Follow

Kyle Higgins

Person » Kyle Higgins is credited in 505 issues.

Kyle Higgins is an American writer/director who has worked primarily for Marvel and DC Comics. He got his start from a short film he directed and co-wrote, titled THE LEAGUE, about the Superhero Labor Union of 1960's Chicago.

Interview: Kyle Higgins Talks C.O.W.L. and Super-Hero Unions

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

C.O.W.L. is a series that's doing many things I like. One thing is particular is combining the idea of super-heroes with some aspects of the real-world. We often read stories where the heroes put everything on the line in order to do their duty and save others. This usually means with no compensation.

Kyle Higgins and Alec Siegel, with Rod Reis on art, are taking these topics and more in C.O.W.L. Set in the 1960s, we're seeing a super-hero union in Chicago. C.O.W.L. was inspired by Higgins and Siegel's short film, The League and we're now seeing the ideas and characters in a super-hero union expanded upon. C.O.W.L. #5 is on sale this week and where we left off was C.O.W.L. was on strike.

We asked Kyle a few questions about the concept of the series and what we can expect in this week's issue.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: How much research have you done over the years about different sorts of unions?

KYLE HIGGINS: I’ll be honest—initially, when we made The League, Alec and I didn’t do much research. We were more interested in using the idea of a superhero labor union as a backdrop for the relationship between a former sidekick and his older, morally compromised mentor, as well as exploring the murder mystery and some of the moral questions that came out of the concept. The story was a bit glossy as far as the mechanics of the union went, since we only had twenty five minutes to world build and tell our story. However, over the last couple years, we’ve spent a lot of time researching the labor movememnt and unions throughout history, as we built the rules for C.O.W.L. and how the organization functions within the city of Chicago.

CV: With C.O.W.L. on strike, what happens if someone crosses the picket line or if new heroes are found to take their place in times of need?

KH: That’s a great question, and something we deal with pretty heavily starting in issue five. C.O.W.L.’s jurisdiction applies to costumed and super powered crime. At the moment, there doesn’t appear to be very much of that in Chicago. But what happens if that changes and C.O.W.L. is still on strike? Are the heroes and the organization prepared to do nothing, in order to secure their future? Even if that means people getting hurt? For us, that’s the ethical question that comes into play on a hero-by-hero basis. If you go around the locker room, you’ll find quite the difference of opinion.

No Caption Provided

CV: Talk about the decision some members have made to continue fighting crime anonymously.

KH: In the case of Eclipse and Radia, there’s a focus to their efforts—tearing apart Camden Stone’s operation. Eclipse started this as retaliation for what one of Camden’s men did to Grant (Eclipse’s partner), and enlisted Radia for muscle… but now it’s morphed into something a bit bigger, with Radia really enjoying the work.

Keep in mind, aside from the opening Skylancer fight, most of Radia’s work in C.O.W.L. has involved posing for cameras, signing autographs, and being a pretty face. She’s sick of it, and when Eclipse comes along with the opportunity to go after a mob boss and his powered enforcers, she’s not about to turn it down. Of course, now that C.O.W.L. is on strike… Eclipse is in a weird spot—he’s as nine-to-five as they come. He believes in the union and stands with his fellow heroes. But by secretly crossing the line, he’s undermining what they stand for. He tries to justify it in his mind that it’s to help his partner, and he also genuinely enjoys his time with Radia, but if others found out what he was doing… it wouldn’t matter. He’d be in bad shape among his peers.

In my mind, the strike, the crossing of the picket line, the possible end of C.O.W.L.… these are all things that serve the greater purpose of the book, which is to explore how these characters deal with change. We’re using the organization as a way to force every person in the book to look in the mirror and confront—or shy away from—the type of person they really are.

CV: Are C.O.W.L. members paid through the city of Chicago?

KH: They are. C.O.W.L. has a contract with the city, and a budget, that they hire heroes with.

No Caption Provided

CV: If C.O.W.L. is the “world’s first superhero labor union,” is it the only one in 1962? Have other cities decided to implement something similar?

KH: There are other superhero organizations around the country, yes. However, each city is different.

CV: If a hero is on strike and suddenly lives are in danger, does it come down to personal beliefs whether or not to spring into action?

KH: Exactly. And of course, there are two school of thoughts as to what a hero should do in said situation.

CV: Will we see more of your world outside Chicago? Are there other superheroes out there?

KH: Yep.

CV: If a hero from another city or state passes through, are they “encouraged” not to use or display their powers?

KH: They’re not technically allowed to operate in Chicago unless they have permission and clearance from C.O.W.L. (there may actually be a temporary membership required, too, depending on circumstances). That said, if they happen to be in the city off-duty, and something happens… then depending on who they are, they might decide to get involved. If that’s the case, it could cause political problems.

CV: If there are super-heroes out there, are there also super-villains?

KH: There used to be. But, at least in Chicago, why would you put on a costume in a city controlled by a large organization of heroes whose entire purpose and jurisdiction is defined by you wearing a costume and/or displaying your powers?

Camden Stone’s organized crime ring is a good example of the way the world has changed. Super powers work for him under the table, as enforcers, extortion muscle, etc, without costumes and flashy displays of theirsuper powers. This creates a jurisdiction issue between C.O.W.L. and the Chicago Police, and up to this point… keeps them immune from C.O.W.L.

C.O.W.L. #5 by Kyle Higgins, Alec Siegel, and Rod Reis is on sale this week. Check out the preview along with a couple extra exclusive pages.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I love COWL. I love everything about it.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By slade_wilson

Really lovin' this book

Pierce has been a favorite character so far, can't wait to see how his story develops

Can't say enough about how much I love Rod Reis's art

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Lvenger

Really cool stuff, C.O.W.L. is shaping up to be an intriguing period piece of the 60s viewed through the lens of a story that's Mad Men and Watchmen combined so to speak. I've really enjoyed what Kyle, Alec and Rod have done so far and this interview promises a lot more intrigue, internal politics and superhero backstabbing. Sounds good to me.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@slade_wilson: Pierce is my favorite character too. Last issue Davis's attitude towards Geoffrey seemed to take a bit of a down swing. So I'm interested to see what develops there.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

art looks stellar but the story looks boring. might check it out

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

This book is good

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Its awesome

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

i wonder how long they have it fleshed out til...

15 issues? 20 issues? 30 issues?

rollingshadow7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rollingshadow7

This has become one of my favorite comics, and why I'm loving Image titles. It's packed with gorgeous art, it's meticulously detailed, and it has an intriguing storyline that looks well-planned. (There's also no ads that break the pacing during the story- a personal pet-peeve that I've learned to deal with)

I really recommend trying this book out if you're skeptical. Higgans & Team won't let you down.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stupid idea.

CoryNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I Love this book! I picked up every issue and several of the second printings. Rod Reis is amazing and Higgins and Siegel are killing it! I would highly recommend you to try and find the first five issues of this series or pick up the trade when it comes out.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

Stupid idea.

In your flawed opinion that is. Have you actually read C.O.W.L.?

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Not hating on the story. The idea of a Superhero union is beyond stupid and silly. Why ya gotta be mean man? D:

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@lvenger: Not hating on the story. The idea of a Superhero union is beyond stupid and silly. Why ya gotta be mean man? D:

So is the idea of a man defying the law of gravity whilst wearing his underpants on the inside out and fighting for Truth, Justice and The America Way. You can write off the entire superhero genre as being stupid and silly if you nitpick enough but that doesn't detract from the appeal of the genre nor how popular and mainstream it is to this day.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Apple and Oranges my friend. I can buy super powered individuals running in costumes saving the day, but I can't for one second take a worker's union of them being formed. Defeats the whole purpose.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@lvenger: Apple and Oranges my friend. I can buy super powered individuals running in costumes saving the day, but I can't for one second take a worker's union of them being formed. Defeats the whole purpose.

Really? Because to revert to my cynical self for a second, it sounds a lot more plausible that there would have been superhero unions and government run super teams in the 1960s. Compared to the idea of colourful characters running around fighting at will that Marvel and DC presented in their 60s comics, I do think COWL is presenting a more realistic look at the superhero genre.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: You're not getting way I'm saying. Best to leave it at to each their own.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo: OK, that's fine by me. Nice chat.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo: No that was a compliment on how pleasant the exchange was.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

havok85h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo: obviously I'm incredibly biased, but what you're saying is exactly what the series is about. The moral and ethical questions that exist as a result of-- and around-- an organization like this, not to mention how a hero is defined, is what we're exploring. Sorry you don't dig the idea

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havok85h: I can see what you would like that about that. I guess it just isn't my cup of tea like you said.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.