Follow

Lobo

Character » Lobo appears in 1129 issues.

The last of the Czarnians, Lobo is known and feared across the universe as a bounty hunter who never misses his mark. Super-strong, immortal and unstoppable, the Main Man has frequently clashed with Superman, although they have on occasion found themselves on the same side.

huh....ok.

ArcadiaExeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By ArcadiaExeter
    No Caption Provided
    Yeah. it came out today.....and its good. I didnt want to like it, and i still hate that he looks like he belongs in teen titans, but his personality is spot on. They finally wrote Lobo correctly after 20+ years. i hate to say it but i might kinda hope they keep up this version of Lobo. my only wish is that they make him look like his balls dropped.
    StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty much what I thought would happen, he's a good character, he's just not Lobo.

And even though this change in particular is still for the worst, at least the result isn't bad like the majority of unnecesary N52 changes, at least this new "Lobo" is somewhat interesting, not like the new Question or the new Creeper who not only have absolutely nothing to do with the original characters, but the new characters aren't even good. Let's just hope they don't drop the ball with this new Lobert Pattinson.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what to think of him now...the personality...but that look...I...I...I don't know...

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

Loved this issue.

ArcadiaExeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strangeman: ive seen a lot of people say "its good but its not Lobo" and it makes me wonder who exactly they think Lobo is? if you base your idea of Lobo off of the early l.e.g.i.o.n version and his back story from the original Lobo mini, I think this Lobo is actually much more loyal to that Lobo then anything since his l.e.g.i.o.n run. so what in your opinion makes him "not lobo"?

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arcadiaexeter: his look reflects his atitude towards things so yeah that's not lobo

ArcadiaExeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i agree the look is terrible, but if the look is the only thing that people judge a character on, then they are missing the point of characters.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lifeofvibe

@arcadiaexeter: its called flounderization it can go both ways lobo attitude towards thing everything is what he became or a character look is what his atittude toward things become the first one is what lobo became

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By StrangeMan

@arcadiaexeter: I'm more of a fan of the über-satirical Lobo from his first ongoing and onward, he's one of the most over the top characters I know and one of the main characteristics that set him apart, and this version pretty much throws that away.

But you're right, this new version is, in a sense, more loyal to his original depiction, personally I think the character outgrew that side of him and developed into something more interesting later on, making the ridiculous nature of him and his adventures a main characteristic of his, as I said earlier, but that's not to say it's the only thing that's important to the character. The thing that should never be left out of his character is his sadistic nature and his gray morality, something that this new version really shows, and I applaud that, but I still think they shouldn't have thrown away the fact that he's a parody.

Let me put it this way: I can imagine the old Lobo in the place of this new Lobo in the new Justice League issue, with the more serious vibe that it sent compared to the usual Lobo stories, but I can't imagine this new Lobo doing stuff like getting banned from both Hell and Heaven. That's how I think this is not Lobo, we lost that whole side of him, we'll never get to see stuff like that ever again, well, sure, they can write him into a ridiculous story like that, but it won't be as effective and, hell, it'll be incredible akward seeing this pretty boy acting like an extreme macho man. This is why the desing of a character is important, the fact that Lobo looked like a biker added to his parody aspect and made him funnier when he was in comedic stories, but you could still take him seriously, something that this new Lobo seems to lack. The old Lobo had the possibility of going with either comedic or more serious stories, this new Lobo does have that possibility as well, I mean, any character could be featured in comedies and more dramatic stories, but the old Lobo could do them both and make them seem very natural for the character, if you try to make the new Lobo do half the ridiculous things the old Lobo did it would feel incredibly forced and not nearly as funny.

But the reason why I'm so angry is that they took the last humorous character DC had to offer and sucked all the charm from him, can you honestly tell me 5 current DC Comics where you constantly find yourself laughing? Because I can't, I can tell you a couple little moments here and there like Orion slapping Wonder Woman's ass, but it still doesn't help the fact that DC is a lifeless melodramatic world with no room for laughs now, I wouldn't care as much if DC was more diverse with the characters' personalities, if Billy Batson was still an optimistic little kid, if the JLI was still a superhero sitcom, if The Creeper wasn't a goddamn demon, but Lobo was the only hope I had for DC to deliver something more than just "extreme take-this-shit seriously" titles, now all we can do is wait until they suck all the fun out of Plastic Man and we're set. Because melodrama = maturity, according to DiDio's and Co. dumbass logic.

I'm sorry about textwalling you, but I'm pretty pissed, I try to be indifferent and not care anymore, but it's hard when morons are constantly screwing up characters you loved ever since you were a kid.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I didn't really enjoy it much

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@strangeman: I agree. I heard recently in the Harley Quinn Villains Month they had her kill people (including children) for no reason. Really DC? First you take the look away from her and make her unrecognizable. Now after I finally I got use and accepted her looking like that they have her do something un-Harley like.

Plus it makes no sense to screw with Lobo's design. It was perfect it showed who he was and who we know him to be. Plus, new readers are most likely coming from the Injustice game just like how new Marvel readers are coming from the Marvel movies. They will most likely recognize Lobo from his look in the game.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SideburnGuru

@arcadiaexeter said:

@strangeman: ive seen a lot of people say "its good but its not Lobo" and it makes me wonder who exactly they think Lobo is? if you base your idea of Lobo off of the early l.e.g.i.o.n version and his back story from the original Lobo mini, I think this Lobo is actually much more loyal to that Lobo then anything since his l.e.g.i.o.n run. so what in your opinion makes him "not lobo"?

No, it's not Lobo. I'm sorry, but I strongly, STONGLY disagree with everything you posted. You can read my thread on it.

Lobo was, even at the start, a trash talking, cursing, foul bad-a*s, but you wouldn't mess with him. This Lobo? No, his humor is that of someone like Deadpool trying to sound smart.

He seems well-mannered, his jokes are horrid, there's no cursing, no classic Lobo catchphrases, no motorcycle, no trashy look. I STRONGLY disagree with your whole post.

The writing was cliche. The fact they put the main man on the cover, but the little b**ch in the comic is nothing like Lobo.

So that's why I think he's not Lobo. He's not trashed out. He seems more careful, where as Lobo was care-free. While Lobo had hidden intelligence, this guy just seems like an average intelligent being. I can no longer think this is a character that can rival Superman.

Hell, I'd be surprised if the little b**ch could rival Justice Friends Aquaman.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

@mercy_ said:

Loved this issue.

I can see it being liked, but loved? Eh, there's not enough there to even love.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

Loved this issue.

There's nothing there to like, to me at least. I'm not even mad at the fact of how much they screwed over him look wise. I'm mad about how lame they made him.

He's just another bad ass in the comic realm now. That's it. With no unique look. No nothing. If this is DC's new direction? DC is dead to me.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoyelite said:

@mercy_ said:

Loved this issue.

There's nothing there to like, to me at least. I'm not even mad at the fact of how much they screwed over him look wise. I'm mad about how lame they made him.

He's just another bad ass in the comic realm now. That's it. With no unique look. No nothing. If this is DC's new direction? DC is dead to me.

Well some people(mostly people who weren't fans of the old Lobo) like the new direction.

That said there really wasn't much to the issue itself so I can't see why anyone would actually "love" itl.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SideburnGuru

@sideburnguru said:

@decoyelite said:

@mercy_ said:

Loved this issue.

Well some people(mostly people who weren't fans of the old Lobo) like the new direction.

That said there really wasn't much to the issue itself so I can't see why anyone would actually "love" itl.

Even then, I almost find it wrong they'd support it. And I hate to be that guy, tearing down other people's opinions, but I wish they would see the point here. DC is screwing over a character that had a nice following behind him. They're making a whole new character from it, while flipping off the old fans.

It's like, I'm not a huge fan of Batman. Would I be mad if they turned him into a blonde, Hollister wearing, preppy talking, gold tighted anti-hero?

You're damn right. Because it's not Batman, and it would ruin the point behind him. Even if I liked the new character, which I wouldn't if that was the case, I'd be smart enough to see why supporting such a huge, character change would be wrong.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

@decoyelite: I'd give it an 8.5/10, but I was not into old Lobo at all, so I'm biased to the fact that this issue actually got me interested in the character for the first time ever. Plus, the art is top notch.

Even then, I almost find it wrong they'd support it. And I hate to be that guy, tearing down other people's opinions, but I wish they would see the point here. DC is screwing over a character that had a nice following behind him. They're making a whole new character from it, while flipping off the old fans.

It's like, I'm not a huge fan of Batman. Would I be mad if they turned him into a blonde, Hollister wearing, preppy talking, gold tighted anti-hero?

You're damn right. Because it's not Batman, and it would ruin the point behind him. Even if I liked the new character, which I wouldn't if that was the case, I'd be smart enough to see why supporting such a huge, character change would be wrong.

Fully respect and understand this opinion, but it's just not where I'm coming from on this issue.

DC's a business, bottom of the line. At the end of the day their job is to bring in new readers and sustain them. They are admittedly, not very good at this. But every now and then, they will change things up in a big way in order to draw in those readers and to simultaneously appeal to the majority as opposed to the niche fans of a character.

Somebody somewhere posted about how the old incarnation of Lobo was basically the epitome of the 90's and fads that were going on at that time. The current Lobo kind of feels like that to me right now.

It sucks when a character you love gets changed a lot. Hell, Oracle was one of my favorites and while the core of her is still there, there's so much different. I don't like it at all. I've been a big detractor of that. So I understand that I come off hypocritical here and I absolutely understand where you're coming from on this.

But the thing is...it's a reboot. Things change. Sometimes in ways that we HATE. One of my favorite characters (Cass Cain) doesn't even EXIST anymore.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SideburnGuru

@mercy_ said:

@decoyelite: I'd give it an 8.5/10, but I was not into old Lobo at all, so I'm biased to the fact that this issue actually got me interested in the character for the first time ever. Plus, the art is top notch.

@sideburnguru said:

Fully respect and understand this opinion, but it's just not where I'm coming from on this issue.

DC's a business, bottom of the line. At the end of the day their job is to bring in new readers and sustain them. They are admittedly, not very good at this. But every now and then, they will change things up in a big way in order to draw in those readers and to simultaneously appeal to the majority as opposed to the niche fans of a character.

Somebody somewhere posted about how the old incarnation of Lobo was basically the epitome of the 90's and fads that were going on at that time. The current Lobo kind of feels like that to me right now.

It sucks when a character you love gets changed a lot. Hell, Oracle was one of my favorites and while the core of her is still there, there's so much different. I don't like it at all. I've been a big detractor of that. So I understand that I come off hypocritical here and I absolutely understand where you're coming from on this.

But the thing is...it's a reboot. Things change. Sometimes in ways that we HATE. One of my favorite characters (Cass Cain) doesn't even EXIST anymore.

But that's the point? Me, personally, in all honesty? I've hardly been buying DC comics for awhile now. Yeah, people can say "THAT'S IMMATURE. NEW 52 IS HERE TO CHANGE." I will never, ever respect DC for what they did.

I do not think taking away all the history in hopes they gain new readers, at the expense of all their dedicated readers before hand was right. I think they're slummy as hell, and I only wished failure upon them since that day, because it was messed up. No one here can tell me differently. It was a marketing ploy to get in new readers, and it barely worked.

That being said, I can't even consider this a reboot. Hell, I don't think it counts at all. This is a whole new character. And I get what you're saying with the Oracle thing, and Cass Cain. I'm with you on that, and I hate it too. But this is a bigger slap in the face, at least to me.

They described it as this. "THE LOBO WE ALL KNOW, AND HAVE COME TO LOVE IS FAKE." That alone is a slap in the face, and another one of DC's bi*ch moves. Really? Calling a character that has been around for how many years, having us all love the character is fake? That's pathetic. It's horrible business, and it's DC not having any idea what to do with a character except starting all over because that's all DC is capable of doing.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Huh, I guess I'm just harder to pull into an issue or somethin'. Well good to hear some people enjoyed the issue at least.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

on the art of the comic iam going to disagree with some people i think its to clean i mean where is all the blood, hell Nubo bleeds more than his enemies. it also has the same problem as Gotham in Batman zero year its to bright and calm the places lobo goes should look mean and nasty

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I wouldn't mind him as a different character but no he isn't Lobo.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He LIED to the guy he PROMISED would be ok, even going so far as to call him "brother." I tweeted The writer about this and she said he'd break promises to those he deems beneath him.

He ain't worthy of the name.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.