trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@trebean said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

"The opening of the book is pretty awesome for fans of the new Lobo, as we see the final moments with the impostor Lobo, the one you remember from the 90s. He's a character that fits in the time he was created but doesn't work now."

That is your opinion. And it is wrong. Sorry Mat. Still love you though.

Really? Name one current successful Liefeld book right now, no worries. I'm waiting, heck isn't Spawn just the hottest comic in the block? And don't get me started on those Young Blood Fellers, man they sure know how to make a comic!

First off, Spawn isn't a Liefeld book. Secondly, Liefeld didn't create Lobo, so I have no idea why you brought him into the conversation. Thirdly, X-Force and Deadpool are both very successful books which spawned from the brain of Liefeld. Thank you and goodbye.

1st. Just because Spawn isn't a Liefeld Book doesn't mean it didn't benefit from the EXTREEME Mentality of the era.

2nd. Lobo was brought in to "mock" the likes of Liefeld, seeing as how Liefeld at himself already degraded into a joke, heck, a lot of people are already tired of people continually bashing Liefeld.

3rd. Deadpool became successful after Joe Kelly got his hands on him by turning him into a pseudo Joke Character from the 90s (Something that Liefeld then proceeded to rip off and claim it was all in his plan). X-Force hasn't had a stable series in years since the Remender Run, the current X-Force titles being sub-par, and the classic X-Force titles only fondly remembered for it's hilariously bad art and EXTREEMENESS.

@br_havoc said:

@trebean: Has DC not brought back the extreme style of comic storytelling and endless crossovers with the new 52? I think both Lobo can coexist as one is a parody of the recent thinking and business plans of DC comics, which is hey the 90's where great right? Guys like Lee where the orchestrator of the 90's era and he is now a big gun at DC. Liefield is just the guy people find easiest to mock but its not his fault people liked his books and art at one point in time. Guy's like Cappullo, Lee, Booth are all very much extreme artists yet plenty of new comic fans will adore there work but mock Liefeld or Mcfarlane's art for being out dated when there counter parts are as outdated.

So you can say the old Lobo is stale joke when in reality he is relevant, the problem being the stuff he was used to mock is now back in fashion just with a little more polish.

True, except not really, most big crossover events by DC are confined into their own corners and hardly ever breach until needed to, the same can be slightly be said true with Marvel. Lee, Cappullo, and Booth? Other than Booth, they pretty much matured from the EXTREEME Age of drawing, well, Lee probably missed a step or two. Cappullo on the other hand, if you saw his recent works on Batman has been ridiculously clean and gothic, only being intense and visual when needed, Booth isn't even that much of a revered artist.

Still, you brought a lot of great points.

@trebean said:

Fauxbo is a parody, if you didn't realize it, there's a running trend of mysterious, pretty boy, "Bad-Ass" right now. I mean c'mon, freaking Twilight started it and spawned off a plethora of shirtless young guys parading your screen.

No he isn't. I don't know why people keep saying this when it's so obviously not true. Give me one example of the character being played for laughs and not seriously, because so far there hasn't been a hint of parody from his characterization.

Let's see,

Mysterious tragic origin? Check

Pale white skin? Check

Dry catch-line? Check

A lone wolf? Check

Pseudo Bad Boy? Check

Over-Waxed Hair-do? Check

Unless you're definition of parody was something like any of the Wayans Brothers movies or the Scary Movie Series, he's pretty much an analogue of the current Wussification of Bad-Asses today. The Main Man (THE REAL LOBO) Summed it up himself pretty nicely.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@the_stegman said:

I actually liked this quite a bit.

Yeah, me too. It felt short though

A bit rushed, but I liked it as well.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53 the_stegman  Moderator

@saint_wildcard: It was definitely rushed, and did the fight with the "fake" Lobo happen in a different comic, or did we just jump in medias res? Cause I wanted to see that fight!!

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trebean: None of those elements are being used in a comedic fashion though. And no, I don't mean that they should make Lobo some brainless comedy for the lowest common denominator, but there hasn't been a hint of irony in any of his appearances.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@saint_wildcard: It was definitely rushed, and did the fight with the "fake" Lobo happen in a different comic, or did we just jump in medias res? Cause I wanted to see that fight!!

Not that i know of. His only appearances have been in JLU.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I enjoyed it. I don't think I'm going to like this Lobo as much as the original one, though. The original Lobo had deadpool like aditute, always joking.

Delcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they could have use the old lobo to find his place in the same niche of deadpool and harley quinn fans, everybody knows that this generic lobo is going to be cancelled in a few months like half new 52 comics

Kinasin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Kinasin_

What's up with this crap? Getting rid of the main man for some emo-metrosexual jabroni bastich? SMDH

Flyattractor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading this. It seems that someone in the DC editorial/executive has a hate for "Classic Lobo" but a pretty good hard on for the TweenieEmo "bad boys" like in the Twilight movies.

God I F-ing hate DC's "Nu52" era.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

A good, accurate review. I felt the same way ...

It was a good comic but not quite awesome ... tho it could definitely be an awesome story once the arc is complete ... I'll keep getting the next few issues and see how it goes

Avatar image for randolphdefreese1
    randolphdefreese1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why did they turn Lobo into Nightwing?

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Bottom Line Up Front: This incarnation doesn't mesh with either the intent of Grant and Bisley. It's arguable that it doesn't with what Giffen had in mind. For fans of the model that has been a part of canon for nearly 25 years - this new version will never satisfy.

Secondly, if you are busying yourself with discouraging people for voicing their dislike of a property they spend money on and take time out of their day to comment about - you're doing this hobby a disservice and you should probably check yourself as I sincerely doubt most of these brazen remarks would be offered in an interpersonal setting. If you like this new version of 'Lobo' - so be it.

I myself have been very vocal about this subject and disagree with @inferiorego though I appreciate his taking the time and effort to likewise express his opinion. It is my own opinion (voiced by others, to give them credit) that a property is not made obsolete simply by the passing of years. In case anyone hasn't been watching Harley-Davidson stock, there is still quite a bit of folks out there who identify with the outlaw identity.

Lastly, as it's been proposed, DC simply could have made a new character property (a villain to add to a rogues gallery) that represents everything this new incarnation does - perhaps even be another surviving Cznarian (gasp!) who is a brother or such that acts as a good foil to the character popularized over the last few decades.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Uhm. I really, really like this new Lobo. The art is spectacular, too. I'll leave it at that.

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64  Edited By Guerraa

Based on the number of comments here, there is a lot of interest in Lobo (be it good or bad). I might be the only one to feel this way, but I actually like both versions of Lobo. I wish they'd keep the old Lobo around to feud with new Lobo now and then. I was so fascinated by the buildup, but so letdown by the quick 2 page ending to the feud. Hoping there's more to it than that, but still disappointed by how it was handled.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.