Would U Buy It? #111: Legends of the Dead Earth: Superman

Posted by cbishop (15743 posts) - - Show Bio
DateWUBI #111:View:Attached to Forum:Last Issue:
07/09/19Legends of the Dead Earth: Superman(Blog) (Forum)Legends of the Dead Earth.WUBI #110.

We all have trade paperback (TPB) collections we'd like to see. Here's one of mine:

Proposed Title:Legends of the Dead Earth: Superman.
Alternate Title:
  • Elseworlds: Superman, Volume 3. (or whatever volume number is next at the time)
Collecting 6 Issues:
  • Superman Annual #8.
  • Action Comics Annual #8.
  • Adventures of Superman Annual #8.
  • Superman: The Man of Steel Annual #5.
  • Superboy Annual #3.
  • Supergirl Annual #1.
Covers: (click to enlarge)
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8Gallery image 9Gallery image 10
TPB Cover: Superman: The Man of Steel Annual #5
TPB Cover: Superman: The Man of Steel Annual #5

Legends of the Dead Earth (LDE) was the theme for DC's 1996 annuals. Basically a unified Elseworlds theme, it was a post-apocalyptic future where Earth was dead, and humans had fled to the stars with their heroes to protect them. Generations later, those heroes were legends of the dead Earth, and their successors were carrying on in their names, for good or for ill.

Legends of the Dead Earth: Superman would be a collection of the annuals from the six Superman family titles. See everything from lone survivors to six supermen with one each of Supes' powers despite the consequences to their own lives. Honestly, I don't remember everything about the LDE stories, but I remember the feeling that these stories shown a light on the nature of heroism, and what made the DCU heroes great.

Since it is basically an Elseworlds, I suggested the alternate title of Elseworlds: Superman, Volume 3 (or whatever volume number is next at the time of publication). The series is already established, and being part of the series might help the book to sell better than if it was a standalone volume.

For the cover, I'd go with Superman: The Man of Steel Annual #5. The heroic pose with other figures in the sky just says "legend." I kind of like the Superman Annual #8 cover better, but looking at it on its own, it's hard to tell if those guys are fighting to save something or tear it apart.

Would you buy it? Let me know in the comments, and thanks for reading.
#1 Edited by cbishop (15743 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Edited by cbishop (15743 posts) - - Show Bio
#111: Legends of the Dead Earth: Superman
#111: Legends of the Dead Earth: Superman

#3 Posted by cbishop (15743 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, a CV bug is currently keeping pics from popping up when clicked on. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon. Thanks for your patience. -cb

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.