Follow

Man of Steel

Movie » Man of Steel released on June 14, 2013.

Reboot of the Superman movie franchise and the beginning of the DC Extended Universe, with Henry Cavill as the man of steel. Directed by Zack Snyder, of 300 and Watchmen fame. Written by David Goyer and Christopher Nolan, director of The Dark Knight Trilogy.

Henry Cavill Comments on Ben Affleck as Batman

• 79 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Since the news broke that Ben Affleck will be Batman in the Man of Steel sequel, pretty much anyone and everyone has chimed in on the development. We've heard from former Batman actors, directors, and basically all kinds of people in the movie industry. However, we haven't heard from Superman himself... at least until now, that is.

During an interview with Total Film, Henry Cavill was asked about how the actor will fare as the new cinematic version of Batman. Cavill remarked on Affleck's career and said he's "sure he'll be fantastic." Check out the video to see the actor's full remarks on the casting news.

David S. Goyer and director Zack Snyder are writing the film's script and it's scheduled to open in 2015. No word yet on what the official title will be. Viners, do you share Cavill's positive opinion or are you more skeptical about Affleck stepping into the cowl? Let us know below.

Source: Total Film

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I'm excited, no matter who is under the cowl. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f797850d03c6
    deactivated-5f797850d03c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I think he'll surprise people. I'm excited for him to do it.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be more excited if Man of Steel had been better, and if they had read from a comic like Superman/Batman instead of the Dark Knight Returns, and if the movie wasn't being called Batman vs. Superman.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

longest 2 years ever

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I think he'll surprise people. I'm excited for him to do it.

This. He was awesome in the Town.

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Herokiller12344

He's just now saying something?

Crimson Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well people were unsure with Robert Downey Jr as Iron man and Mark Ruffalo as Hulk. I'm sure Affleck will surprise viewers.

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Overlander

Those were very respectful words. Kudos to Henry on a great deal of professionalism and magnanimity. I am always willing to give Ben a chance.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Well people were unsure with Robert Downey Jr as Iron man and Mark Ruffalo as Hulk. I'm sure Affleck will surprise viewers.

People always bitch about casting until they see the movie.

There was an entire website that was made with hundreds of thousands of petitions when Daniel Craig was cast as James Bond.

then they all shut up after they saw the movie.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gracetrack

It still doesn't change the fact that it's Ben Affleck and I personally will only ever be able to see him as Ben Affleck... dressed up like Batman.

He's just one of those actors that's been overexposed, in my eyes. Maybe not for you, but he has been for me.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By mak13131313

I think he will do a great job. I can't wait for 2015!

TheBhramaBull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono said:

It still doesn't change the fact that it's Ben Affleck and I personally will only ever be able to see him as Ben Affleck... dressed up like Batman.

He's just one of those actors that's been overexposed, in my eyes. Maybe not for you, but he has been for me.

Ben is 6ft 4 and he's gonna be jacked for the role, wearing an intimidating arkhamverse style (rumoured) batsuit, I doubt that I will see it as just Ben Affleck dressed up as Batman.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No offense but that is a pretty dumb reason. Successful actors get in a lot of movies.

Does that mean you also hate RDJ as Iron Man? Because he's been in more movies than Affleck.

Or how about Michael Caine as Alfred? He's been in about 100-120 movies in his career.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2015 is gonna be a hell of a year

HauntNav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HauntNav

He was great in Mallrats. Er... wait maybe I'm thinking about Jay or Silent Bob.

ngrey651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By ngrey651

Goyer?! The jerk that thought it was a good idea to have Superman kill and to write Jonathan Kent as a non supportive contradictory bore? Who'll probably have Superman turn into a govt tool or a stupid stooge for Batman to kick the crap outta because Batman is just sooooo awesome!

Bruce and Clark have fought in the mainstream about three times. When Supes was barely holding back against a brainwashed Batman, he practically shattered every bone in his body. When Supes was brainwashed, Batman BARELY stopped him. And when Batman had no kryptonite and was facing down an angry and furious Superman from the future in the Batcave, the older Superman b---slapped him into his own Batmobile with a single slap. The point being Supes easily kicks his butt except when Bats has every advantage and Superman has none. Even the DKR comic revealed this. Supes was holding back and Batman had to get other heroes to help, use kryptonite and trick Supes to knock him out.

I don't read comics or watch movies to see heroes brawl with EACH OTHER. Marvel does that stupid idea every summer.

TomHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am looking forward to this! MAN OF STEEL was pretty danged good! And Affleck has been good in a lot of movies (I contend Daredevil was not his fault). So I will definately be getting my tickets for this one!!

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dud317

@hauntnav: But he was the bomb in phantoms, yo!

Fan_Not_Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fan_Not_Fanboy

Why did he mention that Ben Affleck was a good filmmaker? Is he helping out as director? Is he signed on to direct other DC movies?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By spidershamrock

I can't wait, 2012 was one of the best summer's ever, in terms of movies and 2015 is shaping up nicely

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm excited, no matter who is under the cowl. :)

Same here. I can hardly wait for 2015!

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Why did he mention that Ben Affleck was a good filmmaker? Is he helping out as director? Is he signed on to direct other DC movies?

Rumours are that Affleck might be directing Justice League and other DC movies, it was apparently part of the deal to get him to be Batman

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I hope he's right but I never understand why people think this is news. What's Cavil gonna say? Its not like a semi intelligent actor is gonna come out and admit if he does think anything about the movie is gonna be sh**ty. I'm not saying Affleck is gonna be bad just saying of course the guy whose lively hood depends on the movie doing well is going to only say good things about it. Look what happens to people's careers when they start calling movies they're in crap, 9 times out of 10 they don't get another chance at blockbusters.

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

smh

After years, decades even, of reading comics and watching movies... and some of you think 'VS' literally means a 'fight to the death'?

No wonder fanboys get such a bad rap, you're all so f'n stupid.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

smh

After years, decades even, of reading comics and watching movies... and some of you think 'VS' literally means a 'fight to the death'?

No wonder fanboys get such a bad rap, you're all so f'n stupid.

Watch yourself. Not all of us are bad.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 the_stegman  Moderator

I can't wait!

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crimson_eagle said:

People always bitch about casting until they see the movie.

There was an entire website that was made with hundreds of thousands of petitions when Daniel Craig was cast as James Bond.

then they all shut up after they saw the movie.

THIS

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

We need a trailer asap.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gracetrack

@fallschirmjager said:

No offense but that is a pretty dumb reason. Successful actors get in a lot of movies.

Does that mean you also hate RDJ as Iron Man? Because he's been in more movies than Affleck.

Or how about Michael Caine as Alfred? He's been in about 100-120 movies in his career.

No offense, but that is a pretty dumb response.

I didn't say I'd "hate" Affleck as Batman. And nope, I do not hate RDJ as Iron Man. Furthermore, RDJ isn't one of those actors that has been overexposed in my eyes. Same goes for Caine as Alfred. If those two are overexposed in your eyes, that's your issue.

Re-read what I actually posted.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

I didn't say I'd "hate" Affleck as Batman. And nope, I do not hate RDJ as Iron Man. Furthermore, RDJ isn't one of those actors that has been overexposed in my eyes. Same goes for Caine as Alfred. If those two are overexposed in your eyes, that's your issue.

You complain about overexpose, which implies you don't like the casting.

And then I give you two actors who've portrayed CBM character's who have more exposure and then you say you don't mind them.

That's dumb and irrational.

Whatever works for you.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Tbf,RDJ's career was floating in mediocrity and just because Caine had been in over 100 movies they weren't all blockbusters that everyone saw and knew him pre-2005.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@jeanralphio said:

@fallschirmjager: Tbf,RDJ's career was floating in mediocrity and just because Caine had been inover 100 movies they weren't all blockbusters that everyone saw and knew him pre-2005.

Michael Caine has been acting since the 1950's. If you didn't know who he was prior to 2005 you don't know anything about movies.

RDJ was equally as famous for his drug problems.

Affleck's been acting since like 1980 and wasn't in a blockbuster until like 1998 when he was in Armageddon or Good Will Hunting. That's half his career he was doing minor films like Chasing Amy.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gracetrack

@fallschirmjager said:

@omnicrono said:

@fallschirmjager said:

You complain about overexpose, which implies you don't like the casting.

And then I give you two actors who've portrayed CBM character's who have more exposure and then you say you don't mind them.

That's dumb and irrational.

Whatever works for you.

My man, your posts are the only things dumb and irrational.

I clearly stated in my initial post that he is overexposed in my eyes, and that doesn't necessarily mean he is in someone else's. No complaint there, simply stating my opinion on the matter.

If you chose to gloss over and dismiss that, then that means you are both childish and trolling.

I guess that works for you, though.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lezze4 said:

my mum in-law

wow, spammers cant even spell now..

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By HexThis

I can't even...with this. It's like nothing is good enough and we need everything in excess these days. Someone makes 3 pretty damn good Batman movies and less than a year later they're already trying to exploit the same franchise and improve upon it? It's not specifically Ben Affleck's fault, it's the studio, the producers, the directors, the screenwriters. So unwise.

Just sit on the rights for the franchise, this is such terrible business and really cheapens the value of the intellectual property to throw in a whole new premise 9 months after you caught lightening in bottle.

Man of Steel wasn't that great, now they're resting on the laurels of a makeshift Batman. Do not tempt the fates with this crap.

Avatar image for acaciopereiraoliveira
    acaciopereiraoliveira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

second chances to everyone part of the cast in kevin's smith mallrats...

nuff said!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

GO BATFLECK!!!!!

He's gonna rock!

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think I was more surprised than anything when I first heard the decision. The more I thought about it, the more I liked it. I have faith in his ability.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wouldn't say that it's a dumb reason. It's a serious concern that a lot of people behind the camera and watching the product often have about various projects. For example the only reason we got Christopher Reeves as Superman back in the day is because the people making that film shared the exact same fear and chose an unknown solely because of it. I'm looking forward to Affleck's performance but I seriously doubt that I'll see him as anything but himself in a suit just like how he did an incredible job in Argo but I could still only see him as Ben Affleck.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have loved all his recent movies and I am greatly looking forward to him putting on the Cape and Cowl.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can hardly even remember the Daredevil movie. I think I saw it once in the theaters and that's it. All I remember is that you could hardly tell what was happening because the scenery was so pitch black dark, that scene where he was asking where the ketchup was, and that Wilson Fisk was one of those characters who magically change ethnicity when they get translated into other media. I honestly don't remember ever watching any other film with Ben Affleck, except when we had to watch The Voyage of the Mimi in elementary school, which was the only reason I'd heard of him before Daredevil. I've never heard of Michael Caine outside of the Dark Knight trilogy, and had never heard of RDJ before Iron Man, but have since seen and enjoyed U.S. Marshals, but outside of that, Iron Man, and Sherlock Holmes have no idea what else he's in. Though I admit that I'm not a movie buff and that I'm always the last person to find out about everything, and that often almost feel like the whole world is in on a conspiracy to keep information from me. Anyway, unless news has broken since this article was posted, I'll have to ask, why in the posts after an article saying the film has not yet been named, are people complaining about it being called Batman VS. Superman, which I admit would be an awful name, but at this point I feel like it's an ill-founded rumor. Anyway, it's a movie with Batman and Superman, so I really don't care who plays either one. But I sorta feel it's a bit odd to have someone who played a similar role in a movie version of a rival company's property. Anyway, while I'm out of the loop on celebrities, I have heard that Affleck is a pretty famous dude.

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Ben can do it. I actually thought Daredevil wasn't that bad, so I think he'll do good as Batman. I bet that after the movie, everyone will say he did a great job, but that there'll be some people who don't want to admit they were wrong and will hate it. "Some men just want to watch the world burn."

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ben is a spectacular director. He may have developed into a fine actor. But Batman he ain't. We saw that with George Clooney and I don't care how bad or good Batman & Robin was.

If Affleck proves me wrong I'll be the first one to admit it. I just can't see him as Batman. And it's not like he'll have make-up to pull of a chameleon-like transformation like Ledger did with the Joker.

Plus the sequel has to deal with Goyer's preachy monologue script and Snyder's shakey cam. Combine that we'll get a fundamental case of not getting the subject matter or the characters.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

Isn't this movie the one with Wonder Woman now? Let's be honest, that's the only reason I'll see this movie.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Affleck will ruin Batman, and maybe he can pull him off, but I honestly don't see him too much as Bruce Wayne. People forget that he will be playing two people essentially. I still think Ryan Gosling would have been a better fit for the role.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SandMan_

Looks like Cavill is bulking up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.