Follow

Lex Luthor

Character » Lex Luthor appears in 4366 issues.

Lex Luthor, Superman's arch-nemesis, is one of the most brilliant men alive, whose hatred of "interfering aliens" pushes him down the path of a sociopath. Known for his "ends justifies the means" approach to life, his single-minded and often brutal focus puts him at odds with The Man of Steel. Luthor is arguably DC Comics' most iconic villain.

Terry O'Quinn is up for the role of Lex Luthor!

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

no idea on this guy but it is safe to say lex confirmed now i guess

Director Zack Snyder confirmed during the recent "Man of Steel" live fan event that Lex Luthor will be featured in some capacity in the 2015 follow-up to "Man of Steel".

While it is currently unknown who will ultimately portray the iconic villain, one actor who is rumored to be among those in contention for the role is Terry O'Quinn who is best remembered for playing the character John Locke on the hit television series "Lost".

Sources close to the production, which recently set up offices in Detroit, MI which will double as Gotham City, have indicated that O'Quinn is on the short list of actors Snyder is considering for the part that was only hinted at in the first film.

As opposed to big screen roles which have included appearances in "Silver Bullet" and "The Rocketeer", O'Quinn is better known for his guest roles on such TV shows as "Miami Vice," "The West Wing," "Star Trek: The Next Generation," "JAG," "The X Files," "Falling Skies," and the updated version of "Hawaii Five-0". O'Quinn most recently starred as Gavin Doran in the ABC supernatural series, "666 Park Avenue".

Rumors at one time indicated that actor Bryan Cranston had been cast as Lex Luthor but this ultimately turned out to be false with Cranston himself saying that it was not true.

Until such time that Warner Bros. releases an official statement confirming the casting of Lex Luthor in the 2015 film, please take this latest news with a grain of salt and treat it as strictly rumor for now.

Other recent rumors have indicated that various actors are also in contention for the roles of both Wonder Woman and Nightwing. However, it remains to be seen whether or not either character will actually appear in the film.

The yet-to-be-titled follow-up to "Man of Steel" will hit theaters on July 17, 2015 and will feature Ben Affleck's debut as Batman/Bruce Wayne alongside returning stars Henry Cavill as Superman/Clark Kent, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Diane Lane as Martha 'Ma' Kent, and Laurence Fishburne as Perry White.

http://www.supermansupersite.com/1111831.html

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Until such time that Warner Bros. releases an official statement confirming the casting of Lex Luthor in the 2015 film, please take this latest news with a grain of salt and treat it as strictly rumor for now.

Yeah.

Also...

Not exactly what I call a reputable news source...

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission said:

Yeah.

Also...

Not exactly what I call a reputable news source...

it may be a qustionable source but are you really going to argue that no comic site attented this thing? it was at a comedy club where my cousin works ( no lie)

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: I never said no one did.

All I said was

• its a rumor
    • not a reputable source

We are getting new rumors every week about this movie. So yeah...not going to make a big deal out of any of it =P

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't like it, he's good but not Luthor material, Cranston or Ralph Fiennes will be cool. Hope this is another false rumor.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: I never said no one did.

All I said was

• its a rumor
    • not a reputable source

We are getting new rumors every week about this movie. So yeah...not going to make a big deal out of any of it =P

i think lex will be in hence the easter eggs because remember the wayne satelite was in as well wich ended up introducing batman when nobody really expected honestly. i really dont think it can be anyone else other than lex simply because the first film already touched on zod trying to destroy earth so bringing in someone like braniac or even dark seid is kind of like saying hey kids heres man of steel 2 exactly the same as the last one big baddie trys to eliminate the earth.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: Oh, I think Lex will be in it for sure.

I just think they probably all ready casted the guy who's playing him and are waiting to announce it

They casted Ben as Batman WAY before they even announced the movie at ComicCon

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Haven't seen this dude in anything.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TazzMission

@tazzmission: Oh, I think Lex will be in it for sure.

I just think they probably all ready casted the guy who's playing him and are waiting to announce it

They casted Ben as Batman WAY before they even announced the movie at ComicCon

pffft i bet the script was done wile mos was already being shot

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@tazzmission: Naw...not that quick. But the script was done before the movie was released for sure.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was in Lost, he's pretty good actually but I can't see him as Luthor.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: Naw...not that quick. But the script was done before the movie was released for sure.

i believe ign reported a man of steel 2 was already being penned wile mos was being shot. now a days alot of people pull a peter jackson and follow the shoot 2 or 3 films back to back that way it saves having to worry about waiting 3 years and the actors getting older. look at zoe saldan chick is in her early 30's ( stunning as hell) and she said the next 3 avatar films will be done back to back since each one could take 4 years a piece if they did them one at a time.. or when captain america was being shot winter soilder was already being scripted. its like now hollywood is continuing that trend

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: the main reason they do they is for cost, moreso than ages

the 3 LOTR films costed like 90~ mil a piece. That's nothing for what they made.

Its alot cheaper to go back to back

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@deranged_midget said:

Truthfully, I've only ever seen about an episode or two of Lost. I still think Mark Strong should be the frontrunner for Luthor.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@deranged_midget said:

Truthfully, I've only ever seen about an episode or two of Lost. I still think Mark Strong should be the frontrunner for Luthor.

ill be honest i personally am kind of tired seeing the same villain over and over again like luthor. maybe and this is just a shot in the dark but why not introduce Isabel Rochev it be a nice fresh breath of air and wouldnt feel like ive seen it a million times before

i could say get summer glau to do it but i actually wouldnt mind a recast since the two universes of both this and the arrow tv show are seperate.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah he'd be great as Luthor, I think Cranston or Fiennes will be great too.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ill be honest i personally am kind of tired seeing the same villain over and over again like luthor. maybe and this is just a shot in the dark but why not introduce Isabel Rochev it be a nice fresh breath of air and wouldnt feel like ive seen it a million times before

i could say get summer glau to do it but i actually wouldnt mind a recast since the two universes of both this and the arrow tv show are seperate.

I'm tired of seeing the same villain represented in the same fashion over and over again. I have no problem seeing the character utilized again but in a unique way, which I feel they accomplished in spades with Shannon's Zod. I feel like Luthor should kind of play a background role in the next film, possibly posing a threat but supporting other villains like Metallo or Parasite from the sidelines to take on Superman.

I think Cranston shot down those rumours, Fiennes would be interesting.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TazzMission

@deranged_midget said:

@tazzmission said:

I'm tired of seeing the same villain represented in the same fashion over and over again. I have no problem seeing the character utilized again but in a unique way, which I feel they accomplished in spades with Shannon's Zod. I feel like Luthor should kind of play a background role in the next film, possibly posing a threat but supporting other villains like Metallo or Parasite from the sidelines to take on Superman.

or now that i think of it. maybe luthor should be the one where hes running for president

beats seeing the whole im a mastermind thing for the umteenth time

they could have him as a canidate and also maybe use wayne enterprises to i guess you can say donate or contributor.

have him be the one that talks about the destruction of metropolis and create a fear amongst the people that superman isnt a hero but more of a legitament danger. this would be the perfect way to finally shut the people up who cry and moan about 50'000 people dying in buildings. lex can use resources once he becomes president to go through the rubble of metropolis. this would maybe be the jumping off point for batman to kind of question hey is this alien as bad as luthor made him out to be and thats what leads into the fight.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know, I'm just saying he could be great, and he could still be Luthor, he should still be one of the major candidates for Luthor and if not Luthor then definitely Gordon.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@deranged_midget said:

I know, I'm just saying he could be great, and he could still be Luthor, he should still be one of the major candidates for Luthor and if not Luthor then definitely Gordon.

He would definitely fit Gordon better! he did a fantastic job voicing Gordon in Year One.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would definitely fit Gordon better! he did a fantastic job voicing Gordon in Year One.

I know, but he can ft Luthor too, I actually think he'd be better than Strong.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RDClip

I like Terry O'Quinn, but he's too old to play Lex. He was too old back when Lost began airing. I prefer Lex as a mid-30, physically imposing genius. He should seem to be the best at everything, mental and physical.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People always say Idris Elba with a bunch of black characters, the truth Elba should be a huge character and get to show everybody why he is so great.

So... IDRIS ELBA FOR LEX LUTHOR OR NO LEX LUTHOR AT ALL!!!

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Mega_spidey01

Walton Goggins from justified sgould be Lex Luthor.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
    Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

or now that i think of it. maybe luthor should be the one where hes running for president

they could have him as a canidate and also maybe use wayne enterprises to i guess you can say donate or contributor.

have him be the one that talks about the destruction of metropolis and create a fear amongst the people that superman isnt a hero but more of a legitament danger. this would be the perfect way to finally shut the people up who cry and moan about 50'000 people dying in buildings. lex can use resources once he becomes president to go through the rubble of metropolis. this would maybe be the jumping off point for batman to kind of question hey is this alien as bad as luthor made him out to be and thats what leads into the fight.

Yes, yes, yes!

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget said:

@tazzmission said:

I said this when talking about the JL villain, talk about how better is Lex as a master mind villains and sets DC to be another type of cinematic universe, by not using Darkseid.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#28  Edited By Black_Claw

@rdclip said:

I like Terry O'Quinn, but he's too old to play Lex. He was too old back when Lost began airing. I prefer Lex as a mid-30, physically imposing genius. He should seem to be the best at everything, mental and physical.

Same. Unfortunately all the actors I can think of to play Lex are all too old now. And I can't think of any relatively young actors to play him right now.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Please be true please be true please be true

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TazzMission

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@tazzmission said:

@deranged_midget said:

@tazzmission said:

I said this when talking about the JL villain, talk about how better is Lex as a master mind villains and sets DC to be another type of cinematic universe, by not using Darkseid.

i just dont want to see the same lex we have had since the 70's. id love a fresh new take wich is why the president luthor idea is what i suggested. i mean holy sh*t how great would a master mind be in a politician role?

also i know this is out of left feild but i guess since batman will be older than kal-el after the whole fight thing do you think batman should be supermans mentor and be the good ras al ghul and give him insight on how to deal with not killing any villains?

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TazzMission

@dctv3363 said:

@tazzmission said:

Yes, yes, yes!

thats the route they need to go. yea they could do millers version but it wouldnt really kill anyone if they kinda did there own version of a batman vs superman/ dark knight returns story wise. if i was directing thats the way id do it but again not a purist of either hero but i am already coming up with ideas how a live action version would look that dosent come off as tacky or shumackerish. i mean holy sh*t i got a scene going on in my head right now how the whole krpytonite thing can work in the fight.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: Lex Luthor problem in the movies, is that he is never a real problem for the heroes.

President Luthor show he can hide in front of everybody and how he can control people, it shows how above people he is and make him the biggest villain to fear.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TazzMission

@tazzmission: Lex Luthor problem in the movies, is that he is never a real problem for the heroes.

President Luthor show he can hide in front of everybody and how he can control people, it shows how above people he is and make him the biggest villain to fear.

exactly! thats the only way i can see luthor working in this picture. heck he'd be a genious once president he can really throw superman under the bus and maybe even trick batman into thinking hey this guy ( superman) is a real threat.

fear mongoring at its best

Avatar image for theformermarionettegeist
    Theformermarionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

exactly! thats the only way i can see luthor working in this picture. heck he'd be a genious once president he can really throw superman under the bus and maybe even trick batman into thinking hey this guy ( superman) is a real threat.

An America under President Lex Luthor would also make for a pretty cool backgroud for the Justice League movie (and any other DC movies). The possibilities are endless.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

An America under President Lex Luthor would also make for a pretty cool backgroud for the Justice League movie (and any other DC movies). The possibilities are endless.

for jla this may seem outside the box but id love to see black adam for the villain

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Guys, Lex Luthor as president give you chances of Luthor use other villains, like i said he could even use the Suicide Squad or other groups of heroes to stop them.

Also it builds Luthor like a villain for everybody, it shows people Luthor is such a threat, even the other heroes have to face him in one way or another, besides it shows how much he can do and how much he will do to obtain the victory.

Avatar image for theformermarionettegeist
    Theformermarionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chicken_chokergeist said:

@tazzmission said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Guys, Lex Luthor as president give you chances of Luthor use other villains, like i said he could even use the Suicide Squad or other groups of heroes to stop them.

Also it builds Luthor like a villain for everybody, it shows people Luthor is such a threat, even the other heroes have to face him in one way or another, besides it shows how much he can do and how much he will do to obtain the victory.

Exactly.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.