Follow

Lightsaber

Object » Lightsaber appears in 1032 issues.

A weapon in the Star Wars Universe associated with the Jedi and the Sith.

Who best wields a lightsaber in the Star Wars Universe?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Deranged Midget

I've always wondered who was the best duelist. I've always heard it was Mace Windu but we can never really tell. Could Anakin have defeated Obi-wan at the end of ROTS or was Kenobi the superior lightsaber wielder? I dont know much about the extended universe the comics have created so feel free to add in.  
    The contestants include:  
    -Obi-Wan Kenobi 
    -Anakin Skywalker(1-3 films)
    -Emperor Palpatine 
    -Darth Vader(4-6 films) 
    -Mace Windu 
    -Yoda 
    -Luke Skywalker 
    -Galen Marek aka Starkiller(Force Unleashed) 
    -Qui-Gon Jinn 
    -Count Dooku 
    -General Grievous 
    -Darth Maul 
    -Kyle Katarn( Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Academy)

Also on the subject. Was Qui-Gon Jinn at his prime when he died? Could he have become more powerful? 

BK-77-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BK-77-7

I would say Darth Vader or the Emperor.  Although Vader is slower than Anikin, Vader has the more powerful and Offensive type Sabre fighting style.  Sidious is supposed to be the fastest and best Sabre fighter ever and know every form and is ambidextrous.  I like Vader more and techinilcy he has killed people more than Sidious WITH his light sabre.

Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Backflip

I'd say it was Windu. He beat Sidious, fair and square. Potentially, its due too his mastery of Vaapad, but still, Mace has this. 

I think you have to remember that every form has a different advatage over another. Obi Wan's Soresu is primarily defensive, and will keep you alive longer. But Count Dooku uses Makashi, which is specified for Lightsaber combat, which may be why he beat Obi Wan, yet lost to the more dominant Djem So form. Overall, Yoda had mastered all forms, but in the Expanded Universe, it was said multiple times that Windu was the greatest swordsman of the Jedi Order.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

From that list? Mace or Luke. Luke's a freak in the EU.

SystemID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SystemID
    @FadeToBlackBolt

From that list? Luke. He's a freak in the EU.

this.

The Grandmaster is sick with it.

Then Windu.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Mace Windu, easy.

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
    war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By war of light_2814

EU Luke is a beast

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Overpowered Luke: EU.
    Then Mace Windu.

Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayso4201

I don't think its fair to put Luke in there, as far post trilogy he's the measuring stick, there is no one else to compare him to really.  Anybody he goes against he's already trained.  
    My vote is Obi-Wan maybe not the greatest but he beat, Darth Maul, Greivous, and Anakin, a pretty impressive list, in my book. 
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    @Jayso4201 said:
    " I don't think its fair to put Luke in there, as far post trilogy he's the measuring stick, there is no one else to compare him to really.  Anybody he goes against he's already trained.  My vote is Obi-Wan maybe not the greatest but he beat, Darth Maul, Greivous, and Anakin, a pretty impressive list, in my book.  "
    Mace Windu would destroy Obi-Wan. But there is a book and comic universe of Star Wars, which they call the Expanded Universe which goes beyond the films.
    weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By weaponxx

Luke comes in first.... then I am not sure. To me it is a little ambiguous, but Windu would be a close for the second position. 

Planewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Planewalker

Luke as the Grand master is known as the most powerful Jedi alive so seeing that he alone and his son Ben killed 12 sith without a scratch, and Luke beat down a Sith master and apprentice on his own. have to say Luke Skywalker is the best duelist in the Star wars uni...

in the old republic, Mace probably the Best 3rd Yoda 

Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jayso4201
    @Supreme Marvel:
    I am aware of the EU, I have been a fan of it since Dark Forces: Jedi Knight, and the Admiral Thrawn Trilogy. Although I am not the utmost authority on all things the Force I can hold my own, I was merely commenting on Obi-Wan's accomplishments and how great they were.
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Luke has been described as being the greatest lightsaber duelist of all time, followed closely by Palpatine and Mace Windu.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By Deranged Midget

In ROTS, it looked like Yoda was superior to Palpatine with a lightsaber. Might be just me though :P

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Larkin1388
    @Deranged Midget: Agreeable, who can really fight a superball with a lightsaber. 

As far as the best dualist, I imagine no one is unbeatable, someone will always be better than someone else... 

Qui-Gon may have been in his prime, but from what ive come to understand about the force is that their is always room for improvement so i think he could've become more powerful...
    LordWhis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LordWhis

Obi-wan, Windu himself admitted that his skill with a lightsaber surpassed his own.

Avatar image for levi_hajdar_501st
    Levi_Hajdar_501st

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In episode 3, Yoda refused to let Obi Wan face Palpatine because he knew he was no match for him, but when Windu fought him, (if Anakin had not intervened) he would have beaten Palpatine, which makes Windu better, personaly, due to his possession and use of vaapad, his lightsaber skills are probably the best of the new order (discluding the old Republic as there skills in the force and swordsmanship were far more concentrated). But to be honest the best swordsman would probably have to be that of the sith as there anger and hatred for everything gives them extra power, for example, Dooku is worth 2 jedi, Palpatine is worth at least 3 (as proved in ROTS) and Maul is worth about 2 jedi aswell, out of every jedi and sith, I would have to say it's between Maul and Windu, now fair enough, Windu possesses vaapad, but that's just people's excuse and a reason to say that Windu is the best, but if you watch TPM, just look at Mauls speed, aggression, agility, endurance etc, it would definitely be a tough match between the two, I can't realy decide... But then a few years after the battle of Endor, Luke was receiving further training from Obi Wan and then HE became the best, you can't just say the best ever though, you have to be specific to the time period, like at the time of the old Republic and before, Darth Revan (despite a lack of feats) was considered one of the best duelists, if you then fast forward to the clone wars, then, like I said, it would have to be between Windu and Maul, then after the time of the rebellion, it would be Luke...

Avatar image for master_of_all_fantasy
    Master_of_All_Fantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luke or Sidious. Who ever wins first the other wins seconds then yoda, then caedus, then EU vader if I can use it, then dooku, then windu. So no windu isn't the best.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.