Follow

Mad Max: Fury Road

Movie » Mad Max: Fury Road released on May 15, 2015.

George Miller returns to the desolate world he created with "Fury Road", in which Mad Max Rockatansky joins forces with the Imperator Furiosa to free a group of slaves from the clutches of the insane warlord Immortan Joe.

Mad Max: Fury Road

• 95 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

It has been three decades since a new Mad Max movie opened in theaters. Now, writer-director George Miller's brought back the franchise in a huge way. Sure, Mad Max: Fury Road is technically a couple hours of a hectic chase sequence, but what makes it so awesome is the focus on practical effects, some insane stunts, and the huge amount of passion that went into building this weird and crazy post-apocalyptic world.

The plot is pretty simple. Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron) lives in a place that's run by a cruel warlord named Immortan Joe (Hugh Keays-Byrne). Fun fact: Hugh played the bad guy, Toecutter, in the first Mad Max movie. Anyway, Joe is holding several of his "wives" against their will and Furiosa, a character holding onto hope in a world where it's incredibly rare, has placed them in a heavily armored War Rig and plans to drive them to a paradise where they'll be free from Joe's control. "Mad" Max Rockatansky (Tom Hardy) gets caught in all of the craziness because he was previously captured by Joe's forces and he's then brought along in their efforts to chase the War Rig. Unlike Furiosa, Max is a man who's been rundown by this harsh world and he's focused on just one thing: his own survival. And no, you don't need to watch the previous Mad Max movies to enjoy this!

No Caption Provided

While the overall story may be all kinds of basic, what makes it way more interesting is all of the worldbuilding that's on display. Thanks to ridiculously impressive and detailed character designs, you can tell so many characters have a deeper story, one that isn't being fully revealed to us. And you know what? I love that. I'd much rather have it made crystal clear here and there that each character has way more depth and an interesting past than having this information blatantly fed to us through random displays of exposition. "Yes, I'm sad and here's why, person I just met!" I'm glad Theron's character never stops the story to tell us how she lost her arm, or how Max never spells out his past to his new allies. Things like that just don't need to be said -- not to mention they'd feel unnatural if they're just forced in there -- and when I left the theater, my fiance and I were talking for quite some time about these characters and the world they live in. Mad Max: Fury Road throws you into a place that is so odd yet it feels totally fleshed out and possible; it leaves you thinking about it. The overall story is generic, but the fact everything else is just so interesting and inventive makes up for that and then some.

If you want to witness one absolutely over-the-top and violent chase scene after another, Mad Max: Fury Road has exactly what you're looking for. Stunning amounts of destruction and enormous explosions aren't exactly anything new in action movies, but you can't help but appreciate the chaos in Mad Max: Fury Road way more because apparently a majority of these stunts are practical. That means these cars are actually flipping around and blowing up and people are really tied to polls and what not. It's incredible. CGI is used for things like Theron's arm, some environments and a few especially ridiculous things, but even then, it's all spectacular. For example, things that are blatantly CGI (e.g. a ginormous storm) are still gorgeous in their own twisted way. There's a lot of great shots in this movie and, aside from a couple shots making it a little tough to follow whether a character was killed or just injured, the action is presented consistently well. Simply put, it's a blast and a vast majority of it looks awesome. The focus on shades of orange and grey during the day really hit you with just how barren and depressing this world has become. At night, the striking shades of blue are an excellent contrast to what our eyes are usually experiencing during the movie.

Photo by Jasin Boland
    Photo by Jasin Boland

Aside from a few of the calmer, more character-driven moments, the score really, really boosted the energy in a lot of the fast-paced scenes. Plus, where else are you going to see a guy standing on the front of a vehicle, playing an electric guitar that also spews fire? Things like that will have one part of you thinking, "What the hell am I watching?" However, the rest of you will probably be thinking something like, "That's so absurd that it's amazing!"

Even though Mad Max's name is in the title, this really feels like it's Imperator Furiosa's story. Max gets plenty of love, but Imperator's journey serves as our emotional link to the movie. At this point in the universe, Max is emotionally distant and Hardy does a good job seeming detached and relying on basic, almost animalistic instincts at times. He still gets plenty of love and just enough depth, but Imperator is the one we're truly rooting for. She's badass and compelling; you want to see her succeed. She can be just as cold as Max at times, but you can tell the character has a lot of heart and when she finally does let some emotion out, it's handled so effectively. While Hardy's character shows us how this world can break a person and Theron's shows how it can motivate someone to fight even harder, Nicholas Hoult's character, Nux, gives us a look a just how much a tyrannical society can mess someone up and lead them to legitimately believe absolutely ridiculous things. Twists with his role never really surprised me, but it was a cool way to add an interesting character who gives us even more insight into Joe's disturbing society. Hoult gave a solid performance as his character transformed, too.

Photo by Jasin Boland
    Photo by Jasin Boland

After delivering so many jaw-dropping shots of madness, the final scene of the chase honestly feels like it's there just for the 3D crowd and it really seemed out of place. It's a brief shot, of course, but it's a disappointing way to conclude so much great fun. Additionally, it's a little bit of a let down the final stretch of the story didn't play out in a more original way. A character's fate is blatantly telegraphed and the ending did come off feeling pretty standard. Also, this won't impact the score because I'm not sure if it was just an issue at my local theater, but some of the dialogue was tough to understand. There were a few lines throughout the film that had me wishing subtitles were on.

Mad Max: Fury Road is two hours full of weird and thrilling craziness. On paper, the overall plot is pretty thin, but the way it's all presented is phenomenal. You're thrown into an impressively creative world and, in its own strange way, it's gorgeous and hits you with a ton of fun and exciting mayhem. Go see Mad Max: Fury Road, people. It's a lovely way to spend two hours.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Great review! Definitely want to see this one!

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Sploosh

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

All this praise it's getting and yet I still have no interest in watching it. It has a high rating on sites like Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes... but it's just not grabbing me. I'll see it when I see it I guess

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4 Lunacyde  Moderator

You got me....I have to see it now. I wasn't going to before but what the heck.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A guy with a guitar flamethrower.... just standing there throwing flames,,, amidst a car chase... in a world people are killing each other for fuel?

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lunacyde  Moderator

I do love Post-Apocalyptic Wastelands.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This movie is a masterpiece....some of the most beautiful shots I've seen in cinema, and of course some of if not the best action scenes. Guitar guy needs a spinoff

Avatar image for thekidfliessolo
    thekidfliessolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: I agree. I am sure it is an awesome movie, its just I have yet to get excited for it. I have watched the trailer a few times in theaters and I just can't quite get excited for it.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

Just saw it. The movie is f@cking amazing.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@k4tzm4n

Even though Mad Max's name is in the title, this really feels like it's Imperator Furiosa's story

I had read that this was one of the complaints on other websites.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

This review is pretty much on par with most reviews I've read. I am extremely excited for this movie and have been since the first trailer dropped.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

@frozen: Wasn't a complaint for me, Furiosa was great.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@frozen said:

@k4tzm4n

Even though Mad Max's name is in the title, this really feels like it's Imperator Furiosa's story

I had read that this was one of the complaints on other websites.

That's how Mad Max is meant to be.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mfundroid

Really want go watch it. Seems much better than A: AOU, which was good but not great. Certified Fresh with a 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, damn.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Really want go watch it. Seems much better than A: AOU, which was good but not great.

Yeah, I enjoyed it more than A: AoU. I liked Ex Machina more than that too, though.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Can't wait

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Oooh, I heard that film was awesome. Oh social life, nice knowing you.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sampsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw it. The movie is f@cking amazing.

Just watched it during my lunch break. I concur with the above assessment.

"I shall carry you through the gates of Valhalla myself, shiny and chrome!"

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really have no interest in this.. I mean.. Cars and post apocalyptic stories are usually the same in the end

^ I say this because i didn't read the review (for spoilers and what not) but because Katz put it at 5 stars I have to see it. Interesting how a movie such as this would gain some popularity. I haven't seen or heard of the old one either so I'll definitely watch this

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just walked out of the theater and yeah the movie is amazing.

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
    51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Me after seeing the trailer for Fury Road: "The day I'm attracted to a bald Charlize Theron is the day I stand out in the middle of a thunderstorm wearing a suit of metal."

It's raining right now.

I don't want to do this.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When people die in this movie is there blood when they get shot? Do we see vehicles running down people breaking their bodies? This is rated R right?

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dimitridkatsis: Believe it or not it's really not that bloody. There's blood but it's not excessive. Yeah people get ran over but it doesn't go into a lot of detail.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms: HAHAHAHA it was all bullsh!t wasn't it? They made a PG movie but promoted it as R, I heard kids go and see this like there's no problem, oh what a bunch of suckers we are.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_stegman  Moderator

@sampsman: UGH! Nux was crazy good! And just plain crazy.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
    thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This movie was amazing. How it set up an incredibly interesting universe and established character without losing the incredible tension and tempo was incredible. It gave all of the supporting characters personalities, and left Max almost one of the less interesting characters. This movie is one of the few blockbusters in a while to feel truly original. The movie is ultimately about the women, which i think is really cool. 10 outta 10

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

GREGGGGGGGG AGIAN!!!

and HOLY hell this is getting soooo many great reviews by everyone. it has 99% on ROTTEN ROMATOES!!!!!!!!! and over 9/10 on imdb!!!
    I GOTZ TO SEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

~MiB

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dimitridkatsis

How about profanity,does Immortan call Furiosa a b!tch, or say "she took my b!tches" or anything like that? I bet not. How about sexual violence, this is about a villain hunting down the women he was raping after all and would give his death scene some sort of satisfaction and add a much needed sort of plot to it all from what I hear instead of a big visually great not too detailed on violence chase with practical effects and good stuntwork. R is the new PG, and they call it a masterpiece, they've done it. No I haven't seen it, tell me I'm wrong.

Super_Mod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no interest in seeing this movie.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CaptainHoopla

I don't know when I'll get a chance to make it to the theater to see this, but I want to badly. I've actually heard the phrase "Oscar Worthy" mentioned with this film.

grinderkiller1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHAT A LOVELY DAY!!!

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

god I can't wait to see this tomorrow

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to see it in a few hours.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a fan of the original 3 movies it was really good. It would've been nice to see a cameo of Mel though. I also felt the story focused too much on Furiosa than Max. I was also hoping it was going to be a lot more violent an graphic but maybe there will be a unrated directors cut for that.

Thor_Ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 44

As a fan of the original 3 movies it was really good. It would've been nice to see a cameo of Mel though. I also felt the story focused too much on Furiosa than Max. I was also hoping it was going to be a lot more violent an graphic but maybe there will be a unrated directors cut for that.

Totally agree here. It was really a good movie, as movie. But it felt more like the story of Furiosa than a story of Max. You could take out Max of the movie and the story would be almost the same. Still is a good action movie set in the universe of Mad Max.

Greendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This movie was AWESOME!!!!

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great to read Gregg again on the vine.

Great review.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I had a feeling this was going to be a masterpiece

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to know this was not a disappointment, cant wait to see it now.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ando123

I'm gonna give this a try

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This was a really fun movie.

"Oh, what a day! What a lovely day!"

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sinikettu

The movie had some great action but IMO it was almost exhausting with its constant chase scenes and frenetic pace, I think it could have used a bit more 'breather episode'-expo's at points.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw it yesterday, and it was AWESOME !!!

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this praise it's getting and yet I still have no interest in watching it. It has a high rating on sites like Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes... but it's just not grabbing me. I'll see it when I see it I guess

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw Mad Max, I thought it was just incredible. It's the most fun I have had with a film in a long time.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.