Follow

Mad Max: Fury Road

Movie » Mad Max: Fury Road released on May 15, 2015.

George Miller returns to the desolate world he created with "Fury Road", in which Mad Max Rockatansky joins forces with the Imperator Furiosa to free a group of slaves from the clutches of the insane warlord Immortan Joe.

Mad Max: Fury Road

• 95 results
    Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus: this is supposed to be a violent movie, it's not.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus: Also the baddies have guns right? Are the War Rig tires bulletproof or something? Cause I remember Hummongus' goons doing a good job with arrows, they could try that instead of pole swinging above the vehicle. Kinda looks like the practical effects aren't practical.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I went to see this today but I missed my bus. RAGE!

Larflizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dimitridkatsis: Calm down about the age restriction dude, it doesn't matter it's still an amazing film.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Larflizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Larflizzle

@dimitridkatsis: Blood and guts isn't violence. The addition of blood and guts wouldn't really enhance the experience any more. There is literally no need for it, since the action is well choreographed and performed, and the practical effects are noticeably good, and the impracticality of their methods reflect the villains' cultish lifestyle. You'll see when you watch it. Trust me it won't disappoint unless you go in with the wrong mindset.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus: I watch movies for fun too, when critics say one is a masterpiece I expect to have more fun than usual and the movie to be very interesting, is it really?

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@larflizzle: In the Mad Max world there can and has been violence that fit the story and made for a good experience. I'm not asking for unnecesary things, people ran over in car chases makes sense, the guy with the flamethrower guitar on the other hand however cool looks unnecessary. This is supposed to be R rated.

Larflizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dimitridkatsis: The fact that it was R rated has nothing to do with the film. Here in the UK it was rated 15, which is just halfway between PG and R I guess for you. The violence was the people getting mowed down and that, and yes, there is some blood, but it would be forced to focus on the blood rather than the action. Whatever floats your goat is cool, but I don't want people to be deprived of an extremely enjoyable experience because they went in thinking that it all rides on the gore etc.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By dimitridkatsis

@larflizzle: From what I understand people are forced to focus at the action because it's the only thing the movie has, the movie could showcase the brutallity of this world before it got to the action. In road Warrior you see what the baddies are capable off when they torture and kill some people, then you get to the fortress the good guys have build and you know sooner or later they have to make a run for it and they will be hunted, it gets your attention before the climax. What's going on here? This villain wants to build a new society by breeding, now let's hit the road. No I don't think so.

Larflizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dimitridkatsis: That's not what happens. If you're so intent on not liking it then fine, whatever.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@larflizzle: I'm not intent on not liking it I hope for an explanation on the "Amazing, Masterpiece, Milestone" statements. What does happen?

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably the best action movie I've seen in the past 10 years.

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: HAHAHAHA it was all bullsh!t wasn't it? They made a PG movie but promoted it as R, I heard kids go and see this like there's no problem, oh what a bunch of suckers we are.

Definitely deserved the R-rating. Was more brutal than any of the other Mad Max films, for sure.

At one point, there is an impromptu C-section on a dead pregnant woman where the dead baby is cut out and thrown onto a table like a piece of meat.

The main villain's death is fairly gruesome, he has his mouth and lower face ripped off.

There were one or two nude scenes, though it was treated fairly non chalantly.

Multiple impalements, early in the film, a Warboy's eye, cheek and nose are impaled by metal spikes. He proceeds to go nuts, douses his mouth in chrome paint and then kamikaze jump to his death.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@r2datu: are those actually shown or look like they happened?

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@r2datu: are those actually shown or look like they happened?

Yes, all are shown.

In terms of why it's being regarded as a masterpiece?

• Action sequences are legitimately breath taking and mind blowing, far exceeding any action sequences in previous Mad Max films in terms of sheer scale, intricacy, creativity and violence. As many reviewers have said, the first major chase sequence is one of the best chase sequences I have ever seen. And it's by far the worst chase sequence in the film.
    • Despite the majority of the movie being comprised of several long action scenes, the three leads (Max, Furiosa and Nox) each have distinct character arcs which are developed within the action scenes themselves.
    • This results in a fair bit of dramatic heft being added to the proceedings given comparatively little dialogue. It's probably the most dramatic and emotionally resonant Mad Max film besides perhaps the first Mad Max. Each of the supporting cast is unique and even though they don't say all that much, you get a feel of their distinctive personalities and start to care for them.
    • In fact, Furiosa and Max develop their (entirely platonic, I might add) relationship with barely any dialogue between the two of them and most of their character development occurs as they are fighting together.
    • Last but not least, the soundtrack is absolutely incredible and is just as ridiculous and insane as the action.

In short, strong performances by the leads, simple but well executed plot, a deft expansion of the Mad Max world, simple but well drawn out and uniquely expressed character arcs for the major characters, a killer soundtrack and most of all, some of the most genuinely eye popping and exhilarating action sequences in cinema history make this easily the best action film of the year.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

OH WHAT A FILM... WHAT A LOVELY FILM!!

Agree with almost everything in the review. Loved the acting from the main cast especially. Since I saw it in 3D I didn't have any issue with the end of the final action scene, in fact I really liked it. Fury Road is an amazing addition to the franchise.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@r2datu: You are certainly giving some good reasons, I'm gonna give this a shot.

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By r2datu

@dimitridkatsis said:

@rpgesus: Also the baddies have guns right? Are the War Rig tires bulletproof or something? Cause I remember Hummongus' goons doing a good job with arrows, they could try that instead of pole swinging above the vehicle. Kinda looks like the practical effects aren't practical.

@dimitridkatsis said:

@larflizzle: In the Mad Max world there can and has been violence that fit the story and made for a good experience. I'm not asking for unnecesary things, people ran over in car chases makes sense, the guy with the flamethrower guitar on the other hand however cool looks unnecessary. This is supposed to be R rated.

@dimitridkatsis said:

@larflizzle: From what I understand people are forced to focus at the action because it's the only thing the movie has, the movie could showcase the brutallity of this world before it got to the action. In road Warrior you see what the baddies are capable off when they torture and kill some people, then you get to the fortress the good guys have build and you know sooner or later they have to make a run for it and they will be hunted, it gets your attention before the climax. What's going on here? This villain wants to build a new society by breeding, now let's hit the road. No I don't think so.

War rigs tires are indeed bullet proof.

The pole swinging sequences towards the end are actually not used for attacks, they're used to capture people (a Warboy uses the pole to swoop in and grab captives or to leap onto the roof of a truck) and are only used in the final sequence.

The flamethrower guy actually makes sense with the villain of the story. He's wildly insecure about his own deformities and the grotesque deformities of his children so using his control over the water supply, he has amassed an incredible amount of power and fashioned himself into a living god. He's all about excess and grandeur no matter the cost as he has to make himself appear to be a supreme being to all. His book keeper chastises him several times for being excessive with his fuel consumption but he always ignores him. He doesn't care about excess, as long as he makes himself look like the god he wishes he was, then he'll do whatever it takes.

You definitely see what the bad guys are capable of in Fury Road. Straight off the bat, you see them branding Max and other slaves and force-tattooing scripture all across Max's back. They then turn Max into a human blood bag to feed into the War Boys. You see a bunch of other awful things that Immortan Joe has set up, including having scores of women being milked like cows (literally, they are lined up in stables and MILKED).

Also, the villain definitely does NOT want to make a new society by breeding. It's clear from the get go that he doesn't care about his society. He cares only about himself and masking his insecurities. You see from his malformed children that the breeding stock he has is an attempt to create a perfect being that he can live vicariously through, but thus far all attempts have failed.

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dimitridkatsis

Also, they have an interesting way of explaining just how Immortan Joe has so much fuel and artillery to feed his ego. It's revealed that there's some sort of alliance between him and several other Warlords who control sources of power within the wasteland. Immortan Joe controls the water, the Bullet Farmers horde the artillery and I believe there was another town called Fuel Town which isn't really touched upon too much. There's also the People Eaters who seemed to be more of a wild card tribe.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Saw it yesterday, it's insane

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw it, sucked.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

People seem to really love this movie. I'm probably gonna watch it when I find the time to just to see how good it is..

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@k4tzm4n: Ex Machina is the worst! The only good thing about it is that there's uncensored boobs everywhere.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

no pitch perfect review?

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so this is the macho hetero man's man version of avatar aka: its eye candy and should only be seen in theater (in their minds) and they never talk about plot points because (in their words) in a movie "like this" it doesnt matter. and they call it the best movie in history then a few years they will rip apart the way the fan boys did avatar by the time it came on blu ray. lol the writing is on the wall and i will be there laughing my ass off when yall backtrack lol

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

This was an incredible movie. Well done George Miller

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#80  Edited By UltimatePower6

Just saw it, need to see it again and again!!!

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so this is the macho hetero man's man version of avatar aka: its eye candy and should only be seen in theater (in their minds) and they never talk about plot points because (in their words) in a movie "like this" it doesnt matter. and they call it the best movie in history then a few years they will rip apart the way the fan boys did avatar by the time it came on blu ray. lol the writing is on the wall and i will be there laughing my ass off when yall backtrack lol

I'd probably liken it more to Gravity. A technically and visually astounding film with a simple plot in a breath taking setting that relies on strong performances from award winning actors to carry the emotional narrative through the copious action scenes using relatively little dialogue.

Even in terms of plot points, there are many that have been talked about which play with the audience's expectations (the pregnancy subplot, the antagonist's familial motivation, the thinly veiled commentary on the relationships between men and women in modern society) as well as the thematic integrity of the film (much like Gravity, it's a film about survival and hope which is explored in Furiosa's, Max's and even Nox's surprisingly well fleshed out character arcs). Perhaps the most striking thing about the film aside from its visually stunning action sequences is that it achieves what so very few action films are able to do in terms of its characters. It was able to use relatively dialogue sparse action sequences to provide development for its lead characters and I can't remember the last time an action film did this effectively.

I'd be more than happy to discuss these plot points with you in detail if you don't mind spoilers.

mrBlonde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I'm hoping for a Furiosa movie at this point. I think I read somewhere that it's in the works

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dimitridkatsis: no. There's definitely some strong stuff. Particularly w a pregnant woman. But I won't spoil it. But it's definitely not for kiddies. With that said. It's an EPIC film. Blew away all other summer films so far. No lie. But yea you gotta have some balls and testosterone to be passionate about it. No smart ass, witty mouth superheroes in this one at all. That's a good thing to me btw.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's nudity in the film too so yea the R rating is good.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Blackdog2009

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Blackdog2009

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perfect_10: No, not really.

It's more like the first Conan. Visceral and no brain at first sight but deeper meaning with some insight.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@r2datu: you are the first person to actually give an intelligent response to the film. visually for me its "grotesque" so i will never see it. spoil away

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@r2datu: you are the first person to actually give an intelligent response to the film. visually for me its "grotesque" so i will never see it. spoil away

There's definitely a lot of interesting things going on in terms of its underlying plot and themes that make it well worth watching repeatedly, even moreso than other similar critically acclaimed action films with sparse plots such as Gravity, The Raid, John Wick and Dredd.

As I said earlier, there's three rather deftly handled character arcs undergone by Max, Furiosa and Nox.

Much of the film relies on the relationship between Max and Furiosa, which many assumed would be a romance, but is in fact entirely platonic. They share comparatively few lines of dialogue with each other, but form a strong bong by the third act of the film.

It's a testament to Miller's direction that much of this bond is formed in the middle of the various action scenes throughout the story. For example, during the canyon chase sequence mid way through the film, communicating only with grunts and facial expressions, Furiosa and Max instinctively begin to work like a well oiled machine as they are beset by their enemies, expressing through their actions their growing trust of one another. In a humorous moment shortly after, Max is shown having trouble sniping an enemy from a long distance while Furiosa hovers over him, her expression worried, but showing enough trust of Max's abilities that she does not urge him to give her the gun. Max sees this and relents, begrudgingly gives her the gun and allows her to use him as a post, highlighting their mutual respect.

This growing bond is the crux of the film both in terms of its plot and in terms of its thematic narrative as both characters represent polar opposite mindsets when it comes to hope (one of the film's driving themes). Max represents the complete abandonment of hope and what it will do to a man when he gives up on hope entirely. Furiosa in contrast represents complete and utter devotion to hope in the face of any adversity and the ill effects this blind hope may have when the world decides to rip it away. As their bond strengthens, their ideologies find common ground between these two extremes, allowing them to work together to find their redemption.

Redemption is another theme that runs through the story and a driving motivation for Furiosa and (in the third act of the film) for Max. But it is manifested most clearly in Nox as his blind faith and hope in a glorious death lead him to commit atrocities. At first, he seems to be a monster but he is revealed to be little more than a misguided child and after being exposed to true kindness, he is able to find redemption as well, turning away from Immortan Joe and sacrificing himself to stop the very men he worshipped.

Another interesting aspect is the Wasteland society headed by three Warlords. One can look at this from a number of different points of view. Here's one interesting take by a fan:

"I just got done watching Fury Road and have been thinking about the motto scrawled on the wall behind Immortan Joe as he enters the harem chamber - "Who Killed The World?"

It is apparent that the three main warlords are representative of their chosen "commodity" - water, weapons, & gasoline. But, I believe they actually represent something greater - the cause of the apocalypse itself and each of them is in fact a representation of one of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Immortan Joe represents Conquest/Pestilence. We know that he pursues and enslaves people in the Wasteland (i.e. Furiosa's origin) and then turns those conquered people so they view him as god-like and the path to heaven. In this way, he assumes the same duality as the Christian horseman - as both a righteous figure (some interpret Conquest as Jesus spreading the gospel) and an evil figure (some interpret Conquest as a false prophet), and also as an infectious influence like the modern "Pestilence" (he "turns" his slaves into followers).

IJ and his followers also embody Pestilence by their own bodies. They are covered in festering sores, are mis-shapen and/or disabled, and have tumors from the nuclear radiation (side note: I find it interesting that Fury Road is the first time Miller has basically beaten everyone over the head with "It was global thermonuclear war, dummies!", when the series has only ever strongly hinted at that before).

The Bullet Farmer represents War. This is an easy one but hear me out. The Christian horseman isn't simply the embodiment of all war, it is the embodiment of unchecked aggression and "non-righteous" conflict. In a modern sense, War is simply unchecked militarism and internecine warfare. The Bullet Farmer doesn't merely represent these qualities, he actively pursues them. When the rest of the group is stuck in the mud and the three warlords have a talk, The People Eater tells him to wait and not hurt the "wives", but instead he goes riding off alone (unchecked aggression) and fires wildly with no regard to who he hits (collateral damage/internecine warfare/"friendly fire").

The People Eater represents Famine. "But he's fat!", you say. Read on, this requires more backstory of the Christian horseman. Famine is generally shown carrying weighing scales to measure grain during a famine. When he appears Saint John hears an exclamation on the prices of grain, but it then concludes:

and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine

Why does the voice say this? It's generally interpreted to mean that luxury goods should remain unaffected by famine, meaning the rich will not suffer, while the poor will. In this way, Famine also embodies the injustice and gluttony of the rich. We see this reflected in the characters surrounding The People Eater - many will resort to eating mutant salamanders, whereas TPE is extremely obese and has major gout, he is obviously well-fed.

TPE also embodies Famine in his name. Throughout history there are recurring episodes of cannibalism practiced by people who were not getting enough nutrients.

So, I bet you're wondering "who's the fourth Horsemen???"....it's Max. Max is Death. Nowhere is this more clear than Max's visions of the dead people he has been unable to "save". He carries the dead with him, leaves people dead in his own path, but can also never be killed himself. Max and Death are both remorseless forces of nature, and that is especially true in Fury Road."

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It was okay. The fights were cool. The story was just okay. I liked the over the topness.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@r2datu: too deep for me lol. im a face value/blunt person. cant read subtext or symbolism so even if i were to watch this film i wouldnt get any of that. like i said its not my style only really into scifi/fantasy kind of action (hong knong kung fu films, magic/witchcraft, or superheroes) and not into the crazy, weird, dark/gritty and overly violent stuff. examples of action films that i love are the sorceror's apprentice, guardians of the galaxy, and so close.

i also have no ties to the original films, waaaay before my time heck i didnt even know there were more than one film with tina turner. now mighty max is a max film i could get behind. like people there are films for everyone this one just isnt for me

Stompa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw it and......it was completly underwhelming.....please no more Remakes...please.

izbighulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By izbighulk

I haven't seen it yet but from the trailer it just doesnt look like the Mad Max I know as he just doesnt give you the feeling about a guy whos familiy was taken from and has lost all hope and just doesnt care anymore. Maybe his missing the “dead eye” look Mel had + I heard he gets second place in movie to furiousa, maybe after I see it will change my opinion.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw it. It was better than I expected it to be but it wasn't amazing.

Avatar image for jeanralphioisback
    JeanRalphioIsBack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated, and should have been called Feminist Road.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By dimitridkatsis

I saw the movie and everything I've said before stands, bloodiest scene is a far away shot of a man with a ripped face for a second, the practical effects and stunts are overused, they did nothing to make this interesting. This isn't an action milestone, watch The Raid, abandon Hollywood.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.