Follow

Kyle Rayner

Character » Kyle Rayner appears in 1664 issues.

Originally thought to be chosen by chance, it was later revealed that Ganthet chose Kyle Rayner because he had the ability to harness the powers of the emotional spectrum. Once the Torchbearer of the Green Lantern Corps, Kyle graduated to the role Ganthet had intended for him: the White Lantern. After the White Ring is separated into seven rings, Kyle returns to being a Green Lantern Corpsman.

What Really Happened With Kyle Rayner and the Omega Men?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

Back in March, the solicit for June's OMEGA MEN #1 revealed a pretty shocking fact about Kyle Rayner's role in the DC Universe. If you've somehow managed to avoid it since then, it could be considered a bit of a spoiler.

The Omega Men are back in an all-new series! They’ve murdered White Lantern Kyle Rayner and now, the universe wants them to pay! Who are these intergalactic criminals – and is there more to their actions than meets the eye?

Kyle Rayner murdered?

At first that seemed like a pretty big piece of information to reveal in a solicitation three months before the issue goes on sale. The fact that it was in the past tense would indicate the act would either happen at the very beginning of the issue or before the release. DC did reveal there would be 8-page back up previews in the May Convergence tie in issues.

In the preview for THE OMEGA MEN, we see Kyle Rayner has apparently been captured. He's dragged to a chair in what appears to be a live feed. (You can get a digital version of the preview HEREor on the DC app).

No Caption Provided

The guy talking, Primus, goes on and on about their religious beliefs and how they've bled for years trying to keep their ideals while others have tried to take them away. It sounds a little like a speech he gave way back in 1983's OMEGA MEN #1. You can see Primus' hair was more flowing back then.

No Caption Provided

It seems Kyle, in his role as the White Lantern, was trying to negotiate a pact between the opposing factions. It didn't quite go as he had hoped.

No Caption Provided

Primus eventually finishes his speech and places the blame on those watching. Kyle manages to say a few words to Carol Ferris before Tigorr comes on screen.

No Caption Provided

It looks like that's the end of Kyle. Really? Would DC really kill a characters that's been around for over twenty-one years in a free preview comic? Would they really reveal the death months early in a solicitation without any bells or whistles? Maybe it's because death for Kyle Rayner isn't something new. He did "die" in 2010's GREEN LANTERN CORPS #42 and was recently believed to be dead after fighting Relic in the Lights Out story arc. Would he really try to fake his death again?

We just find it hard to believe this is the end for Kyle. In the same preview, at the beginning, why would Broot show Kyle so much concern for his comfort?

No Caption Provided

Maybe it's because Broot, in the past depiction, was from a more spiritual race and he wan't too keen on violence (until his son was murdered).

Looking at the "transmission," I do wonder what's up with the glitches during the "video"? It happens at the beginning, right before Kyle's death, and then that's how it cuts out. Maybe these spacefaring aliens didn't have the most advanced video recording or transmitting technology.

No Caption Provided

The solicitation for THE OMEGA MEN #2 just states the team is on the run after everyone's witnessed the murder of the White Lantern. What else would they expect?

Series writer, Tom King, has stated despite this murder, he's not sure if the Omega Men are good guys or bad guys. He's also said Kyle's story is not over.

What seems more likely is Kyle is working with the Omega Men. Perhaps the Omega Men need to put on the appearance of being cold ruthless murderers. If Kyle is working with them in creating this villainous image, it could be they need to enter some dark and seedy areas in the Universe. Being seen as killers could be their way to sit at the grown-ups' table among the universe's most wanted. If the Omega Men aren't necessarily good or bad guys, it could be they're willing to go to extreme measures to accomplish their goals. Pretending to be killers and intimidating others could be one possible tactic.

Or maybe they really did kill poor Kyle.

Obviously we'll have to wait until June to find if he's going undercover, working with them. NEW GUARDIANS did come to an end in March. If he's not, he has returned from the dead before. Let's hope there's still a place for Kyle in the DCU.

What do you think really happened in the OMEGA MEN preview?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Very interesting.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Kyle Raynor faked his death a year ago just to come back and reveal he wasn't dead, to go on and fake his death.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Excited for this book

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I AM BROOT!

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By theMightyMODOK

That scene made me unexpectedly quite sad. I've never had a strong connection to Kyle but it hit a cord.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think he's gonna die. But I do get tired of the many death teases he received.

OUTBREAK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OUTBREAK666

Very cool

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This looks really really good

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

The scene was really well paced and beautiful.

They really captured the terrorist hostage video atmosphere. It actually made me interested on the title.

So Bravo Dc, those Sneak Peeks seem to be a good idea.

doombot890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nice, now bring back Vril Dox

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont see him dieing....

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

@doombot890 patient young one. first we bring back the Omega men, and once they are loved we then bring back the galaxy's greatest green skinned leader/jerk and his supprisingly diverse intergalactic police force.

Shadowstare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Didn't Kyle Lantern go past the source wall and came back.

2. As the White Lantern doesn't he have a connection to the anti-life or life equation?

If either of those are true, I doubt he dies so easily.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Zeeguy91

All of the sneak peaks so far have been pretty great. They got me to pre-order this title, Green Arrow #41, Midnighter #1, and Starfire #1.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I don't know anything about the Omega Men but I did like the preview so I'll probably pick this up when it comes out. As for Kyle, I don't think he's dead. If he is part of this book too it's even more incentive to check it out for myself as he's my favorite lantern

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

Probably just a bait and switch.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I really like this preview. It's unique and provocative and really makes the book stand out. I'm hoping this is a space opera book I can really sink my teeth in to.

Also the reason for "killing" Kyle would be because Lanterns aren't aloud in the Vega system since it's under the jurisdiction of the Citadel so nobody get's to see how brutal the dictatorship is. But if the Omega Men kill a Lantern that will force the Corps to pay attention and maybe even send an attachment.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally I wouldn't want to see a character die but after the whole Carol/Kyle ordeal, I feel unnatural happiness when something gonna happen to Kyle. Can't explain it but that relationship really made me hate Kyle ( And Carol for that matter ) and he was one of my favorites before New 52.

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Looks like another ISIS beheading..

katzmandue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By katzmandue

I think the story of Kyle on camera and having his neck cut, is tastless and disgusting. Taking the scenes from what is really happening with ISIS killing hostages on TV by cutting of their heads with a knife.

You think this is entertaining? DC comics have gone to an all time low.

DC executives should be ashamed of allowing this to even be thought of making jest of. All readers who are stuck in the land of 'make believe' that think this storyline is awesome, grow up, get a job, and move out of your parents basement!

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the story of Kyle on camera and having his neck cut, is tastless and disgusting. Taking the scenes from what is really happening with ISIS killing hostages on TV by cutting of their heads with a knife.

You think this is entertaining? DC comics have gone to an all time low.

DC executives should be ashamed of allowing this to even be thought of making jest of. All readers who are stuck in the land of 'make believe' that think this storyline is awesome, grow up, get a job, and move out of your parents basement!

its a comicbook and probably a fake out with some plot twist in my opinion its not worth getting so upset over ...isis didn't create beheadings or slitting throats

katzmandue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasquatch888: No one said anything about ISIS creating beheadings. (Wow) Point was that we have terrorists 'right now' doing that in the current news that is a sensitive subject. Where do you think the idiots at DC got their idea for this camera execution from. I know you aren't that blind or ignorant. I dont care if its a comic book or not. Does it make it ok to rape female superhero just because its not reality? If you think that way, there is something wrong with you.

How do you make a movie about stabbing and killing and war, with blood and guts spewing out all over the screen and make it PG13? Make it about robots in disguise. People have demented minds. Comics didnt need every punch with blood splatting everywhere to have loyal readers. Didnt need the Blob eating the Wasp's intentines and smiling about it to sell comics.

Its pathetic.

katzmandue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasquatch888: No one said anything about ISIS creating beheadings. (Wow) Point was that we have terrorists 'right now' doing that in the current news that is a sensitive subject. Where do you think the idiots at DC got their idea for this camera execution from. I know you aren't that blind or ignorant. I dont care if its a comic book or not. Does it make it ok to rape female superhero just because its not reality? If you think that way, there is something wrong with you.

How do you make a movie about stabbing and killing and war, with blood and guts spewing out all over the screen and make it PG13? Make it about robots in disguise. People have demented minds. Comics didnt need every punch with blood splatting everywhere to have loyal readers. Didnt need the Blob eating the Wasp's intentines and smiling about it to sell comics.

Its pathetic.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katzmandue: Some people don't want to live in the generic tone downed, sterilized Age of Outrage where anything even slightly provocative is bitched and complained about just so a few people get to feel self righteous.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Maddpanda531

I'm actually really looking forward to this series. I've wanted to get more into DC Cosmic, but the Green Crossover was a bit too much for me.

TacoRev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By TacoRev

@katzmandue:These thing are a fact of life a writer shouldn't be afraid to do such things because these things happen, to be offended by its is your right but in a universe full of villains it is only natural.

Nolidoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nolidoli

@sgtsasquatch: Wow fair response that's an interesting way to look at it, I'm not sure when that line is fair for a writer to cross still, but those words are something to consider.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

@wowlock said:

Normally I wouldn't want to see a character die but after the whole Carol/Kyle ordeal, I feel unnatural happiness when something gonna happen to Kyle. Can't explain it but that relationship really made me hate Kyle ( And Carol for that matter ) and he was one of my favorites before New 52.

I know where you're coming from, I started feeling the same way towards Tim Drake ever since he took the mantle of Batman Beyond. Even when futures end finished I felt happy that he still turned out as a failure.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wowlock said:

I know where you're coming from, I started feeling the same way towards Tim Drake ever since he took the mantle of Batman Beyond. Even when futures end finished I felt happy that he still turned out as a failure.

Don't get me started on Future's End. For Tim , I just read the Convergence Batgirl issues to feel better.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

@wowlock said:
    @gustavoburciaga1 said:
    @wowlock said:

Don't get me started on Future's End. For Tim , I just read the Convergence Batgirl issues to feel better.

I had to read Speed Force to even crack a smile after that disaster.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I'm surprised people are getting so worked up about the possibility of Kyle dying. Since when has the fact that a character has been around for a long time kept them from being killed off? Also, I thought these were actual sneak peaks at the comics, not just teaser comics. I'm not saying that DC is definitely killing off Kyle, but its not a complete impossibility.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mysoulz

Definitely picking it up because of Kyle's appearance. Interesting to see how this story turns out.

@jonny_anonymous said:

I really like this preview. It's unique and provocative and really makes the book stand out. I'm hoping this is a space opera book I can really sink my teeth in to.

Also the reason for "killing" Kyle would be because Lanterns aren't aloud in the Vega system since it's under the jurisdiction of the Citadel so nobody get's to see how brutal the dictatorship is. But if the Omega Men kill a Lantern that will force the Corps to pay attention and maybe even send an attachment.

When the last time have that ever being mentioned regarding the restriction of trespassing the Vega System?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.