Follow

Lobo

Character » Lobo appears in 1130 issues.

The last of the Czarnians, Lobo is known and feared across the universe as a bounty hunter who never misses his mark. Super-strong, immortal and unstoppable, the Main Man has frequently clashed with Superman, although they have on occasion found themselves on the same side.

Why DC changed Lobo, and why it makes sense

• 142 results
    Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@d3athstroke: Yes there was, he is a parody character, that's part of his character.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

No Caption Provided

Oh dear. Not even read a word of the new series yet, and now according to Bunn, "Lobo isn't just a name. It's also a status or position on Lobo's homeworld."

Which I guess at least means that the old Lobo is still who he IS. But Lobo is now a title, like Ronin or something. And no longer a Khundian dialect meaning: He who devours your entrails and thoroughly enjoys it.

Not a good start. Expectations dropping somewhat.

Wow what frack up. More evidence on how bad the New 52 is. F#%K this twilight f@G

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

If they wanted a new character to parody the pretty boys that's running around in movies these days, they could have invented a new character to portray that. There is not one single good reason for killing the other Lobo in order to do this. Heck, Bunn himself even revealed his original pitch had both Lobo's sharing a kind of violent buddy relationship with each other... that is a book I would have signed onto instantly.

But DC chose to make another of these stupid changes that seems to be done for people who aren't readers.

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

That's not why DC changed Lobo... And no, it does not make sense.

I still don't like this new so-called Lobo. He just isn't Lobo. He doesn't talk like him, he doesn't look like him, and he sure as hell don't act like him! He is nowhere near his regular power levels. He isn't even funny. Even IF this new "Lobo" is part of some attempt to satirize modern day pretty boy anti-heroes, it's still ridiculous to change the character the way they did. Why not create a new character? Might as well. This new guy is Lobo in name only*.

*Heck! Maybe not even that, since "Lobo" is now apparently just a title.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It doesn't make sense from a storytelling perspective. It just confuses everyone.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I. Good point.

II. You all want the original LOBO?

This GUY?

Really?
    Really?

III. For me it makes sense that the Main Main (Lobo) stole the name Lobo from the actual (new) Lobo. Besides the Main Man doesn't need the name Lobo to be who he is.

IV. I like this new Lobo. I like em both. You don't like it? Suck it up. Vote with your wallet. Stop complaining over trivial $#!%. Every year 2 million people die from dehydration. This "situation" is not an actual problem. (+)

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Bottom Line Up Front: This incarnation doesn't mesh with either the intent of Grant and Bisley. It's arguable that it doesn't with what Giffen had in mind. For fans of the model that has been a part of canon for nearly 25 years - this new version will never satisfy.

Secondly, if you are busying yourself with discouraging people for voicing their dislike of a property they spend money on and take time out of their day to comment about - you're doing this hobby a disservice and you should probably check yourself as I sincerely doubt most of these brazen remarks would be offered in an interpersonal setting. If you like this new version of 'Lobo' - so be it.

I expressed these thoughts on @inferiorego 's review and would like to again thank him for taking the time to post his thoughts. Again, for the dicussion here - it is my own opinion (voiced by others, to give them credit) that a property is not made obsolete simply by the passing of years. In case anyone hasn't been watching Harley-Davidson stock, there is still quite a bit of folks out there who identify with the outlaw identity.

If this new property is supposed to be the same as the previous, then why go through the up front production cost of paying creators for a new vision? The answer is that this isn't the same. Unlike Dazzler going back to a Sex Pistols looks instead of her usual Farrah Fawcett - this isn't a uniform change. These are important distinctions.

Lastly, as it's been proposed, DC simply could have made a new character property (a villain to add to a rogues gallery) that represents everything this new incarnation does - perhaps even be another surviving Cznarian (gasp!) who is a brother or such that acts as a good foil to the character popularized over the last few decades.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#109 inferiorego  Staff

I honestly don't think people realize he's a parody character

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lobo is a sellout.

Beata

TheDropkickJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, FEW THINGS.

One, sine the series is now on Issue 3? He sucks. New Lobo, sucks. He's not fun. He's boring. And he has no charisma.

As for the logic of this thread? Come on.

"HE STARTED OFF AS A PARODY."

So did Deadpool. As for OP, you tried to shoot that down. It's literally been said he's been a parody of Deathstroke. Should Deadpool change now? Would that make sense?

Yes, what Lobo was, was a parody of Wolverine, the tough guy characters. But then, he established his own community and was up there with Superman and Wonder Woman in the late 90's. He was his own character. He was no longer just a parody.

This comic sucks, and I can't wait till it dies out in a good two months, tops. That's just one more middle finger to DC that's incredibly justified.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#113  Edited By SC  Moderator

Just because something makes sense doesn't mean its necessarily good, intelligent or popular either. I mean that in a general sense. Specifically with Lobo he was born as a satirical character, that is true, but it would be a mistake to conclude that the character therefore needs to continue to parody or satirize other characters, that would ignore/dismiss the characters likability in other ways, and established history, personality, characteristics and so on. So it would also make a lot of sense if DC hypothetically kept Lobo being more consistent and familiar with his classic form because the character was likable and iconic and resonated with a lot of people even if over time the satirical elements of the characters foundation got a bit outdated - and hypothetically if that is the route DC decided to take, alternatively there would be good arguments as to why they should actually pursue a bold new direction by recreating Lobo to actually be what he is now in actuality.

Basically old and new Lobo has pros and cons. Personally if I was the one with creative power I would have just made new 52 Lobo original Lobo's younger brother, the iconic Lobo was too great a character to lose but the potential for new Lobo to be great is also there but I am just some guy online.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By sinikettu

@venomoustaco: You mean at the level where he rips out Shiva's arms and kicks the ass of heavenly & hellish host both at the same time? I think I still have that special tucked away somewhere in my collection.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping after all this time people would get it, but everyone is still hating on DC for changing Lobo. The reason they changed Lobo is because He is a Parody Character. Lobo was created by DC to mock characters of the 80's and 90's who were overly popular at the time.

These are the characters he parodied
    The result of the parody
    The result of the parody

Now in modern times, things have changed very drastically. Nowadays it's the slim, young, good looking anime type characters that are cool and overly popular. As such Lobo now needs to reflect that.

This is what he parodies now
    So this is the result
    So this is the result

So that's why he has changed. Don't get me wrong, I also miss the old Lobo, but his entire purpose as a character is to parody, so I don't mind the new one. Honestly I actually give a tip of the hat to DC for actually being this clever with the character.

Understandable..... but remember Lobo came PRIOR to all of the image characters. it's quite obvious he had a fan following. hell i myself have a good portion of my long box filled with his comics. and you say he's for parody?? so what is harley quinn for them ? she looks like she took that job from him as of current days. why ruin a kick ass character? also if you recall they were still using the "traditional" Lobo for a few different issues this year prior to the Twilight version of Lobo. i have a issue of Red Hood and a issue of injustice where the REAL lobo was in them. only thing different i can see that i can deal with and he doesn't look bad is now he has dreds as opposed to the big long rock star looking hair.

I really truely hope this series tanks and they bring the REAL MAIN MAN back. or even bring him back during this current series as this new lobo is a gag.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: Lobo is a parody character, the people who created him intended for him to be a parody, and he has always been written as a parody. Harley Quinn is not a parody character.

Maybe instead of being an ignorant fan and hoping it fails, you should try reading his series, it's written by Cullen Bunn, a phenomenal writer.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like making Wolverine emo.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: Lobo is a parody character, the people who created him intended for him to be a parody, and he has always been written as a parody. Harley Quinn is not a parody character.

Maybe instead of being an ignorant fan and hoping it fails, you should try reading his series, it's written by Cullen Bunn, a phenomenal writer.

She's not a parody character true, but why are they doing the same thing to her as they did with lobo in the 90s? tons of 1 shot issues, and everything is always a gag or not the norm with her. before you start spouting harley info to me im fully aware of everything about her. i own her first appearance from BA#12 and mad love because i've had them since they first came out.

Me personally their using her as what they did with Lobo in the 90s. Shes that funny off the wall character that all of sudden has gotten mad popular and now shes DC's cash cow.As for me trying the new series, naw i'll pass.... i'll just sit and wait til they bring the original back. i wouldn't waste my hard earned dollars for that.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@donmeca2020: the old Lobo was still in this universe but was "killed" by the new Lobo, and Injustice takes place in an alternate universe where Green Arrow still has his goatee, so they're using a universe close to pre-52

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: I'm not here to talk about Harley (and quite frankly I never want to, I cannot stand her).

If your going to be such an ignorant and uninformed reader, then you have no right to comment. So in the future, be quiet, and don't ruin good comics.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@donmeca2020: the old Lobo was still in this universe but was "killed" by the new Lobo, and Injustice takes place in an alternate universe where Green Arrow still has his goatee, so they're using a universe close to pre-52

i realized that.....

@donmeca2020: I'm not here to talk about Harley (and quite frankly I never want to, I cannot stand her).

If your going to be such an ignorant and uninformed reader, then you have no right to comment. So in the future, be quite, and don't ruin good comics.

ignorant coming from the guy who types quite instead of quiet.... i'm quite aware of everything. apparently i got someone's panties in a twist if that bothered you apolgize. im just doing what others do and stating my opinion and observations as others do on a FREE PUBLIC FORUM.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I honestly don't think people realize he's a parody character

I think they do know the popular version of him was, they just didn't care, because he still had that rediculous over the top appeal that the people he parodied had back in the day that made them popular in the first place. Liking stuff for the nostalgic appeal is what fuels the 2 biggest comic companies today after all.

Honestly, at this point, I am just waiting for DC to cancel the current series then wait for someone to bring 90'ties Lobo back... and push Sparklebo into a meat grinder before walking away with a cigar in his face and a muttering of 'fragger' on his way out.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: A minor spelling error dose not qualify ignorance.

It's fine to state your opinion and say it's not quite your cup of tea, but saying he's not a parody character is completely untrue. Also, before you say it's a bad decision or that you don't like it, maybe you should actually read the new series before saying so.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: you acted as if the injustice one was replaced, which he wasn't, and nobody has anything in a twist except apparently you

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By donmeca2020

@captainmarvel4ever: Once again how is he a "parody" character if he came out in 1983 in DC comics Omega men # 3? last i recall Image comics with all of their liefield characters was in the mid 90s. do you mean his appearance in the 90s was a parody? naa... i don't belive so. You can say and believe as you want, and i'll also buy what comics i choose to purchase. As far as giving the new one a shot? i wouldn't waste a dime on it.

@mrnoital said:

@donmeca2020: you acted as if the injustice one was replaced, which he wasn't, and nobody has anything in a twist except apparently you

No Caption Provided

No sweetheart. Only time i've seen the ORIGINAL Lobo was in this issue. other then that, the real version has been MIA.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: Lobo didn't look that way when he was first created, go look at pictures of him when he was first made.

Your loss

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: the other version hasn't been in any issues, so there's absolutely no reason to complain about that "sweetheart"

there hasn't been any reason for any Lobo to be in it at all, so getting that one at all is a plus, there is no need to whine

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: Lobo didn't look that way when he was first created, go look at pictures of him when he was first made.

Your loss

I know how he looked... i have that issue. he was wearing a a purple and orange suit. still had the pale white skin and red eyes though.

@mrnoital said:

@donmeca2020: the other version hasn't been in any issues, so there's absolutely no reason to complain about that "sweetheart"

there hasn't been any reason for any Lobo to be in it at all, so getting that one at all is a plus, there is no need to whine

It's not a plus its a Mockery to the original. and i can vent as much as i please. this is a comic forum for christ sakes....

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmeca2020: so the original being in Injustice is a mockery? your just complaining about everything now

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@donmeca2020: so the original being in Injustice is a mockery? your just complaining about everything now

NO NO NO.... im saying the NEW Lobo, you know with the emo style hairdo. all young and twilight movieish.. that one is.

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the new emo space Elvis LOBO he is lame and I hope his book gets shit caned.

To the OP I disagree with your logic I think you give DC to much credit. Also this new guy dose not I repeat dose not have the same personality as the old (and much better) LOBO if you think they do you should go read some old LOBO stuff.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So has lobo been canceled yet?

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F***k this new gayish little twerp. Real Lobo is the one from that cover.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: gosh...I hope he realizes that he's still a parody as he ever was...

Unless he's that ignorant...

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#138  Edited By DrF8

I understand why they did it. I don't care. Lobo was and is a parody character, but everyone liked him the way he was. All his fanbase was there becaus ethey liked the character he was. Now he is this slim, soft talking little gay dude. It's just not cool. I can understand why DC did it. He has to parody what's "cool" now. But i still want the old Lobo back as a real character with a title, because i liked the old Lobo not the new one.

No Caption Provided

This is Lobo

They could've kept the old Lobo. He would've still parody the 80's. Most people would love that and understand that. And they could've created a new character, give him another name and that would be it. There would be 2 space bounty hunters.

They are nothing alike. I don't understand what you meant by that. One was a big, muscled, vulgar loudmouth and the second one is a skinny, slim, soft talking youngling.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By w0nd

@lifeofvibe said:

@w0nd: gosh...I hope he realizes that he's still a parody as he ever was...

Unless he's that ignorant...

He didn't intend for the new 52 lobo to be a parody. there was the tween I send, and then there is another tweet sent asking if he intended the new one to be a parody and he said no. If I can find it I will screen shot it.

the new one just got one punched off the planet by superman lol. I liked that quite a bit. He actually seemed to roll over for superman...

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Main Man is the boss

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone understand WHY DC did this. They just don't care. His fans liked him just the way he was.

juicyfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Rpgesus

F***k this new gayish little twerp. Real Lobo is the one from that cover.

absolutely the change was garbage

Avatar image for thegothikknight
    TheGothikKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just want to jump in...

Ok, we saw "2" LOBOs. Sleek Lobo, Trashed and supposely killing the Brute Lobo... We all agree?

Now. DC is going to focus on the new Sleek Lobo for now. That could change if this new Sleek Lobo is not popular, and doesn't sell product/books... This is how Comic Book companies work... The Brute Lobo could return at some point. Figure 2 years or so at least...

Here is the rub... DC's Lobo already has a Built in reason for Sleek Lobo and Brute Lobo, without the Title coming into it...

Czarains can Reproduce from their blood being spilt, right ?? We font need to see it in work, it was already established in the past...

Ok, both LOBOs could be LOBO. And Neither might be the Original Lobo ('83)... Both could be Blood-Spawn Clones of the true original Lobo. And the Blood-spawn Clones have a peeking order among themselves, as to who is the "The Main Man"... All thinking they are the original, but are not. And deep down know they aren't too...

So at some point we may have Brute Lobo return. The Sleek Lobo does not have to disappear either. And at some point, we may have a Legion of LOBOs, each slightly different and their own personalities...

Multiple LOBOs, would not be a bad idea. Each one could parody a Different thing too... The Female Superhero parody version, the Gay Superheroes parody, and many more...

Heck, we could even find out LOBO's Race never was killed off. Living sonewhere else. That Brute & Sleek Lobo's planet may have been a colony world at one time...

A Halfway good writer can make this work. If they put thought into it for change...

Me, I'm hoping we get Multiple Lobo versions soon. All coexisting... Plus it help Lobo Parody a current Trend in Superheroes, the Super-Family syndrome. Bat-family, Superman Family, Shazam Family, Lantern Corps, Firestorm Mayrix family, Wonder Family, Flash Family, Aqua Family... And more, and that's just DC itself... lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.