Follow

Layla Miller

Character » Layla Miller appears in 542 issues.

Originally a key figure in the House of M, Layla Rose Miller is a mutant and member of X-Factor Investigations. She is famous for her catch phrase "I know stuff", which stems from her comprehensive knowledge of future events. She recently married James Madrox like she always claimed would happen.

Layla Miller; Mary Sue or one of the best ideas from X-Writers

A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 2

Edited By A-Strondinaire

So Innocent so retcon accessible
    So Innocent so retcon accessible
    Remeber little Layla Miller appearing in House of M with the cryptic message "I know stuff" as an answer to any questions about her power. The one who helped overcome M-Day by reviving Marvel's finest during there fantasies? I'm sure you probably do if you never read a comic or stopped reading comics during 2005. Well now Layla's all grown up with her knowledge of the impending fall of mutants and maybe the cure to it. This sounds almost like Hope's future biography but it also sounds like a Mary Sue. For those that don't know a Mary Sue or Canon sue in this case is the boasting of a girl character and it seems to me Ms. Miller fits the description. 

Now don't get me wrong Layla was starting to become a favorite, but now hows she's being written it just screams Deadly genesis she's just being slid into places important to X-Men's history, even now with her making Bishop crazy. It's clusterfricking everything in the X time continum especially now with Hope and the unsureness of her future that Bishop has claimed. Not to mention if Layla knows all this stuff shouldn't she be with the X-Men telling them these things instead of running around with X-Factor and being all mysterious with Doom and whatnot? On the other hand Layla could be a great go to girl for events and their writers who've written themselves into hole, which I'm sure is being planned now as we speak. Layla could be waiting for Hope to manifest and come saying "I knew this would happen now everybody do this!" It seems to me the more mysterious a character is the more anybody can use the excuse no one ever said she couldn't do it or no one ever said she didn't know, (who knows she probably found some heroes diary and learned other useful things) and the more mysterious the character the more confusion and chaos writers don't have to own up to. 

Not to mention with the Layla theory; if she raises the dead and their cells only to be heartless evil S.O.B.S does that mean there will be a future evil Marvel heroes event coming up (after her healing of MU after sed House of M). All I know is at each turn Layla get's something and after that they come up with some retcon as to why she can't do this (So far her ability to know things has a drawback, she has blindspots and Her main Mutant powers resurrection as stated earlier souless monsters), but either way Layla has a lot to own up to for making Bishop psychotic (which is becoming clear she might be the reason for Messiah Wars and Bishop actually believing Hope is trouble),  Befriending Doom, and her reasons for knowing stuff and not sharing. 
    That's right Miller, stand there with that M eyesore thinking you have it all figured out. keeping answers so you can look like the hero. The Marvel U's on to you sister!
    That's right Miller, stand there with that M eyesore thinking you have it all figured out. keeping answers so you can look like the hero. The Marvel U's on to you sister!

Avatar image for weareallskrulls
    weareallskrulls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1  Edited By weareallskrulls

sweet

luckynitro007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By luckynitro007
    @angelyn:
    nice keep it up!
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By jordama

Layla can't just go running around changing everything that she wants. she has said before that she isn't supposed to have freewill in a lot of these matters. She has to do certain things to keep the universe going. She had to get trapped in the future, had to stay out of the scene while her younger self did stuff. she has been given the job of making sure events stay the way they have to, she didn't make bishop insane, but made sure he still came back when he did because if he didn't all of 616 would be thrown out of wack.
    Chesapeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Chesapeake

Excellent ideas in this text!!

MichonneHack27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By MichonneHack27

This has made me lately wonder if Layla was a good idea or not. I think I liked her a lot in the begining. But as they did this whole "destined wife thing", making Bishop psycho, and resurrecting people. It does give you the idea of wondering if she is a mary sue
    A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6  Edited By A-Strondinaire
    @jordama:
    @MichonneHack27: 
    I liked her alot in the begininng too I thought maybe she'll be a greater asset to the Marvel universe as a whole not off in a little niche such as X-Factor. Now don't get me wrong X-Factor is pretty cool but doesn't get much recognition in the great big scheme of things also known as Marvel canon so almost everything important that she knows will barely get accessed. I'm sure everyone still wonders how Miller changed a whole universe and to get put with a team like X-Factor while causing damages, forming bonds, and with-holding knowledge just further complicates it without her being really out in Marvel's spotlight, especially since almost nothing got answered about her back in House of M. I suppose time travelling really messes with things
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Mary Sue. Worse yet, pseudo-quirky-intellectual Mary Sue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.