Follow

Livewire

Character » Livewire appears in 125 issues.

Originally a shock-jock, Leslie Willis is turned into electricity-based super villain known as Livewire.

Livewire Rising

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

Edited By Joygirl

Over the past few years I've been noticing a certain character showing up from time to time in comics, usually without any reason, or even a plotline of any sort of importance. She shows up, says a few quick lines, gets absolutely annihilated by whoever she's up against (regardless of whoever she's up against), and is then forgotten about completely.

Now, this happens from time to time with different characters. It's called “jobbing” by most and it's something that tends to be universally disliked and mocked. This phenomenon is most pronounced when the jobbing character is someone with no business being defeated by anyone at all.

This is about one of these characters, a Superman villain by the name of Livewire. It's about time someone spoke out for her.

Livewire is a tough nut to crack. She's one of those characters that gained enough popularity to jump ship from cartoons to comics (like the characters Harley Quinn and Firestar), even though it took her almost a decade to do so. However, during her time within the DC universe, she's fluctuated so wildly that it's difficult to tell whether or not we're even seeing the same character at all.

Leslie Willis, better known as Livewire, hit the scene on Superman: The Animated Series in 1997. She was a legitimate (and serious) threat to the Man of Steel, and while he obviously managed to use her single glaring weakness (water) against her by the end of the episode, she got an encore not long later, teaming up with Parasite and showing once again that not only was she powerful, she was cunning, ruthless, and just downright nasty. Even as a normal human, Leslie was a viciously sharp-tongued “shock jock”, a radio personality who thrived on slander so wicked it bordered on illegal. Now, in the cartoon, Livewire develops her powers after an encounter with a lighting storm that used Superman as a conductor to give Leslie some kind of vaguely-defined electrical abilities (if only Lex Luthor – already a big fan of her show – had found out about this! I have a feeling he'd make an army of kryptonian-conducted super lightning-people).

No Caption Provided

Being a generally bad person before getting superpowers, waking up with white skin, blue hair, and the ability to turn herself into an avatar of elemental electricity and magnetism drives Leslie to evil pretty instantly. She focuses on Superman right away (since it's his show), and things get ugly fast. Livewire has the ability to completely control anything and everything that runs off of electricity (all at once), can move at light-speed, become living energy, and most importantly, blast Superman to her heart's content. Unable to harm her in any way, they play a savage game of cat-and-mouse (with Leslie as the cat), until Supes finally manages to exploit her one and only weakness – water.

Now, in my personal opinion, this episode (along with the sequel that uses both her and Parasite), established a very cool character. In a world of increasingly-sympathetic or gray-shaded villains, Livewire was refreshingly awful. There was no motivation to her crimes, no rhyme or reason. She was bad to the bone and that was all there was to it. Superman accidentally gives you incredible electrical superpowers? Great! In that case, let's terrorize and kill him!

Now, I can't say exactly how she rose to popularity, but for me personally, it was this combination of bad attitude, cool design, and incredible voice-acting (hi, Lori Petty!) that made Livewire a quick star. She even eventually got a “bad girls” crossover episode where Supergirl and Batgirl take on Livewire, Harley Quinn, and Poison Ivy, which immediately established Leslie as the alpha-female even among these better-known and obviously deadly femme fatales.

Honestly, it wasn't until 2006 that the character got... a little funny. She made her comic debut in Action Comics #835, under the pen of the thoroughly-adored Gail Simone.

No Caption Provided

However, it was quickly apparent that things with Livewire aren't quite... the same, as they were before. Leslie still starts off as a shock jock and generally despicable human being, but she is also given a strong feminist angle right out the gate. Her origin is not only changed – it is removed. Leslie loses her job for being too volatile, but even before that she is simply shown... having these unusual abilities. Whether she always had them, or psychically anticipated the fact that she was about to be fired (this causing her to develop superpowers for no reason at all), is never explained.

No Caption Provided

This is where inconsistencies begin. Livewire has no origin story – she merely goes berserk after getting fired, and it's only a few panels before bodies start to hit the floor. While she is still shown using electrical control over a city-full of television screens, and making Supes say uncle, her speed now... no longer exists. Her ability to become living, intangible energy also vanishes, and even Superman acknowledges that she is no longer a force of energy – she's a normal, albeit powered, human.

No Caption Provided

This Livewire starts off her new career of being comically humiliated in her opening issue, by getting pegged by a hamburger....

No Caption Provided

...Not to mention shin-kicked by a small child. She threatens to incinerate him for it, but it still happens.

No Caption Provided

Eventually, she is defeated by Superman who, rather than simply flicking her (which seems that it would be quite effective, considering that she was hurt by a little boy), pulls her up into the atmosphere and beats her using lightning.

Yup.

Lightning.

He beats Livewire with lightning.

I mean... I guess that's the idea I'd come up with too if I was fighting against an electrical superhuman. Fry her with lightning, right? But hey, as long as it works for you, Supes.

Her humiliation does not end with her debut, however. She is later casually defeated by Stephanie Brown, and even Misfit – a teleporter with slightly-above-average stats.

No Caption Provided

What happened? I can understand a few weaker showings – everyone has some. But when did Livewire go from a nearly-unstoppable, bad-to-the-bone Superman villain, to a D-list pretender who can get one-shotted by Batgirl?

We haven't seen Leslie Willis or Livewire within the New 52 yet. I suppose we can always just wait and see what happens to her, but after her treatment turned her into a literal joke, it may be a while before DC Comics decides to give her a moment in the limelight again. Hopefully, when they finally do, we'll see a return to the implacable, omnipotent bad girl so many people loved in Superman: TAS.

No Caption Provided

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Cool stuff, I remember seeing her in JLU episodes and I wondered what had become of her.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By rav4

If ever you're down about your favorite character being jobbed out to someone else, just remember... it could always be worse. You could be Livewire.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Thank you !

Truly honey, thank you for making this. I rack my brain from time to time, Trying to understand Superman writers or DC's attitude when it comes to the B and C list rouges, of not just the Big Blue, but pretty much any rogues outside of the Bat and the Flash. Livewire was and is always entertaining, and a character the works well for the Superman Myth. She should be a high B-lister.

Gwahlur_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wow...I wasn't familiar with the character, but I feel I understand her better after reading this than I would have if I had done the research myself. Great work! I hope to see more like this!

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

First off, great overview :)

I have to wonder, though. Is it possible that they made her too overpowered in the show to legitimately make the transfer to the comics? Sure, her getting one-shot but Batgirl is a little inane, but it sounds like if they truly kept her powers as they'd been she could one-shot Superman.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Joygirl

@akbogert:

She couldn't one-shot him in the cartoon. Just hurt him, fried him, evaded him, etc., and he had to find an alternate way of defeating her. That's how villains are supposed to work... legitimate threats that require work to defeat. Not just punching bags in vapor-wear.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

@joygirl: Hm. Well I guess it just sounds like she was a bit OP. Doesn't excuse them for making her a joke though.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@akbogert: Villains, well the some of the best ones are supposed to be the antisepsis of a character. Flash(Wally) bolts in with out thinking Captain Cold uses his cool intellect to beat him ;). Luther uses power and money to rival the small town champion ;)

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

i never really noticed it till now, the ONE comic i have with her in it, i think she gets owned pretty easily by the Flash.

there seems to be some stigma against villains who originate in cartoons with a few exceptions like Harley

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, so that's what happened to her, eh? Well hopefully they bring back that totally B-A livewire from before.

And she'd be cool in Injustice.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lykopis

What an incredibly interesting character. I don't understand the mindset behind depowering such a fantastic villian -- I would definitely love seeing her go up against Superman (or any other hero in the DC Universe). What a waste of a character -- hopefully a writer will recognize the potential in Livewire, especially through fantastic write-ups like this.

Very informative and fun to read. It's great getting to know lesser known characters and their histories - hopefully you will do more of these.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wow, the treatment of this character is -really- bad, its really sad when that happens.. I thought Killer Croc had it bad (he should be like in the Arkham Asylum games really).

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae:

He certainly still does... but getting one-shotted by Stephanie Brown is seriously the lowest of the low. I am embarrassed for her.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

Very very nice write-up! But...I feel bad for this character. It seems like a mockery of them...fans must freaking HATE it! :(

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Joygirl
    dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@joygirl: Thanks for making this. It was frustrating to find out that her comic book version was such a gimp character. I loved her STAS version and Lori Petty was the perfect voice for that character.

Thorion88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

After reading that, I do feel sorry for Livewire. She was a interesting and cool villainess from the STAS. But eh her comic counterpart. bleh, it's iek they just said "screw it" and just jobbed her.

Reminds me of one of my favorite B level Superman villains aka Atomic Skull, Joesph Martin, the second one went down the jobber list as well. He went from being a cool mentally imbalanced character who can actual hurt Superman in fist fights to be "grr me monster" jobber character after Underworld Unleashed. I would have liked to seen him become a hero like what he claimed to do after Underworld Unleashed but nothing came from it neither. No reason why he became a thug.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idle bump.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

I have mixed feelings about Livewire. I feel like her Superman TAS incarnation was incredible (Thanks mostly to Lori Petty's awesome voice acting and a snarky sense of humor) and I loved her in that one Batman New Adventures episode. At the same time, I do feel like she isn't really very unique as a character. Nothing really stands out about her persay. Still, I will agree that she is highly underused and I would like to see more of her, under the condition that she could develop into something more unique.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have mixed feelings about Livewire. I feel like her Superman TAS incarnation was incredible (Thanks mostly to Lori Petty's awesome voice acting and a snarky sense of humor) and I loved her in that one Batman New Adventures episode. At the same time, I do feel like she isn't really very unique as a character. Nothing really stands out about her persay. Still, I will agree that she is highly underused and I would like to see more of her, under the condition that she could develop into something more unique.

Her personality is what stands out. Sure, her powerset is similar to Static/Electro/etc. but Livewire was just so deliciously nasty and fun to watch.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@spideyivydaredevilfan26 said:

Her personality is what stands out. Sure, her powerset is similar to Static/Electro/etc. but Livewire was just so deliciously nasty and fun to watch.

True, but I don't think she's been given enough attention to bring her nastiness to it's extremes. I would love to see her slowly fry a whole team of her critics alive like it was nothing. But as of now, she's a funny b*tch with an awesome voice and fun dialogue that we've seen quite a few times before, in better developed ways.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

True, but I don't think she's been given enough attention to bring her nastiness to it's extremes. I would love to see her slowly fry a whole team of her critics alive like it was nothing. But as of now, she's a funny b*tch with an awesome voice and fun dialogue that we've seen quite a few times before, in better developed ways.

The only reason Livewire was never developed better is because the instant she made the jump to comics she got her ass beat by a little boy and nobody cared anymore. Nobody wants to root for a villain who can get taken out by a hamburger.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@joygirl said:

The only reason Livewire was never developed better is because the instant she made the jump to comics she got her ass beat by a little boy and nobody cared anymore. Nobody wants to root for a villain who can get taken out by a hamburger.

I rooted for SUPERMAN PRIME for God's sakes...I have no problem rooting for a well written Livewire. And plenty of top-tier villains and characters started out as jokes (Lex Luthor and Daredevil are the first to come to mind)

Avatar image for deactivated-1358091
    deactivated-1358091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: By making this thread, you would now probably understand why I lose my sh!t whenever I see Spectre job.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: By making this thread, you would now probably understand why I lose my sh!t whenever I see Spectre job.

Totally.

deactivated-1358091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Joygirl
    deactivated-1358091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Superguy1591

@sithlantern93: is that emo Naz?

Anyway, Superman's rogues are the most underutilized bunch in comics.

Livewire fans shouldn't take it personaly.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Marie? That's Double D's woman, Eddy is breaking bro code here.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Marie? That's Double D's woman, Eddy is breaking bro code here.

Are you really surprised? Eddy has no honor.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: I guess Lee is going to have to rearrange some faces. =D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.