Follow

Magik

Character » Magik appears in 3410 issues.

The younger sister of Colossus. Illyana Rasputin is a mutant teleporter, a sorceress, and the ruler of Limbo, who is currently a member of Storm's team of mutants residing in the "Jean Grey Institute for Higher Learning".

magik's sword

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darthphoenix

Does she still have her soul sword?

what is the black sword-like thing she's holding in her recent pics?

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

It's called horrible art. I mean I enjoy his art I just don't think it's the right fit for Uncanny X-Men. Cyclops and Emma look like children, Magik looks older than both of them. But back to the sword... It's just his art work so he has the power to change the look of her sword even though its been the same since her first appearance in New Mutants.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By dangallant984

@IllyanaRasputin: maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but I thought I saw an image where she had two swords, her soul-sword and this new one. Also, is anyone else getting a phoenix blade vibe off that new one?

No Caption Provided

..'cause if that's where they're going with this, I'm calling too soon.

unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By unicornpuncher

It looks like something awful from FF7

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DarkDay

Since this exists...I'm going to say she has two swords.

Edit:

@dangallant984: Also I agree. It feels a lot like the PB.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Her powers have been amped. Why can't she summon a new sword if she wished because of it?

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By sora_thekey

@IllyanaRasputin: @darthphoenix: @unicornpuncher: Since we don't really understand what kind of change she went through after the Phoenix Force left her, I'm thinking she probably does have it's changed into the "something from FF7"

IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

Ahhh. You're right it does look like the Phoenix Blade... Tisk, tisk... I'm not looking forward to it.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By dangallant984

@IllyanaRasputin said:

Ahhh. You're right it does look like the Phoenix Blade... Tisk, tisk... I'm not looking forward to it.

let's just hope it's a coincidence.

IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

@dangallant984 said:

@IllyanaRasputin said:

Here's to hoping!!

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DarkDay

@god_spawn said:

Her powers have been amped. Why can't she summon a new sword if she wished because of it?

Honestly I have no problem with that. Though I think I agree with the hope that they don't make it some sort of weird Phoenix Blade copycat. Her with a new sword that does something else, I'm all for it, heck even if it does the same thing, but no more Phoenix for awhile would be ideal.

PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PYH000

Obvously, Bachalo doesn't know the significance of the Soulsword.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dangallant984 said:

@IllyanaRasputin said:

i was going to make thread about this ....lol

yeah i think magik's sword is a phoenix blade knock-off

Kurolegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kurolegacy

They'll probably explain it as the sword changing form due to her enhanced powers.

chiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chiq

@Kurolegacy: Yup. She can now leap straight from the ground and slice a building sized sentinel in half. Although the sword has sliced through non magical items before and she has displayed super human physical attributes when she turns into a demon. She can even turn into energy...but now she appears to be operating past peak human even without going demon mode.

No Caption Provided
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PYH000

@chiq said:

@Kurolegacy: Yup. She can now leap straight from the ground and slice a building sized sentinel in half. Although the sword has sliced through non magical items before and she has displayed super human physical attributes when she turns into a demon. She can even turn into energy...but now she appears to be operating past peak human even without going demon mode.

No Caption Provided

I think it's best to take it with a grain of salt. It's potentially artistic interpretation.

As for going demon mode, look up New Mutants #21; that's the issue when she got back the rest of her soul and is human again.

chiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chiq

@244: Didn't Magik appear in her she-demon form when she battled Doc Strange in AVX? Pretty sure that was after NM 21.

No Caption Provided

and it looks like we will be seeing this form again soon.

No Caption Provided
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PYH000

@chiq said:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

@244: Didn't Magik appear in her she-demon form when she battled Doc Strange in AVX? Pretty sure that was after NM 21.

and it looks like we will be seeing this form again soon.

For the first image, it was written by Jason Aaron, and I don't think he got the memo about her new status quo after "Rise of the New Mutants". AvX is filled with plot holes and bits of discontinuity. Kieron Gillen was aware about her new status quo as he said "she has come out the other side" when talking about her past demonic corruption and how it relates to Colossus Cyttorak corruption.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35580

As for the second image, it seems Dormammu has corrupted Magik. There's going to be a Dormammu arc soon in Bendis' Uncanny X-men. Bendis has brought up that Magik's new power will come with a cost and I suppose it's that one.

chiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By chiq

@244: Yes. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Dormammu as well.

I was just saying that being a demon and being involved with Limbo and dark magic is a fundamental part of Magik's character. I can't see how that will be completely erased even with all her soul restored. Even with her soul at 100% she still wanted Colossus to feel how she felt,(being an avatar of Cyttorak and having power that corrupts) and made a point that she will never be the same little snowflake that Peter remembered. That's why she had that "There are no snowflakes in hell" statement.

PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PYH000

@chiq said:

@244: Yes. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Dormammu as well.

I was just saying that being a demon and being involved with Limbo and dark magic is a fundamental part of Magik's character. I can't see how that will be completely erased even with all her soul restored. Even with her soul at 100% she still wanted Colossus to feel how she felt,(being an avatar of Cyttorak and having power that corrupts) and made a point that she will never be the same little snowflake that Peter remembered. That's why she had that "There are no snowflakes in hell" statement.

But characters evolve sometimes, and create a new identity for themselves eventually.

Yeah, she wanted Colossus to understand that she can't be his "snowflake" anymore, but her experience with demonic corruption has broken her, and it's like she lost sense in who she is now hence the line from Magik: Storm and Illyana issue 4: "I don't know for certain which is the real. I doubt I ever will". I guess she feels dead inside now and gave up in trying to improve her life. But there can be hope she can find a new identity for herself, move on, and be a good person again. Just because she has a checkered past, does it mean it has to dictate in who she is?

shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shackle

Why can't her sword appear however she wants it to appear? The sword is mystical in origin, she's a magical character, why can't the sword's appearance change through mystical means? What difference does the appearance of her sword mean anyway? Honestly, you people get hung up on the most trivial, insignificant minutiae.

PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PYH000

@shackle said:

Why can't her sword appear however she wants it to appear? The sword is mystical in origin, she's a magical character, why can't the sword's appearance change through mystical means? What difference does the appearance of her sword mean anyway? Honestly, you people get hung up on the most trivial, insignificant minutiae.

If you put it that way, that makes sense, but come on! We're traditionalists!

PrimeDirective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PrimeDirective

@shackle: The problem here is that she has TWO swords. She has her traditional soulsword and now this oversized broadsword. We wanna know what the latter is.

ultimatekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently, it does not have the same attributes as the original soulsword because in the Battle of the Atom event, Jean Grey used telekinesis to make her body stiff and used her sword to cut her neck. Magik was bleeding and I thought it was weird because you're not supposed to feel physical pain but mental/spiritual pain. She should not have bled. If that was true then Molly Hayes and Deadpool should have died when they were struck by the swords. They didn't bleed but they were knocked out as was the case with Black Widow vs Magik. Apparently, the new soulsword still has the attribute of giving holders the ability to travel through Magik's portals.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.