Follow

Luke Cage

Character » Luke Cage appears in 3079 issues.

Luke Cage, wrongly convicted and unjustly imprisoned, was altered in a failed prison experiment that granted him unbreakable skin and superhuman strength. With his street smarts and unending determination to do right, he fights for the common man! He eventually married Jessica Jones and had a daughter with her.

Should Power Man/Luke Cage Get A Strength Boost?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Captain13
    No Caption Provided

There seems to be a consensus that Luke's strength falls within the 25-30 ton range. When Luke first debuted, he was one of the strongest, baddest characters in the Marvel Universe.

But as other super strong characters have gotten more powerful over the years, Luke has stayed mostly the same, which means his strength hasn't really kept up with inflation. =} You see, the Thing went from being an 85 ton hero to a 100+ ton hero, and Colossus has gone from being a 70 ton hero to a 100+ ton hero. Even She-Hulk has entered the 100 ton club. Sure Power Man got a power boost in the 1990s, but--comparatively-- he's not as strong as you'd expect a guy named "Power Man" to be.

So maybe it's time for Marvel to give Luke that boost he deserves?

Now, I know what some of you are thinking. You're thinking, "Come on, Cap. Luke is supposed to be street level." But what is "street level" really?

Some say Spider-Man is the dividing line. Anyone more spectacular isn't street level, and anyone less spectacular is. But what about characters like Iron Fist? Danny can catch bullets and smash through helicarriers, but he's still "street level," right? There's nothing wrong with that either. With the threats Danny has to face and his lack of a precognitive sense or healing factor, he really needs to be able to do things like that to get by in the Marvel Universe. Additionally--getting back to "what is 'street level' really?"--Captain America isn't nearly as strong as Spider-Man, but he's beaten so many opponents stronger than himself that some consider him a cut above. So, "street-level" seems to have more to do with the threat than the hero. And as we've seen with guys like Iron Fist, you can always have a strong enough threat that seems to be "street level."

So, back to Luke. All I'm saying is, he should be Iron Fist's equal again--like the good old days; and he should be one of Marvel's premier strongmen again--like the good old days. Giving hime a power boost wouldn't make him any less street level than he is now. He shouldn't be Hulk strong or anything, but he should be Warpath (~80 tons at one point) or Colossus (100 tons) strong. IMO, at least.

And when the (New) Defenders rolls along, I guess Luke and Danny can be the Iron Man and Thor to Daredevil's Captain America.

Thoughts? Hopefully I haven't offended your sensibilities. =}

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By daredevil21134

No Caption Provided

There seems to be a consensus that Luke's strength falls within the 25-30 ton range. When Luke first debuted, he was one of the strongest, baddest characters in the Marvel Universe.

But as other super strong characters have gotten more powerful over the years, Luke has stayed mostly the same, which means his strength hasn't really kept up with inflation. =} You see, the Thing went from being an 85 ton hero to a 100+ ton hero, and Colossus has gone from being a 70 ton hero to a 100+ ton hero. Even She-Hulk has entered the 100 ton club. Sure Power Man got a power boost in the 1990s, but--comparatively-- he's not as strong as you'd expect a guy named "Power Man" to be.

So maybe it's time for Marvel to give Luke that boost he deserves?

Now, I know what some of you are thinking. You're thinking, "Come on, Cap. Luke is supposed to be street level." But what is "street level" really?

Some say Spider-Man is the dividing line. Anyone more spectacular isn't street level, and anyone less spectacular is. But what about characters like Iron Fist? Danny can catch bullets and smash through helicarriers, but he's still "street level," right? There's nothing wrong with that either. With the threats Danny has to face and his lack of a precognitive sense or healing factor, he really needs to be able to do things like that to get by in the Marvel Universe. Additionally--getting back to "what is 'street level' really?"--Captain America isn't nearly as strong as Spider-Man, but he's beaten so many opponents stronger than himself that some consider him a cut above. So, "street-level" seems to have more to do with the threat than the hero. And as we've seen with guys like Iron Fist, you can always have a strong enough threat that seems to be "street level."

So, back to Luke. All I'm saying is, he should be Iron Fist's equal again--like the good old days; and he should be one of Marvel's premier strongmen again--like the good old days. Giving hime a power boost wouldn't make him any less street level than he is now. He shouldn't be Hulk strong or anything, but he should be Warpath (~80 tons at one point) or Colossus (100 tons) strong. IMO, at least.

And when the (New) Defenders rolls along, I guess Luke and Danny can be the Iron Man and Thor to Daredevil's Captain America.

Thoughts? Hopefully I haven't offended your sensibilities. =}

I agree with you.Keep making these threads they're really interesting

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Making him a 40-50 tonner would be cool.

Juggy313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

He is definitely stronger than 40 or 50 tons right now... He is probably around 100 nowadays..

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

he's kinda like the thing right now. not the strongest but strong enough to hang with the heavy weights and make his victories look more awesome

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

he needs to be like the juggernaut.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.