Follow

Luther Strode

Character » Luther Strode appears in 24 issues.

Formerly a typical nerd and a target for bullies, Luther has developed some strange talents that have changed his life forever.

Why You Should Read THE STRANGE TALENT OF LUTHER STRODE

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Justin Jordan's six issue Image series isn't exactly for the faint of heart. It has gallons of blood and gore in its over the top action and more swearing than a man who just stubbed his toe. If that isn't your cup of tea, then feel free to stop reading right now. But, if you're seeking for something that essentially feels like Kick-Ass, Spider-Man and The Raid: Redemption on steroids, then stick around and let me tell you why you must read THE STRANGE TALENT OF LUTHER STRODE.

You've got red on you.
    You've got red on you.

Sure, Luther Strode's first volume is packed with absurdly graphic violence and a constant stream of four letter words, but as Jordan says in the TPB's introduction, the book is all about power. Let's be honest, we've all had to deal with people we weren't so fond of in school and I'm sure we all had different fantasies about how to put them in their place. And, even if you don't want to admit it, we've all dreamed of what it would be like to be superhuman. Be it flight, strength or any other power, the thought of one day waking up and having one of these grand abilities is more exciting than being a kid on Christmas morning. This book fulfills that fantasy for one kid (Luther, of course) and from there it's a phenomenal adventure as he tries to discover the best way to use his newfound abilities.

The punch heard around the hallway.
    The punch heard around the hallway.

Yes, this is a story we've seen plenty of times before (like I said above, Spider-Man and Kick-Ass are the most obvious comparisons). I mean, how many times have we seen the rookie hero realize they can use their powers to humiliate a bully? Plenty, of course, but despite that it's still a cheer-worthy moment. Jordan excels in making the fairly familiar story feel fresh and fills it with a likable cast of characters. The overall narrative with the villain is a little shallow, but this tale is all about the journey and this one absolutely delivers. You'll be treated to countless laughs and way more than a few moments that'll make your jaw hit the floor.

Yes, you truly are, Peter.
    Yes, you truly are, Peter.

Then there's ridiculously animated and visceral artwork by artist Tradd Moore and colorist Felipe Sobreiro. This is a book that primarily thrives on insanely powerful and downright absurd action, and these two nail it flawlessly. Every punch, every shot, every horrific kill -- they're talentedly brought to life and you'll feel 'em all. Trust me when I say there's quite a few scenes that'll leave you completely stunned. When it comes to over the top action, this book is among the best.

This image is rated PG compared to the rest of the fight.
    This image is rated PG compared to the rest of the fight.

If you do happen to fall in love with the title, you'll be thrilled to know Jordan and Moore's second volume is currently underway (THE LEGEND OF LUTHER STRODE). We're now four issues in and it has yet to disappoint. Everything I love about the first is on display here at full force and, even though I thought it was impossible, the fights reach insane new heights. The battle with Jack the Ripper alone makes it worth reading.

THE STRANGE TALENT OF LUTHER STRODE is awesomely gruesome, hilariously vulgar, and most of all, a total blast from the shocking opening scene to the grin-inducing final moments. Jordan's down-to-earth script and Moore & Sobreiro's beautiful yet cruel visuals makes this six issue series an outrageously good time that I highly recommend checking out.

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Google+ andTwitter pagein hopes of getting a new follower or two.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

down-to-earth script? yeah i'm calling BS.

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

It's one of best indie comics I ever read.It may not have a great story,but the characterizations and it's gruesome art make it one of the stellar comics in the recent times.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@thetimestreamer said:

down-to-earth script? yeah i'm calling BS.

He says to something that is clearly subjective.

So... I didn't find the dialogue to be practical and relatable? Thanks for correcting my opinion on it!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@k4tzm4n said:

Justin Jordan's six issue Image series isn't exactly for the faint of heart. It has gallons of blood and gore in its over the top action and more swearing than a man who just stubbed his toe. If that isn't your cup of tea, then feel free to stop reading right now.

Good article.

whitelantern64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What's this even about? the article was really vague as to the actual plot of this book.

andy_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What's this even about? the article was really vague as to the actual plot of this book.

"This book fulfills that fantasy [of having superpowers] for one kid (Luther, of course) and from there it's a phenomenal adventure as he tries to discover the best way to use his newfound abilities."

I doubt there's much more to it than that.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By longbowhunter

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Similar to Kick-Ass, but i liked it better.I'll be picking up "Legend" as soon as it hits TPB. Really put Tradd Moore and Justin Jordan on my radar.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I really need to get into Luther Strode here. I really, REALLY need to.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

I absolutely loved this book. You're totally right on calling it "absurd action", it's gory, over the top, and a hell of a lot of fun to see.

ectoborge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so glad this article got posted. I thought I was the only one who liked the book.

Hopefully Justin Jordan can work wonders on Red Lanterns.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not sure if I want to read it. Is the violence as mean spirited as in a lot of Mark Millars books? If that would be the case, I wouldn't enjoy it.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luther Strode; simply awesome

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

This is a very violent book but highly entertaining and the fight scenes are ridiculous. Must read series in my mind.

kunglu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kunglu

I enjoy this book a lot. I like the plot love the art and the action!

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By w0nd

I am not sure if I want to read it. Is the violence as mean spirited as in a lot of Mark Millars books? If that would be the case, I wouldn't enjoy it.

Well he does it to people who deserve it. It's no different then invincible where they puch people's guts out of their buttholes or have their jaws explode off their face.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Or35ti

I love these features, they're introducing me to so many good books I need to read :)

-The Renegade-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Yeah thanks a lot Katzman... you're making me spend my money....

Joking aside, I love these articles and I'm definitely going to pick this up. Thanks

Ludo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book was a really fun ride, I won't say Jordan is a genius but sure he knows how to create a truly crazy story.

ACPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the comic that got me back into comic books after being away for about 20 years. Loved every panel of it and recommend this to anyone who likes a bit of the ultra-violence and drama. The follow up, Legend of, is also superb.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By laflux

@k4tzm4n: Yes Yes Yes and Yes

I just find it funny that Luther Strode is your second favorite ongoing. How good must X O Manowar be?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@laflux said:

@k4tzm4n: Yes Yes Yes and Yes

I just find it funny that Luther Strode is your second favorite ongoing. How good must X O Manowar be?

On a scale of 1 to 10: awesome.

CalebHara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CalebHara

Honestly, i didn't know what all of the hype was about. Then i picked up a copy and started reading, im completely hooked.

Deaf65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One look at the synopsis of the first series in the Previews and decided to give it a shot. Glad I did and have no regrets about it! The combination of top notch plot, art, and coloring was a beauty to behold!!! It is not just about the violence, just how it was done as a whole book. The Legend series is still keeping the intensity up even more. We should keep our eyes on future projects by Justin Jordan and Trad Moore!!!

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd

Thanks! I will check it out then. I always liked Invincible and while its pretty violent, I never had that bad aftertaste with it that I get after I read the last few Millar books.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#25 BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@soumya said:

It's one of best indie comics I ever read.It may not have a great story,but the characterizations and it's gruesome art make it one of the stellar comics in the recent times.

This is gonna sound like I'm talking smack about Luther's books (which I'm not, I've been enjoying them since they started coming out), but what other indie comics are you reading?

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You've seen the Raid redemption? *High five* I thought I was the only one. Now back on topic, I really love how luther strode is sooo gruesome.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 k4tzm4n  Moderator

You've seen the Raid redemption? *High five* I thought I was the only one. Now back on topic, I really love how luther strode is sooo gruesome.

Seen it? I've praised it like a madman all over this site when it came out! I practically annoyed people into seeing it.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been meaning to, it looks really interesting. (Been meaning to read it.) This article plus the fact the Justin Jordan's gonna be at AwesomeCon might have just sealed the deal.

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By soumya

@buckshot: Right now I am also enjoying Chew.It's pretty good indie IMO

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@soumya said:

@buckshot: Right now I am also enjoying Chew.It's pretty good indie IMO

Chew is THE funniest ongoing atm, and one of the best books out there too.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@dabee said:

I've been meaning to, it looks really interesting. (Been meaning to read it.) This article plus the fact the Justin Jordan's gonna be at AwesomeCon might have just sealed the deal.

Hopefully you will check it out.

jason_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't say enough about it. Absolutely love it

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@jason_g said:

I assume you're reading the new series, too?

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jason_g said:

This. I actually got the TPB for a friend of mine as a Christmas gift. I can't remember him loving a book more and Legend has both of us waiting for the trade.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

K3vinkha0S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has some of the best art.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

too gruesome, like in invincible when they have major fights. pass

thegabrieness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved The Strange Talent, really did, specially Tradd Moore's art. It's completely over-the-top and often ridiculous amounts of violence but it has a great story, great characters and it just looks effin' good! Currently reading The Legend Of Luther Strode, the follow up to Strange Talent, i personally found it more of an action comic than anything else, great story too!

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A year too late I know but d@mn I like myself a violent comic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.