Follow

Knight and Squire

Volume »

Stemming from the pages of Batman, the British dynamic duo, Knight and Squire, take center stage in their very own mini series. Writer, Paul Cornell and artist, Jimmy Broxton are sure to put this across the pond duo through a gauntlet of new adventures with a new cast of characters around every corner.

Review: Knight & Squire #1

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    The Knight and Squire solve some arguments and disputes going down in Britain's #1 superhero pub.

The Good

Cornell keeps the vibe fun, light and charming with some truly clever creations for the British comics scene. It all reminded me of some of the whimsical pun-based characters who've come out of the better Astro City stories. My favorites were definitely the Milkman and the British Joker. Broxton's art also has an appealing robustness that reminded me of Mark Buckingham's. You could almost smell the smoky air in this colorful zoo of a pub he renders.

The Bad

Chalk it up to British humor. While I enjoyed this, I'll admit that it's got a very specific audience (especially seasoned superhero readers who'd be amused enough by an exploration of Britain's capes community set entirely in a pub) that you might likely not fall into. It's a fun little romp, but it's honestly a little confusing between the dense usage of British slang and pop culture as well as the obfuscating twist at the end.

The Verdict - 3/5

I've liked this modern interpretation of the Knight and Squire since their introduction in Morrison and McGuiness' Ultramarines story line - - so it's fun to see them get their own stories following their appearance in Batman & Robin. That being said, I wonder if this would've been better served as a feature in an 80 page giant, because I really can't picture how it's going to sustain an entire mini. 
    ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ForbushBug

I'm part of that very specific audience and loved the preview pages for this, so I'll be grabbing this Dynamic Duo's adventures.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By longbowhunter

Like Knight and Squire. Like Paul Cornell. Did not like the preview I read for this book. What a shame.
    Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

What? Only a 3? I adored this! Though I admit I do love the British sense of humor...

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Pizawle

This looks quite charming. The art is nice and Cornell is a great writer.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By kennybaese

I think I'll flip through this when I hit the comic shop tomorrow, but I doubt I'm going to be picking this up in floppies, I'm thinking probably a trade. I dug the preview, and I love me some Knight and Squire, but I don't feel the need to really collect this. 

VisibleDucts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By VisibleDucts

I was laughing this new title off based on my introduction to the characters in the Black Casebook issues with them. But now all this talk of British humor ... I might end up giving it a try after all.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Eyz

I've been waiting for this one~
    Those two are pretty fun characters!
    Mainsteam? Maybe not, like you said, not everyone will dig Knight & Squire.
    But since when does everything needs to please everyone? :P

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Marshal Victory

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.