , pandering bs then i hope your right but we have diveristy in comics. 

rember http://www.comicvine.com/night-thrasher/29-2098/  an the New Warriors? no? how about  http://www.comicvine.com/patriot/29-2258/ an http://www.comicvine.com/young-avengers/65-40426/ ? 

wait you missed when http://www.comicvine.com/storm/29-1444/ lead the xmen? 

http://www.comicvine.com/shadowhawk/29-5195/  oh wait did you just mean at dc? 

http://www.comicvine.com/mr-terrific/29-19179/ pre newdcu crisis of infinate zero thngy.. 
http://www.comicvine.com/justice-society-of-america/49-18052/ was pretty diverse 
http://www.comicvine.com/batwoman/29-9052/ 
http://www.comicvine.com/renee-montoya/29-3716/ 
http://www.comicvine.com/teen-titans/65-19081/  an im not even trying hard.  Even the people who run this site is rather diverse./shrug maybe um look around a bit?Just a thought..

Now please kindly direct me in the direction of these character's movies.  oh..... none of them have movies about them you say? No one outside of deep comicbook fans know about any of these characters you say?   The only heroes that actually get any promotion are still white males you say?  hmmm......

Wow nice red herring ignore the shown easy to see diveristy then point over here an say wheres it at!. Not like you can show me perry white other than um old white guy in comics right?

Fine this is your fault! 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catwoman_(film) so wanted not to link that  .. feel dirty now it was so bad of a movie. 
so will follow up with some money makers 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_(film
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_2  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade:_Trinity  

um how about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hancock_(film) ?  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Panther_(comics) would have had a film but .. 
"
           In June 1992, Wesley Snipes announced his intention to make a film about the Black Panther. By August, Snipes had begun working on the film. In July 1993, Snipes announced plans to begin The Black Panther after starring in Demolition Man. Snipes said in August 1993, "We have a wide-open field for comic book characters on the big screen and we've yet to have a major black comic book hero on the screen. Especially the Black Panther, which is such a rich, interesting life. It's a dream come true to originate something that nobody's ever seen before." Snipes expressed interest in making sequels to The Black Panther. In January 1994, Snipes entered talks with Columbia Pictures to portray the Black Panther in the film adaptation of the comic book superhero. The following March, Stan Lee joined the development process for a film about the Black Panther. By May, the film was in early development with Columbia Pictures. In January 1996, Stan Lee said that he had not been pleased with the scripts he had encountered for the Black Panther. In July 1997, the Black Panther was listed as part of Marvel Comics' film slate. In March 1998, Marvel hired Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti to work on the Black Panther film adaptation. In August, corporate problems at Marvel had put the Black Panther project on hold. In August 1999, Snipes was set to produce, and possibly star, in the film featuring the Black Panther. In Marvel's June 2000 deal with Artisan Entertainment to develop film and television adaptations, the Black Panther was one of the four names (among Captain America, Thor, and Deadpool) that surfaced. In March 2002, Snipes told Cinescape magazine that he planned to do Blade 3 or Black Panther in 2003. In August 2002, Snipes said he hoped to begin production on Black Panther by 2003. In July 2004, Blade 3 director David S. Goyer said that Wesley Snipes would not likely be Black Panther. "He's already so entrenched as Blade that another Marvel hero might be overkill," said Goyer. In September 2005, Marvel chairman and CEO Avi Arad announced Black Panther as one of the ten Marvel films that would be developed by Marvel Studios and distributed by Paramount Pictures. In June 2006, Snipes told Men's Fitness magazine that much work had been done toward a film adaptation of the Black Panther, and that he hoped to have a director soon. In February 2007, Kevin Feige, president of production for Marvel Studios, stated that Black Panther was on Marvel's development slate. In July 2007, director John Singleton said that he was approached to do Black Panther. In 2009, Marvel attempted to hire a gathering of scribes to help come up with creative ways to launch its lesser-known properties, such as Black Panther, Cable, Doctor Strange, Iron Fist, Nighthawk and Vision. In January 2011, Marvel Studios hired documentary filmmaker Mark Bailey to write a script for The Black Panther to be produced by studio head Kevin Fiege. 
gasp it may hapen yet.. maybe. 

actualy id love to see that an or      http://www.comicvine.com/shang-chi/29-12716/ movie or  http://www.comicvine.com/power-man-and-iron-fist-freedom/37-18426/ 

Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#295  Edited By Omega-Man

I think this role is Wasted on Fishburne, it's stupid to change a supporting character's race but what's more stupid is Fishburne getting this part he could be a more meaningful character in the Superman movies than Perry White.

Besides Perry White also adopted an African American kid in the comics so in movies is he going to adopt a white american kid? lol

Dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By Dernman
@cdeoleo: I already answered this one but I'll take another shot by answering it another way and using an example. Say I was going to do comic of the Daily Bugle and this scene walks Robbie Robertson. I would have a check list of characteristics and personality traits that I go by that describe the character. Now making him say Asian American. It's a major change for the visual characteristics. Although he can still do the ra ra america thing that Perry does it wouldn't be Perry doing it. If some small skinny guy to do the role of a kingpin he could still be the very intelligent manipulater who uses people like pawns but he wouldn't be Wilson Fix because Wilson Fisk is big. I hope that answers you question to your satisfaction.
Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By Marshal Victory
@Caligula said:

@BransonHuggins said:

lol

@BransonHuggins said:

Hollywood always does this.  When was the last time you say a comic movie that was even remotely like the book?  

300 and Watchmen

Sin City to list The Shadow also its good mix if all the books an old radio shows .The Mask was id say 70% of the comic?The Crow was sited as 80% but then brandon lee died an that got rolled back :/ 

um id even say Iron Man.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By Caligula
@Marshal Victory said:
@Caligula said:

@BransonHuggins said:

lol

@BransonHuggins said:

300 and Watchmen

Sin City to list The Shadow also its good mix if all the books an old radio shows .The Mask was id say 70% of the comic?The Crow was sited as 80% but then brandon lee died an that got rolled back :/  um id even say Iron Man.
also the Nolan films aren't blow for blow adaptations. but they feel like they fit.
Dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By Dernman
@cdeoleo: It doesn't say FU to wight people but it's feels like they are saying FU to the character and to me the fan who cares about the character. being the actual character.
Yes there a few lowed mouths who are hating it because they are racist but not the majority of us.
We shouldn't be painted by the same brush as them.
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#300  Edited By Gambit1024
@Caligula said:

Nothing's wrong.  But I bet you one million dollars if, a Black Panther film is made and they cast Daniel Craig as Black Panther, or if say Heidi Klum is Storm. See if the Black Community is as "cool" with it as they are this.
If that day comes (and it probably won't because some things just don't turn out that way), but if that day comes, I will personally go back to the Marvel.com message boards and troll everyone who ever called me a racist for not agreeing that Ultimate Fury is better than 616 Fury.  

Because, according to them, if you prefer 616 Fury to Samuel L. Jackson with an eye patch, you're racist. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.