Follow

Lizard

Character » Lizard appears in 1031 issues.

During an experiment, Dr. Curtis Connors accidentally turned himself into a ferocious reptilian monster who seeks to turn humans into lizards like himself. The Lizard is one of Spider-Man’s oldest and deadliest foes while ironically, his alter ego is a close friend and former teacher of Spidey’s alter ego, Peter Parker.

Why Fans Deserve The Lizard in the 'Amazing Spider-Man' Film

• 94 results
    SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By SimonM7

Emo Peter cited as the reason Spidey 3 sucked only tells me that people can't deal with the irreverence with which Raimi deals with darker themes. People take offence because the movie doesn't portray everything with dead seriousness. Emo Peter is pitched as a Grease/1960's bad boy pastiche, and it's played humorously while maintaining the point it's trying to make and the role it plays in the movie.

If you look at Raimi's other work you'll find similar absurdist stylistic choices in the middle of much grimmer imagery. He's similar to Joss Whedon in that he undercuts seriousness with humour, but he does it in a far more punky and irreverent way. That's a big fuck you to people who WANT his stuff to be The Dark Knight, but the fact that it isn't is precisely why his Spider-Man works. It is rooted in real human emotion, but it's set against a deliberately stylized backdrop.

Spider-Man 3 is a result of too many cooks in the kitchen. If you actually take the time to identify the narrative threads and the themes it explores - the gray area between right and wrong, good and evil, the exploration of a hero as a villain and villain as hero - and untangle them from, oh, let's say one of the most convoluted set-ups for a super villain there are in Spider-Man comics, it's a perfectly fine story arc. The end result leaves no time to properly examine any of its plot threads properly, however, and it needs to hurry from one beat to the next. Emo Peter is not a sign of that film's shortcomings, on the contrary emo Peter is extremely deliberate, but I'll grant that it may be Raimi getting too comfortable injecting his offbeat style into a mainstream movie.

Amazing Spider-Man has, in early reviews of screenings, been referred to as the Twilight version of the Spider-Man story, and the good news is that it most likely points to an abundance of sobriety in its storytelling. That should be enough to service those that couldn't accept the fact that Raimi's films knew they were sorta silly, rolled with it and made that fact their own - but rather prefer that a film takes on a brave face and pitches things straight.

It's incredibly frustrating to hear people calling out Raimi and shitting on the previous movies because they couldn't deal with their tone, but hopefully now every Spidey fan has a film that suits their particular stylistic needs.

Personally, I'm just kinda bummed that everything seems to be an Oscorp mutant in this new film universe. I was sorta hoping for a mid-90s fantastical approach so we could see some more modern villains realised. I never really thought Venom fit with Raimi's established pseudo-scientific reality, whereas a reboot could've paved way for all that stuff by being more blatant sci-fi.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need a 3 minute expert on the Lizard G-man.

I'm gonna catch bat-fanboy hell for this but I really don't see how Amazing Spider-Man can be labeled as "comic books for the Twilight generation" and Nolan's Batman films aren't. Is the fact that one is a teenager and one is an adult really make that much of a difference? To me watching Peter talk about how he's not good enough for Gwen (if you don't know what I'm referring to check out the latest extended trailer) really that much different of a mood and self-analysis to watching Bruce sitting in a chair holding his cowl in his hands as he laments the death of Rachel and not being able to truly be with her like he wanted to. Does the fact that there is magic in Thor automatically mean its a film pandering to the Harry Potter generation? Absolutely not. Its the same generalization crap that always occurs with critics that drives me nuts. Same type of labeling was thrown around when everything was "emo" (I still really don't understand that term because everything that was labeled emo I can point to a classical example such as a play from Shakespeare and say its the same thing and people would get offended).

If you've read Spider-Man long enough you know that this character has a lot of self-doubt and fears and that's what makes him such a great hero because he can rise above all of that to use his powers responsibly. The canon of Spider-Man was filled with these emotions, conflictions, and self-doubts well before Twilight or any such labeling suddenly became popular or the comparision to everything else. If Spider-Man can survive for 50 years with such negative self-reflection and doubt mixed in with amazing actions, villains, supporting cast, and stories then why can't a film version do the exact same thing?

I mean, Iron Man, Thor, Batman, Captain America, even Superman (more in Superman Returns than the previous films) showcased the doubt and negative self-reflection that superheroes can have (and have more and more these days I guess) and everyone has enjoyed seeing that vulnerability and rise above it (well, maybe not so much in Superman Returns but here's hoping with Man of Steel). Nobody has labeled these characterizations as pandering to the Twilight crowd so it seems the only conclusion we can take away from this is that because those characters are adults and Spider-Man is a teenager he is put through a different standard and viewing glass. That's really sad and pathetic of us the audience as well as professional critics to make such a distinction (if indeed you do) when you consider that Spider-Man is the only one of these characters that started being a superhero as a high school teenager (and with luck by the end of this film he'll still be in high school) and it was that aspect, age, and problems his character dealt with that made him so popular to kids, teenagers, and adults. All the other characters had to be given these types of vulnerabilities (and I'm not adding in tragic origins as part of that.....separate issue) to make them more interesting so how is it that its now all suddenly reversed and the traits that defined Spider-Man are somehow ok for every other superhero film but not okay for the one film that's based on a character most of these traits came from?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#53  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@kennyshat said:

I liked this article, it was well written, but I kind of hate the title. "Fans deserve" smacks of entitlement that I really really hate.

So what you're saying is that I suck at writing titles?

I agree with this... lol

Avatar image for spiderman20991992
    spiderman20991992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

why does this movie come out on a Tuesday??

mhanson108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By mhanson108

I say were lucky just to see Spidey on the big screen again! Sure it wont be exactly what everybody wants it to be but I'm excited to just see Spiderman in another form.

el_Sergomatico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By el_Sergomatico

Billy om nom nom nom

infinite_gems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By infinite_gems

one of the best villains indeed

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By Mucklefluga

Barely Watchable is AWESOME!! :D

Mrakbarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By Mrakbarman

Didnt we see this 'Im your out of control role model please say something inspirational and i'll stop and behave' in spiderman 2? ( Otto Octavius )

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Video_Martian

Lizard in this film looks kinda meh to me.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#61  Edited By RedOwl_1

NOT FAIR I'm going to watch it the 6 (premiere on my country D:) or 7, NOT FAIR (at least I saw the Avengers before the premiere in USA >:D)

NyxEquitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By NyxEquitis

@inferiorego said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

"Change this horrible intro"...?

@NyxEquitis said:

"Years of set-up have finally come to this... change this horrible intro"

Wait, what? Slightly confused here.

lol.... Looks like I forgot to change the horrible intro..... that's a behind the scenes blooper for you.

now you know that I belittle my own writing in rough drafts.

Haha, its cool man, it just seemed to be rather out of place, which evidently it was. That explains a lot, thanks.

Replicant0658

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Replicant0658

Words cannot describe how stoked I am for this movie, July 3rd needs to hurry up and get here already!! (although I agree, it IS pretty wierd that they're releasing it on a Tuesday...) =/

When I first heard they were rebooting the franchise to have Peter in high school and that the Lizard was going to be his first villain, I thought, "well that makes sense. You can't have Peter battle the Green Goblin again cuz that's already been done, and given that he's just a teenager getting used to his powers, a villain like the Lizard who doesn't pose as serious of a threat as say Doc Ock would be a perfect foe to test his mettle."

And then I saw the trailer, and I am pleased to say I was proven wrong. They DID make the villain a serious threat, no doubt thanks to his humanoid nature as he will probably possess humanoid thinking. Judging from the trailers where Conners says "you want the truth about your parents Peter? Come and get them!" Conners seems to be in more control of his powers here, possibly even able to change at will, which only adds to his elevated threat level in my eyes. Villains are always better when they have some sort of connections to the hero, it just makes their fights that much more meaningful, and the fact that Conners is somehow connected to Peter's father only adds to that.

All in all, I'm excited for this movie on every aspect imagineable! Ultimate Spider-man is my all time favorite Spidey comic and it's about time we got a movie featuring the adventures of high school Spidey!

Replicant0658

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Replicant0658

@SimonM7 said:

If you look at Raimi's other work you'll find similar absurdist stylistic choices in the middle of much grimmer imagery. He's similar to Joss Whedon in that he undercuts seriousness with humour, but he does it in a far more punky and irreverent way.

True, but the main issue was that it was just a blatant betrayal of the character. Sure Joss Whedon is quirky in all of his works, but if you look at The Avengers, every character sounded exactly like they should, regardless of whether they were being funny or not. In the scenes where Captain America or Bruce Banner were being funny, they still sounded like Captain America and Bruce Banner, which is precisely why Whedon was able to get away with it; because he stayed true to the characters. I respect the fact that Sam Raimi has his signature style and sure it worked in the first two Spidey films, but the reason Emo Peter just didn't work was because it was just something the character would never do on ANY spectrum. At that moment it takes you out of the movie and suddenly you don't see Peter Parker anymore, you just see Sam Raimi telling Toby McGuire to start dancing when he walks out of the store.

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By PaperDemon

Im glad about the lizard he is one of my favorites, but i was kind of looking forward to the rumors about Carnage. I was wondering what would happen since they killed off venom. Would venom come back in this series? or green goblin for that matter? Im not sure but i am really curious on how this new series will turn out.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#66  Edited By kennybaese
    @inferiorego *chuckle* Pretty much. It was weird, I liked the article itself, but the title bugged me.

I'm definitely looking forward to the movie, but I'm kind of bummed that Raimi never did the Lizard. I feel like his version of the character would be completely insane.
    Tinkerbell123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Tinkerbell123

@Zaklops: Electro would be AWESOME!!!!

Dave6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Dave6

Movie looks good but, they should have "Carnage" as a villain sooner or later or maybe even "Morbius". With the doctor finally transforming into the lizard with his experiments this opens up windows for "Morbius" and other classic villains. Who knows what other things he has been experimenting on in his lab.....?

Exlor1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Exlor1986

I don't really care about the Lizard, but I'm sure interested that Mary Jane is finally booted in favor of Gwen.

DaMainMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DaMainMan

Finally! I didn't like that "Venom" in III, never cared for Doc Ock and was sick of the Goblin! Give me a villain that will test Spidey to the limit will scaring the snot out of folks!

austashr23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By austashr23

The Amazing Spider-Man is flat out they best comic book series

ladymastermind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ladymastermind

I never really got into the spiderman movies. But I think this spidey movie looks really cool.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#73  Edited By jointron33

@PaperDemon: um.....this is a reboot

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

The Lizard is probably the main reason why I'm even excited for this movie...on top of my gal Emma playing GS. I definitely am looking forward to this movie.

What? Dem fighting words, mister. Emma is my gal!

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#75  Edited By lostlantern13

@the_fallen11 said:

People who dont like the Lizard clearly have not read "Torment" or "Shed" b/c he is a terrifying character in both of those stories. I Love the Lizard and Im excited for his upcoming appearance the comic as well as the film.

I know the design of the "Shed" Lizard has polarized people, but the story was very, very good.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76  Edited By bloggerboy

I don't get the argument.

Was Connors in the two last Spidey movies? Yes. Did he needed to become the Lizard? No. I was glad he was there but at no point was I disapointed on how they portrayed his character. The movies didn't build him up to be the Lizard. He had a different (and small) role to play.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By JamDamage

after seeing the trailers I'm excited for this movie. At the very least the fight scenes look like they'll be pretty damn intense. More violent then I think people are going expect. I bet parents are going to complain that scared their kids.

edtie97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By edtie97

My spider sences are tingling telling me this is probably going to be a pretty good movie.

spideriron1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By spideriron1

This movie will be what it is promising "amazing". This looks really good and I love how the Lizard is in this because he is one of my favorite Spiderman characters!

GrimRealities

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By GrimRealities

I really can't get excited about this movie at all. I mean the Lizard...surely there was a better villian for a reboot and I really didn't think we needed another origin story movie. I'll see it eventually but I will likely wait for a DVD/BluRay release.

DarthHavok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#81  Edited By DarthHavok

im could not be happier with this reboot no offence to sam rami but the three he did were pish things like having a 30 year old playing a high school student the hack job they pulled on venom this come from someone who has been a spiderman fan since i could read and prob before this i have a spidey tat on my chest so to see this new reboot is really good everything about this film the cast the suit the uk opening date happens to be my birthday bonus going back to the last three the only good thing about them was alfred molina playing doc ock was outstanding

sithfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 57

#82  Edited By sithfrog

I have never been a huge Lizard fan, but I am excited about this movie. Spidey's a great character and SM3 left a bad taste in my mouth, so I am glad that it looks like we will have a great film for the ol' Web-Head. Also, comes out on my birthday, so gotta love that.

Goji64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Goji64

@202122 said:

Meh to the Lizard I would prefer Rhino

IKR

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#84  Edited By MysterioMaximus

I simply don't understand all the hate for this movie. I think it looks light-years ahead of the Raimi films...which I always found over-the-top levels of obnoxiously campy. So I wrote this to counteract the misconceptions going around about the flick: http://aggressivecomix.com/?p=1142

I also never quite understood the popularity of Venom and Carnage...when someone like Lizard offers so much more depth.

Harddrivexxii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Harddrivexxii

I have no problem with Lizard in this movie and can't wait to see it - Scorpion or Rhino would be good secondary villains for the second one possibly working for someone like Kraven or a returning Norman Osborn.

hitacubb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By hitacubb

I'll be watching this movie 100 times over

Avatar image for heroic_warrior76
    heroic_warrior76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By heroic_warrior76

That is awesome but The Lizard as a main Marvel Supervillain in the original Tobey Maguire and Sam Raimi Spider-Man Movie Version is still even better.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#88  Edited By TheMess1428

I still would have preferred Emma Stone as Mary Jane and Taylor Momsen as Gwen but I'm still excited for it.

GrimRealities

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By GrimRealities

I'm not sure people 'hate' the movie (mostly considering its not out yet) but just aren't interested or excited by it. I'm really excited for The Dark Knight Rises but alot of people I've spoken too feel its going to be a let down and are uninterested by the trailers and that's okay with me. I've never really liked the Lizard as a character and honestly I'm not really a big Spider-Man fan either but I enjoyed 2 of the previous Spider-Man films, I'm just really not inspired to watch this based on what I've seen of it so far.

SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By SimonM7

@Replicant0658 said:

@SimonM7 said:

If you look at Raimi's other work you'll find similar absurdist stylistic choices in the middle of much grimmer imagery. He's similar to Joss Whedon in that he undercuts seriousness with humour, but he does it in a far more punky and irreverent way.

True, but the main issue was that it was just a blatant betrayal of the character. Sure Joss Whedon is quirky in all of his works, but if you look at The Avengers, every character sounded exactly like they should, regardless of whether they were being funny or not. In the scenes where Captain America or Bruce Banner were being funny, they still sounded like Captain America and Bruce Banner, which is precisely why Whedon was able to get away with it; because he stayed true to the characters. I respect the fact that Sam Raimi has his signature style and sure it worked in the first two Spidey films, but the reason Emo Peter just didn't work was because it was just something the character would never do on ANY spectrum. At that moment it takes you out of the movie and suddenly you don't see Peter Parker anymore, you just see Sam Raimi telling Toby McGuire to start dancing when he walks out of the store.

Haha, yeah that's a fair point. Although I don't quite feel that way about it. :)

I get your distinction between breaking tone and - at least ostensibly - breaking character, but I reckon that's a part of it. You're right that the banter between Stark and co is kept on level, but look at something like Loke trying to zap Tony and failing. Those scenes definitely "break character", but I don't think they break the "reality" of the scene or diminish what's being said. There are two things that still keep emo Peter within bounds for me. First of all I don't feel it's out of character to have his idea of "bad boy" be a dorky, misfiring John Travolta. The films themselves are very clearly done up in a pseudo 60s way already, with a naivety to their characterisations and a vivid colour palette with lots of yellow and red. The scenes shift into semi musical gear (where, at least if you accept a musical you accept that people suddenly start singing, "outside" of the reality of the film) and evoke something like The Mask, but that goes back to the stylistic choices, which again I think may be too extreme for the broad appeal the film's supposed to have.

I don't think the fact that he's an arrogant douche is lost, and you don't feel any less bad for the people he walking over. It doesn't diminish what's being said. Really, I'm just bummed that its catalyst is alien goo, and not fame getting to his head the way it was in the original script. That, if anything, does diminish what's being said. When you're dealing with a film that's meant to show that it's not always as simple as "good" and "evil" it's kinda awkward when your flaws can be blamed on an evil suit.

RJJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By RJJR

@RedheadedAtrocitus: Spider-Man stood out from other superhero types not only because he questioned himself but because he had the best array of villains. The tension between the B-movie monster Lizard and Spider-Man's loyalty to the man who has been his mentor and teacher always added an edge to the character's appearances; I skipped the third Raimi Spidey movie because, after setting up Dr. Connors in the first two films, the Lizard never appears.

It's interesting to see what an adaptor uses, and what he leaves out. The doomed Gwen Stacy, left out of the first trilogy, finally shows up. The British review I read praised her character. Maybe the fourth time is the charm....

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By dvorak

I'm really excited for this film, as seeing the Lizard in a film has taken too long. I still hope that there is at least one more minor villain though, even if it's just in a montage or teaser for the next film. Maybe you could throw Rhino in there as an aside?

I think a 'Joker Card' moment might be the most tasteful way to do it, though.

chriskeenan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By chriskeenan

im scared of what they are planning on doing to the spidey story line but i will be seeing it with an open mind

Clifftothemax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Clifftothemax

@202122 said:

Meh to the Lizard I would prefer Rhino

Rhino's not really the kind of character who works as well as a "main" villain. Plus, he's in the video game.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.