Follow

Luke Cage

Character » Luke Cage appears in 3079 issues.

Luke Cage, wrongly convicted and unjustly imprisoned, was altered in a failed prison experiment that granted him unbreakable skin and superhuman strength. With his street smarts and unending determination to do right, he fights for the common man! He eventually married Jessica Jones and had a daughter with her.

Can Luke Cage be hurt by Wolverine's claws?

King Hercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By King Hercules

I was re-reading Secret Invasion today and really noticed an exchange between Cage and Wolverine. In book two, when Cage and Logan meet up in the jungle during the fight with the Skrull impostors from the ship, Wolverine threatens to "gut' Cage if he gets closer. Cage replies "Except you can't. Unbreakable skin". I know it's been stated by readers that he can as it is stated under Cage's bio here on the Vine, but is there proof that he can? Has this been stated in more official areas?

LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By LT1085

Didnt they have to use an adamantium or vibranium blade to open him up before for some surgery? Unbreakable to an extent, i can't imagine a nuke going off beside him and an empty burnt smelling but otherwise unscathed  luke cage skin fluttering down to the ground after the blast. On a side note, if adamantium is so rare then why does it deem that everything in the marvel universe is made of the stuff? Ryker's for example has 6 inch thick adamantium walls...WHAT?!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Wolverine could carve Cage like a Halloween Pumpkin if he wants.

King Hercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By King Hercules
    @Vance Astro said:

" Wolverine could carve Cage like a Halloween Pumpkin if he wants. "

But where is the proof of this? I know books are at the mercy of the writer, but it would be just dumb to have him make such a claim in the face of the possibility of being gutted.  And he did state to Wolverine that he can't. Have you seen him hurt by adamantium?

@LT1085:

They used a power drainer as far as a i know.
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Vortex13
    @Vance Astro said:
    " Wolverine could carve Cage like a Halloween Pumpkin if he wants. "
    I agree to an extent, but I'm assuming that there is a good deal of strength needed to get through Cage's skin. The reason I think this is that even if a blade is strong enough to stab all the way into a hard wood tree it takes a fair amount of strength to do it. By the way I'm talking stabbing not chopping. Even with chopping you need to have the tool, I.E. an ax, extended away from yourself to deliver more force. Chopping a tree with a hatchet is hard as hell, and seeing as wolverines claws come out of his hands I would think that they deliver less force than and ax. It was stated in thunderbolts that it's not just his skin that is tough, because when the new ant man tries to expand in Luke's stomach he can't break through it which he would be able to if it was a normal human. Maybe I misinterpreted that. I think it is a definite that someone can cut or even stab through Cage's skin but I think it's going to take more strength than Logan can deliver.
    Avatar image for thejuggernautpunch
    TheJuggernautpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes .

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vortex13
    @King Hercules: He has been hurt by adamantium before, I know that. I just don't remember where it happened. He has also been injured by laser's I believe.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Vortex13 said:
    " @King Hercules: He has been hurt by adamantium before, I know that. I just don't remember where it happened. He has also been injured by laser's I believe. "
    He hasn't been hurt by laser's but laser's have been used on him to perform surgery.
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vortex13
    @Vance Astro: ahhh, ok.
    King Hercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King Hercules

If anyone knows where this injury from adamantium has happen, please let me know.

@Vortex13:
    Your strength needed point could be the reason why Cage made the statement to Wolverine.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @King Hercules said:

" If anyone knows where this injury from adamantium has happen, please let me know.

@Vortex13: Your strength needed point could be the reason why Cage made the statement to Wolverine. "

Where did he make this statement? It could honestly just be Bendis's inability to read up on a characters history before writing things that go against what has been shown previously.
    King Hercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By King Hercules
    @Vance Astro said:

" @King Hercules said:

" If anyone knows where this injury from adamantium has happen, please let me know.

@Vortex13: Your strength needed point could be the reason why Cage made the statement to Wolverine. "

Where did he make this statement? It could honestly just be Bendis's inability to read up on a characters history before writing things that go against what has been shown previously. "
    Look in the Secret Invasion #2. I can post the scene if you need me to. I won't say that Bendis didn't read up on Cage, but he does seem bent on making him into a formidable character. Look at his fight with Wrecker.  He took several blows from his crowbar and keep coming.
    riotman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By riotman

Yea Cage skin is  like titanium or steel one of those. Wolverine could cut through him pretty easy.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vortex13
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @King Hercules said:

Where did he make this statement? It could honestly just be Bendis's inability to read up on a characters history before writing things that go against what has been shown previously. "
    I was just applying real world physics to it. I'm not saying it's true in the comics but that's what would be needed in real life, though Bendis does f##k up consistency and character history a lot so it could just be him doing that again.  I'm not gonna lie though I love seeing Cage take on tougher guys and holding his own,  even if he does lose I like seeing him not backing down. It's one of the reasons he's one of my favorite characters from Marvel.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @King Hercules said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " @King Hercules said:

Look in the Secret Invasion #2. I won't say that Bendis didn't read up on Cage, but he does seem bent on making him into a formidable character. Look at his fight with Wrecker.  He took several blows from his crowbar and keep coming. "
    Ok..I jut looked.What I don't understand about his exchange with Wolverine is if he actually knows whether Wolverine can gut him or not.He says "You can't,unbreakable skin." and Wolverine says "I have unbreakable claws." There's obviously a conflict of who can do what.Wolverine also initiates the conflict..first saying that he would gut Cage which leads me to believe Wolverine thought he could do it.He's met Cage prior to being an Avenger with him so he's well aware of his abilities.I assumed it was common knowledge that adamantium can cut Cage as every comic book bio datebase seems to be under the impression it can.Also according to different sources his skin is Titanium\Steel hard..both substances adamantium can cut through.
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vortex13
    @Vance Astro: I think adamantium can definitely cut him, I'm just wondering about how much force would be needed or if it's even addressed at all.
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Static Shock

Wolverine has cut Hulk before. Why not Luke, who isn't as durable as Hulk? Besides, Luke's skin is titanium hard, not as hard as adamantium.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @LT1085:
    i have this same thought all the time. It seems as easy to get as titanium
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Vortex13 said:
    " @Vance Astro: I think adamantium can definitely cut him, I'm just wondering about how much force would be needed or if it's even addressed at all. "
    I'm sure there is no doubt that Wolverine would have to add sufficient force to cut Cage.
    King Hercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By King Hercules
    @Static Shock said:
    " Wolverine has cut Hulk before. Why not Luke, who isn't as durable as Hulk? Besides, Luke's skin is titanium hard, not as hard as adamantium. "
    Hulk is being cut by much less these days. But as far as Cage, he is being shown to withstand more than what titanium is capable of withstanding. For example: The Wreckers crowbar.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @King Hercules said:
    " @Static Shock said:
    " Wolverine has cut Hulk before. Why not Luke, who isn't as durable as Hulk? Besides, Luke's skin is titanium hard, not as hard as adamantium. "
    Hulk is being cut by much less these days. But as far as Cage, he is being shown to withstand more than what titanium is capable of withstanding. For example: The Wreckers crowbar. "
    I don't agree with that.Bullets damn near break Cage's skin.You can't use the Wrecker thing as proof..not only has that Crowbar been severely depowered for the sake of PIS much weaker people have not been injured by that Crowbar...not to mention Thunderball made Cage bleed from the mouth with a punch so I doubt it the Crowbar was written to it's calibur like we've seen the Wrecker KO people like BRB and Herc and almost kill Thor and send various class 100's flying..I really doubt Cage could take it.Iron Man tossed him and injured him pretty badly so obviously the Crowbar has been taken down a couple pegs.
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Static Shock
    @King Hercules said:
    " Hulk is being cut by much less these days. But as far as Cage, he is being shown to withstand more than what titanium is capable of withstanding. For example: The Wreckers crowbar. "
    Is this said to mean that Wrecker's crowbar is harder than adamantium?
    King Hercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By King Hercules
    @Static Shock said:
    " @King Hercules said:
    " Hulk is being cut by much less these days. But as far as Cage, he is being shown to withstand more than what titanium is capable of withstanding. For example: The Wreckers crowbar. "
    Is this said to mean that Wrecker's crowbar is harder than adamantium? "

In a battle with Thor, Thor compared it to adamantium favorably. Or that may have been the Wrecker himself. Need to look for that issue and check.
    moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By moviegeek17

yeah i think wolverine could cut him. Admantium can cut through anythign but adamantium right?

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Static Shock
    @King Hercules: Please, if you find something, let me know. Just more stuff to prove that adamantium isn't 100% indestructible. :)
    Madmandrag00n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im not sure if i am remembering this correctly or not, but there was another story where Wolverine got brainwashed by A.I.M and they made him go around and kill other heroes. There was a scene where he killed Iron Fist and Luke Cage while they were trying to stop him from killing the president.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant say for sure but wolverine should be able to cut him especially if he has enough has enough force behind the attack

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.